Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bewbies posted:

I...actually kind of liked that movie although I haven't seen it in a solid decade.

This is hearsay but I've had a bunch of colleagues insist that if anything that actor played down Basil Plumley's hooah factor.

fuckgod drat lieutenants (spits)

The thing is it paints the events as a hard fought US victory that ultimately vindicated the airmobile concept but with a fictional successful attack on day 3 and ending before day 4 where they all got ambushed while marching to another landing zone and suffered heavy casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fangz posted:

Yeah.

Surely the explanation is actually the opposite - the fire isn't 'pulling in the air'. The *cooling* of the previously hot air around the flame as the flame goes out is what reduces the pressure inside the cup and sucks in the water.

I'm not sure in this particular case, actually. There's water being created in this reaction as well that might affect the volume if it condenses fast enough, but it might just be a bad example I chose. I'm used to working where convection draws off the exhaust, which I think is actually the better comparison for most flamethrower victim scenarios. The fire consumes a ton of primary air for it's reaction and the convection of hot gasses rising away sucks air in from wherever it can. Maybe we can get in touch with a stuntman who's gotten a little too much on fire and find out what it was like.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 13, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

glynnenstein posted:

I'm not sure in this particular case, actually. There's water being created in this reaction as well that might affect the volume if it condenses fast enough, but it might just be a bad example I chose. I'm used to working where convection draws off the exhaust, which I think is actually the better comparison for most flamethrower victim scenarios. The fire consumes a ton of primary air for it's reaction and the convection of hot gasses rising away sucks air in from wherever it can.

I just don't think that works fast enough relative to reaching 3% CO concentration which is really easy.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fangz posted:

I just don't think that works fast enough relative to reaching 3% CO concentration which is really easy.

Possibly. With boilers you're working with very clean exhaust because you're striving for efficient primary air volumes, so very low CO production (theoretical perfect combustion would be no CO at all). I'm not sure how much CO a napalm fire produces or how quickly. In the confines of a cave where you rapidly starve the oxygen you'd be producing relatively a lot of CO from incomplete combustion, too.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

The thing is it paints the events as a hard fought US victory that ultimately vindicated the airmobile concept but with a fictional successful attack on day 3 and ending before day 4 where they all got ambushed while marching to another landing zone and suffered heavy casualties.

If you're watching Mel Gibson movies with the intent of getting accurate depictions of historical events you're doing it wrong.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Forgotten Weapons did a few good videos on flamethrowers a while ago!

https://youtu.be/ts55TNp1Fq4

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Molentik posted:

Forgotten Weapons did a few good videos on flamethrowers a while ago!

https://youtu.be/ts55TNp1Fq4

The guy who has actual access to a flamethrower says CO is what kills, which is good enough for me!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

glynnenstein posted:

The guy who has actual access to a flamethrower says CO is what kills, which is good enough for me!

https://youtu.be/mOnH_deRTHw

At 3:00 in: "gross, paneling, also lol at this wall"

5:30 in: :aaaaa:

E: 20:00 in: :supaburn:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 13, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bewbies posted:

If you're watching Mel Gibson movies with the intent of getting accurate depictions of historical events you're doing it wrong.

Still not as silly as Apocalypto; that mass sacrifice happened in 1480, well before the Spanish arrived.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sullat posted:

Still not as silly as Apocalypto; that mass sacrifice happened in 1480, well before the Spanish arrived.

The best part of that movie was when they told the guy to rub some kind of spicy leaf on his junk to improve his chances of knocking his lady up and he comes screaming out of his hut

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

bewbies posted:

If you're watching Mel Gibson movies you're doing it wrong.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

The best part of that movie was when they told the guy to rub some kind of spicy leaf on his junk to improve his chances of knocking his lady up and he comes screaming out of his hut

And then she comes out screaming as well. Kind of a dick move, if you ask me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

https://youtu.be/mOnH_deRTHw

At 3:00 in: "gross, paneling, also lol at this wall"

5:30 in: :aaaaa:

E: 20:00 in: :supaburn:

Did you mean to post this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPQYK5ZMbWY

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

No, I meant to post the gun wall one because it's downright impressive and there's one gun in the middle that's all scorched on one side because its owner was roasted by a flamethrower.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

FAUXTON posted:

No, I meant to post the gun wall one because it's downright impressive and there's one gun in the middle that's all scorched on one side because its owner was roasted by a flamethrower.

Except the part blocked by his hand, dang.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Apocalypto is good movie and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. We Were Soldiers is middling and other Mel Gibson flicks suck, yes, but Apocalypto is good, and it's admirable imo to make a film about indians filmed entirely in the appropriate language.

