Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the prestige like? Hopefully it's more than just "okay you get x1.5 energy".
Also judging by the achievements there seems to be some kind of story so at least the game has an end.

Right now I'm on my first restart and it's pretty straightforward still, but it's clear that you can do something with the Quantum Physics research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The highest skill you've ever reached in any task translates to 10% per level bonus speed, I think.

Haven't finished the story yet, but it should give an energy bonus.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Right now I'm on my first restart and it's pretty straightforward still, but it's clear that you can do something with the Quantum Physics research.

You'll need level 50 in that before the event triggers so it'll be a few loops.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Yesterday I went to see a financial advisor, and spent the rest of the day going over the data on my brokerage's interface with a fine-toothed comb. When my wife came home, I told her I felt like a huge dork because I'd spent the whole day nerding over numbers and mix-maxxing saving money.

Without missing a beat she said "That makes perfect sense. You'r'e just LARPing one of those make-the-numbers-bigger games you like."

:iceburn:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the prestige like? Hopefully it's more than just "okay you get x1.5 energy".
Also judging by the achievements there seems to be some kind of story so at least the game has an end.

Each level of each skill at prestige makes it faster to learn that skill. Same with job positions. But your Roy will never be truly happy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, your guy always wants bigger and better housing as he gets older, which requires more time in chores. Happiness is a pretty interesting mechanic because of this; it's impossible to balance without a lot of groundhogging and knowing exactly how to proceed with your new life. This is a Good Idler.

I have been Burger King once. Now I'm grinding my way through the Quantum Mechanics progression.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, your guy always wants bigger and better housing as he gets older, which requires more time in chores. Happiness is a pretty interesting mechanic because of this; it's impossible to balance without a lot of groundhogging and knowing exactly how to proceed with your new life. This is a Good Idler.

I have been Burger King once. Now I'm grinding my way through the Quantum Mechanics progression.

I haven't played much of it (I'm gonna start putting time into it now, in fact) but it seemed to me like chores can be easily counteracted with the servants or whatever they're called, since money seems to be easy to make?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

I haven't played much of it (I'm gonna start putting time into it now, in fact) but it seemed to me like chores can be easily counteracted with the servants or whatever they're called, since money seems to be easy to make?

Money is less easy to make when you're actually trying to win and thus can't go nuts on Yugle profits.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Game is good. lol if you don't spend $200/day on food because gently caress you I want to be happy

(but I recognize that only works if you're progressing towards top career rather than the Quantum Physics line that presumably actually makes you win eventually?)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Game is good. lol if you don't spend $200/day on food because gently caress you I want to be happy

(but I recognize that only works if you're progressing towards top career rather than the Quantum Physics line that presumably actually makes you win eventually?)

Quantum Physics 50 by age 28 unlocks the endgame.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Game needs a fast forward option

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Winning is a full reset so don't put it off once available.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Len posted:

Game needs a fast forward option

Yeah, honestly this is my biggest problem with the game right now. Long periods of nothing happening at all.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This is the best idler I've played in a while. I'm having a lot of fun planning lives to establish a progression path that will get me through a career faster.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

Ugh, I was kinda hoping it was 50 in your life ever, you have to have 50 when the event rolls in?

Also I laughed at "Dark Plateau" once I figured out why it was named that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think I'm done. Double energy is not enough to keep me interested in a second lap.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ugh, I was kinda hoping it was 50 in your life ever, you have to have 50 when the event rolls in?

Also I laughed at "Dark Plateau" once I figured out why it was named that.

After the first time you don't have to wait for the event. It's not really worth doing til you can throw out 500 each of study skills and nutrition. Even then it took me 3 lives just to build up enough bonuses on the final researches to actually win.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 13, 2017

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
fwiw you can speed it up to 1.5 speed with a speed hack, but anything above that and the pauses to catch up take longer than the actual benefit of speed hacking it. The game code is obfuscated so I don't think there's a tickrate increaser a la kittensgame.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

But your Roy will never be truly happy.

dis astranagant posted:

So this is an ARG for Rick and Morty Season 3, then, right?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How does the happiness from your home work? Does your character just want a better home at certain ages?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It seems that way, yeah. And it accelerates as you get older, in terms of home desires I mean.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

How does the happiness from your home work? Does your character just want a better home at certain ages?

