Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Onmi posted:

Superior Spiderman is awful, Dan Slott is an awful writer, that set of panels is perfect.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Jerusalem posted:

Also because he's poor as poo poo and kinda pathetic (which I love) - here he is taking lil' Franklin Richards out for a hot dog to help make him feel better after his Uncle Johnny died:

:allears:

Now post the one where he tells the other heroes about Doc Ock swapping with him and modifying his web fluid formula :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mikl posted:

Now post the one where he tells the other heroes about Doc Ock swapping with him and modifying his web fluid formula :allears:

That one kind of bugs me because after he reveals that he's stuck his own pants to his butt the Avengers should have been all,"Welp, that's the real Spider-Man alright!" instead of insisting on a battery of tests to prove his identity.

I mean hell, it only took the Green Goblin getting hit with one joke to figure it out!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Also because he's poor as poo poo and kinda pathetic (which I love) - here he is taking lil' Franklin Richards out for a hot dog to help make him feel better after his Uncle Johnny died:

:allears:

So into these hot dogs he doesn't even notice Gwen came back to life back there.

I loved him explaining Superior Spider-Man and (I think) Spider-Man 2099 replying "yeah that seems about dumb enough to be true."

I stopped reading comics super heavy right after the first Civil War so I didn't get all the Slott hate I would see around. Like, all I knew him from was his She-Hulk stuff and the Spider-Man/Human Torch mini. Then I got Marvel Unlimited and started catching up on things...

Jerusalem posted:

I mean hell, it only took the Green Goblin getting hit with one joke to figure it out!

To be fair who knows Pete better?

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 13, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That one kind of bugs me because after he reveals that he's stuck his own pants to his butt the Avengers should have been all,"Welp, that's the real Spider-Man alright!" instead of insisting on a battery of tests to prove his identity.

spider-woman did say that it was absolutely him after that iirc

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Jerusalem posted:

Thank you. Man, I love goofy luckless Peter Parker :allears:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Jerusalem posted:

Well he didn't crap himself yet.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Can't he just patent his web formula and sell the rights to 3M or DuPont or whoever for a fortune? Maybe if action wasn't his reward he might be able to afford a car. Or even a cab.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Payndz posted:

Can't he just patent his web formula and sell the rights to 3M or DuPont or whoever for a fortune? Maybe if action wasn't his reward he might be able to afford a car. Or even a cab.

The canonical argument is "nobody wanted to buy a fast-setting adhesive that cleanly and safely dissolves in an hour."

Which is, of course, laughable but yep.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's well out of his grace period. Completely anticipated himself by leaving piles of the stuff all over the place where anyone could pick it up.

/patentexaminer

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Onmi posted:

Superior Spiderman is awful, Dan Slott is an awful writer, that set of panels is perfect.

The art does most of the work there.

goatface posted:

He's well out of his grace period. Completely anticipated himself by leaving piles of the stuff all over the place where anyone could pick it up.

/patentexaminer

It dissolves into nothing so no one can "pick it up" (even though there was a retarded Bendis storyline where a scientist did just that)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Payndz posted:

He owns a company and is a million(billion?)-aire now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't matter, counts as being made publicly available. Probably the most common mistake by the private inventor in the first-to-file system.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Spidey has had a ton of excuses, starting at "nobody would want it", which fell apart under scores of people pointing out how many industries would find clean-dissolving adhesives to be incredibly useful, and eventually mutating into "Spider-Man isn't a legal person, so he'd have to reveal his identity to get paid", which has also been thoroughly mocked to the point where Slott just made him get loving rich off his inventions already.

There's a great panel of Spider-Man using his normal excuses on (I think) an X-Men class, only for them to start piping up about shell companies and stuff and Spidey having to change the subject really fast, but I can't remember where it happened any more so I can't show you.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If it was Spider-Man and the X-Men I can't recommend people read that enough. God what a good series.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Push El Burrito posted:

If it was Spider-Man and the X-Men I can't recommend people read that enough. God what a good series.

Totally was, I can't find the page(s) just now but I absolutely remember that being where it happened.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Are you guys sure, because I thought so too but I've been paging through all six issues and I cannot find it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I did find this.

Which basically sums up the series nicely actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was actually an issue of Avengers Academy.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lurdiak posted:

It was actually an issue of Avengers Academy.

...well, uh, guess my memory is poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was actually an issue of Amazing Spider-Man featuring Avengers Academy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It was an issue of Spiderman, the villain they fought was the one who manipulates emotions. To get out of the awkward situation, Spidey takes them on patrol. Also, Pete felt awkward because he WAS a teacher, and yet he was only considered to teach a class because, as the premiere teen hero who so utterly hosed up his image to be considered a menace, he's the perfect person to impart a life lesson of what NOT to do.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

RandallODim posted:

...well, uh, guess my memory is poo poo.

It gave me an excuse to reread Spidey & the X-men which is never a bad thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

X-O posted:

It was actually an issue of Amazing Spider-Man featuring Avengers Academy.
God thank you. Amazing Spider-Man 661.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

CapnAndy posted:

:spidey: "Look, it was the 60s. I wasn't exactly sober 90% of the time, especially as I was a chemistry student."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Goddamn do I love Spider-Man :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If only all genre fiction had the balls to be that honest

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

goatface posted:

Doesn't matter, counts as being made publicly available. Probably the most common mistake by the private inventor in the first-to-file system.

Most inventors use their inventions for crime fighting and leave them haphazardly around New York?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

If only all genre fiction had the balls to be that honest

Ironic self-examination of something from 50 years prior isn't exactly what I'd call honesty.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no the Sentry could just put Ronan down

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Come on, you literally just ripped through its head like it was paper mache.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just in those two panels the size difference of the Sentry is quite astonishing.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no the Sentry could just put Ronan down

Hand...backwards...

Also I love how Spidey can just tear it apart but it's stronger than him somehow.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Just in those two panels the size difference of the Sentry is quite astonishing.
Look we established that the Sentries come in all sizes I really don't know what you people want here

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so rocket already stole some garbage and now he has crawled through a hole and is gonna chew on some wiring. i feel like nsm really gets at the core of his character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the newspaperverse he's going to sit there all week going "but WHICH wires to chew on?!" while Spidey gets pulped.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

X-O posted:

As part of the Sentry's defenses, it shrunk in an attempt to crush Rocket, obviously

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
It's head literally looks like a trash can in panel 2 so Rocket was just like "I got this"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
How you know this is newspaper Spiderman:

1. Somebody other than Spiderman came up with the plan to stop the villian.
2. Somebody other than Spiderman actually is physically defeating the villian.
3. Spiderman is whining about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm laughing so much at the fact that off-panel The Sentry just calmly put Ronan down and negated Spidey's entire strategy

• Locked thread