Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

So I started playing notoriously buggy-but-cool videogame Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Starting a new character gives you an option to take a quiz to determine some of your starting stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In mass effect andromeda when using annihilation field, debris in the environment around you slowly gets lifted off the ground and floats around, then falls back down when the field moves away from it. it looks incredibly cool.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo By Design posted:

So I started playing notoriously buggy-but-cool videogame Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Starting a new character gives you an option to take a quiz to determine some of your starting stats.

Play through it at least once as a Malkavian. You get to talk to stop signs!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Save that for a second playthrough, or it spoils certain things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Although typically not directly. Most of the Malkavian stuff only makes sense if you've played the game before and know what's going on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something for mid-game in Persona 5, September specifically; On the trip to Hawaii, if you're dating Ann or Makoto you get a sweet little special scene with them if you choose to spend your free afternoon together :unsmith:.

Also the "Take Your Time" icon has a lei around the protagonist's neck :allears:.

I like how the load screens that have people walking around will change what kind of people appear based on where you are, and once Ryuji was just randomly walking through the load screen.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

marshmallow creep posted:

I like how the load screens that have people walking around will change what kind of people appear based on where you are, and once Ryuji was just randomly walking through the load screen.

I've definitely seen the weapon store owner walk by once or twice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

I've definitely seen the weapon store owner walk by once or twice.

I've seen Ann walk by too. I'm guessing it's like a 1% chance for it to mix in a Confidant.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Not just talk to a stop sign. You get into an argument with one and lose.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite Malk moment is using your insanity powers to convince someone you are the pet turtle they had growing up.

Edit: Here it is in video form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcYiSBhxLEM

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Apr 13, 2017

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Viperix posted:

Not just talk to a stop sign. You get into an argument with one and lose.

You've made a powerful enemy today, sign!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Malkavian and Nosferatu both should be played through at least once, but definitely not on the first go round. Malkavian is more just loving confusing to play the first time round rather than outright spoiling things because you have no idea what's going on. I mean I didn't get very far before saying gently caress this and switching to a Tremere (who also get special content, and I think an exclusive ending that nobody else can get).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hobo By Design posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is something that one of the fan restoration patches added back into the game, along with Fallout/Arcanum style personality traits at character creation that give you tradeoffs between bonuses and penalties.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is something that one of the fan restoration patches added back into the game, along with Fallout/Arcanum style personality traits at character creation that give you tradeoffs between bonuses and penalties.

On a sort-of related note Fallout New Vegas notably had a mod that added an extra option to one of the Rorschach tests you're shown during character creation (which are used to allocate your starting skills). This mod allowed you to correctly call the blot Two Bears High-Fiving because it totally is.

In the Honest Hearts DLC they had a nod to this in the form of a minor NPC named Two Bears High-Fiving, who shows up if you have the trait that makes silly stuff happen.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Baron Corbyn posted:

Malkavian and Nosferatu both should be played through at least once, but definitely not on the first go round. Malkavian is more just loving confusing to play the first time round rather than outright spoiling things because you have no idea what's going on. I mean I didn't get very far before saying gently caress this and switching to a Tremere (who also get special content, and I think an exclusive ending that nobody else can get).

No special ending, the one I assume you're talking about is accessible by anybody. They get a sick pad tho.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best thing to come out of VTM Bloodlines is that it inspired the Deus Ex Malkavian mod, which is a national treasure.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Guy Mann posted:

Aww that's a shame. I thought the patch was more vanilla than that. Guess I gotta read stuff more closely.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've sunk dozens of hours into Z:BotW just running around and finding shrines and whatever without doing really any part of the main quest, and it's just incredible how it keeps managing to surprise me.

Last night I was playing around and I found another fairy fountain. "Cool, I can upgrade my gear more" I thought to myself as I ran up. Then instead of a giant Rubenesque fairy popping out, there's a big freaky horse skeleton in a mask that offers to revive any dead horses I might have had. It even played up the surprise by threatening to kill me after popping out..."Hahaha, just kidding!"

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Digirat posted:

In mass effect andromeda when using annihilation field, debris in the environment around you slowly gets lifted off the ground and floats around, then falls back down when the field moves away from it. it looks incredibly cool.

I was playing the multiplayer the other day, and the annihilation field picked up an explosive barrel and moving it into the firing line of a friend just as he was firing his sniper, Cue barrel exploding right beside my head and argument of 'why the hell would you shoot that beside me?!' as it strips all my shields and half my life.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can also use Pull to pick up explosive canisters and leave them in OSHA-noncompliant places for your teammates to find during important moments.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is Josh.

He's one of the hackers in Watch_Dogs 2, and is autistic - specifically, he has Asperger's syndrome.

