Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is pricilla stated to be a daughter of Gwyn? She could just be Nameless King's daughter. And like Gwyndolyn she's put out of sight. With the ringed city it seems Gwyn likes to lock away things that don't fit in his ordered world, but won't destroy them. Maybe to maintain a sense of moral superiority, or he doesn't have the heart to kill his son and grandkids or the people who helped in the fight against dragons.

Do we have any reason to believe that Gwyondolin is locked away to be kept out of sight? She was raised as a daughter because of her affinity for the moon, which seems to have been a conclusion decision on Gwyn's part and not really implied to be a negative. She doesn't want you in her presence because she's guarding her father's tomb and considers your lowly mortal presence unworthy of such holy ground.

The other gods abandoned the place so long ago (probably a thousand years ago when Gwyn linked the flame) that the Painting Guardians have forgotten why they even devote their entire lives generation after generation to guarding it. I don't think anyone actually lives in the city anymore in DS1, and the Chosen Undead is the first person to actually make it through Sen's Fortress, well, ever.

The whole Gwynevere thing, I think, points to a different motive: preserving an illusory version of the Golden Age. Not even really for anyone's benefits, except that of the Chosen Undead when you finally show up,

Priscilla, on the other hand, is stated to have scared the gods shitless because she could make them bleed real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Basebf555 posted:

drat I have to say its pretty satisfying to be a beefy tank character with tons of strength, endurance and vitality, at least for PvE. The VIT allows me to wear heavy armor and carry a greatshield while still dodging, and I'm basically invincible if I have anywhere near full endurance. So if an enemy allows me to get even one dodge off I can usually regenerate to full endurance and they just can't crack my defenses. Even tough bosses have a hard time getting through Yhorm's Greatshield, and they can't punish my turtling because I can dodge away at any time.
fwiw for this kinda build it will probably be good to grab this if you haven't already

though there's few builds for which that won't be worth grabbing I imagine. there's also a +3 ring of favor in the dlc somewhere

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

IronicDongz posted:

but what if the order of things sucks fat balls

It won't suck fat balls if you're a man born of the dark! You will want your own age to come.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Has anyone else noticed that the world of Dark Souls is a shithole and rekindling the first flame hasn't stopped that from being the case, it's just sitting there in stagnation and decay, and the holy capital of the world was a big empty waste of space with just the youngest kid holding down the fort with a hologram of his(her?) big sister while all the other gods just wandered off to do loving whatever or just go insane and die? And then if you throw a rock at this hologram the kid calls you a blasphemous, inferior human who dared to besmirch the image of the goddess and sends his servants to murder you, and then when you walk up to him to talk it out he's just like "AND NOW ON TOP OF DISGRACING THE GODDESS YOU DISHONOR US BY SETTING FOOT IN THE KING'S TOMB? I will kill you myself you wretch!" Also the King isn't actually buried in this tomb, he's sitting at the bottom of the world setting himself on fire to keep this wonderful kingdom alive.

🤔

EDIT: Also Gwyn raised his son as a girl for being affiliated with the moon, but he has a big sister who is affiliated with Sun? Is the Sun masculine and the moon feminine? Why didn't he raise Gwynevere as a boy then? I think Gwyn was just an rear end in a top hat who only wanted girls in the family and made up the moon thing as an excuse. What a weirdo.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 13, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean age of dark seems pretty loving awful too. at least with the fire linked there are bonfires and I can chug estus

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

fwiw for this kinda build it will probably be good to grab this if you haven't already

though there's few builds for which that won't be worth grabbing I imagine. there's also a +3 ring of favor in the dlc somewhere

Cloranthy Ring still gives you that dumb looking aura though right? I hate that. Prisoner's Chain is enough for me thanks, although I will probably snag that Ring of Favor as well. I haven't touched any DLC yet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HaB posted:

So yeah - thoughts? Suggestions? Improvements?

while sorcerer start is one level ahead in that build youd probably have preferred a mercenary start since he doesent waste so many points in luck like sorc does. not sure why youre going for 20 int, if its just for chamaleon then just use the item for it and stick to 15 int.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Or it was because a dress would hide her snake for legs.

