Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers thought embiids meniscus was completely torn. Lol.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19146930/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-says-knee-bad-originally-thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Legit great news. I want it to be next season already

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aBagorn posted:

Legit great news. I want it to be next season already

50 wins if Embiid plays 65+ games. No doubt in my head.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The Wizards have not had a 50 win season in 38 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzyfcys1aLM

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lol the bulls made the playoffs

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Ramadu posted:

THe suns suck and I can't see any way they get any better for like 5 years :smith:

we aint never gonna be good again are we

I feel pretty good about them. Booker is still only 20, Marquese Chriss got dramatically better as the season went on. Everyone clowns on Bender but he's got such a weird skill set for his size, I really think he could be pretty good. Tyler Ulis did a great job after Bledsoe was shut down.

We've got a core of talented kids and we'll add a good player to that in the draft. We still have a surplus of future 1st round picks to play around with too. It'll take a couple of years but we're trending in the right direction.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol the bulls made the playoffs

Gar's plan worked.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/sbnation/status/852519393057792000

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Last year if I remember correctly we kept the main N/V going and it got most of the traffic and playoff related posts and predictions between games, and I made a "Gone Fishing" thread for fans of eliminated teams and the usual minimal news that happens to them, that didn't get a ton of traffic but people seemed to like posting in once their teams joined the others at sea.

Although just cuz we did that last year doesn't mean we have to do it the same way. Whatever works for people.

You should do your gone fishing thread again. It was nice to focus on our awful teams and it was fun having fans migrate there as the playoffs went on.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rubio got $100k for shooting above 40% and guaranteed that by not playing last night.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Knicks guaranteed themselves the 6th slot by oh lol. There's no way we're winning this coin flip.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Rubio got $100k for shooting above 40% and guaranteed that by not playing last night.

what a sad loving incentive.

"Hey Rickey, we want you to shoot below league average shooting at your position and are willing to pay to get you there"

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
congrats to the Houston Rockets for doing much better than I thought they would when they hired Pringles and proving once again that I am an idiot in pretty much all ways

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Yeah but Devin Booker scored 70 points that one time. If he can do that consistently you'll be fine.

I dunno, the Suns have a 0% win percentage in games when Devin Booker scores 70.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Look at all those people who played better than Meyers Leonard.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Boosh! posted:

Knicks guaranteed themselves the 6th slot by oh lol. There's no way we're winning this coin flip.

They share the 6th/7th odds equally with the Wolves now, right? I hope we move up with whatever numbers we got from the tie.

Also waiting until Saturday for the playoffs to start sucks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

They share the 6th/7th odds equally with the Wolves now, right? I hope we move up with whatever numbers we got from the tie.

They have equal shot at 1-3 but need a coin flip to decide order of they aren't in the lotto

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
I have been lurking in this thread since a long time ago when I asked if I should support the wolves and just gotta say that I've enjoyed the ride of the regular season.

As a basketball newbie I've not really had the courage to pipe up with my dumbass opinions and thoughts but I've actually learnt a lot from the hosed up tangents you all get on here. This thread can be both funny and informative as hell, and I've found myself watching and enjoying all sorts of basketball this year.

So thanks! I am gonna still be right on the wolves train next season, but I guess from now I'll be joining Metapod on the beautiful ride that is the Steven Adams feat. Westbrook show for the playoffs.

Coffee Grindr fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 13, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
In an interesting aside regarding Knicks incompetence, the 76ers now own the Knicks' second round picks for 2017, 2018 (if the Knicks finish worse than the Clippers), 2019, 2020 and 2021.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Time posted:

congrats to the Houston Rockets for doing much better than I thought they would when they hired Pringles and proving once again that I am an idiot in pretty much all ways

yeah pleasantly surprised is an understatement tbh

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
The Lakers season was a fun and interesting ride. I'm now a Bucks fan going into the playoffs because why the hell not

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Coffee Grindr posted:

I have been lurking in this thread since a long time ago when I asked if I should support the wolves and just gotta say that I've enjoyed the ride of the regular season.

As a basketball newbie I've not really had the courage to pipe up with my dumbass opinions and thoughts but I've actually learnt a lot from the hosed up tangents you all get on here. This thread can be both funny and informative as hell, and I've found myself watching and enjoying all sorts of basketball this year.

So thanks! I am gonna still be right on the wolves train next season, but I guess from now I'll be joining Metapod on the beautiful ride that is the Steven Adams feat. Westbrook show for the playoffs.

This is one of the posts in the thread I feel best about. :kimchi:

Please don't be afraid to speak up and offer your opinion or ask questions! It keeps the thread lively and someone will usually learn something from it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Coffee Grindr posted:

Also good choice of teams IMO

BTW is that favourite player thread happening this year?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Coffee Grindr posted:

Dumb Opinions are fine! As long as your not a jerk about your opinions no one will care if its dumb or not. Its the basketball game of sport.