Except for a slightly clunky early mission which rushes to introduce the characters in a pretty one-dimensional way ("here's our perky artist girl, here's our crazy engineer, here's the hacker aspie!"), the game handles his mental health in a surprisingly fantastic way. While his Asperger's influences his personality and interactions with other people - he can interpret things too literally, struggles with body language, and finds it difficult to accept others might be at fault when something goes wrong - it's never held up as a major flag for the game to wave around, nor do any other characters stare at the camera and painstakingly explain Asperger's syndrome, what it is, where it comes from and so on.

Autism fleshes Josh out, it isn't defining him. He's not held up to any special standard, isn't the butt of any jokes, isn't presented as any better than the rest of the group (though he is certainly talented), and so on. When the game directly raises the issue of his Asperger's, it feels entirely natural and leads to further character building (specifically he's talking with another character about how advances in medical technology could solve a variety of health issues, and how he'd consider "fixing" himself on the condition it was reversible; as far as he's concerned he might not be the same person he would be without it).

I dunno, it really struck a chord with me. My brother has Asperger's and I've done a lot of work with people who suffer various mental health issues. Watch Dogs' characterization isn't particularly deep but it really, really took me by surprise in this instance.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

poptart_fairy posted:

This is Josh.

He's one of the hackers in Watch_Dogs 2, and is autistic - specifically, he has Asperger's syndrome.

Except for a slightly clunky early mission which rushes to introduce the characters in a pretty one-dimensional way ("here's our perky artist girl, here's our crazy engineer, here's the hacker aspie!"), the game handles his mental health in a surprisingly fantastic way. While his Asperger's influences his personality and interactions with other people - he can interpret things too literally, struggles with body language, and finds it difficult to accept others might be at fault when something goes wrong - it's never held up as a major flag for the game to wave around, nor do any other characters stare at the camera and painstakingly explain Asperger's syndrome, what it is, where it comes from and so on.

Autism fleshes Josh out, it isn't defining him. He's not held up to any special standard, isn't the butt of any jokes, isn't presented as any better than the rest of the group (though he is certainly talented), and so on. When the game directly raises the issue of his Asperger's, it feels entirely natural and leads to further character building (specifically he's talking with another character about how advances in medical technology could solve a variety of health issues, and how he'd consider "fixing" himself on the condition it was reversible; as far as he's concerned he might not be the same person he would be without it).

I dunno, it really struck a chord with me. My brother has Asperger's and I've done a lot of work with people who suffer various mental health issues. Watch Dogs' characterization isn't particularly deep but it really, really took me by surprise in this instance.

Well. He's the butt of one of Wrench's jokes (he tells Josh that the government is using mind control and Josh freaks out) but Marcus tells Wrench he's being an rear end in a top hat and Wrench goes to apologize after. When you talk to Josh after that he says it's something he's concerned about but they don't play that as a joke, which was good on the writers.

Watch Dogs 2 is legitimately a game that has well written NPCs around your main character. I was really surprised about that, but it makes me enjoy the game a lot more.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Well, after you guys pushed me the final bit to it, I scrimped until I could pick up Yakuza 0. Here's hoping I'm back to add some stuff to this thread in a day or so.

For actual content:
My cousin has been roping me into playing Terraria these past few months, and while I'm not a fan of the game, and there are many things about it I hate (Angler :argh:), I really like just how much customisability it has for drat near everything. Social armour, dyes for that armour, even dyes for your pets and poo poo. And that's not getting into the 500,000 types of blocks and walls and furniture you can make. I've finally got him to chill about progression now that we've only got 2 bosses left, and we're having a blast actually making our base look cool, instead of the ratty hole in a mountain it was before.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Nier: Automata doesn't highlight conversation options by default. You can't accidentally mash into saying something you didn't want to, you have to move the stick after the options come up to select something. It's mostly just yes/no prompts, but it's a really nice feature.

Only having to dodge once before 2B takes off is way better than continuously roll cancelling into and out of spear dashes.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Apr 15, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gitro posted:

Only having to dodge once before 2B takes off is way better than continuously roll cancelling into and out of spear dashes.

Yeah, when you start running-to-travel in that game, I'm always a little bit astounded at just how fuckin' fast they let the character move. I'm pretty sure you can cross the entire map in like two minutes at top speed.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Somfin posted:

Yeah, when you start running-to-travel in that game, I'm always a little bit astounded at just how fuckin' fast they let the character move. I'm pretty sure you can cross the entire map in like two minutes at top speed.

Until you brush against a bush, anyway.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
In Super Robot Wars V enemy grunt pilots now have 3 or so variations across one type when it makes sense (ie, not mass produced AIs or androids). It actually makes things a lot nicer when not every Neo-Zeon dude has the same exact face, for instance.