Braveheart is also good for a comedy watch. It was on tv the other day, and jesus, lol.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Has the whole 'hoho, I am so evil, I'm gonna shoot my own guys in the back in the middle of combat because we'll get some of them as well' Hollywood thing ever historically happened?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Not quite the same but french Knights​ at crecy charged over their own crossbowmen to get at the English army

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Has the whole 'hoho, I am so evil, I'm gonna shoot my own guys in the back in the middle of combat because we'll get some of them as well' Hollywood thing ever historically happened?

This is clearly personal bias but pretty much the entirety of "Zero Dark Thirty"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

If there are I'm putting my money on it being nazis.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apocalypto is good movie and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. We Were Soldiers is middling and other Mel Gibson flicks suck, yes, but Apocalypto is good, and it's admirable imo to make a film about indians filmed entirely in the appropriate language.

Braveheart is also good for a comedy watch. It was on tv the other day, and jesus, lol.

Sure, but then the ending spoiled it. The Spanish arrival saved the main character, seemed too much like the old argument that Christianity was such a great gift, it outweighed any harm done to the natives. Maybe that wasn't the intentional meaning, but that's how I read it, and given Gibson's personal beliefs...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GotLag posted:

Wood has issues of its own. Can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but Australian SMLEs with stocks made of coachwood were apparently notorious for splitting.

I own one of those. gently caress that gun and gently caress that wood. Awful stuff (but pretty)

RE: SMGs and stamped metal guns:

it has nothing to do with the pressure of the cartridges being used and everything to do with recoil. Simply put welding thin pieces of metal together was still a developing art in the 1930s and the welds you could make weren't that strong. The recoil from a pistol cartridge is a lot less than the recoil from a rifle cartridge, which means you're far less likely to pop your welds. The Germans in particular put a lot of thought into the problem and got very good at it, eventually leading up to stamped and welded MGs. It's no mistake that the first widely adopted post-war stamped and welded assault rifle was the CETME, a gun made under contract for Spain by some engineers named Heckler and Koch who used to work for Mauser during the war.

You can also see this in the development of the AK. It started out life with a milled receiver and eventually moved to stamped receivers as they figured out how to do that right. Interestingly they never went stamped (eventually extruded) + welded like most German post-war guns did, sticking to riveting in the trunnions. No, I don't know why, although I suspect it has something to do with welding techniques in the USSR ca. the 1950s.

RE: that movie about the medic.

I loving lost it when the dude picked up a body and used it as a shield. First off, a human upper torso is going to be goddamned HEAVY. Even if you were WWF-grade ripped you're not going to just hoist 75 pounds of limp flesh like that. The way he was moving it around made it REALLY obvious that it was a latex dummy. Goddamn.

Also bodies don't stop bullets like that. Maybe, MAYBE pistol rounds but the full sized rifle rounds that the Japanese were using in that scene? In one side, out the other, and into Brosef McBenchPress's chest.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 13, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
It's actually really interesting to me to look at the evolution of what's a practical way to make military firearms; increasingly intricate forgings (sometimes in aluminum) being one school of thought, stampings being another, and now making receivers out of extrusion? I feel like the production methods have evolved to the point where there won't be a clear consensus on what is cheapest...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

It's actually really interesting to me to look at the evolution of what's a practical way to make military firearms; increasingly intricate forgings (sometimes in aluminum) being one school of thought, stampings being another, and now making receivers out of extrusion? I feel like the production methods have evolved to the point where there won't be a clear consensus on what is cheapest...

Don't forget plastics. Injection molding completely revolutionized pistols and it's working its way into rifles.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't forget plastics. Injection molding completely revolutionized pistols and it's working its way into rifles.

Right - usually not for structural things though, I don't think? The SCAR is kind of what I'm looking at for Western-oriented current "best" production practices.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

Well, at least until the red blood cells that've been altered by the monoxide are naturally filtered out. If you survive and wait a month or two you should be more or less okay.

EDIT: Huh, I was literally taught that it was "permanent" until your blood cycled in first year haematology. But wikipedia is definitely the source to not trust :v:

Yeah I always thought that too, weird.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

Right - usually not for structural things though, I don't think? The SCAR is kind of what I'm looking at for Western-oriented current "best" production practices.

There are a few companies making AR lowers out of plastics now. One is a really good design that fundamentally changed the lower (Cav Arms was the original company, then whoever they sold out to is making them today) and there were a few early designs which were identical to aluminum lowers and had problems with breaking along the buffer tube ring. Apparently a few other companies have fixed that, but I'm not super up to date on it now.

