Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Look, just because a vtwin supermoto is Space Whale's "flavor of the weak" it does not mean we need to ignore the valid persuit of a vtwin supermoto.

That said, I feel like the power output charactoristics of a thumper are far better suited to supermoto activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Coydog posted:

Look, just because a vtwin supermoto is Space Whale's "flavor of the weak" it does not mean we need to ignore the valid persuit of a vtwin supermoto.

That said, I feel like the power output charactoristics of a thumper are far better suited to supermoto activities.

isn't oil starvation a thing to worry about with a vtwin vehicle designed to wheelie and poo poo

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

990SMR :colbert:

I went down that rabbit hole last year, though, and there is nothing there. Closest you are gonna get is a scrabbler/sumo made from an SV650. Rad, but the KTM 690 SMCR makes the same power and 1/4 lighter.

I do want that vtwin sound/though :(

As a 990SMT owner, it's not quite the same and I still want a "real" supermoto. Partially to sate my more belligerent riding habits, and partially to keep myself from loving up the SMT.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Amazing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/852227033065299979

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAPLqHorShc Sounds good, too!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buncha scrubs in here never heard of moto morini.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Coydog posted:

scrabbler

Is that a

code:
    scrambler
    u
    p
    e
motard

31p no bonus
?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I wasn't interested in getting one, I was wondering how many existed :confused:

Had a convo at work about why most dirt bikes are singles and found an article saying that singles and v-twin dirt bikes were a thing, but only if they fired close together, supposedly. It went into racers finding out in the 80s that if you had all the cylinders fire close together you could get on the throttle quicker because you're just free-spinning most of the time and it was easier to modulate.

Then I realized I could only think of that Aprilia.

Also no I'm getting a DRZ, wtf. I did take my ninja up and down a graded dirt road today though. It was shockingly easy just really uncomfortable.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Who needs pesky cylinders? Electric is the waaaave of the future!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I need to photoshop a brazzers logo as brappers.

https://imgur.com/a/lJbmO

That's why.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Space Whale posted:

Are there v twin sumos besides that insane Aprilia?

http://1290smr.com

Slavvy posted:

Actually they're godawful.

Ride an S1000XR.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I took 101 South home today. Came across a bike crash. Some poor bastard wrecked a Striple. There were 5 or 6 people gathered around the rider who was leaned against the concrete dividers. Two nurses were there too. A bunch of loving monsters they were. The whole gaggle swarming the rider. "Oh... are you hurt" "don't move, hun" "police are on their way. You're going to be just fine." :jerkbag:

not one of them bothered checking on that poor bike. I picked it up for him and the poor thing didn't look too damaged. Hopefully someone can ride it soon. :smith: bless it's three-chambered soul.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Between a few bikes that I've borrowed to learn off friends and my current bike, I've never ridden a bike that wasn't a thumper. (I am the newbie - I have only ever ridden a GN250, Yamaha Scorpio, TT 250 and a CRF 250). Apart from just being not terrible and trying to find chances to ride multi cylinder bikes, how would riding a V twin or P Twin be like compared to riding a thumper?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Probably a great bike, definitely would be better with separate brakes.

Trambopaline posted:

Between a few bikes that I've borrowed to learn off friends and my current bike, I've never ridden a bike that wasn't a thumper. (I am the newbie - I have only ever ridden a GN250, Yamaha Scorpio, TT 250 and a CRF 250). Apart from just being not terrible and trying to find chances to ride multi cylinder bikes, how would riding a V twin or P Twin be like compared to riding a thumper?

A p-twin feels revvier and smoother but mostly similar. A v-twin feels monumental and a lot more characterful. But I'm generalising grossly and tbh at the 250 level the engine configuration is largely irrelevant unless you have an I4. There's little difference between a ninja 250 and a VTR 250, for example; even though the engines feel different for whirly engineeringy balancy reasons, they're both ultimately made to make as much power as possible with two cylinders and 250cc so the torque curves are pretty much the same.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Weird history question: 40s or 50s time frame, there was a guy trying to set a motorcycle speed record and I've seen photos of him in white leathers and wearing what can only be described as 'an aerodynamic butt cone'. The bike may have been a Zundapp, but various gis searches (in safe mode, not gonna lie) have come up empty. Has anybody here have even a faint clue as to who/what I might talking about?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Ernst Henne?

googling for that image also turned up this guy, which may be what you're looking for

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14dCNL1pzCA&t=55s

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Probably a great bike, definitely would be better with separate brakes.

A p-twin feels revvier and smoother but mostly similar. A v-twin feels monumental and a lot more characterful. But I'm generalising grossly and tbh at the 250 level the engine configuration is largely irrelevant unless you have an I4. There's little difference between a ninja 250 and a VTR 250, for example; even though the engines feel different for whirly engineeringy balancy reasons, they're both ultimately made to make as much power as possible with two cylinders and 250cc so the torque curves are pretty much the same.

