Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Yes. It's part of what made him so dangerous in the fluff - orcs are in general quite predictable. They can get ded kunnin, but they're invariably aggressive, impatient, and want to kill you as loudly and violently as possible. Azhag was known for being patient, rarely losing his temper, and being hard to bait into doing something stupid.

Primarily because whenever he wants a fight, all he has to do is pay a tiny bit of attention to the crown of sorcery to generate a quick one-ork internal waaaaugh.

Azhag has, through a magical artifact of phenomenal power, achieved orklightenment; the true waaaugh is not to be found without, but within (a stupid shiny metal hat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Grimgor should get increased damage the more damage he causes. Getting him into a scrum should result in 1200 weapon strength. I could see him adding melee attack or LD to his melee units tho

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
If I made a mod it would:

General:
Make RoR have a 4 turn cool down once destroyed/disbanded
Remove all AI agent aggressions
Give AI 3-5x more income
Remove fukkin chariots from the game gently caress chariots !!!!!
Make the Chaos invasion 6-9 waves and double the army count each time

Dwarves:
Make Rangers have 1/3rd less range but +15 base missile damage, while quarreler have 15% more range
Give all LL higher mass
Give ungrim attack and speed boosting traits for his army without any melee defense or armor boosts
Give thorgrim MD and vigor boosts for his army
Add 5 to each growth level farms give

Will continue other races later my ADHD kicked in time 2 play some WarHams

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm surprised that the RoR suggestion isn't a default thing. Recruiting a wiped out famous unit in a single turn is weird.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gejnor posted:

And he has them! With the techs already included in Green Iz best he gets Orc Boyz with 60 armour, Big 'Uns with 70, and Black Orcs with 120! This is of course after reaching near the end of the tech tree but it is also much easier to access! And the turncosts are much lower!

The Ladz are 'Ard Enuff, Grimgor just makes em more choppy!

Meanwhile Azhag is being weird and more tactical meaning his Boyz are useful more defensively!

Alright, I didn't know that! Good then

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dandywalken posted:

I'm surprised that the RoR suggestion isn't a default thing. Recruiting a wiped out famous unit in a single turn is weird.

Oddly it is a thing if you dismiss them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There should at least be RoRs for every race. Also giving the AI more money sounds disastrous since, on VH/leg, you get swamped all the time as it is. The chaos stuff should be buffed and chariots should be disallowed. Like i said before, 2 chariot maximum for each faction.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I have a no AI agent mod and while it makes them less annoying, one drag is that it makes enemy action reduction chance stuff useless. And many legendary items have this as part of their kit.

Right now I actually like using Ekrund Miners and Dragon back Slayers as suicide units.

Chariots are incredibly annoying in part because nothing seems effective vs them. I hit em with cannons, stuff em up with Halberds, etc but their health goes down slowly, meanwhile they are doing donuts and Tokyo drifting through my lines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The difference between Grimgor and a regular Warboss is that, while Grimgor is predictable, the amount of violence he brings to the table is so overwhelming that tricking him often doesn't matter, as he'll just smash the decoys before going right back to his main objective.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I know why they didn't include it, but it'd be cool if all orcs, except Azhag's, had "may charge without orders". Grimgor's just get increased charge bonuses and are even more likely to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have never actually seen "May Charge Without Orders" actually work in any Total War game. All it amounted to in Rome 1 was that Barbarian factions were hilariously, suicidally aggressive.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I noticed it happening a bunch in the older games, especially in Medieval 1. It was a fun extra wrinkle since units in Medieval 1 were less responsive to orders than in later games - knights who charged before they should were hard to turn around in time.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

I noticed it happening a bunch in the older games, especially in Medieval 1. It was a fun extra wrinkle since units in Medieval 1 were less responsive to orders than in later games - knights who charged before they should were hard to turn around in time.