More seriously, perhaps erroneously I imagine Gwyndolyn like the red headed step child. She's so intent on preserving the glory of Anor Londo even as Sulyvan takes over, because she always chased the approval of her family. Even if she wasn't actively shunned she's the youngest and was probably anxious to live up to her siblings. Also she doesn't defend the entrance of the tomb to keep people out, she hides inside and gets pissed off if you enter. She doesn't show her own appearance to her own knights

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Augus posted:

EDIT: Also Gwyn raised his son as a girl for being affiliated with the moon, but he has a big sister who is affiliated with Sun? Is the Sun masculine and the moon feminine? Why didn't he raise Gwynevere as a boy then? I think Gwyn was just an rear end in a top hat who only wanted girls in the family and made up the moon thing as an excuse. What a weirdo.

Guess his first son was just such a major disappointment to him he decided to do a complete 180 when parenting the second.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Basebf555 posted:

Cloranthy Ring still gives you that dumb looking aura though right? I hate that. Prisoner's Chain is enough for me thanks, although I will probably snag that Ring of Favor as well. I haven't touched any DLC yet.
Nope. This is me wearing cloranthy+3

Ring of favor+3 is just a better Prisoner's Chain atm but I think prisoner's chain is getting buffed soon?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Actually yeah three introduces some more gods and they're all women. Gwyn could have had Zues' anxiety about being overthrown

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Nice. I guess I was thinking of the Grass Crest Shield.

I need to go into NG+ after I loot these DLCs, my knight is now wandering in search of a challenge. He hasn't felt threatened in quite a while.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 13, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Listerine posted:

I'm playing a pyromancer and I don't have a weapon that does enough damage. I've watched videos and no matter how hard I try I can't do what others do and not get hit playing melee- I'm always a second or two outside the window, so I either get hit by the front attacks, or the fire breath as it sweeps back between the tail, or I make it back to the tail unscathed and get a hit on the tail but then he murders me with the tail sweep. I cannot get through phase 1 without burning through all my estus unless I stick to spells. I can do phase 1 without getting hit once using pestilent mercury, but once phase 2 comes around the tracking laser that's a one hit kill gets me every time. It's a really cheap attack.

Every dragon in the series thus far is fought by rolling underneath it and hacking at its legs, and Midir is the culmination of the developers' efforts to punish that strategy. You have to attack from the front. So he'll do one of a few things: he'll do that opening extended hissy fit which kind of immediately sails over your head and rampages off into the distance, he'll swipe at you, which you can dodge through sideways or backwards, and he'll get increasingly pissy then collapse with his face right in front of you, he'll waste time roasting his underside which you can run away from and punish, or he'll do that two-axis laser sweep thing or a fire sweep.

That being said I stripped down to a light armor set and tanked him with Havel's Greatshield like a loving scrub

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Last time I fought Midir he didn't do the laser once, it's a long range move and if you make sure to always stay near him he won't use it.

Stay near his head, dodge his double side-swipe, when he raises his body up run towards his tail to avoid the fire breath, dodge his tail swipe as he turns around and then just rinse and repeat until he's dead. If he does the tantrum move, run after him and you'll be in front of his head once the move ends. In phase 2 do exactly the same, but also run from the explosion just like with the downwards fire breath.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Node posted:

What helped me win was a certain weapon. You look like a caster, so you may not be able to use it. Remember a very important person in Dark Souls history that fought against the abyss? Do you remember which weapon that person used to fight the abyss? Said weapon does more damage to creatures of the abyss. Like Darkeater Midir.

You also might try the ring that gives you more iframes but increases the damage you take. That ring is game changing if you're having trouble against a boss, its how I beat Gael.

...you really shouldn't use that last ring against Midir. Not since the last patch, anyway. Bloodring is now -30% damage absorption across the board, and it gives you 1 less i-frame (15 vs 16 pre-patch, instead of 12 normally). So you're risking being one shotted for not much gain, unless you're running Tears of Denial.

IronicDongz posted:

Ring of favor+3 is just a better Prisoner's Chain atm but I think prisoner's chain is getting buffed soon?

Prisoner's chain already got buffed, pre-patch it was -8% absorb in normal play and -15% in PVP. Now it's -3% in both, so there's pretty much no reason not to take it. Or take both it and favor +3, and go from being a glass cannon to having a shitload of health.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I didn't get hit by the laser until attempt 40 when I was less scared of him. He starts it if you're far away but it's a close range move. If you're aggressive you'll eat poo poo. With his billion hit points it's all about patience

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think I got hit by Midir's laser only once, when he starts doing it I just sprint at him off-center to avoid the initial shot and then cuddle up against his hind legs like a little armored sword-wielding kitten while he's doing the crazy sweeps and poo poo and that's how I dodge it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

drat, Gael was just about the most Dark Souls boss ever. That was awesome.

