Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not that big calm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Typo posted:

that book sucked idk how anyone can like it

:vd:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lmao at the idea of anyone being so angry about Hitchhiker's Guide that they'd have some sort of weird backlash

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

eonwe posted:

my favorite thing about the democrats are their relentless purity tests and their willingness to say someone is a bad person when we disagree on even a single issue slightly
my least favorite thing abut republicans is how they dont care and like to win

Republicans care a lot about purity tests and came up with "RINO" and did that whole tea party coup on their party.

They are just better at purity tests.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

euphronius posted:

It's not that big calm down

nerd

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

euphronius posted:

Space is big but you gotta go fast

The Sonic Principle

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
aliens dont talk to us because we dont have cool poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FactsAreUseless posted:

lmao at the idea of anyone being so angry about Hitchhiker's Guide that they'd have some sort of weird backlash

Don't make me come over there. :clint:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Paul Ryan is an alternate universe doppelganger of Ron Paul who has come here to kill everyone's parents

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

which of these two responses is normal:

"do you remember that book that was popular in the 70s, I enjoyed it"

"do you remember that book that was popular in the 70s, well, I loving HATED IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Oh Jeffery, oh boy!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

There's a small group of ex-SETI dudes called METI that are actively trying to contact aliens by pushing signals at known goldilocks regions. Their old SETI buddies are pissed and say they could doom the species.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
listen, im a space man, i read enders game. space is NOT nearly as big as some people have claimed

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Typo posted:

that book sucked idk how anyone can like it

that part about god vanishing in a puff of logic is the answer I usually see people coming up with

Bbbbut fauxton it's such an elegant and brutal own I need to work it into casual conversation when Mom takes me to Sunday school

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

itt nerds desperately trying to prove to themselves that they've grown up

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

paranoid randroid posted:

aliens dont talk to us because we dont have cool poo poo.

And also because we'd shoot them the instant they appeared. I wouldn't talk to us either

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

FactsAreUseless posted:

"do you remember that book that was popular in the 70s, well, I loving HATED IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

sorry dude lots of books they made us read in hs sucked

i really liked ender's game though

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Schnorkles posted:

yeah, this is a good point, though i think goldwater is a little unique based on where he fell in a historical context

not really?

like Al- pointed out, trump is probably the quintessential case study where he said gently caress you to norquist's tax pledge and basically told everyone he was only signing up to other pledges or tests for the optics. the religious nuts who were pro-trump didn't hold it against him that he didn't really know what a bible contained or how to use one. the only people with actual purity tests were various shades of #neverttrump shitheads who were all left by the wayside

if anything, purity tests indicate ONLY resistance to a candidate as people try to find morally justifiable reasons to not vote for that candidate. nixon in '72 didn't get purity tests thrown at him and he skated to a landslide, while mcgovern was flayed by every group with an agenda as not an ideal candidate for them

in politics, you don't really want fervored interest because it creates positive political expectations that the faithful will hold you to in both word and deed (howard dean lol). you want more of a gestalt acceptance of a candidate's aesthetic, like the whole "nixon will bring law and order" or "george w bush is the kinda guy to have a drink with" or "trump is a no holds barred rear end kicker". that's why hillary tanked in the general - she focused on navigating purity tests (very competently!) but never created a singular aesthetic to rally behind, creating far too much space to debate the details of the answers to those tests. the democrats' primary creating a huge swath of politically engaged individuals (and their legion of bespoke purity tests) rather than A Consensus Candidate With An Approachable Message was what turned a landslide into a catastrophe

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

euphronius posted:

So ?

Earth calmed down around 1.5 billion years ago. ( not looking this up) whatever happened in the edicarean and Cambrian could have happened at any time after like 1.5 billion years.

Also the dinosaurs were intelligent anyway so it takes even less time . They obv were not space faring

I'm sure some if the dinos became space faring when their bodies were launched into orbit by the asteroid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite is THe is the alcubierre drive, which could work as a warp drive but you need exotic matter in with equivalent energy of the observable universe and it would destroy everything in its path.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

itt nerds desperately trying to prove to themselves that they've grown up

despite being married and apparently having responsibility i refuse to actually believe that i have any maturity

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
http://www.thewrap.com/chris-christie-eyed-to-replace-sports-radio-host-mike-francesa/

quote:

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie could soon be making the jump from politics to the airwaves — and constantly have a mic in front of him to share his opinions.

Christie is being eyed to replace sports radio host Mike Francesa on WFAN, NorthJersey.com reported on Wednesday.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

trick question!!!!!!!!! Which one is hitler saying??