Hah, yeah. I ended up building gendarmes instead because they do what they're drat well told.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Grimgor giving buffs to Black Orcs seems pretty appropriate thematically. -recruitment time would be a welcome change for Blorcs. I don't know a ton about Azhag, maybe some more magic boosts? +recruitment rank to Shamans? +winds of magic? That's pretty boring though I suppose. I wish the poor guy would just start with Death Magic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Yeah it makes more sense to just give him the death magic right away and have the magic hat just supercharge it. Is it possible to have gear increase magic damage by X%?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Late dorf campaign fuckery: all Slayer army (cannons are for sieges, but perhaps grudgethrowers are more appropriate) with Ungrim as leader :v:

Got to say that I am really surprised at how effective it is being to troll around vampire counts and norscan tribes

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

In general I'm not a big fan of buffing factions because I find them all to be pretty good, but there are some obvious exceptions and Azhag is a big one. His quests are just ridiculous for the puny payback of 'now you can spend points on another tree which you don't have points for that isn't really all that helpful anyway'.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

Late dorf campaign fuckery: all Slayer army (cannons are for sieges, but perhaps grudgethrowers are more appropriate) with Ungrim as leader :v:

Got to say that I am really surprised at how effective it is being to troll around vampire counts and norscan tribes

Do you have fraps or something? I'd like to see a video of that in action.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish the skill trees were varied more for each lord in general. That would also help balance the less-used choices, for example give necromancers better magic and red-line trees, while vampire lords get only basic magic and their red line is crap outside of maybe a good top-of-the-line buff that applies to specifically varghfulfs/gheists/blood knights, but have a really great yellow tree. Makes sense, necromancers focus on buffing their undead legions while vampires are elitist, selfish dicks. Actually, maybe give vamps a wood-elf-style binary tree where they can focus on combat or magic, not both. Could also help Mannfred stack up to daddy since you could give him some necromancer skills since he's the nerd Von Carstein. This would then carry over into army comp which would be cool- necromancer lords would stack up on undead troops and could even have decent buffs to Raise Dead'd chaff, while vampires would be far more likely to forgo line troops in favor of stuff like blood knights and varghulfs that stand on their own.

I'd also like to see either the ability to take both a campaign and a battlefield skill per level up, or secondary effects so a high-level lord can have effects on all three areas while still focusing on one tree. So say you take 3 levels of +corruption on a VC lord, you also get a small boost to leadership aura or a small melee defense buff to yourself, representing your cloud of dark magic. Take 3 levels of Hold the Line and you get a small campaign movement bonus since your troops are so disciplined. 3 levels of +melee attack on a brett and you get slightly cheaper knight recruitment because every knight worth his salt wants to work for the rear end-kickingest duke.

IMO if you want to buff basic greenskin units it would need to be very situational buffs. Making them work like foot cav would be similar to the Choppa rule on tabletop, give them AP damage but only for the initial charge. It'd also be fun if gobbos got temporary AP but only from a flank or rear charge to an already-engaged unit, instead of making nasty skulkers a whole separate thing. IDK if the engine supports that stuff though. Maybe an orc-wide effect where they get disproportionate charge bonuses but take a big leadership penalty if they take a charge without countercharging, and a gobbo-wide effect where they suck extra at one-on-one engagements, get no charge bonus to the front and a leadership malus for any head-on engagement, but get buffs for hitting the rear of someone who's already occupied.

Brutal but kunnin' and kunnin' but brutal. The greenskins paradoxically should be a finesse army, it's kinda their thing. Superhuman warriors who would/can do great under a good leader but are crippled by mostly being cruel idiots.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 13, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Thematically, every VC leader has to have access to the lore of Vampires because that's how they're keeping the whole army animated. I'd kind of like to see vampire and wight heroes not give leadership buffs because of that, actually, at least not without investing in some skills.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Thematically, every VC leader has to have access to the lore of Vampires because that's how they're keeping the whole army animated. I'd kind of like to see vampire and wight heroes not give leadership buffs because of that, actually, at least not without investing in some skills.

