Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The current one is bad because of them trying to have everything at once with the split in consoles with noticible differences and still forcing people to make games that will run on both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I love fast paced shooters and last gen was hell for me. When I close my eyes I still remember all the cutscenes, forced slow walking sections, on-rails sections, turret sequences, 2 weapon limit, identical enemy types, constantly waiting for NPCs to open doors for me......... :smithicide:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

I love fast paced shooters and last gen was hell for me. When I close my eyes I still remember all the cutscenes, forced slow walking sections, on-rails sections, turret sequences, 2 weapon limit, identical enemy types, constantly waiting for NPCs to open doors for me......... :smithicide:

I still like Bulletstorm but going back to it after Doom and Titanfall is like "Why can't I JUUUUMP?"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I liked de Blob, the Mario Galaxy games, and No More Heroes

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

I thought Heavy Rain was good :shrug:

Fahrenheit was pretty good when it was a murder cover-up simulator.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
When do we get one of those, by the way?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GUI posted:

It's okay, things have changed. Now the biggest, most popular FPS in the world has a ONE weapon limit! :haw: :suicide:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Kins posted:

It's okay, things have changed. Now the biggest, most popular FPS in the world has a ONE weapon limit! :haw: :suicide:

What the gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vanquish came out on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

What the gently caress

I assume they mean Overwatch though that's a little different.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
one day I'll go back and finish Vanquish and Binary Domain :sigh:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Monkey Fracas posted:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like there were a lot more weird/interesting games around before the 360/PS3/Wii era- games industry becoming more risk-averse during this time period? Indie games have kinda filled in that niche now though.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention or something

The 360/PS3 was when smaller, cheaper downloadable titles became a thing. It's probably the time when the most weird and interesting games started happening because they no longer had to justify being a $50 retail product.

The last gen was probably my favorite ever just for the sheer variety, so many dead or niche genres like adventure games and WRPGs and stealth games not only came back but became some of the biggest and most popular titles and are still going strong and influencing completely different genres. Especially compared to the 8- and 16- bit genres when everything was either a side-scolling platformer/shooter/fighting game or a top-down JRPG/adventure game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just saying that in that generation alone we had: The Assassin's Creed franchise, most of the Arkham franchise, Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, the entire Bioshock franchise, Demon's Souls and the first two Dark Souls, both Mario Galaxy games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, both of the 'big' Elder Scrolls games, the entire Fallout revival, the entire Gears of War franchise, two Grand Theft Auto titles and Red Dead Redemption, the Uncharted franchise, The Last of Us, Little Big Planet, Borderlands, the entire Mass Effect franchise, the entire Left 4 dead franchise, Dishonored, the entire Dead Space franchise, Portal and Portal 2, X-COM, the entire Dead Rising franchise, Metal Gear Solid IV, it was the start of the major Indie revolution so stuff like Briad and Fez and Journey, and a little game called Minecraft which a lot of people seemed kind of okay with

And that's discounting the tons of niche/mildly successful but still interesting titles like no fewer than 7 Atelier titles, Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Graces/Vesperia/etc, Trails of Cold Steel, Mirror's Edge, the Witcher 2 (which is probably bigger these days thanks to W3), Hotline Miami, Telltale Games basically got their real start there... I mean you get the idea.

I totally can understand it not being as exciting as the PS2 era, especially if you're a big JRPG dork like I am, but it was kind of an insane generation.

As someone who only likes Nintendo games and JRPGs that list is largely a living nightmare

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I assume they mean Overwatch though that's a little different.

surely counterstrike still pulls in numbers that would leave overwatch pale

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

What is everyone playing today? I started a new game of P3 Portable last night to get my Persona fix while my wife was using the PS4. Then I woke up today and she was watching an anime about a cute ninja girl helping Nobunaga take over Japan

I'm drowning in anime

I am playing the competent adult who knows what they're doing at their job game but it's not going well!

