Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

quote:

Westerners don't go to China/Asia for school because they are too lazy and stupid, will fail our much stricter and harder system.

This is their excuse, yes.

The education system here is a lot more busywork/bullshit but I do enjoy most of the students who graduate and get into college sending me "holy poo poo this is so hard!" messages. And I'm just like yeah, I told you, should've believed me. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Grand Fromage posted:

This is their excuse, yes.

The education system here is a lot more busywork/bullshit but I do enjoy most of the students who graduate and get into college sending me "holy poo poo this is so hard!" messages. And I'm just like yeah, I told you, should've believed me. :smugdog:
I've read lots of great Chinese student stories from you and the other ESL edugoons, but what about Chinese teacher stories? Any anecdotes along the lines of "Haha, you give your students so little work, what a weak-- oh poo poo you LOOK at the work and ACTUALLY GRADE IT?"

That's based on my hazy memories of Malaysian primary/secondary school, and how homework was 'graded'.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't pry into their work that much so I don't have good stories. Summarizing, at my school there are three categories of teachers. There are the Chinese school teachers who do their normal classes, then the Chinese teachers in our program, and the non-Chinese teachers.

First category, I have literally no idea what any of them do. My first year there was one who I never saw do anything other than show subtitled anime. I usually see those teachers either doing nothing, or writing on the board while all the students sit around on desks talking or whatever to conspicuously ignore them.

Second category, these teachers are mostly doing TOEFL (the English proficiency exam) prep. It looks super boring and the TOEFL is a pile of hot garbage. My only real interaction here is their writing teacher is constantly teaching them to write badly, which I have to try to correct in my class.

Third is us. Our job is to teach classes that are like what they'll experience in a US school. We're also the only ones who ever seem to do any sort of discipline or have standards. It's also made abundantly clear that our classes are not considered important because we aren't Chinese, though clearly ours are the most important experience and literally the entire reason they spend $$$$$ to attend the school.

We're often told to give more busywork because that's what's expected, and "you don't have to actually grade it" so I just ignore that and continue doing what I'm doing. Busywork is dumb and I don't assign anything if I'm not going to grade it. I'm less sanguine about the entire concept of grading at this point, but it's required and the students have zero self motivation so if I tried not doing it the classes would immediately collapse into worse chaos than they a ready are.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Tupperwarez posted:

I've read lots of great Chinese student stories from you and the other ESL edugoons, but what about Chinese teacher stories? Any anecdotes along the lines of "Haha, you give your students so little work, what a weak-- oh poo poo you LOOK at the work and ACTUALLY GRADE IT?"

That's based on my hazy memories of Malaysian primary/secondary school, and how homework was 'graded'.

The students have no expectation that their homework will be actually graded, and with a few exceptions, they never look at the homework I pass back. Then they're disappointed when they fail the test, and complain about it being to hard. My sophomore physical science students have yet to figure out that I can tell when they copy from the book, and no matter how many zeros I give them they keep on copying. Fleta McGurn has seen junior high school students copy answers off of each other directly in front of the teacher and nobody cares.

I used to think Japanese education was all about rote memorization, but after living in Korea and China I'm amazed at all the opportunities for personal growth and development Japanese schools give their students.

Baronjutter posted:

God drat I'm happy to come from a pretty solidly waspy culture with no guilt or face based expectations to bend over backwards for freeloading relatives I barely know or actively dislike. I'll airbnb or rent an apartment when I visit your country, you can do the same with you visit mine and no one's toes are stepped on that way. I mean unless we actually do get along and feel comfortable hosting each other, that's good. But having the demand or expectation for it isn't good.

Not guilt expectations, shame. The prevalent view in East Asia is that if nobody finds out it's not bad.

bring back old gbs posted:

what happens when u bring up the fact that western educations are so coveted, while nobody from the west ever sends their children to be schooled in china?

Chinese people, in my experience, are generally OK with this. Know nothing Americans and Canadians will rant about PISA scores. Oh, like Fojar says, Chinese nationalists in the west will also rant about PISA scores, and then shut down when you point out how China cheats the test.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Boss's Daughter: "Why do people always take the photo of the food? It is stupid."
Me: "Because people in China always ask 'what are you doing?', and it's easier to show them the food instead of writing it or talking about it. Some people just want to brag."
Her: "Ok, but it is stupid."

*The next day*
Her: "I ate pizza at the restaurant. Do you want to see the photo?"
Me: "Alright."
*Shows me a photo of multiple empty plates, all the food has been eaten*
Me: "There's no food. I don't know what you ate."
Her: "I don't know how to say in English."
Me: "So why take a photo of empty plates?"
Her: "Because you said people take a photo so they don't need to say the food."

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
now try explaining to her why you send pictures of your dick to strangers on wechat

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is she hinting for you to empty her plates or sommat

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

LentThem posted:

now try explaining to her why you send pictures of your dick to strangers on wechat

no why, man....no loving why

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
She's 11. You guys are gross.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Guess there are some lines even you won't cross.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There needs to be hair on the cave before Haier goes spelunking.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
a young asian girl that doesn't take pictures of all her food? Is she retarded or doesn't have fingers or something?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a former student who is always sharing pictures of the weird cocktails she drinks at home on WeChat. She is 16 and got in trouble once for drinking beer in class. She thought she'd be clever and get Korean beer so no one would notice (except all her teachers lived in Korea and know what Cass is). Today was red wine and Sprite.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a former student who is always sharing pictures of the weird cocktails she drinks at home on WeChat. She is 16 and got in trouble once for drinking beer in class. She thought she'd be clever and get Korean beer so no one would notice (except all her teachers lived in Korea and know what Cass is). Today was red wine and Sprite.