They definitely should all have invocation, but thematically I think it works to do it like Wood Elves and Orion, where the legendary, ancient Vampires Vlad and Mannfred get both trees but the younger, generic ones have only had time to become either combat OR magic gods, not both

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Grimgor giving buffs to Black Orcs seems pretty appropriate thematically. -recruitment time would be a welcome change for Blorcs. I don't know a ton about Azhag, maybe some more magic boosts? +recruitment rank to Shamans? +winds of magic? That's pretty boring though I suppose. I wish the poor guy would just start with Death Magic.

Thats sort of what ive been working on, the latest bonuses i had in mind before going to bed yesterday were around this.

Grimgor: +10 Melee Attack for Orc Boyz
+5 Melee Attack for Black Orcs
-1 Recruitment Time for Black Orcs (effectively turning them into a 1 turn unit)

Azhag: +10 Melee Defence for Orc Boyz
Some sort of buff to Big 'Uns, undecided on what, tried giving them encouragement via a lord effect and it didn't work (or it did, every single unit everywhere got it which is the problem).
+2 Ranks for Shamans

The +5 MA to blorcs is because i realised yesterday after 1200+ hours that big uns have better MA, sitting at 38 while Black Orcs are at 34. Its a bit weird but it thankfully gives me a small window where i can have grimgor buff them a little bit and it won't look too weird.

As for the magic hat.. well.. i think that may be hardcoded but i could give it a try, its cooler to have magic anyways.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Its too bad Azhag is bad because he loving owns in Diskwars

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im kind of curious how many lategame stacks people that claim units ever get obsolete run around with

im guessing its something like "two stacks full of nothing but the most single elite, high cost monster unit", which i guess would explain why people keep having problems with their undefended backline getting hit by roving varg stacks while their only army is busy ambling around in the badlands, or some poo poo

e: like, lategame bretonnia, i controlled all of ye old not-France and the province directly outside of the Chaos Wastes, and even without doing that cheese with trident-man and his "ports produce infinite money" shtick, i fielded a stack back at Carcassonne (both to deal with beastmen spawns and in case those elves started poo poo, one hanging around in northern Bretonnia in anticipation of skraling hijinks that never came, two handling the chaos invasions in north Kislev, and Leon rummaging around in Norsca. I did this by doing blasphemous things like "only 4-6 cav units in my stacks" and "using man-at-arms/pilgrims instead of foot squires as chaff".

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 13, 2017

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Elites trump all and having too few stacks is a common TW problem that players have in general, although Warhammer absolutely encourages few stacks mechanically with the additional stack upkeep penalty (which doesn't apply to brettonia).

So I can't really fault people for being encouraged to replace their units with more elite ones rather than expanding the number of units in their army.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i had the same sort of "elite stack" mentality but then i played Ikko Ikki in Shogun 2 and that kind of broke me

e: idk what is up with the stack penalty thing, tho. I'd guess skaven won't have it, but I kind of wonder what weirdness provoked that mechanic in the first place. I guess so people don't just run around with nothing but generals, but they really could just correct that by making generals cost-ineffective units, so I don't really know what its correcting. I don't think its that substantial of a drawback, all in all, to counter that the flexibility that multiple stacks offer.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 13, 2017

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Endless Ikko stacks was a lot like playing skarsnik, it's stupid fun and a great change of pace to be the endless hordes of chaff.

I know I had the same elite problem as well, but it was my monk and samurai stack in Shogun 2 that I was forced by necessity to spilt and then I could only make ashigaru quickly and then it turns out that's a great idea.

Realm divide forced me to be a better player and broke a seriously bad habit.

E: the stack penalty is straight out stupid and doesn't actually fix any problem, yeah. Generals have always been expensive and cost ineffective and the marginal utility gained for having more stacks is reduced for every additional stack so it makes no sense that they are all penalised at such a punitive rate. Or at all, really.