Also, the Might Gaine enemies are a treat whenever they show up, especially Wolfgang's subordinates.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ShootaBoy posted:

Well, after you guys pushed me the final bit to it, I scrimped until I could pick up Yakuza 0. Here's hoping I'm back to add some stuff to this thread in a day or so.

https://youtu.be/vxavFinqJoM

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Yooka Laylee you can "expand" tomes by putting Pagies in them, literally adding more pages that add on more to the world and let you unlock more quests to do for more quills (notes from Banjo Kazooie) and pagies. In the first world this includes adding in Shovel Knight who just wants you to climb a platforming puzzle tower and get him a really, really big gem. When the pan-over from the beginning of the expanded tome showed him, I IMMEDIATELY rushed there just to see what was up. It was perfect. :allears:

Also, all the movement feels really good and I've already sequence broken a few Pagies that required later abilities to do. The combination of gliding, double jumping, and the aerial attack makes it possible to do some precise jumps on areas you have no business being yet.

And it goes without saying, but the dialogue is amazing and I love that the plot really feels like one massive middle finger to Microsoft for buying up studios and not doing anything with the IPs they've been acquiring

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

thecluckmeme posted:

And it goes without saying, but the dialogue is amazing and I love that the plot really feels like one massive middle finger to Microsoft for buying up studios and not doing anything with the IPs they've been acquiring

Serves them right too after Nuts and Bolts took a bunch of jabs at the older banjo kazooies/3d platformers in general through L.O.G. Really hate that guy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tensokuu posted:

Well. He's the butt of one of Wrench's jokes (he tells Josh that the government is using mind control and Josh freaks out) but Marcus tells Wrench he's being an rear end in a top hat and Wrench goes to apologize after. When you talk to Josh after that he says it's something he's concerned about but they don't play that as a joke, which was good on the writers.

Watch Dogs 2 is legitimately a game that has well written NPCs around your main character. I was really surprised about that, but it makes me enjoy the game a lot more.

Yeah, the key thing in that bit - for me - was Wrench being a dick, rather than the game encouraging you to laugh at Josh. It's similar when Josh gets legitimately pissed at Wrench for stealing his medication; it isn't "haha the sperg is freaking out", it's "Wrench you moron what the gently caress".

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out Miranda was transsexual as well. It took explicitly mentioning not-Scientology using (stolen) documentation of her hormone therapy, to turn the public on her, before I twigged. :downs:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

scarycave posted:

Serves them right too after Nuts and Bolts took a bunch of jabs at the older banjo kazooies/3d platformers in general through L.O.G. Really hate that guy.

I get the hate that Nuts and Bolts gets, but i genuinely enjoyed every minute of it- wish i could play it on pc.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Just Offscreen posted:

I get the hate that Nuts and Bolts gets, but i genuinely enjoyed every minute of it- wish i could play it on pc.

Nuts and Bolts would benefit greatly from something like Steam Workshop, where you can share blueprints for your cock rockets and dong mobiles and create new (terrible) missions and upload them so some goober on twitch can yell at a camera about them

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It at least gave us the majesty of the Kinetico. :allears:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Just Offscreen posted:

Nuts and Bolts isn't a bad game on its own. The music is pretty great and it's a pretty good looking game and there's a lot to do with the vehicles but the game loves the missions the game throws at you where you can't use your cars can gently caress off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

scarycave posted:

Nuts and Bolts isn't a bad game on its own. The music is pretty great and it's a pretty good looking game and there's a lot to do with the vehicles but the game loves the missions the game throws at you where you can't use your cars can gently caress off.

Was Nuts and Bolts the one that had a developer with a furry giantess fetish or am I thinking of different Rare game.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

scarycave posted:

The best way to break those missions was to pause and totally rework your stock vehicle the moment the mission started- i'm looking at you alien shooting gallery.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

Was Nuts and Bolts the one that had a developer with a furry giantess fetish or am I thinking of different Rare game.

Let's be real, that's probably a lot of games.

But yes, JollyJack did art for Nuts and Bolts.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yakuza 0
Kiryu is a great protagonist. He's not some whiny, passive mopebag, he knows an amount of what's going on, and he's gonna gently caress people up til they fill in the blanks instead of just mutely going along with whatever happens.

Kamurocho is a fantastic map. It's actually interesting and memorable unlike almost every other open world game's map. I'm not too far in yet so I'm still learning my way around, but I'm actually learning instead of just staring at the minimap. God I don't know if I can go back to other open world type games after this :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kinda like how Horizon encourages you to buy new types of weapons, like the slingshot and things, by giving you a level 12 quest htat asks you to clear 2 level 15 corrupted zones, and only enough sidequests to get you to 14 1/3rd. Then, if you buy a bunch of new weapons, you unlock a bunch of tutorials that give like 1-2k experience each. Not sure if that's intentional, but it's a good way to encourage variety, although the game could have been more obvious about having to buy other weapons to do other ammo types. I thought I'd just unlock shock arrows as the game progressed like in most games of this type i.e. tomb raider, as that's how the fire arrows were presented, but you just need to buy the right weapon.