I've got one of the plastic cav arms lowers and it's a great rifle. Light as hell and zero problems.

Really, though, we just need to start designing rifles around the material. We're still in the early stages. It's kind of like how the first stamped SMGs were essentially milled designs that they retrofitted for the new tech (see MP38 to MP40 transition), but within a few years they were churning out guns specifically designed for that type of production. Making a gun designed for an aluminum lower plastic is tricky. What we need is the Glock of rifles - a gun designed from the ground up around polymer structural parts that minimizes its weaknesses (fracturing in stress areas, for example) and maximizes its strengths (incredibly thin spots where not structurally important - e.g. how thin the walls of a Glock's magwell can be, and how this lets you do double stack in a relatively narrow grip).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sullat posted:

Sure, but then the ending spoiled it. The Spanish arrival saved the main character, seemed too much like the old argument that Christianity was such a great gift, it outweighed any harm done to the natives. Maybe that wasn't the intentional meaning, but that's how I read it, and given Gibson's personal beliefs...

That's true, I kinda forgot the ending since it's been a while.

The new AMC show The Son, set in Texas half in 1849 and half in 1915, has a lot of comanches so far speaking english, spanish, and comanche. They seem like assholes in the just-aired first episode but the main character is an anglo captive so it's to be expected they'd be dicks to him. It seems like it's going to end up with the main guy and the comanche being fairly chill so I hope it does them a decent portrayal. I was born a few miles from the last major battle between the US cavalry and the Comanche so I'm invested, anyway.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Broken clock is right once in a while, but there is some much wrong or half assery in that movie that caused so much damage.
my friends and i watched it for the props
couldn't remember the plot if you asked me

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAIL posted:

Mean english committing all the movie standby nazi atrocities. You know the bit with locking the villagers in teh Oradour-sur-Glane church and lighting it on fire? Or the Riga synagogs?

Yeah, replace :hitler: with redcoats.

:911:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://youtu.be/gBuvmidN8Dc

Is a good breakdown.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

There are a few companies making AR lowers out of plastics now. One is a really good design that fundamentally changed the lower (Cav Arms was the original company, then whoever they sold out to is making them today) and there were a few early designs which were identical to aluminum lowers and had problems with breaking along the buffer tube ring. Apparently a few other companies have fixed that, but I'm not super up to date on it now.

I've got one of the plastic cav arms lowers and it's a great rifle. Light as hell and zero problems.

Really, though, we just need to start designing rifles around the material. We're still in the early stages. It's kind of like how the first stamped SMGs were essentially milled designs that they retrofitted for the new tech (see MP38 to MP40 transition), but within a few years they were churning out guns specifically designed for that type of production. Making a gun designed for an aluminum lower plastic is tricky. What we need is the Glock of rifles - a gun designed from the ground up around polymer structural parts that minimizes its weaknesses (fracturing in stress areas, for example) and maximizes its strengths (incredibly thin spots where not structurally important - e.g. how thin the walls of a Glock's magwell can be, and how this lets you do double stack in a relatively narrow grip).

Hell, while I'm at it, this was posted over in TFR recently. It's a pretty good breakdown of what the current state of the art is at least as far as ARs go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI5NPiicXjE

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HEY GAIL posted:

It's exactly the same plot as Braveheart, except in the Patriot he wins and in Braveheart he fucks the princess and then gets quartered.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 13, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Phanatic posted:

It's exactly the same plot as Braveheart, except in the Patriot he wins and in Braveheart he fucks the princess and then gets quartered.

Good times

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm pretty sure the real example of the church burning was the revolutionary forces against the Loyalists?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
So

MOAB's, huh.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Syria is Russia's playground for high tech weaponry.

Afghanistan is ours.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Syria is Russia's playground for high tech weaponry.

Afghanistan is ours.

It took us years, billions of dollars and our best minds but we did it..... a really loving massive bomb. Let's get pizza

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you price the MOAB by taking the development cost plus the cost of the initial order and then divide it among the number that have been used in wartime, well, it's like a $300 million bomb we dropped because it's the first one. The actual ticket price is of course lower because you don't count the program cost like that but it's a solid example of Pentagon wars poo poo where we just heap millions on arms manufacturers for poo poo we never use outside Aberdeen or wherever the appropriate proving ground/testing range is.

It was developed in 2002 and has been in the stockpile since 2003 so that bomb almost made it to high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

FAUXTON posted:

It was developed in 2002 and has been in the stockpile since 2003 so that bomb almost made it to high school.

A real shame. It had a long life ahead of it.