The system is so good that you can't really tell it's there, the bike just applies rear brake the way they recommend it when you apply front brake - makes it insanely stable.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Sagebrush posted:

Ernst Henne?

googling for that image also turned up this guy, which may be what you're looking for

Henne! Yes! Danke!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

"he had another problem to face as well: his egg vibrated frantically"

:bigtran:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Space Whale posted:

I need to photoshop a brazzers logo as brappers.

https://imgur.com/a/lJbmO

That's why.

Would buy this sticker and have you never ship it.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
My VFR has linked brakes and for street riding they are A OK.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a feeling linked brakes are one of those things that are objectively better for 99% of riding situations, but people dislike them because "it feels different".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you still trail brake with linked brakes? There are times where it's objectively better to be able to apply braking force to just one end of the bike

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guess it depends on the implementation, but as I understand it most linked brake systems only engage the opposite brake over a certain threshold of brake pressure.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I like using the brake pedal to make my back end start to slide. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you still trail brake with linked brakes? There are times where it's objectively better to be able to apply braking force to just one end of the bike

With the linked systems that only apply one piston from the front when you apply the back, and the systems with lean sensitive ABS, yes - the other ones it is more complex but most folks don't trailbrake so hard they're pushing the front or rear to the limit of traction so it's not really a problem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was thinking more "dirt, but with street tires" wheee you already don't have a ton of traction in the front and you need to brake while leaned over, it's usually best to use the rear as the front is so close to washing out.

Niche use case, sure

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Regarding the Daytona 650 posted on the previous page, last weekend I got to ride a first-gen Daytona, the one with the stupid name that suggests it's a 600 while it's closer than a liter bike. I haven't ridden modern Daytonas but man that engine sure is different from the milquetoast whiny jet engine that powers the Tiger (I had only ridden Tigers and the Rocket). Actually sounds like a motorcycle, erratic idle, spits out the exhaust; a Triumph with character sure was surprising to me. Also, it gets really hot.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've owned a couple of vfrs and ridden blackbirds a couple of time for decent distances. I've never been a rider to really push it but I never even noticed the linked brakes during regular riding. If you really stomp on the rear you can make the front dive a bit, but I've always been a front brake only person unless at low speeds.

I would think that the honda system helped more people than it hurt. If you're riding hard enough on the street that the performance is a problem you should be at the track with a different bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

n8r posted:

I've owned a couple of vfrs and ridden blackbirds a couple of time for decent distances. I've never been a rider to really push it but I never even noticed the linked brakes during regular riding. If you really stomp on the rear you can make the front dive a bit, but I've always been a front brake only person unless at low speeds.

I would think that the honda system helped more people than it hurt. If you're riding hard enough on the street that the performance is a problem you should be at the track with a different bike.

Linked brakes are actually good and awesome for stop and go commuting. I don't prefer them for canyon carving though.
I think next time I go to bleed my brakes on the VFR I'll probably just de-link them instead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
UK goons, as is traditional now, Abba are doing free P&P on all their stuff over the bank holiday weekend. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're using anything other than an Abba stand to do work on your bike you are objectively Wrong and Dumb and probably smell like boiled cabbage. This goes double if your bike can't accept one of these stands and triple if you have a centre stand.

Yes, they are more pricey than a (cheap) paddock stand but they're about twenty million times easier to use and way, way more useful and versatile (and also pack away into a much smaller space than a paddock stand).

They've also added an amazingly useful little thing to their range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62D5ab6cMk

which I've just ordered to save me even the minimal effort of lifting the bike when I'm just washing the wheels and lubing the chain. Feels a little pricey for what it is but I've already spent more money than that on games on Steam this weekend so...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I sold my bike, but a local karting place does this a few times a month. I think they might rent me a bike, should I do it?

Yes or definitely yes

https://youtu.be/kFl2FUt2xxY

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I sold my bike, but a local karting place does this a few times a month. I think they might rent me a bike, should I do it?

Yes or definitely yes

Yes, but on a minimoto so you can get your knee down.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PaintVagrant posted:

Yes or definitely yes

Holy poo poo I would love to race Groms on this thing.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They've also added an amazingly useful little thing to their range:

[vidya]

which I've just ordered to save me even the minimal effort of lifting the bike when I'm just washing the wheels and lubing the chain. Feels a little pricey for what it is but I've already spent more money than that on games on Steam this weekend so...
Man, this is really cool. I wish it wasn't $100, I agree that it seems steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, Harbor Freight has you covered!

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-cleaning-stand-98800.html