Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

OG Anunoby declared for the draft. Someone please tell me how excited I should be if the Kings miss out on Issac and get to choose between him and Bridges

He would have gone several spots higher had he not been injured. He's a tough wing defender who might hit shots type. It just takes like 3 years for indiana players to show anything in the NBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brett brown has been saying again that Simmons is playing point guard next year. No qualifiers or point forward stuff.

Seems strange with one the best point guard drafts ever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Brett brown has been saying again that Simmons is playing point guard next year. No qualifiers or point forward stuff.

Seems strange with one the best point guard drafts ever.

Eh, most of the guys would fit alongside Simmons as a backcourt, who plays the other guard isn't a big deal. Can Simmons guard opposing PG or SGs? That is a bigger question. If he can't (and I expect he cannot) then you need 2 Guards on defense, and then whether he's playing Point Forward or not is irrelevant.

Basically, it lets them say "We're going to run our offense through our #1 Pick" and then how it washes out will not really matter. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Lockback posted:

Eh, most of the guys would fit alongside Simmons as a backcourt, who plays the other guard isn't a big deal. Can Simmons guard opposing PG or SGs? That is a bigger question. If he can't (and I expect he cannot) then you need 2 Guards on defense, and then whether he's playing Point Forward or not is irrelevant.

Basically, it lets them say "We're going to run our offense through our #1 Pick" and then how it washes out will not really matter. I wouldn't read too much into it.

This 100%

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It basically means Philly is drafting Malik Monk and leaving PGs on the board for Sacramento

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

WhyteRyce posted:

It basically means Philly is drafting Malik Monk and leaving PGs on the board for Sacramento

God willing, with their second pick in the first they will do just that :getin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Or one of the forwards. Yeah. Don't think Fox or smith would entice them.

Assuming they don't get one. I have to assume they take fultz and make it work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

I think if brown meant point forward he'd say that. Or if he meant Simmons would guard forwards. He's said Simmons will guard 1 s though. (He said "Simmons will guard whoever guards him. If that is a 1 then he will guard 1s).

It confuses me and may be a big issue or maybe not because colangelo doesn't agree !! Idk.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Teams will sag off Simmons as "point guard" because he can't shoot, it makes more sense to throw him the ball at the top of the key as a "point forward"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

I think if brown meant point forward he'd say that. Or if he meant Simmons would guard forwards. He's said Simmons will guard 1 s though. (He said "Simmons will guard whoever guards him. If that is a 1 then he will guard 1s).

It confuses me and may be a big issue or maybe not because colangelo doesn't agree !! Idk.

I think it's really easy to just say this right now before the dude has played any NBA minutes. Next year will probably be another growing pains year for Philly anyway, so they can try it if they want. I think ultimately they end up with two smaller guys in the lineup to guard the opposing backcourt, but maybe one is called a "SF" but always defends a guard. Lots of teams do stuff like that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is Isaac the standard "big dude, long arms, who knows" guy? Watching clips he reminds me of Vonleh from a few years back

Edit: I guess Vonleh was 50 pounds heavier so, uh nevermind

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you just watch a highlight video of Issac he looks amazing. If you watch games, he usually looks amazing for like five minutes and then you realize he didn't do anything else the entire game even though he was on the floor.

He is raw, but does make some crazy athletic plays and can score in bunches, he runs, he shoots well , he does almost everything non-physical, but either the defense quickly adjusts to him (he cannot take physical play at all . . . this was somewhat mitigated by the fact that Florida State had a team you did not want to get physical with overall) or he just becomes completely disengaged in the game when it's not about him.

I feel like he has some of the biggest upside-downside swings of the top 10 guys but most people are fully embracing the upside possibility.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

I think it's really easy to just say this right now before the dude has played any NBA minutes. Next year will probably be another growing pains year for Philly anyway, so they can try it if they want. I think ultimately they end up with two smaller guys in the lineup to guard the opposing backcourt, but maybe one is called a "SF" but always defends a guard. Lots of teams do stuff like that.

