Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kwyndig posted:

Wasn't that kind of Pacific Rim?

Not entirely. The russian and Chinese robots were kinda representative of their respective cultures in some ways, but Gypsy Danger (ugh) and the australian robot just looked like generic japanese mechs. There wasn't anything particularly American or Australian about their designs, and definitely nothing anywhere near the lunacy of a dutch windmill robot or a statue of liberty cannon.

Plus all the cool foreign robots die in the first act and it becomes a one man show for the rest of the movie, which was the lamest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's no horse robot piloted by an actual horse so pacific rim can't hope to compare to g gundam

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In today's comic, Ronan will be played by a life size standee.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So Peter's plan is to hand over his sole bargaining chip and form of protection to the enemy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SilverSupernova posted:

So Peter's plan is to hand over his sole bargaining chip and form of protection to the enemy.

He can't drop him as it might hurt him slightly.

It's brilliant!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also Ronan is now the size of the sentry.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Sentry cradles Ronan like an infant and flies straight up back to the Kree Homeworld.

(Note: Ronan died on the way back to his home planet)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Way to abuse a shroom withdrawal, Spidey.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
The only thing I know about Gundam is that they're cheap plastic robots you can do fun things with.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 13, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Unkempt posted:

The onlt thing I know about Gundam is that they're cheap plastic robots you can do fun things with.

Those aren't Gundam.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Onmi posted:

Those aren't Gundam.

In that case I know nothing about Gundam.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Onmi posted:

Those aren't Gundam.

Sure are

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

Those aren't Gundam.

Those are Mocks from Gundam Build Fighters.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I watched Gundam once on Cartoon Network and it had sexy ghosts. That's my Gundam story.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

He's gonna web Ronan to the Sentry's hands.

Can't shroom stuff if you got Ronan on your shroom launchers bucko.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
He'll have to do it the hard way and just stomp Albuquerque into rubble.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

gleebster posted:

He'll have to do it the hard way and just stomp Albuquerque into rubble.

Starting Peters quest to find another Kree.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Starting Peters quest to find another Kree.

Just a full body suit of various suffocating Kree glued all over the Sentry.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Unkempt posted:

You know, he could adapt this technique to regular crime-fighting. Like, if there's a bank robber or something with a gun, he could find someone the guy wouldn't shoot, like his wife or a child or someone, then just do basically the same thing.

Isn't that how he beat the Sandman years ago? Like, before or after the vacuum thing.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Weekday colourist :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If tearing it apart was always an option, why was this robot such a problem. They really made it seem like it was sturdier than that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've heard of a Monkey Wrench but this is ridiculous!!

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
now that I have performed the week long task of webbing an unconscious alien man to it's arms, I'm gonna rip its head off

with my bare hands

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lurdiak posted:

If tearing it apart was always an option, why was this robot such a problem. They really made it seem like it was sturdier than that.

How was Spidey going to get close enough without getting SHROOMED? He had to wait until the sentry had its Alzheimer's moment with Ronan first.

Also, Spidey's strong enough to rip open alien metal which is probably tougher than steel and meant to withstand the inside of a volcano, but he gets jobbed by a hungry Ronan in a diner with his toy hammer. Suuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrre.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 13, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

With this feat I'm pretty sure Newspaper Spidey has established that he's far, far physically stronger than his comics incarnation, because drat.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Android Blues posted:

With this feat I'm pretty sure Newspaper Spidey has established that he's far, far physically stronger than his comics incarnation, because drat.

Spider-Man has always been really loving strong. Proportional strength of a spider and all that. He's not one of the heavy hitters of the Marvel Universe (like Hulk and Thor, for example) but he's close.

There was a story some time ago where Doctor Octopus body-swapped with Spider-Man, and then went out to try and prove he could be a superhero too. On his first fight he was shocked to discover Peter Parker had always pulled his punches. How did Doc Ock find this out? He punched a dude in the face, nearly killing him as a result.

e. strength scales:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 13, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh sure, he's strong, but "tearing apart volcano-proof alien metal with his bare hands" is a new level compared to his comics benchmark.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Android Blues posted:

Oh sure, he's strong, but "tearing apart volcano-proof alien metal with his bare hands" is a new level compared to his comics benchmark.

Well, he's not a teenager anymore. Clearly peter parker ate his spinach.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:agreed:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

"The blaze with you all" is just a great line. I don't know why, but it is.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Weekday colourist :allears:

♫ I see a robot and I want it painted blue ♫

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

notthegoatseguy posted:

"The blaze with you all" is just a great line. I don't know why, but it is.

It's because his head's on fire.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah this whole arc has just been weirdly paced and laid out. Like, I could understand Spidey being able to beat the sentry in a fist fight but not being able to get close because of death rays and the fact that it attacked Albuquerque instead of somewhere he could web swing around in, but being able to just casually rip its head off after he disabled the death rays? That's just lazy writing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mikl posted:

e. strength scales:

There were also collectible card sets from the early 90's that had stat descriptor cards!

1 on most of them was Aunt May.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mikl posted:

There was a story some time ago where Doctor Octopus body-swapped with Spider-Man, and then went out to try and prove he could be a superhero too. On his first fight he was shocked to discover Peter Parker had always pulled his punches. How did Doc Ock find this out? He punched a dude in the face, nearly killing him as a result.

It was Scorpion and he knocked his jaw off. And Ock's first fight with Spidey was ended in one punch as soon as he got close enough because Doctor Octopus was just a regular dude with robot hands.

The entire Superior Spider-Man was worth it for Goblin's reaction to the man purse line because good god I have never seen so much hate crammed into one panel.

I loved that all it took was one bad joke for Goblin to know Pete was back in control. I also remember reading somewhere that his bad jokes are the reason other superheroes never wanted to work with him.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 13, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the proportionate strength of a spider is no joke in comic book universes. Spider-man could probably tear a person in half like wet tissue paper if he wasn't a good guy.

Push El Burrito posted:

I loved that all it took was one bad joke for Goblin to know Pete was back in control. I also remember reading somewhere that his bad jokes are the reason other superheroes never wanted to work with him.

It's a variety of things honestly. His terrible sense of humor is just one of them. Spider-man is like your broke cousin who keeps trying to make it in stand up but doesn't realize his one-liners just aren't professional level. Depending on whose writing him comics Spidey is a veritable magnet of misery, and most heroes don't want to get caught in his orbit in case any splashes onto them.

Edit: You'll notice that the few times he does team up for more than an issue it's been with groups like the Avengers, who are big enough to handle the fallout of a bad Spider-man day.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 13, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Isn't that how he beat the Sandman years ago? Like, before or after the vacuum thing.

I seem to recall he had to team up with Spider-Man (against Big Shot maybe?) and the bad guy had his daughter hostage. Sandman was like 'Welp, there's no way out of this pickle'.

But given the nature of NSM, I could be right, I could be waaaaay off

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Push El Burrito posted:

It was Scorpion and he knocked his jaw off. And Ock's first fight with Spidey was ended in one punch as soon as he got close enough because Doctor Octopus was just a regular dude with robot hands.

The entire Superior Spider-Man was worth it for Goblin's reaction to the man purse line because good god I have never seen so much hate crammed into one panel.

Superior Spiderman is awful, Dan Slott is an awful writer, that set of panels is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Push El Burrito posted:

I also remember reading somewhere that his bad jokes are the reason other superheroes never wanted to work with him.

Also because he's poor as poo poo and kinda pathetic (which I love) - here he is taking lil' Franklin Richards out for a hot dog to help make him feel better after his Uncle Johnny died:

:allears:

• Locked thread