E2: It's so you have to use the garrison system, now that I think about it. Of course, garrison buildings are basically mandatory because you can't have additional defensive stacks due to the cost so it's a see saw balance change.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 13, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im kind of curious how many lategame stacks people that claim units ever get obsolete run around with

im guessing its something like "two stacks full of nothing but the most single elite, high cost monster unit", which i guess would explain why people keep having problems with their undefended backline getting hit by roving varg stacks while their only army is busy ambling around in the badlands, or some poo poo

e: like, lategame bretonnia, i controlled all of ye old not-France and the province directly outside of the Chaos Wastes, and even without doing that cheese with trident-man and his "ports produce infinite money" shtick, i fielded a stack back at Carcassonne (both to deal with beastmen spawns and in case those elves started poo poo, one hanging around in northern Bretonnia in anticipation of skraling hijinks that never came, two handling the chaos invasions in north Kislev, and Leon rummaging around in Norsca. I did this by doing blasphemous things like "only 4-6 cav units in my stacks" and "using man-at-arms/pilgrims instead of foot squires as chaff".

I was curious about this so I loaded up my game saved immediately after completing the Bret campaign. I have 5 stacks running around (spoilered for the insanely boring list of units, skip if you don't care):

Louen - in the Badlands after doing the Errantry War battle
Damsel
2x paladins
1x battle pilgrims, 2x M@A with shields
4 bows (two plain, one fire, one pox)
2x QKs
3x GGs
2x royal hippos
2x trebs (1 blessed, 1 normal)

Alberic - in Gorssel hunting a very lost Estalia stack
Damsel
2x paladins
2x foot squires, 2x battle pilgrims
4x archers (pox)
5x QKs
1x royal hippos
2x trebs (both blessed)

Bret lord 1 - in Carcassone chasing another Estalia stack
4x foot squires
2x pox bows
3x QKs, 2x KoTRs
2x royal pegs

The Fay Enchantress - in Bretonnia l'Este, or Kislev as it was formerly known, chasing Khazrak
Paladin
1x foot squires, 1x battle pilgrims, 3x M@A with shields
4x bows (1 pox, 3 plain)
1x QKs, 3x KotR, 1x Errants, 1x GGs
2x pegasus knights
1x trebuchet (blessed)

Bret lord 2 - in Sylvania, anti-VC crusading
Damsel
2x paladins
4x battle pilgrims
1x reliquae
3x archers, fire
1x GKs, 4x QKs, 1x Errants
2x trebuchets

supported by a second stack with

Lord
2x paladins
2x royal hippos

On Hard, that was enough to win, including having wiped out Norsca and beat up Chaos. I'm quite surprised to only find one unit of Grail Knights, I thought I had more than that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Panfilo posted:

I hope they continue this cheesiness and make Thanquol some crazy powerhouse with easy to get skills and quest items in the next game.

Thanquol is a crazy powerhouse. He made Teclis probably the most powerful Elven Mage and one of their legendary lords think he needed to get better at magic. While being an stupidly powerful mage he is not very good at fighting. But that is what his Rat Orge Boneripper is for. (Until it dies somehow and flees and gets a new one.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

shalcar posted:

Endless Ikko stacks was a lot like playing skarsnik, it's stupid fun and a great change of pace to be the endless hordes of chaff.

I know I had the same elite problem as well, but it was my monk and samurai stack in Shogun 2 that I was forced by necessity to spilt and then I could only make ashigaru quickly and then it turns out that's a great idea.

Realm divide forced me to be a better player and broke a seriously bad habit.

E: the stack penalty is straight out stupid and doesn't actually fix any problem, yeah. Generals have always been expensive and cost ineffective and the marginal utility gained for having more stacks is reduced for every additional stack so it makes no sense that they are all penalised at such a punitive rate. Or at all, really.

E2: It's so you have to use the garrison system, now that I think about it. Of course, garrison buildings are basically mandatory because you can't have additional defensive stacks due to the cost so it's a see saw balance change.

Yeah, garrison buildings.

If you think of the player's empire as an expanding blob, the total length of their territory border lengthens more slowly than the volume enclosed within it. Which means that if the cost of armies increases linearly with the length of the border, while the income is related to the volume, it gets easier to defend your empire the larger it is. So without this compounding effect, you get a natural snowball where it gets easier and easier to have all the armies you need.