I just wanna go to the gym and then play zelda afterwards as I fall asleep with the Switch in my arms, like a baby that I will accidentally crush.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the late 2000s + early 2010s were a great generation for consoles in terms of competition and exclusives that anybody would want. While there are unquestionably a lot of great games out there right now, most of the mainstream market has been gobbled up almost entirely by the PS4 and whatever people decide to port from the PS4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
2017 is the best year to be a gamer, until 2018, which will be the new best year to be a gamer

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

precision posted:

What is everyone playing today? I started a new game of P3 Portable last night to get my Persona fix while my wife was using the PS4. Then I woke up today and she was watching an anime about a cute ninja girl helping Nobunaga take over Japan

I'm drowning in anime

I'm trying to get back into Tales of Zestiria after taking around a month break to play other games - including the fantastic Hollow Knight - but it's so boring. Steam says I've got almost 16 hours in and I still have no idea what the main plot is supposed to be - go around a purify places? - and I've heard so much about this Tales Of combat that's supposedly very action packed but it turned out to be very repetitive. I've heard that it wasn't a very good game before but this was from the anime hating crowd so I decided to try it anyway and while the skits and character interactions haven't put me off - they're actually the best part so far - the entire thing ends up being a waste of time.

I'm considering just dumping this and beginning The Witcher 3 which I've bought during the last sale. The only reason I haven't yet is because if I stop now I'm sure I won't ever pick up this game again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zestiria is not a good Tales game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zestiria isn't that good of a Tales game at all.

Try Berseria if you can.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

I'm drowning in anime

I'm probably going to beat Persona 5 tonight though I suppose it depends on if the final dungeon is as long and hard as the previous one. That poo poo was grueling but I loved it. What a great game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed Tales of Xillia of the more recent Tales games I've tried

I just killed a spider that I'm paranoid was a Brown Recluse :ohdear:

I don't mind spiders in general but I don't wanna die

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I completely forgot that I bought Tales of Berseria on sale a month or so ago. Too many video games came out!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

precision posted:

I just killed a spider that I'm paranoid was a Brown Recluse :ohdear:

I don't mind spiders in general but I don't wanna die

Brown Recluses don't kill and you'd have to really try to get them to bite you. Their bite is nasty as hell on paper but it's not that bad unless you're unlucky and even then it's not fatal.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

this is peak nintendo

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/852591341146001409

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think the bigger news story would be that people still wanted that thing.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

they're still impossible to find and sell out within minutes whenever anywhere gets stock so who knows! nintendo!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can't believe they're discontinuing a plug and play system because they sold out of every single box immediately and then had no intentions of making more of them. Nintendo is doomed yet again.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They probably should have made more, imo.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nintendo's third pillar crumbles yet again, jfc these kooky japan suits can't do anything right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

With how successful the NES Mini was, why hasn't Sega made a Little Genesis with a bunch of Sonic games/Gunstar Heroes etc

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

With how successful the NES Mini was, why hasn't Sega made a Little Genesis with a bunch of Sonic games/Gunstar Heroes etc

They've been making them for years and you can even play Genesis carts in them.

They're trash, though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hahaha these things sell out the morning stores open with them in stock.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDjmFqEwwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrxYChbu28

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Help Im Alive posted:

they have, but they're terrible and nobody cares about old genesis games anymore

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

But in good music for games news, a company has remastered the music to the classic Ninja Gaiden games.

http://store.bravewave.net/album/ninja-gaiden-the-definitive-soundtrack-vol-1-2

I mean it still sounds like NES music but it's real nice.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Fhew, I was thinking about giving away the NES Classic I scooped on amazon prime a few weeks ago but I forgot about it and now I'm kinda glad my selfish instincts kicked in. More plastics to surround myself with and eventually be entombed with like an Egyptian pharaoh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Got a ways into today's mini-metro challenge before realizing it was in extreme mode and I couldn't ever move anything I'd placed. :negative:

It's the first time I've ever placed below the top 35%. Bottom 25%

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

NES Classic really isn't that amazing, now a SNES Classic on the other hand with like 30 great games like Mega Man Xs, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, etc that would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

MinibarMatchman posted:

NES Classic really isn't that amazing, now a SNES Classic on the other hand with like 30 great games like Mega Man Xs, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, etc that would be great

My parents haven't played games since the NES and I was hoping to give them a way to play the games they enjoyed that would work on modern TVs and boot up more than once every 20 tries

• Locked thread