Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I feel bad for some prequel actors like Hayden who probably get poo poo on daily for what he was thrust into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'd like to hear more about this part.
It's hard not to mentally fill in the gaps when you've seen the entire series a zillion times, but I found there was no less continuity between the two films than between, say, Thunderdome and Fury Road.

Since the Death Star was destroyed, they're building another, and the Emperor is taking an active role. The Rebellion is either winning or has at least forced his hand.

Luke went off and became a powerful Jedi warrior, which is later explained by the appearance of his mysterious moribund master, Yoda. (It reminds me of the opening scene in The Five Deadly Venoms.) Yoda is encouraging Luke to "confront" the Emperor. Luke has sussed out that Darth Vader is his father, not his father's "friend," and of course! That makes total sense!

Yoda's warnings about rushing to face Vader and about embracing the Dark Side refer to the events of Episode I, and foreshadow Luke losing control in his duel with Vader--not to mention his downright genial attitude towards carving his way through Jabba's minions. Yoda encourages his spiritual side, whereas the ghostly Kenobi wants him to be a crusader.

Han got captured by the mob boss he's been running from since the moment he was introduced in the first film, and Jabba turned him into a paperweight. Neat. (And this can be read as a direct consequence of his decision to help the Rebellion instead of taking the money and running.) He and Leia are in love now because of course.

Leia has gone from being a high-class spy to a hardcore guerilla fighter. Jabba enslaving her is like he's taking away what she's earned--like, "you were never more than a pretty face." This is more abrupt for the lack of Episode V.

That's all I got for right now.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Samuel L. Jackson wants in on more SW? Hell yeah, bring him on!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Billy Dee Williams was a fan of TXH1138? A true hipster Star Wars fan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IronSaber posted:

Samuel L. Jackson wants in on more SW? Hell yeah, bring him on!

I want him to record Jedi Holocrons.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Of course Mark Hamill, one of the most wonderful people to listen to, has a broken mic.

They got Harrison there? That's nice.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 13, 2017

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Wow. Didn't think Harrison was gonna show up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

homullus posted:

Obi-Wan went into hiding for years and was happy to pull out his lazer sword to dismember a guy; he never gave up being a warrior. I hope you're right about the next movie! I don't think it's a given, though, since he could have gone into hiding to distance himself from others, rather than from violence.

The rumor for a while was that at some point after Rey and Luke meet up (in case it's true) The Knights of Ren track them down but then Luke just completely destroys them with like a full telekinesis/lightsaber/disorientation/like total all encompassing force asskicking in every possible way.. I'd be down with that.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

"I love you, but I wouldn't wait out front".

I love the dry grumpy humour of Harrison Ford.

(oh he just dropped a nice Last Crusade reference. The grump is on fire!)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hansen85 posted:

Wow. Didn't think Harrison was gonna show up.

Well he's laying low while the FAA is considering a lifetime ban for him from flying planes or whatever, so it's not like he's busy.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well he's laying low while the FAA is considering a lifetime ban for him from flying planes or whatever, so it's not like he's busy.

United should hire him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ford actually has a great dry sense of humor but it rarely translates well in his interactions with the media.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Oh man, Carrie tribute segue way into J. Williams conducting Princess Leia theme!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

That was a wonderful tribute to Carrie. I'm trying not to sob out loud at work.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I think Rian Johnson said it opens right where TFA ends at the hand off.

I really want to see Luke throw that lightsaber into the ocean in the first 30 seconds of the movie.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dublish posted:

I really want to see Luke throw that lightsaber into the ocean in the first 30 seconds of the movie.

I want to see him pretend he is brain damaged, the way Yoda did to him.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

dublish posted:

"What? Oh THIS thing."

*Luke spins around and just hurls it off the cliff behind him*

"Now what can I do for you?"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Watching the tribute now. Very moving, very well done.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Warwick Davis completely burning Harrison Ford was the best part of that panel. Also Lucas's continued criticism of Star Wars fans.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
anybody worried that we have 0 promotional material regarding Ep. 8 only 8 months from release

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

anybody worried that we have 0 promotional material regarding Ep. 8 only 8 months from release

The big panel for The Last Jedi is tomorrow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phi230 posted:

No?

Disney has other films slated to make hundreds of millions to come out before their billion dollar buffet.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Phi230 posted:

I think they're just worried about oversaturating SW marketing - home release of Rogue One wasn't that long ago

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crusader posted:

I think they're just worried about oversaturating SW marketing - home release of Rogue One wasn't that long ago

It really doesn't seem like that's something they're worried about at all. If this is them worried about oversaturation then wow, I wonder what would happen if they weren't.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So trailer tomorrow?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My uncle who works at Nintendo who has a friend at Disney who has a cousin who works at Lucasfilm says yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm actually Rian Johnson, and yes there will be a trailer tomorrow. Also Luke dies 20 minutes into the movie. Enjoy!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm actually Rian Johnson, and yes there will be a trailer tomorrow. Also Luke dies 20 minutes into the movie. Enjoy!

Rey cuts off Luke's head with his lightsaber then makes out with Kylo Ren.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thanks for the boner

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Ian McDiarmid is a wonderful human being.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

IronSaber posted:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IronSaber posted:

My hot take is that him and Ewan McGregor are the best parts of the entire PT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

My hot take is that him and Ewan McGregor are the best parts of the entire PT.

The Battle Droids are pretty great, too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

IronSaber posted:

He is a god drat legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HtfSuazG70

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

roger roger

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Also, Ray Park is awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hayden doesn't look like he's aged a day since ROTS.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

teagone posted:

Hayden doesn't look like he's aged a day since ROTS.

Which of these actors played the other's father? The answer may surprise you! :laugh:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anybody worried that the new movie will be like the prequels considering the director is a prequel fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I... don't think that's much of a concern in here.

• Locked thread