Yes. He also gets unhappy when you have too much non-disposed income and aren't living in a mansion.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I wish there was more purchases to make. You end up with a shitton of money but going negative for a while tanks all your stats even if you have a ton of savings.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Yes. He also gets unhappy when you have too much non-disposed income and aren't living in a mansion.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It seems that way, yeah. And it accelerates as you get older, in terms of home desires I mean.

"I wish I had spent my money on getting better housing instead of buying 200 dollars worth of food every single day of my life"

E: Just realized this means you can just go back to a lovely house if you can't afford one your character wants and the happiness hit is offset by the loss of chores.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 13, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If anything, a "Waste all my money on pointless luxuries" option would be nice, no actual benefit except setting your net income to zero for the happiness boost.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
While we're at it - I get that the lack of a medium option between the cleaner and servant si probably on purpose, but it would be nice to hire TWO cleaners or something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

"I wish I had spent my money on getting better housing instead of buying 200 dollars worth of food every single day of my life"
In my defense, the food feels way overpowered relative to the few other cash sinks in terms of the happiness (and energy, what the hell) it gives you. $200 for +45% energy is a way better deal than the housing in terms of time-spent-doing-chores!

Also, holy poo poo, forget about QM 50 by age 28 to start the Dark Plateau stuff, to get the job after Senior Scientist you need ten levels in Senior Scientist and 500 levels in QM :eyepop:

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight take me another loop or two to prestige up to that :shepicide:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if it's on the to-do list, but there's a point where your biggest limitation is that you can only level up once per day, which means to get to level 500, it's going to take 500 days no matter your skill.

In cases like that, I'd at least like to be able to automatically get credit for time off for the wasted research, or even better, split research between a bunch of subjects.
It'd probably really change the balance though, so I don't know.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

While we're at it - I get that the lack of a medium option between the cleaner and servant si probably on purpose, but it would be nice to hire TWO cleaners or something.

I'm not at the point where I can get a servant yet but I assume it's something that's supposed to work in conjunction with what DACK FAYDEN said.
At first you just max food for the happiness and then when you can easily afford a servant you can suddenly blast through the housing options without a drawback.

E: ^^^^

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 13, 2017

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

some of this is getting a little too real for me

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm not at the point where I can get a servant yet but I assume it's something that's supposed to work in conjunction with what DACK FAYDEN said.
At first you just max food for the happiness and then when you can easily afford a servant you can suddenly blast through the housing options without a drawback.

E: ^^^^

Yeah, I discovered just now that the "Income ratio" happiness modifier can be maxed even if your net income isn't exactly zero.

...by buying literally everything (four servants, mansion, $200 food) and being a Yugle CEO with some levels in Investment and a million in the bank so I have income of 3205 and expenses of 3250 and my dude's not sweating the -$45/day :retrogames:

e: That said, how do you make "work/life balance" go up? Do I have to use that time to not do research?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
What happens if you just rip off Mrs Pennywise and keep the wallet? I don't dare because I've not yet been desperate enough for cash to keep it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ignoranus posted:

What happens if you just rip off Mrs Pennywise and keep the wallet? I don't dare because I've not yet been desperate enough for cash to keep it.

You get :10bux: and that's it.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Is there some other point to that interaction? It seemed like there were going to be more events but nope.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

chiefnewo posted:

Is there some other point to that interaction? It seemed like there were going to be more events but nope.

Seems like proof of concept more than anything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: That said, how do you make "work/life balance" go up? Do I have to use that time to not do research?