I think I'm gonna do a Farewell Dark Souls tour. NG4, no shields, no co-op, 100% all bosses and DLC.

I found a super badass look for my time-worn Ashen One. Firelink Helm, Slave Knight Chest, Slave Knight gloves, Lorian's Greaves, and Gael's Great Sword. I look like a knight who's been beat the gently caress up nonstop for the last thousand years, but has just one more job to do. Gotta get these assholes back on their thrones so I can get some rest.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gwyn definitely does what he does out of fear of the future (either for his children, or just in general) being unrecognisable entirely. It doesn't end up having a positive effect on the world.

I wonder if the the Age of Dark never coming about is why hollows lose their minds? After all, if a player goes hollow, they just keep trucking on. It's not until they lose a sense of purpose that they go mad. Humans are meant to have an Age of Dark, so the longer it's postponed, the longer it is until humans can fulfill their function fully. Hm.

Hodgepodge posted:

The other gods abandoned the place so long ago (probably a thousand years ago when Gwyn linked the flame) that the Painting Guardians have forgotten why they even devote their entire lives generation after generation to guarding it. I don't think anyone actually lives in the city anymore in DS1, and the Chosen Undead is the first person to actually make it through Sen's Fortress, well, ever.

Black Iron Tarkus got through Sen's!

Just not the cathedral...

There's the brass bonfire maiden as well.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Iretep posted:

while sorcerer start is one level ahead in that build youd probably have preferred a mercenary start since he doesent waste so many points in luck like sorc does. not sure why youre going for 20 int, if its just for chamaleon then just use the item for it and stick to 15 int.

Oh. Weird. It was for Hidden Body, but I could have sworn the planner said I needed 20 for it. 15 Will make things easier, but really...I don't have too many more places to put points.

I noticed AR doesn't go up for poo poo over 40 Dex. Does fire rate of the bow go up any? I know Dex increase casting speed somewhat.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

drat, Gael was just about the most Dark Souls boss ever. That was awesome.

I think I'm gonna do a Farewell Dark Souls tour. N64, no shields, no co-op, 100% all bosses and DLC.

I found a super badass look for my time-worn Ashen One. Firelink Helm, Slave Knight Chest, Slave Knight gloves, Lorian's Greaves, and Gael's Great Sword. I look like a knight who's been beat the gently caress up nonstop for the last thousand years, but has just one more job to do. Gotta get these assholes back on their thrones so I can get some rest.

That's how I read that the first time and my brain did that record-scratching noise and screeched to a halt because I thought I missed a From game on another system somewhere. :D

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HaB posted:

Oh. Weird. It was for Hidden Body, but I could have sworn the planner said I needed 20 for it. 15 Will make things easier, but really...I don't have too many more places to put points.

I noticed AR doesn't go up for poo poo over 40 Dex. Does fire rate of the bow go up any? I know Dex increase casting speed somewhat.

dex doesent affect attack speed. if you want more damage probably stacking hyper mode is the best. i havent really done a bow run so no idea how to do one really.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Iretep posted:

dex doesent affect attack speed. if you want more damage probably stacking hyper mode is the best. i havent really done a bow run so no idea how to do one really.

Yeah I haven't done one since DS1. In that a +15 Composite Bow and 40 Dex is just about all you need.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I should try a mage. I've never done anything with sorcery in 3 yet and it's has some neat tools.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I should try a mage. I've never done anything with sorcery in 3 yet and it's has some neat tools.

I went glass cannon with one character and other than the magic bosses, it worked amazing. Didn't need to rely much on melee, though I really abused hidden body.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A bit late but since Gwyn's big thing is portioning out bits of his soul to his followers I always figured his kids were just a greater example of that: beings formed from him dividing his soul. Thus he had no partners.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Sorcery is pretty fun in DS3. You got your pew pew lasers for raw damage and the utility spells are surprisingly useful. Hidden body got a bit of a nerf but it and spook let you sneak up on pretty much any enemy and backstab 'em. Magic/strong magic shield turn even mediocre medium shields into greatshields for the duration, which is especially good given you can backstab with your shield up in this. Plus you have a few cool weapons to play around with.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uncle w Benefits posted:

But he did it for selfish reasons: to deny the order of things by artificially extending the age of fire.

Somehow I don't think you would accept this argument if it was being used to promote something you thought was unfair or bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Now this is a man that understands life and adversity are one in the same

I saw a guy cosplaying as the Leper the other day and it was pretty good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tallgeese posted:

Somehow I don't think you would accept this argument if it was being used to promote something you thought was unfair or bad.