I'm going to write up a big dumb post about the Timberwolves when the gone fishing thread is up, I'd be interested in your opinion on it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow Hennigan has already been fired .

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Has any team had three different rookies win ROTM?

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/852349473695117312

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

Maybe the biggest no brainer in sports management changes in the last decade. Any armchair commentator can look at the Orlando Magic management's last half dozen moves and realize what a total disaster it all was.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Well he had just about the worst year a general manager has ever had, so.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm just saying it's not even noon yet.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
At least he gets the afternoon off.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
And a long weekend to boot.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Plenty of time to clean his desk off and grab some lunch

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Has any team had three different rookies win ROTM?

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/852349473695117312

That was who I wanted the Bulls to draft this past year.

Glad to see I'm better at scouting players than Gar Foreman.I'm kidding...mostly

euphronius posted:

And Matt Lloyd is going to be interim GM. That dude is real loving good at drafting.

He was the one who most peoplecredit with the Bulls string of drafting(non international players) from Noah, Rose, Taj, James Johnson, and Butler. When he left after the Butler draft(non international drafting went to poo poo, Their international scout is real loving good still as Zipser is a find.).

Teague, Snell, (two lottery picks for) Doug McDermott, Portis, Denzel Valentine. Since he left.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 13, 2017

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

What does everyone think of Yogi Ferrell at this point? After having watched almost every game he played for the Mavs, I think there is no reason he couldn't start in the modern NBA. I'm assuming he will improve over the next few seasons. Every Mavs draft rumor I've seen has them drafting a point guard. It will be interesting to see if they continue to try and force Seth Curry to turn into a point guard or slide him back to the 2 next season.

Going back some pages for this but

He's a great 3 point shooter and I was really impressed by his pick-and-roll decision making. The issues I see are he isn't a great defender--he'll do some pesky things but I mean, so will Dirk--he isn't great at getting and making 2s, and he wasn't an amazing distributor (more along the lines of Devin Harris than Deron Williams or JJ). So he kind of profiles to me (and I'm a dumbass) as a competent ball handler who won't do anything stupid and will hit some 3s, sometimes a lot of 3s. So you could do better but you could do worse. If he's going to stick in the long-term playing starter minutes I'd really like to see him improve in one or more of those areas though. Of course, he's young and can improve but it's a leap he'll have to take and he's not exactly an athletic phenom.

That said, I'm totally okay running with him for a while because A) Curry is much more effective as a 2 and B) so many of the Mavs core players can slide up or down a position, including our ten thousand small guards, that the team could pretty easily accommodate taking BPA, except probably at C with Noel locked in there. If that's a PG, so be it.

This post maybe sounds more pessimistic than I mean, I love Yogi, it's just if I'm betting, I say his future is good bench player or like a dude who starts but the offense really runs through some mysterious future Maverick a la James Harden or whatever

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dexo posted:

That was who I wanted the Bulls to draft this past year.

Glad to see I'm better at scouting players than Gar Foreman.I'm kidding...mostly

And Matt Lloyd is going to be interim GM. That dude is real loving good at drafting.

He was the one who most peoplecredit with the Bulls string of drafting(non international players) from Noah, Rose, Taj, James Johnson, and Butler. When he left after the Butler draft(non international drafting went to poo poo, Their international scout is real loving good still as Zipser is a find.).

Teague, Snell, (two lottery picks for) Doug McDermott, Portis, Denzel Valentine. Since he left.

Yeah I said this in the draft thread, but of course Lloyd has already been involved in Orlando's drafting and that hasn't been the problem anyway. The question is if he's any better at trades and free agency and general team construction, and whether the problem is higher than the GM in the first place. Orlando didn't start making rash and lopsided trades with Hennigan.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Coffee Grindr posted:

I'm glad you are enjoying the greatest sport in the world and welcome to the ride here is the one and only rule: never get comfortable. Whether up or down 100000000000 never doubt this teams ability to blow a lead or take lead

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

Them winning a few meaningless games has done more to anger me as a fan than any bullshit pulled this year with Dolan

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Knicks picked up Phil Jackson's option, which was for two more seasons

There is no such thing as hope, it is futile and stupid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

The Knicks picked up Phil Jackson's option, which was for two more seasons

There is no such thing as hope, it is futile and stupid

What????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well he had just about the worst year a general manager has ever had, so.

Alex Martins did, really, but he has a job for life for some reason. Hennigan stopped having autonomy when Skiles was hired, which wasn't a decision he had any say in either. The organization is poo poo, DeVos needs to die off so that Alex Martins can go back to cold calling people. Hennigan will get a job elsewhere and do well because he's a bright guy when no one overrules him to try and get an 8th seed before the fruit is anywhere near ripe

• Locked thread