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

magiccarpet posted:

There's a small group of ex-SETI dudes called METI that are actively trying to contact aliens by pushing signals at known goldilocks regions. Their old SETI buddies are pissed and say they could doom the species.

the SETI guys are right

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

holy poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you remember that president that was popular in the 80s, he sure has some fuckin' obsessive fans

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

magiccarpet posted:

is it nanowrimo already

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
first contact would be like some green dudes with antennae landing in Nebraska, taking off their designer sunglasses, going "Good lord, Reginald, how provincial. Do they even have a Glartsby and Hrmnmnrn's boutique? Oh, sod this, let's just vacation on Plantifex 3 again this year." and then leaving

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

i don't think about stuff I hate from last week, much less stuff from before i was born

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Do you remember Hitchhikers guide??? Well suck a whole egg because Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a better book!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Actually my real answer to the Fermi paradox is everyone who gets to a certain level of civilization uploads themselves into technological immortality and "live" on servers stored in gravity wells

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never read the book but, people are free to not like thing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mormonpartyboat posted:

not really?

like Al- pointed out, trump is probably the quintessential case study where he said gently caress you to norquist's tax pledge and basically told everyone he was only signing up to other pledges or tests for the optics. the religious nuts who were pro-trump didn't hold it against him that he didn't really know what a bible contained or how to use one. the only people with actual purity tests were various shades of #neverttrump shitheads who were all left by the wayside

if anything, purity tests indicate ONLY resistance to a candidate as people try to find morally justifiable reasons to not vote for that candidate. nixon in '72 didn't get purity tests thrown at him and he skated to a landslide, while mcgovern was flayed by every group with an agenda as not an ideal candidate for them

in politics, you don't really want fervored interest because it creates positive political expectations that the faithful will hold you to in both word and deed (howard dean lol). you want more of a gestalt acceptance of a candidate's aesthetic, like the whole "nixon will bring law and order" or "george w bush is the kinda guy to have a drink with" or "trump is a no holds barred rear end kicker". that's why hillary tanked in the general - she focused on navigating purity tests (very competently!) but never created a singular aesthetic to rally behind, creating far too much space to debate the details of the answers to those tests. the democrats' primary creating a huge swath of politically engaged individuals (and their legion of bespoke purity tests) rather than A Consensus Candidate With An Approachable Message was what turned a landslide into a catastrophe

actually i was just remarking that "goldwater" would be a good nickname for Our Piss-based President

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Do you remember that president that was popular in the 80s, he sure has some fuckin' obsessive fans
Really? I never hear anyone bring up Pinochet anymore.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

bustin' makes me feel good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

We would not be able to detect a human level intelligence unless they were broadcasting at us. True . Radio does degrade but we could transmit now to the nearest stars

We don't see evidence of super advanced intelligence tho . And they haven't visited is . Space is big but also time is long. There is more than enough time to travel around and colonize.

Travel around and colonize? Reality isn't Star Trek. The closest star to us is Alpha Centauri. It's four light years away. If we had the ability to make a space ship that could travel at half light speed, which be the greatest engineering feat ever, it would take eight years to get there. Building a space ship that could safely transport a group of humans large enough to have a sufficiently diverse genetic pool for a succesful colony for eight years through space between stars would be the greatest engineering challenge mankind has ever faced, times fifty. A one way trip to the closest star would be the most difficult challenge humanity has ever faced. And a second trip to another star wouldn't be much easier. The idea that if aliens existed they would surely be doing that regularly is born purely out of science fiction

Typo posted:

so the great filter basically, either we are past it (and will prob go colonize space) or we aren't (we'll blow ourselves up just like the millions of other civilizations which existed since the universe was young)

THE GREAT FILTER IS BULLSHIT. THERE IS ZERO EVIDENCE FOR THE GREAT FILTER. It's just some poo poo a sad European in early atomic age nihilism said, and people repeat it because the dude was smart about other stuff

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what im saiyan is aliens arent sending us their best, theyre sending us their equivalent of Jared and the Jareds

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Chris James 2 posted:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ention-canceled

Why does the Onion even bother anymore, reality is just running circles around them at this point

:prepop:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

mormonpartyboat posted:

not really?

i don't disagree with any of this, but i'd also argue that presidential elections are very different from others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

first contact would be like some green dudes with antennae landing in Nebraska, taking off their designer sunglasses, going "Good lord, Reginald, how provincial. Do they even have a Glartsby and Hrmnmnrn's boutique? Oh, sod this, let's just vacation on Plantifex 3 again this year." and then leaving

God i hate the space british

• Locked thread