Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Never forget the holy words of Jocephus the Younger: "Thin your loving paints."

Also, build a wet palette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I never used to thin my paints when I was a teenager, and I remember my gloppy space marines with some amount of shame. Why build a wet palette? I'm likely going to be painting individual models rather than units of similar models. Are they still useful for smaller scale, shorter time table work?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

NeurosisHead posted:

I never used to thin my paints when I was a teenager, and I remember my gloppy space marines with some amount of shame. Why build a wet palette? I'm likely going to be painting individual models rather than units of similar models. Are they still useful for smaller scale, shorter time table work?

Thin your paints first. Once you learn how to do that, move onto a wet palette if you feel the need to. It's not a requirement, and depends on your painting style (and yes, speed.)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I struggled with thinning paints, and i didnt mix many paints until I got a wet palette.

It should cost you like 3 dollars (cost of baking parchment from grocery store). I really think they are very helpful in keeping the consistency of your paints from fluctuating as you paint.

Edit: if you don't end up liking it, you can use the parchment to produced baked goods... it is a win/win.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 13, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NeurosisHead posted:

I'm finally getting back into painting mini's. I haven't done so for nearly 20 years now. What's the biggest piece of advice you guys would give someone returning to this incredibly fun and frustrating hobby?

Watch Duncan's videos on Warhammer TV and thin your paints.

Always thin your paints! More than you think! Use two thin coats and build up color; if you try to get a nice strong coat of color in a single layer; you're globbing the paint and it'll look bad.

NeurosisHead posted:

Wet palette is IMO a must. Without it your paints dry so loving fast its really hard to maintain their consistency while painting. (Yes, even on small scale work)

I got a wet palette and didn't think it was a big deal, then tried going back to my old porcelain palette and HOLY poo poo its soooo much harder to paint that way.

Basically with a non-wet palette you have to keep adding water and adding pigment as the paints dry out. With a wet palette you add some paint, add some water to thin it, and then you can just paint with that until you've used it all. It says the same consistency for hours.

I personally do not like painting units at once because it makes me rush. I paint models one at a time. And yeah, I still use a wet palette.

Other key advise:

Do not hold a model directly when painting. Find some fist-sized chunk of something and tape your model to it. Hold that thing, not the model. The added bulk will help your hands rest and you won't shake the model as much while you're doing fine detail painting.

Also rest your arms on some kind of table and paint with your hands, this also helps with shaky hands.

Paint with some kind of a spot light on your desk, ideally also a magnifying glass.

Don't be afraid to switch paint brushes frequently. Use the right brush for the right job. If you use a small brush to paint a lot of area, you'll get tired and start rushing and it'll look bad. But if you use a big brush for painting a small area, you'll screw up and you'll end up painting the neighboring areas on accident.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 13, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd say the brown wasteland style would be perfect, actually.

Guess I'll have to buy some texture and dry paints then.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
This is good playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

My number 1 item of advice would be to not base your painting tech on people who are too good. That's like diving into traditional painting by starting to paint like Caravaggio. Faust is basically the miniature painting Bob Ross: simple clean style that's easy to pick up, lots of flexible and easy options for getting good results, extremely calm and soothing voice.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't know where I'm going with this but I needed to paint some dudes to clear my ship-painting fatigue.

Note that when I'm not doing my brightly colored ship gimmick, the results are much worse. Probably been about a month since I did some solid hours at painting and the blending goes to poo poo lol. Hopefully, it'll end up looking like a cel-shaded video game boss. That's how I viewed 40k and it seems like that was what OG 40k was anyway. I mean you had the scrunt with GIMME DANGER written on his space hoverboard. The grim dark style got really boring.

The nice thing is that apparently saddle brown boots painted to off-white cream looks like a chocolate bar.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, it's probably been about three years since I painted last, up until last week. I've been buying a lot of cheap minis and I wanted to give them all an unified palette to have a consistent look on the table for when I bust em out for D&D and stuff.

I decided to try greyscale and experiment on some kobolds to get the ball rolling. I'm pretty happy with the results.

What do you guys think?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 14, 2017

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Holy filesize there.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

darnon posted:

Holy filesize there.

Oh. Uh. Just camera pics. Does Imgur have a "murder this file" option? I just uploaded the poo poo that was on my phone

E: or I'll check for table breakage in a sec. on my phone currently.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh. Uh. Just camera pics. Does Imgur have a "murder this file" option? I just uploaded the poo poo that was on my phone

Use timg instead of img in the BBcode.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Pvt.Scott posted:

you can change the img tags to timg tags to thumbnail them.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Stupid fragile tables.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Use timg instead of img in the BBcode.

Or add "l" to the filename, like this:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ok, but how horrible is the paint job?

E:apparently I should try wax paper. I currently just use a plastic pallet thingy with little wells in it.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 15, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Ok, but how horrible is the paint job?
For what? It's decent, gaming-quality. Or if you wanna use them as statues or something. If it's supposed to be an exercise in black and white, I'd say work on differentiating the surfaces more (specifically how skin/cloth/metal reflect light differently). Some OSL on those red eyes would work wonders too.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 15, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Horace-Noah posted:

Duuuuuuude, this is looking killer!

That's really pretty.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pierzak posted:

For what? It's decent, gaming-quality. Or if you wanna use them as statues or something. If it's supposed to be an exercise in black and white, I'd say work on differentiating the surfaces more (specifically how skin/cloth/metal reflect light differently). Some OSL on those red eyes would work wonders too.

Yeah. Mostly just using them for gaming. Aiming for higher quality on PC and big monsters, but little grunt swarms can be meh. I think there's another 15 or so kobolds.

I'll check out the OSL stuff, as that's going to come up pretty often with torches, lanterns, magic swords and casters with spell effects.

Would you suggest sitting down with some b&w photos as reference next time? I just kinda eyeballed them. Any good references and tutorials you might recommend on OSL and or B&W?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
This tutorial on black and white armour by Ben Komets is pretty good; https://youtu.be/Nb_MSdZhyz0

He uses wet blending and glazing to create a NMM armour, but the techniques can be used for anything.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

JackMann posted:

Finally finished basing Sorscha!

Know for the future: When using snow flock, paint the base white first, then use flock. I first had it all painted and drybrushed brown for the dirt, but the flocking was transparent enough that it looked muddy in all the wrong ways. Had to stop, paint it, then reflock. Still looked kind of crap, so I added some vegetation. I think it turned out okay in the end.

It looks great, but the base trim needs to be blank IMO - or maybe super dark blue like Deadly Nightshade.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
When you guys talk about thinning your paints and using wet palettes, do you thin your paint on the wet palette, or in like paint wells or dixie cups or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NeurosisHead posted:

When you guys talk about thinning your paints and using wet palettes, do you thin your paint on the wet palette, or in like paint wells or dixie cups or something?

On the palette, whether wet or dry. You grab a good bit on your brush, a bit more than a normal brush's worth, and plop that on the palette. Then you grab some water, and plop that on the palette, and mix them. Then you paint from that. If its a dry palette, you'll need to plop more water in occasionally as it dries.

Then when you've used that bit up, you can grab a bit more of of the paint from the pot. You don't wanna mix in the pot itself. You could use dixie cups but it would only really make sense if you were doing a MASSIVE amount of painting... and then the paints would dry out inside the dixie cup faster than you could paint with them. Better to just go bit by bit, that's the point of the palette. (that and letting you mix colors if you want)

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d3U-NgjhNQ

Or check out Lord Duncan here at the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bDoIMCSfk

If you paint with paint right out of the pots, it'll always look goopy and thick and awful.

You want to be painting with paint that's so watered and thin that after you paint with it, you can still kinda see the base color under the paint. Like, it almost looks wrong, like you're not using enough paint. That's a good thing. Let the paint dry, and it'll be darker than you thought, and then give it another thin layer on top and let that dry too, and then it'll look nice and dark and rich, but still not goopy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 16, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've been trying to get the hand of proper paint thinning recently as I usually just dry to keep the brush wet or damp and then just go for as small amounts of paint on it. Which probably horribly dumb and kind of a crapshoot in results.
Strange admission, I haven't actually gotten the hang of how to proper pull off that paint onto the palette via the brush without feeling like I smear far too much paint onto the brush. To the point I keep looking at Duncan's videos just to try to get a hang of it. :blush:
Also probably need a better palette and a piece of plasticard as well.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There is no replacement for just doing this stuff over and over and over. You will get the feel of it and it'll fall into place. Duncans videos are fantastic, no matter if you're painting GW stuff or not.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TTerrible posted:

There is no replacement for just doing this stuff over and over and over. You will get the feel of it and it'll fall into place. Duncans videos are fantastic, no matter if you're painting GW stuff or not.

This is good advice.

Also if you're reading this and not thinning your paints, thin your paints

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm thinking of not thinning my paints. Wal-Mart acrylics are already the highest quality on the market, so why mess with perfection?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

I've been trying to get the hand of proper paint thinning recently as I usually just dry to keep the brush wet or damp and then just go for as small amounts of paint on it. Which probably horribly dumb and kind of a crapshoot in results.
Strange admission, I haven't actually gotten the hang of how to proper pull off that paint onto the palette via the brush without feeling like I smear far too much paint onto the brush. To the point I keep looking at Duncan's videos just to try to get a hang of it. :blush:
Also probably need a better palette and a piece of plasticard as well.

Honestly globbing the paint onto the palette is fine, as long as you get a proper mix with water. The thing is after the paint gets watered down, then you can wash your brush, clean it (on a paper towel or something) and then just grab a bit of that mixed watered down paint on your brush.

Then if you wanna be real fancy, you do the Duncan trick and you kinda wrap/fling the brush against the palette in a rolling motion as you pick it up, in order to clean off excess paint and give you a nice tip. I'm just now getting the hang of doing that technique and its pretty handy.

The difference between pros and amateurs really is just time. Just take your time. Duncan can knock poo poo out the first time, perfectly, without having to touch anything up, but for us mere mortals you can achieve the same results if you just really take your time and be patient. Don't rush. Thin your paints, check your brush to make sure it isn't over-loaded with paint every time you re-load from the palette, and always use the right size brush (not too big OR too small) for the job at hand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Here's an even better video on how to thin your paints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EogxYu8dgzY

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm going to pick up a couple of rattle cans and a box of some minis of some sort to practice with tomorrow. It's interesting to see all of these instructional videos for technique, my brain is still kind of stuck in the early to mid 90's thought process about this hobby.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minis thread, i need your help.

I've just spent the last hour or so, searching for a miniature that fits the idea of a male fairy. Or, at the very least, being near naked/half or lightly clothed and NOT built like a brick poo poo house.
I need one - for reasons!
The closest I've found is one of the survivors you get in the base game of Kingdom Death and you can't get them on their own, from what I've seen. Even then, I'd need to find wings for converting.

If anyone has a suggestion, that would be much appreciated =)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Reaper makes a set of fairy wings for exactly this purpose.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those are the ones i saw, yeah. I'm hoping to find a miniature that fits the brief, though, without having to spend more on bits =/

There are decidedly few male figures that aren't hulking he-men and in loose, flowing dress. It's depressing, really.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 16, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Some cross posting, the most effort and complexity I've put in a model yet. Not 100% satisfied with results, but I'll give it a 90%.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ok I've tried thinning my paints more.
https://youtu.be/RigIpVXm2xA

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uroboros posted:

Some cross posting, the most effort and complexity I've put in a model yet. Not 100% satisfied with results, but I'll give it a 90%.

That armor is very fancy but I dunno if I'd really call him fairy-like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

Minis thread, i need your help.

I've just spent the last hour or so, searching for a miniature that fits the idea of a male fairy. Or, at the very least, being near naked/half or lightly clothed and NOT built like a brick poo poo house.
I need one - for reasons!
The closest I've found is one of the survivors you get in the base game of Kingdom Death and you can't get them on their own, from what I've seen. Even then, I'd need to find wings for converting.

If anyone has a suggestion, that would be much appreciated =)

Tough one. I can find some mostly naked angels, but they're going to be ripped because of that hole Romanticized form thing. There's not a ton of skinny naked male miniatures because those aren't really traditionally attractive forms :cheeky: but I admire your goal.

Your best bet is trying to find some kind of elf, male dryad or pan like character. Problem is most elves are going to be wearing robes or leather armor (or plate even) so finding a naked male elf... its tough.

What you need are like some JoJo miniatures, haha. Well, I guess those are pretty ripped too.

You could go for like a Cupid miniature and then swap the wings for fairy wings, but that's going to end up with a very juvenile appearance which probably isn't what you want?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay, I'm looking for a spray that's as close as I can get to the P3 color Molten Bronze. Anyone know of anything? I tried looking at like, Rustoleum metallics and a few other things, but nothing was particularly close for what I'd like. I'm kind of assuming there isn't anything very close but any help would be great.

http://privateerpress.com/content/molten-bronze

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zaphod42 posted:

Tough one. I can find some mostly naked angels, but they're going to be ripped because of that hole Romanticized form thing. There's not a ton of skinny naked male miniatures because those aren't really traditionally attractive forms :cheeky: but I admire your goal.

Your best bet is trying to find some kind of elf, male dryad or pan like character. Problem is most elves are going to be wearing robes or leather armor (or plate even) so finding a naked male elf... its tough.

What you need are like some JoJo miniatures, haha. Well, I guess those are pretty ripped too.

You could go for like a Cupid miniature and then swap the wings for fairy wings, but that's going to end up with a very juvenile appearance which probably isn't what you want?

Yo where do you get naked ripped Jojo minis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Yo where do you get naked ripped Jojo minis?

In my dreams :(