Yup. You basically have to put time into Free Time (that is, unassigned) and that'll go up.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What skills do you guys level up? It's really hard to decide because it seems so much effort for linear gains but then in the next reset they get faster so you want to level them up after all and then you spread your research out and now all your skills are poo poo.

chiefnewo posted:

You inherit an inconsequential amount of money later.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

What skills do you guys level up? It's really hard to decide because it seems so much effort for linear gains but then in the next reset they get faster so you want to level them up after all and then you spread your research out and now all your skills are poo poo.
For me it was:
First run: Study Skills, Nutrition, Leadership, a bit of Programming and a very little bit of Getting Stuff Done
Second run: Leadership into Programming and its subskills to the reqs for Yugle CEO, then Study Skills and Nutrition and Getting Stuff Done and then Quantum Mechanics for the multiplier
Third run: Yugle CEO reqs, Nutrition and Study Skills, more Leadership (ended up taking it to like 150ish) for the multiplier, then more Nutrition/Study Skills to prepare a sick multiplier for next run and QM for an even bigger multiplier.
Fourth run: Yugle CEO into Lambda CEO. I don't know if I'll have enough time to do all this research before I hit 60 but I've got 400 Study Skills/500 Nutrition/500 Quantum Mechanics/300 Leadership so next run I probably won't bother with Yugle at all. Wonder if I could go straight into QM and never progress beyond the first few flippers? I guess Leadership would be fine for buffing XP at Lambda so really it's just Programming I'd avoid, and the Lambda CEO position pays fine.

Investing is a trap, Getting Stuff Done is good for the first hour it can produce and okay for the second (level 120 it gets slacking down to 0:53) but I wouldn't take it further,

...yeah holy poo poo there's a LOT of research required at Lambda Complex, I was hoping the fourth one would be done but the fifth one requires level 200 in the fourth one :eyepop:

Definitely avoid Yugle to save yourself from having to bother learning to program, I think. Can use that time to buff Nutrition and Study Skills more to prepare for this giant research rush at the end.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

For me it was:
First run: Study Skills, Nutrition, Leadership, a bit of Programming and a very little bit of Getting Stuff Done
Second run: Leadership into Programming and its subskills to the reqs for Yugle CEO, then Study Skills and Nutrition and Getting Stuff Done and then Quantum Mechanics for the multiplier
Third run: Yugle CEO reqs, Nutrition and Study Skills, more Leadership (ended up taking it to like 150ish) for the multiplier, then more Nutrition/Study Skills to prepare a sick multiplier for next run and QM for an even bigger multiplier.
Fourth run: Yugle CEO into Lambda CEO. I don't know if I'll have enough time to do all this research before I hit 60 but I've got 400 Study Skills/500 Nutrition/500 Quantum Mechanics/300 Leadership so next run I probably won't bother with Yugle at all. Wonder if I could go straight into QM and never progress beyond the first few flippers? I guess Leadership would be fine for buffing XP at Lambda so really it's just Programming I'd avoid, and the Lambda CEO position pays fine.

Investing is a trap, Getting Stuff Done is good for the first hour it can produce and okay for the second (level 120 it gets slacking down to 0:53) but I wouldn't take it further,

...yeah holy poo poo there's a LOT of research required at Lambda Complex, I was hoping the fourth one would be done but the fifth one requires level 200 in the fourth one :eyepop:

Definitely avoid Yugle to save yourself from having to bother learning to program, I think. Can use that time to buff Nutrition and Study Skills more to prepare for this giant research rush at the end.

I'm actually thinking of moving my research to programming because I have been focusing on the burger jobs and it takes ages to advance later.
Wait, I just realized I can level up the lower jobs a bit so they go faster next time. This game is 2deep4me

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 13, 2017

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The game loving rules but I am not nearly smart enough for it. I'm pretty much just going through entire lives focusing on leveling one or two skills or jobs and then "feeling out" what makes sense for the next life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I kind of got bored with the game because progression slows way the gently caress down once you hit like Senior Scientist and gently caress if I wanna redo all that poo poo with the uber-reset.