Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Akett posted:

It might just be me, but applying Death of the Author to a direct conversation seems like a dick move. When you have the other person available to clarify their position it's somewhat rude to not take advantage of that.

Asking for clarification is merely conversing. Harboring fears that you are surrounded by people who are only sarcastically liking something you don't like in order to get your goat about it, however, is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sassassin posted:

It will be interesting to see if Luke takes the lightsaber at the start of the next one.

It will be interesting also to see whether the filmmakers find that decision interesting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When is the next movie due? December?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Schwarzwald posted:

When is the next movie due? December?

December 15th.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

It will be interesting also to see whether the filmmakers find that decision interesting.

I'm confident they will because the whole set-up is that Luke disappeared for years. Why would he have done that unless he's done with all the fighting? And the whole thing goes back to the throne room in RotJ, so I doubt they'd just drop all that and have Luke jump right back into slicing people up with a lightsaber.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I'm confident they will because the whole set-up is that Luke disappeared for years. Why would he have done that unless he's done with all the fighting? And the whole thing goes back to the throne room in RotJ, so I doubt they'd just drop all that and have Luke jump right back into slicing people up with a lightsaber.

Obi-Wan went into hiding for years and was happy to pull out his lazer sword to dismember a guy; he never gave up being a warrior. I hope you're right about the next movie! I don't think it's a given, though, since he could have gone into hiding to distance himself from others, rather than from violence.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The real fun thing about Episode 8 is that it implicitly makes Episode 7 completely irrelevant the same way Episode 7 did with 6.

Luke kills the Emperor and, 40 years later, some kid shows up on his doorstep with a new mission. You can jump immediately from the end of 6 to the start of 8, and nothing is lost.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 13, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I recently watched Rogue One > New Hope > Return of the Jedi, and it's remarkable how well the story still holds up. Not that I think Empire is bad or superfluous at all, it just showed to me that the Machete Order dogma is dumb.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

New Hope > Return of the Jedi

I'd like to hear more about this part.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where's my teaser, gently caress.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Roth posted:

Wow, it already has more content than the first game.

I remember most of the theater was just laughing at it.

Actually, they were laughing with it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vintersorg posted:

Where's my teaser, gently caress.
Friday morning, if it premieres at the TLJ panel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

General Dog posted:

Actually, they were laughing with it.

Who knows? I definitely remember finding it more funny than really cool or anything. I was, like, 9 or 10 at the time though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hey Disney.

Hey.

HEY.

Release a trailer today, okay? Okay. Good.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The real fun thing about Episode 8 is that it implicitly makes Episode 7 completely irrelevant the same way Episode 7 did with 6.

Hell, Ep II makes Ep I redundant. Next to nothing from Ep I carries across.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

Hell, Ep II makes Ep I redundant. Next to nothing from Ep I carries across.

I think the knowledge of what Jedi are and how much they suck is important to understanding the first act of AotC.

But the films being able to stand for themselves as comprehensible stories without having seen each preceding episode is a strength rather than a weakness. Redundancy is fine when there are years between releases.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You're correct that it's a strength, but the films are far too different. Anakin in Ep I and Ep II not only have different actors, they have entirely different personalities. Qui Gon is barely references outside of a mention in Ep III. Jar-Jar is surgically removed. Ep I may as well be a standalone. It's good that they're independent, but that's less important when they're literally deemed 'episodes'.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I imagine the modern conception of "episodes" is a bit different now than it was for the serials Lucas was referencing with his structure. These days TV shows drip feed the audience every moment of the characters' lives, with shows like 24 taking that to an extreme that doesn't even end up unusual to watch. The economics of television means your sets aren't cost-effective unless you get 100 episodes out of them after all.

There are imaginary, mid-season filler episodes in the opening crawls of each movie. Some of them sound like they could have been pretty good, though.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

sassassin posted:

There are imaginary, mid-season filler episodes in the opening crawls of each movie. Some of them sound like they could have been pretty good, though.

There's a joke in here about Rogue One being mid season filler.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

Obi-Wan went into hiding for years and was happy to pull out his lazer sword to dismember a guy; he never gave up being a warrior. I hope you're right about the next movie! I don't think it's a given, though, since he could have gone into hiding to distance himself from others, rather than from violence.

Luke did give up being a warrior, he throws away his lightsaber at the end of RotJ. Obi Wan never has a moment like that, his "throw away my lightsaber" moment came and went and he decided to chop his good friend in half instead.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

aBagorn posted:

There's a joke in here about Rogue One being mid season filler.

I'd watch an uncanny-valley Leia (or Abbi Jacobson) slowly build up the legend/plausibly deniability of Boushh.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

I imagine the modern conception of "episodes" is a bit different now than it was for the serials Lucas was referencing with his structure. These days TV shows drip feed the audience every moment of the characters' lives, with shows like 24 taking that to an extreme that doesn't even end up unusual to watch. The economics of television means your sets aren't cost-effective unless you get 100 episodes out of them after all.

Man, if TLJ opens with Rey having spent the past few months training with Luke offscreen, I'll laugh my rear end off, but sadly, I think it's unlikely to happen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think Rian Johnson said it opens right where TFA ends at the hand off.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI5QodTtlME Stream now live

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Apparently , I'm just gonna be a mess every time they show a clip of Carrie.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
It is sad to see George under the yoke of these white slavers

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:wtf: George Lucas?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I knew he wouldn't have the willpower to stay away. The man just loves laser swords.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
gently caress the haters, I like George.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The man just loves laser swords.

That's why we're all here, right? We all love lazer swords and space airplanes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hoping he comes out and confirms that he will be directing the new Disney Princess Leia movie.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

BigglesSWE posted:

George Lucas being brilliant is canon.

"I'm not supposed to say this but it's still true: it's a film for 12 year olds"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

Same. I find it endearing that he can't let Star Wars go.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean he literally created Star Wars so I like George. I can't understand the people who hate him because of a children's film.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

He is so very obviously shy, but I think he mostly says interesting things, if he can just get them out.

Also he's politically sympathetic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vintersorg posted:

I think Rian Johnson said it opens right where TFA ends at the hand off.

Wrong movie, the hand off was in ESB.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Jar Jar being sith now canon. GG everyone.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Liam Neeson confirms Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

Wrong movie, the hand off was in ESB.

Boo this man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looke posted:

Liam Neeson confirms Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord