Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

A quick heads up for anyone with WSUS: you might not be able to sync with Microsoft Update right now if you have the Upgrades classification selected. Turning it off makes syncing function again. It must have something to do with the Creator's Update.

I see they didn't learn their lesson after the Anniversary Update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I checked and saw that it'd been failing, so I unchecked Upgrades, ran a sync, gave it a bit, rechecked Upgrades, ran it again, and it succeeded. :iiam:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks for the input everyone, yeah I had no illusion that any form of DFS could work here.

I will check out PeerLink, thanks for that tip! I also found this one https://www.goodsync.com/ which looks like it could fill the need perfectly.

We do have EMC stuff available but this is a really specific use case and purpose and it just won't work here, already checked into that. Unfortunate, but I gotta figure out how to fit a solution into these constraints. I'm hopeful that either of those two above software solutions will work!

Peerlink is an unwieldy piece of trash. I know someone else reccomended it, but words cannot express how much I hate it. If you're expecting it to replace DFS you are going to be disappointed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just for the record, I didn't recommend it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Finally.

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2017/04/12/administrative-templates-for-windows-10-creators-update-now-available/

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Had a Microsoft Sales Rep meeting not long ago (prior to the release of Creators Update.) One of the issues I raised was the need to constantly monitor, modify and upgrade the organization's Group Policy system every time a major Windows 10 update comes out. I had asked what Microsoft's plans were to address this or at least make it more seamless/sensible. All I received in return were some shrugs, a response of "I'll ask our engineers", followed by no actual answers. My opinion? If you're in an organization that relies heavily on Group Policy for managing Windows, you might as well hire a person dedicated solely to managing it (even if Microsoft does recommend using Provisioning instead of Group Policy.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah it sucks balls. I hate it.

Same with updating SCCM all the loving time for a new build of Windows 10. Latest SCCM doesn't even support 2008 R2 as a server, even though EOL is not for another 3 years.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GreenNight posted:

Latest SCCM doesn't even support 2008 R2 as a server, even though EOL is not for another 3 years.

im sorry, what?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I too am distraught over Microsoft not supporting their fourth most recently released server OS in one specific product.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

im sorry, what?

I don't think that's true, we're on whatever v1600 number the latest CB is and supporting 2008 R2 just fine. Unless I misunderstood that post.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I think their post meant that you can't install SCCM on 2008R2, and I'd believe that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FISHMANPET posted:

I too am distraught over Microsoft not supporting their fourth most recently released server OS in one specific product.

it was more, "Hey if this is true, goddamn it wasn't communicated"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I think their post meant that you can't install SCCM on 2008R2, and I'd believe that.

Ohh, yes, that definitely makes sense, why would​ you build a new server on 2008 R2 anyways?!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ohh, yes, that definitely makes sense, why would​ you build a new server on 2008 R2 anyways?!

No, but if your current install is on 2008 R2 and all you want to do is update to 1703, you can't.

That's what I'm annoyed about.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Can you have concurrent WSUS and SCCM instances on a domain?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes.

This is a bit oversimplified, but SCCM is just a big management panel for a bunch of tools that were boxed together and / or that you can bring in yourself. SCCM thus has WSUS integration, which really just means that SCCM can manage a WSUS server.

You're going to need wsus on your network. Once wsus is built, you can direct endpoints to it with gpos or the CM client, so pick one.

Managing how endpoints seek patches with sccm has some big helpful features over doing so with gpos. For starters, it's easier to track / report on which system did what and when with a little upfront work in sccm. Second, you can approve/deny patches on multiple wsus servers from sccm's interface, simplifying your life a bit.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 13, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Does that make sense? You can have any number of wsus servers. It's up to you to tell each client in your environment which wsus server to use.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, so if you want 1703 but your SCCM server is 2008R2, you can just put the WSUS role on one of your 2012R2 servers and point your Windows 10 boxes to that WSUS server.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of patching, does anyone use ManageEngine for server patching? The desktop team uses it for, well, desktops, and we're considering it for servers; we need something with a bit more granularity and reporting capability than WSUS. If yes what is good/bad about it?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Yes.

This is a bit oversimplified, but SCCM is just a big management panel for a bunch of tools that were boxed together and / or that you can bring in yourself. SCCM thus has WSUS integration, which really just means that SCCM can manage a WSUS server.

You're going to need wsus on your network. Once wsus is built, you can direct endpoints to it with gpos or the CM client, so pick one.

Managing how endpoints seek patches with sccm has some big helpful features over doing so with gpos. For starters, it's easier to track / report on which system did what and when with a little upfront work in sccm. Second, you can approve/deny patches on multiple wsus servers from sccm's interface, simplifying your life a bit.

Ugh! I hate this interpretation. SCCM leverages some features of WSUS but PLEASE do not try to use WSUS and SCCM in your environment. That's a recipe for heartache. The WSUS server used by the SCCM Software Update Point should never be manipulated by a human as it is intended to only be a slave of SCCM. If you go in and Approve Updates as you would normally do in WSUS you will be very unhappy with the behavior if you expect SCCM to control things as well. In fact pretend that WSUS isn't even there. It's a prerequisite and little more.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Errr, yes, sorry. I do not actually log into wsus anymore.

Sorry for the poor choice of description / phrasing. I've been handling ancient oracle EBS fuckery with Tape Backup For No Good Reason Client, and go-to oracle man is not available. I am currently speaking English on a new second language basis.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 13, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have SCCM and WSUS, but we don't have them connected, at all.

We use SCCM for imaging and AV, nothing else.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

GreenNight posted:

We have SCCM and WSUS, but we don't have them connected, at all.

We use SCCM for imaging and AV, nothing else.

so you have SCCM installed and clients deployed but you're using WSUS separately for patching? I'm confused because this sounds entirely backwards from every single experience I've had with SCCM implementations on my own and with customers. Patching is pretty much the first priority in every case (once, the customer really really needed software inventory and patching was secondary to that).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

poo poo yeah. We even have Shavlik for 3rd party patching and PDQ Inventory for inventory!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

poo poo yeah. We even have Shavlik for 3rd party patching and PDQ Inventory for inventory!
What the gently caress

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

GreenNight posted:

please stop hurting my brain

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can get using PDQ in smb or even enterprise but you're lax on validation. Those environments don't really scream SCCM to be though.

SCCM for only SCEP and imaging sounds...expensive.

Wait, PDQ inventory but not PDQ deploy, another deployment system....

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 13, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you have those kind of dollars to throw at AV, don't fool around in the SCEP kiddie pool. Get yourself a Palo Alto solution and actually protect your poo poo.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

I can get using PDQ in smb or even enterprise but you're lax on validation. Those environments don't really scream SCCM to be though.

SCCM for inventory only sounds...expensive.

Wait, PDQ inventory but not PDQ deploy, another deployment system....

In the case where it was their top priority, they were planning to replace a bunch of stuff with SCCM but they had an immediate software Inventory/licensing need that build the entire business case for deploying SCCM. One of those odd cases where IT knew what they wanted and the tool they wanted they just had to justify it with one of their (actual) secondary priorities. That was an interesting project from a SoW/Milestone vs actual expecations standpoint.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SCCM comes with our enterprise licensing. We paid for the other tools, not specifically for SCCM. So it was basically "free" for us. We got rid of Zenworks and Sopho's when we put in SCCM.

I'm not joking when I tell you we only use it for imaging and AV. We have no deployment packages in it, no updates, no inventory, nothing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also if you are on v1507 of Windows 10 and not Enterprise, welp..

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/windows-10-version-1507-servicing-scheduled-end-09-may-2017

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

anthonypants posted:

Okay, so if you want 1703 but your SCCM server is 2008R2, you can just put the WSUS role on one of your 2012R2 servers and point your Windows 10 boxes to that WSUS server.

No, your site server can't be 2008 R2 and I'd imagine none of your site systems can be 2008 R2 either. It's not a WSUS thing, it's the whole suite.

You can still support 2008 R2 and even 2008 vanilla clients with 1702, you just can't use them as site systems.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

FISHMANPET posted:

No, your site server can't be 2008 R2 and I'd imagine none of your site systems can be 2008 R2 either. It's not a WSUS thing, it's the whole suite.

You can still support 2008 R2 and even 2008 vanilla clients with 1702, you just can't use them as site systems.

We're on 1610 and have a whole whack of 2008 R2 Distribution Points. I can't speak to other site system roles, but being a DP works fine.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

We started our Windows 10 upgrade at v1511 thankfully due to all the initial problems with v1507. I'm just about to push through v1607 next week and I'm holding my breath that my successful deployment tests were a positive omen for the rest of the fleet...

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

FISHMANPET posted:

I think 2008 R2 is still supported as a distribution point and one other thing but yeah, pretty much nothing else.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Had a Microsoft Sales Rep meeting not long ago (prior to the release of Creators Update.) One of the issues I raised was the need to constantly monitor, modify and upgrade the organization's Group Policy system every time a major Windows 10 update comes out. I had asked what Microsoft's plans were to address this or at least make it more seamless/sensible. All I received in return were some shrugs, a response of "I'll ask our engineers", followed by no actual answers. My opinion? If you're in an organization that relies heavily on Group Policy for managing Windows, you might as well hire a person dedicated solely to managing it (even if Microsoft does recommend using Provisioning instead of Group Policy.)

As far as microsoft is concerned, I think group policy is dead. Their vision is a generic OS with application and security settings handled by intune.

But yeah, the same registry settings do different things from one update to the other. It can be maddening. And there's not clear visibility and documentation to the same extent there was in windows 7, but that may just be a matter of maturity.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As far as microsoft is concerned, I think group policy is dead. Their vision is a generic OS with application and security settings handled by intune.

But yeah, the same registry settings do different things from one update to the other. It can be maddening. And there's not clear visibility and documentation to the same extent there was in windows 7, but that may just be a matter of maturity.

Umm what? This seems like a really bizarre statement to make. Isn't it more likely that teams are not talking to each other effectively and updates are causing group policy bugs and less likely that Microsoft is abandoning group policy?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

..... Isn't it more likely that teams are not talking to each other effectively and updates are causing group policy bugs and less likely that Microsoft is abandoning group policy?

You're assuming those teams even still exist after all the layoffs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stevewm posted:

You're assuming those teams even still exist after all the layoffs.

Lets assume nobody at Microsoft is working on group policy anymore. That seems more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sickening posted:

Umm what? This seems like a really bizarre statement to make. Isn't it more likely that teams are not talking to each other effectively and updates are causing group policy bugs and less likely that Microsoft is abandoning group policy?

Just the impression I've been getting lately from what the sales engineers are focusing on, I don't think it's an official position or anything. But if they're redirecting resources to the point that they're not maintaining the product it's effectively the same thing.