Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Entropic posted:

Easy way to avoid the "you lose" trigger on the next turn -- just cast another Glorious End in response to it! :v:

I'm fairly certian i'm wrong, but shouldn't exiling a spell as it's resolving mean that you stop doing what it says on the rest of it?

This is the first time where there's a card that has text after "End the turn", right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Doing my local group's monthly "get hammered and cube" night. The cubemaster just revealed tonight's prizes, and poo poo is undoubtedly gonna get real.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Glorious End is now my favorite card ever.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

There is definitely a "discard - madness" jund deck somewhere.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Glorious End is now my favorite card ever.

For a period of like 4 years they did a similar effect regularly and then stopped.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 13, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Best Reminder Text In Magic posted:

You don't lose if you've already won.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cauldron Moose posted:

I'm fairly certian i'm wrong, but shouldn't exiling a spell as it's resolving mean that you stop doing what it says on the rest of it?

This is the first time where there's a card that has text after "End the turn", right?

Don't think so. Nothing interrupts the steps of resolution of a spell ability detailed on a card. In fact, all abilities are atomic.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It's probably just a worse version of Ad Nauseam but I want to play Hive Mind + Glorious End combo in modern.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Glorious End is basically a red Fog with upside.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I feel like Noose Constrictor is about to see a lot of play

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
May be a corner case but you can also get someone's fetch land with this. Say they are in the middle of an attack, they want to cast a spell in combat and crack a fetch to do so.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I feel like Noose Constrictor is about to see a lot of play

If you want to blow yourself out against fatal push, yes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

If you want to blow yourself out against fatal push, yes.

You can just get back every card you pitched with the other part of that combo if they're representing it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

uninverted posted:

It's probably just a worse version of Ad Nauseam but I want to play Hive Mind + Glorious End combo in modern.

It's also a worse version of the hive mind decks that used a Pact of the Titan to win.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

it's red-flavored reminder text, that's unbeatable card design

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want them to print a red card at like 1RR that just advances to the next phase of a turn

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

It's flavour text that's could go on a No Fear tshirt and that makes it Very Good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can just get back every card you pitched with the other part of that combo if they're representing it

I feel like there are less risky pump spells available in those colors.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Cauldron Moose posted:

This is why it's a separate clause. Think of the Pact cycle where you lose on your next upkeep if you don't pay the given cost.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Rinkles posted:

This might be in elyv's ghost post

E: yup

Even if it's just once I want to see someone have this out alongside

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want them to print a red card at like 1RR that just advances to the next phase of a turn

It would be a sorcery :lol:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

operation dragon dildos is a go

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Well, get yourself an Enduring Ideal and get to work building a super janky enchantment deck citizen!

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Crazy card, clearly meant to combo with Gideon in standard. Whether or not it ends up being good who can say, they at least nailed the feel of a red mythic spell, something they've struggled with in the past.

Certainly a cool effect for red to have, and I'm sure people will build some janky jeskai brews with this card, Gideon, and Disallow.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Marketing New Brain posted:

Crazy card, clearly meant to combo with Gideon in standard. Whether or not it ends up being good who can say, they at least nailed the feel of a red mythic spell, something they've struggled with in the past.

Certainly a cool effect for red to have, and I'm sure people will build some janky jeskai brews with this card, Gideon, and Disallow.

I didn't think of it this way but this really is the coolest red mythic in years isn't it

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cactrot posted:

It would be a sorcery :lol:

So that's how you get to beginning of combat!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sit on my Facebook posted:

I didn't think of it this way but this really is the coolest red mythic in years isn't it

Searched for red mythics in standard and yeah, this wins hands down.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pontius Pilate posted:

Fuk

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

On the stupid subject of beginning of combat step: When the AP says "combat?" or some derivative of, it is passing priority until the NAP gets priority in the beginning of the combat step, correct? So the NAP is fine saying "sure." immediately followed with "I path your dude [presumably done before attackers are declared because perhaps said dude had an attacking trigger or something]." And this is entirely appropriate rule following, correct, and the AP has left the main phase?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

:vince:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Red's time stop

Absolutely incredible. I want to build a jank-rear end Modern deck that uses this with Sundial of the Infinite.

e: whoops meant to edit this into my previous post

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 13, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ANOTHER beginning of combat question: AP has Surrak, the Hunt Caller on the board. AP says "combat?" If NAP does not want Surrak's ability to trigger, would NAP have to specify "Not yet. At the end of your main phase before beginning of combat step I cast [instant speed removal spell] on Surrak"? Or by NOT AGREEING to the request for "combat?" what is the NAP saying? What is the most correct way for NAP to remove Surrak without giving the AP priority back in the main phase to cast sorcery speed spells?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

:vince:

Edit:

ShaneB posted:

ANOTHER beginning of combat question: AP has Surrak, the Hunt Caller on the board. AP says "combat?" If NAP does not want Surrak's ability to trigger, would NAP have to specify "Not yet. At the end of your main phase before beginning of combat step I cast [instant speed removal spell] on Surrak"? Or by NOT AGREEING to the request for "combat?" what is the NAP saying? What is the most correct way for NAP to remove Surrak without giving the AP priority back in the main phase to cast sorcery speed spells?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think one of the advantages of being AP is that the NAP cannot interrupt that trigger without giving sorcery speed priority back, unless you remove him in one of the non-sorcery speed steps/phases. So draw or upkeep to avoid the trigger and not give AP sorcery speed priority.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 13, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

On the stupid subject of beginning of combat step: When the AP says "combat?" or some derivative of, it is passing priority until the NAP gets priority in the beginning of the combat step, correct? So the NAP is fine saying "sure." immediately followed with "I path your dude [presumably done before attackers are declared because perhaps said dude had an attacking trigger or something]." And this is entirely appropriate rule following, correct, and the AP has left the main phase?

Saying "sure" could be seen as passing priority but I think if it's like, "sure, Path your guy" that's fine.

ShaneB posted:

There's no way to do what you want to do. If you want Surrak not to trigger you have to kill him in the main phase which means they get to do things again.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I'm not a judge but I'm pretty sure you can't remove Surrak without the trigger going on the stack and prevent priority from going back to the AP in their Main Phase. It is one or the other.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ShaneB posted:

Agree so that it goes to declare attackers.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Saying "sure" could be seen as passing priority but I think if it's like, "sure, Path your guy" that's fine.

I figured NAP would have to say "okay BUT before declare attackers I path your creature" because saying simply "path your dude" as a response could be taken as "before we exit the main phase because I didn't say okay when you said 'combat'"?

suicidesteve posted:

There's no way to do what you want to do. If you want Surrak not to trigger you have to kill him in the main phase which means they get to do things again.

Yeah, I kind of realized that the only thing between end of first main and beginning of combat would still allow AP to cast sorcery speed spells.

HOWEVER, in comp REL, if an op has an "at the beginning of your combat step" ability on a card, and they say "combat?" WITHOUT indicating there is a card that uses the "at the beginning of your combat step" with a TARGETED ability (as Surrak's does) that ability is missed, yes?

This seems to indicate something like a Goblin Rabblemaster would not need to be continually acknowledged, but Surrak's would: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2016/10/18/do-not-pass-go/

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Agree so that it goes to declare attackers.

Well I'm trying to avoid Surrak's ability triggering in beginning of combat. So I'd have to remove it in APs main phase.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Well if you kill him in response to the trigger they probably won't have Formidable anymore.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elyv posted:

Well if you kill him in response to the trigger they probably won't have Formidable anymore.

That's a spicy meatball I hadn't considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

• Locked thread