Sixers need Avery Bradley

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

If you just watch a highlight video of Issac he looks amazing. If you watch games, he usually looks amazing for like five minutes and then you realize he didn't do anything else the entire game even though he was on the floor.

He is raw, but does make some crazy athletic plays and can score in bunches, he runs, he shoots well , he does almost everything non-physical, but either the defense quickly adjusts to him (he cannot take physical play at all . . . this was somewhat mitigated by the fact that Florida State had a team you did not want to get physical with overall) or he just becomes completely disengaged in the game when it's not about him.

I feel like he has some of the biggest upside-downside swings of the top 10 guys but most people are fully embracing the upside possibility.

He has strong Ibaka vibes beyond the shot blocker who shoots threes thing, the lack of in between game, the disengagement when his guards are off playing reindeer games.

He could either be a perfect role player, a backup with some skills, or a very good player if he puts everything together on the right team.

I think Noel is a test case for how important it is for players like Isaac to get to play in the right situation. If a lot of your game comes from your mobility and ability to run the floor, it's easy to get discouraged if your guards are poo poo (is Dwayne Bacon good or did Jonathan Isaac just make him look good, he's being mocked in the early 20s. I kind of like him because he's so poppy and bippy, but his basketball IQ is low low low) and you don't get the ball despite putting in all the effort.

morestuff posted:

Is Isaac the standard "big dude, long arms, who knows" guy? Watching clips he reminds me of Vonleh from a few years back

Edit: I guess Vonleh was 50 pounds heavier so, uh nevermind

Isaac is to Vonleh what Markannen is to Henry Ellenson, Isaac and Markannen have both showed in games that they can do the stuff they're said to be able to do, Ellenson and Vonleh were just like,"well he's decent at this one thing so he should be good at this other thing too eventually"

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 12, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Voleh wasn't really that much worse than Issac as a college player. Slightly worse scorer, slightly better rebounder, similar shot blocker. Actually shot better from 3 but didn't take as many

Ellenson is one of the more blatant cases of "well this guy is white so he must be a good shooter" in recent memory

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Voleh wasn't really that much worse than Issac as a college player. Slightly worse scorer, slightly better rebounder, similar shot blocker. Actually shot better from 3 but didn't take as many

Ellenson is one of the more blatant cases of "well this guy is white so he must be a good shooter" in recent memory

You're right about the 3p%. In Isaac's defense he played 10 minutes more per game, shot 10% more on 2's, and averaged 1more block and steal

A lot of the times his guards just dumped him in the ball in no man's land, and their offense had so little movement.

And at Indiana Vonleh was at his best near the basket where he could take a few dribbles and pivot around college wings and bigs and put in layups with the help of his long arms. He didn't play that much like a stretch big. Isaac took a couple dribbles to get open on the perimeter or to get to the ft line for an open midrange jumper, and his shots close to the basket came on lobs and easy passes to dunks.

Vonleh has the body of a stretch four but kind of played like an old school power forward in the post, Isaac plays like a stretch four. His shot blocking is overrated though, most of his blocks look like a long armed guy just out-longing another player, not preternatural timing or leaping ability. Actually the more I think about him the more I see him as a role player. If he goes somewhere with a good defensive player development coach, maybe he could be the versatile defender that people are projecting him as, maybe.

But you never know!

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 12, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think what reminded me the most of Vonleh is that they're both smooth athletes as opposed to explosive. It's impressive seeing a guy that tall look coordinated but I didn't really get the sense that he'll stand out against NBA bigs

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

He has strong Ibaka vibes beyond the shot blocker who shoots threes thing, the lack of in between game, the disengagement when his guards are off playing reindeer games.

He could either be a perfect role player, a backup with some skills, or a very good player if he puts everything together on the right team.