Other games solve this issue with a corruption penalty that reduces income for large empires. WTW doesn't have that mechanic and so uses upkeep. I think I somewhat prefer this implementation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The trouble with chaff armies is that they are very difficult to pull off and still be fun. WTW and Shogun 2 do excellently with the Ikko Ikki and the Skarsnik campaigns by making up for troop quality with insanely fun gimmicks. Other games just don't do as well, and mods almost universally make playing chaff armies awful. Why yes, Third Age Total War, I would love to watch 40 man Elf skirmishers hold the line against 5000 goblins without taking a single casualty.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I just tried out organ guns and cannons with the engineer skill that gives bonus range.

It gives the appearance of bonus range but they definitely move if they need to attack something outside their default range but within their improved range.

I think all range improvements might be bugged. :ohdear:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just tried out organ guns and cannons with the engineer skill that gives bonus range.

It gives the appearance of bonus range but they definitely move if they need to attack something outside their default range but within their improved range.

I think all range improvements might be bugged. :ohdear:

Dangit, i'll rework them all then and give them other bonuses instead.

I think Irondrakes and Gyrocopters still work fine with the new range since they are technically not artillery that uses the graphical trajectory which seems to be the source of the issue?

In other news i have a new idea for Lord Effects concerning Green Iz Best! I know im flip-flopping a bit here but i think i may have found a near perfect Solution!

Grimgor: All units gain Frenzy.

Azhag: Im making a new skill similar to Strength of the Penitent that flaggelants have where all your units would get a buff to defences when losing in melee.

This should give you a neato choice and will scale with all unit choices, even helping out some of the side units you may never pick!

Im still going to add the other misc stuff i mentioned like Grimgor being able to recruit Black Orcs in 1 turn, this is just the replacement for that Boyz thing.

Edit: I also literally just now managed to make it so Azhag's Death Magic is unlocked from level 1!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 13, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Always nice to see the progress of someone figuring out the wonkiness of a games modding tools.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't really think it's an issue that Azhag has to go on a quest to unlock the crown, personally I think the fix I'd make is to buff the rewards of it so that it is more proportionate to the effort. Give him on successful quest completion -100% overcast backfire, say, or free lightning strike (which saves him a bunch of skill points he can plough into magic). Or even Vlad style vanguard deploy for everyone.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
... i was going to joke about giving everyone vanguard deployment, but come to think of it i can't recall the AI using it, really. what happens if two vanguard deployment armies face off, anyways? id guess there's a way to keep them putting dudes right on top of each other.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

I don't really think it's an issue that Azhag has to go on a quest to unlock the crown, personally I think the fix I'd make is to buff the rewards of it so that it is more proportionate to the effort. Give him on successful quest completion -100% overcast backfire, say, or free lightning strike (which saves him a bunch of skill points he can plough into magic). Or even Vlad style vanguard deploy for everyone.

Number of times ive actually gone and done his quest: Like 3-4 times.

Number of times ive ignored it: I cannot even count them.

Its just not a very fun mechanic, especially considered just how much effort you have to put in. Letting him start with spells is just more fun.

In other news i made it work, i made it goddamned work!

We all know what frenzy does so no need to show more than this for now.

Oh whats this shiny new button do you ask? Here lemme show you:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why yes, Third Age Total War, I would love to watch 40 man Elf skirmishers hold the line against 5000 goblins without taking a single casualty.
Haha, you described the exact same scenario that caused me to instantly uninstall that mod and never look back!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
That's really disappointing that range bonuses on artillery are bugged, I hope they eventually fix it. It kind of sounds like the artillery units can't seem to increase the firing angle of their base value. I guess one way to test this is to mod the flame cannon to have 50% more base range and see if that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gejnor posted:

Number of times ive actually gone and done his quest: Like 3-4 times.

Number of times ive ignored it: I cannot even count them.

Its just not a very fun mechanic, especially considered just how much effort you have to put in. Letting him start with spells is just more fun.

Again, the factor there is that the reward isn't big enough. Letting him just start with the spells reduces his distinctiveness. The ideal result is not to balance Grimgor with Azhag, it's to make them represent two interesting and unique ways of playing the game. Giving Azhag a better reason to go north would be more fun.

• Locked thread