"If you agreed with this person's reasons you would agree with this person's actions" seems kinda obvious to me? That's how life works.|

Like I said before, Gwyn probably thought he was the good guy, but that doesn't prove you are the good guy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gwyn basically dicked humanity over because he was scared of the dark.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:madmax:

RBA Starblade posted:

Gwyn basically dicked humanity over because he was scared of the dark.
Is he wrong? When have we ever seen anything good happen in or because of the abyss

artorias hanging out down there turned him into a horrible mindless monster, as well as all the other humans in Oolacile. Ringed City doesn't seem much better off either, unless you like ravenous locusts.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dark souls is basic thermodynamics. In the end, fire dies out, entropy always tends to increase. The only way to reverse entropy is by using energy, doing work, but in the end this results in more entropy than what you would have had if you just let things sit, and it ends faster than it would have. There's no good guys or bad guys in thermodynamics. Neither kaathe or frampt are telling you the truth, because they probably dont even know the truth.

We humans, as people, have an innate drive to fight against entropy. Every living thing does. Life is a really crazy and insane thing when you consider thermodynamics. Things have gotten really complex, and life is one of the most complex things that exists (see the human brain, for example).

Cyclical cosmologies where the universe is reborn after a period don't work the same as a universe that gradually moves in one direction of ever increasing entropy. It seems to me like the people of dark souls tried to create a cycle for the universe that they lived in. Fire bursts into existence, then fades away, then is reignited. The crow dude you talk to in Ashes of Ariandel says something like "when the world has rotted, it must be burned away for the sake of what comes after". I haven't finished the ring city DLC yet, so I don't know how it connects to what happened in ashes, or if it continues that.

The civilization that the lords created after defeating the dragons was probably cool, I guess, but it also had people like Smough, who ate people. And Seathe, who performed depraved and insane experiments on people. The game never tells us what would happen if the flame fully died away. We can only guess. Would it be better for the flame to die? Should we relink the fire? There's lots of choices that show up, but also it's implied by DS2 that it doesn't really matter what the linker of the fire chooses, the cycle continues. It almost seems as if it's impossible for the fire to die out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I like how the Lords invoke the first lord souls. Aldrich is a mass of corpses like Nito. Ludeth is a pariah of his people, experimented with forbidden stuff, and has no legs. Lorthic was "chosen" before birth to unite the Lords of cinder. The abyss watchers are one great soul split among a group. Yhorm is a massive creature in the ruins of a place consumed by flame, also he is a puzzle boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I like how the Lords invoke the first lord souls. Aldrich is a mass of corpses like Nito. Ludeth is a pariah of his people, experimented with forbidden stuff, and has no legs. Lorthic was "chosen" before birth to unite the Lords of cinder. The abyss watchers are one great soul split among a group. Yhorm is a massive creature in the ruins of a place consumed by flame, also he is a puzzle boss.

Same in DS2 when you go NG+; Rotten has Nito's soul, Sinner has Witch's soul, Iron King has Gwyn's soul, and Freja has Seath's soul.

Its the same poo poo carried forward.

And Manus basically had the Pigmy's soul.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
That must be the worst soul to get- Soul of a Puzzle Boss

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

Is he wrong? When have we ever seen anything good happen in or because of the abyss

light brings disparity
the age of man is implied many times to be very different from the corruption of the Abyss that we see, because the shadows cast by light are different from total darkness

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

"Whose soul did you inherit?"
"Nito's. :smug: How about you?"
"The Bed of Chaos" :negative:

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 13, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

That must be the worst soul to get- Soul of a Puzzle Boss

At least you have to dodge his attacks and manage your charge time. It's kind of a real fight. I have fun in it. It's a shame everything about the capital is so barebones

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

At least you have to dodge his attacks and manage your charge time. It's kind of a real fight. I have fun in it. It's a shame everything about the capital is so barebones

Yhorm was last in line for getting a lord soul, so he got stuck with the Soul of a Puzzle Boss. How embarrassing!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Truly never caught a break, even in the meta elements. No wonder he got corrupted by the profaned flame and killed All The Fuckers

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
You get the wrong soul, then they don't even build you an exit from your throne. The man can't catch a break!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Finished all farming for Aldrich's covenant, now getting gangbanged to gently caress invading as a moundmaker in The Ringed City. :negative: Is the best way to farm for moundmakers literally through fightclubs?