I think Noel is a test case for how important it is for players like Isaac to get to play in the right situation. If a lot of your game comes from your mobility and ability to run the floor, it's easy to get discouraged if your guards are poo poo (is Dwayne Bacon good or did Jonathan Isaac just make him look good, he's being mocked in the early 20s. I kind of like him because he's so poppy and bippy, but his basketball IQ is low low low) and you don't get the ball despite putting in all the effort.

Isaac is to Vonleh what Markannen is to Henry Ellenson, Isaac and Markannen have both showed in games that they can do the stuff they're said to be able to do, Ellenson and Vonleh were just like,"well he's decent at this one thing so he should be good at this other thing too eventually"

Except Noel isn't super guard dependent with his skill set.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/852211363816636416

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Except Noel isn't super guard dependent with his skill set.

Other than the weird Ish Smith Jedi mind connection he has.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Think this might be a bad move. I don't like him that much as a prospect but he was probably going in the lottery. Next year is a weaker draft but he's got some flaws that he may not want to give teams another season to pick over. He better hope the 3pt% holds up next year.

Also the Big Ten is bringing loving everyone back next year, Jesus

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Think this might be a bad move. I don't like him that much as a prospect but he was probably going in the lottery. Next year is a weaker draft but he's got some flaws that he may not want to give teams another season to pick over. He better hope the 3pt% holds up next year.

As a State fan I'd obviously be stoked if he returned but I agree. Local reporters like to bring up Gary Harris having little change in his draft stock between freshman and sophomore years but Gary Harris was not this kind of prospect.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

That kind of fucks the Hornets unless someone falls in love with Collins, drat

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

MourningView posted:

D.J. Wilson and Mo Wagner are declaring for the draft but not hiring agents (yet)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was really impressed with the way Bridges picked up a more NBA-friendly game (for his height) basically from the end of January to March. I almost wonder why he reinvents himself like that to stay.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ragle posted:

D.J. Wilson and Mo Wagner are declaring for the draft but not hiring agents (yet)

If they're not hiring agents I'd say they're probably coming back, especially Wilson.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember a time when Glenn Robinson III got draft hype and decided to go back to school and then turned into a pumpkin

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
John Collins has hired an agent, shocking me approximately 0%. He's going to kill it. Hope he goes to Miami so he and James Johnson can DEACS BITCH on the same team. :unsmith:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just worry that the Kings might accidentally draft him instead of Zach.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mavs somehow lose so the Kings end up probably at #8, which is ok I guess because they'll have a good chance at landing a good PG or SF prospect, provided that someone else takes Monk or Markkannen

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
https://www.inspirebasketballcamps.com/new-blog/2017/4/12/draft-season-levels-to-nba-draft-stock

Nice article about what happens to the non-elite NBA prospects after college when still trying to have a pro basketball career.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Best case scenario for the 76ers is what? Fultz and Monk? They seem like pretty typical guards you'd want around a guy like Simmons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd take fultz and lakers unprotected next year as best case.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Next year is all bigs, something they definitely don't need.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Porter Jr would fit in fine .

Maybe you are right though. I'm just worried about fitting in 3 lottery rookies in one fall. Two seems like just enough.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think you are right.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Porter Jr would fit in fine .

Maybe you are right though. I'm just worried about fitting in 3 lottery rookies in one fall. Two seems like just enough.

Now that I'm think of it Fultz + lakers next year pick is actually probably the best case. Not because of who they can draft, but if Fultz + Simmons + Embiid works out the lakers pick is incredibly tradable next year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Did Giles look cooked when he came back for the tournament?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think if the Sixers even get like 1-4 or 2-4 this year they will trade the lower pick for a veteran.

You are right next years unprotected lakers pick a big trade target .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Now that I'm think of it Fultz + lakers next year pick is actually probably the best case. Not because of who they can draft, but if Fultz + Simmons + Embiid works out the lakers pick is incredibly tradable next year.

Also, you have no idea how the '18 draft will shake out. There have been shallow drafts that ended up deep, and deep ones that ended up shallow. I could see a Wing player coming out of nowhere to the top of the draft too, you never know.

• Locked thread