Cola-free Kalimotxo. How multi-cultural.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/852283171546816512

US gov’t and other sources say #DPRK has apparently placed a nuclear device in a tunnel and it could be detonated Saturday AM #Korea time.

LOL. Saturday being their big celebration of Kim Il-Sung. 600,000 Koreans along with hundreds of foreign reporters are apparently being forced to evacuate Pyongyang right now.
I am curious how China will propagandize any sort of US-Korea-NATO VS North Korea situation (except the usual hurt feelings and China being the main victim out of all of it).

As usual when it comes to crazy women in my life, when it comes to high anti-foreigner tensions in China, I am glad all the stuff I own fits into two suitcases and Hong Kong is a 20 minute car ride away, or both HKIA and SZ airports are close enough for easy flights to Bangkok.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sichuan people are too lazy to form lynch mobs. It'd interrupt the mahjongg.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan people are too lazy to form lynch mobs. It'd interrupt the mahjongg.

Again, I'm pretty sure I live in some sort of bizzaro Chengdu, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone playing mahjong, it's been months at least.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Again, I'm pretty sure I live in some sort of bizzaro Chengdu, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone playing mahjong, it's been months at least.

I literally cannot think of a day I've been outside and did not see mahjong. I assume it's happened but my walk home from the closest bus stop or subway line, I pass at least three or four games outside unless it's raining. But on those days the two mahjong parlors on my side of the block (the entire block has... five or six?) will be packed.

Since "sit around playing mahjong all day" is like the #1 Sichuan stereotype that I hear from Sichuan people I have no idea how you're in this alternate universe.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I live near the Tibetan area, I guess those guys don't play? The teahouses round here are mostly on the second floor of buildings or have their curtains closed if they're on the first floor so you can't see if anyone inside is playing. Now the weathers nice people might start playing outside around here. I do see people playing doudizhu all the time though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I unironically like the sichuan style of funeral they have here where they just go outside, bring a bunch of alcohol and majiang tables, and eat BBQ, drink, and gamble for like a whole day with the deceased's pic hung up somewhere.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LOL

My boss: "So you say on your Wechat that the man on the United airplane was not Chinese, but Vietnam and lived in America."
Me: "Yeah, he's not Chinese."
Boss: "I am going to look into this."
*10 minutes later*
Boss: "You're right, he's not Chinese. I don't know why China news is telling he is Chinese."
Me: "People like to get upset?"
Boss: "It's so stupid. I think Chinese wouldn't care about this."

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
We just bought Xiao Fangpi a new car and bribed a license for him. He will be so popular.

http://i.imgur.com/RyxQArF.gifv

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haier posted:

Boss's Daughter: "Why do people always take the photo of the food? It is stupid."
Me: "Because people in China always ask 'what are you doing?', and it's easier to show them the food instead of writing it or talking about it. Some people just want to brag."
Her: "Ok, but it is stupid."

*The next day*
Her: "I ate pizza at the restaurant. Do you want to see the photo?"
Me: "Alright."
*Shows me a photo of multiple empty plates, all the food has been eaten*
Me: "There's no food. I don't know what you ate."
Her: "I don't know how to say in English."
Me: "So why take a photo of empty plates?"
Her: "Because you said people take a photo so they don't need to say the food."

classic chinese copying without understanding the purpose. no why

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

We just bought Xiao Fangpi a new car and bribed a license for him. He will be so popular.

I'd like to think that the person doing that was completely sauced, but ofc that's not the case.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Mahjong is inexplicably fun to sit around playing all day.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

classic chinese copying without understanding the purpose. no why
We have a term for that. It's called a cargo cult.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

While I was at university this Chinese dude called Howie moved in with my friends for the semester he was studying. I'm not one hundred per cent about how this happened, as most Chinese people tended to bunch together in student halls.

Howie proceeded to go absolutely wild, smashing drugs all the time and partying like an absolute demon. He absolutely could not handle it and would have to be carried home from my gaffe on the reg. One time he projectile vomited all over my bathroom. It was dripping down the walls.

I once asked him about his experience, and he basically said China is no fun and this semester was the time in his life that he could let loose. I think that he was planning on entering the civil service when he went back. He said he wished he could stay in the west but his parents wouldn't let him.

I imagine he's some government mandarin now.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
We had a Chinese girl live in our house for a year when I was at uni and we only ever saw her twice. When she first moved in I offered to take her up to uni for the freshers fair and show her around and she said ok, then when I knocked on her door later she pretended not to be there. She would only come out of her room when everyone was out of the house. The kitchen window was next to the front door so sometimes we'd come home, see her in the kitchen and she would quickly grab whatever she was cooking and run upstairs before we came inside. One time she didn't spot me in time so that was the second and final time we ever met, she didn't say anything and just stood there like a rabbit in the headlights.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

lirong:

come letter receive, thank your regard. not earlier return letter,please forgive!

you recently body how? study smooth?

certainly as usual same live very happy?

I very well,recently have girl-friend, call shizu, very beautiful.

yesterday be new year’s eve, I go her home in, with her whole family together spend new year. her home sitting-room of ceiling, furniture and wall- on everywhere hang happening all kind paper flower ,present also install- on happening colored bulb. shizu suggest play game, it eye cover feel present. I feel-get very good,shizu brother also not bad.I play very happy, until sky soon light only go. near leave time all agree new year second day come my house. really wish you also can come!

thank you invite me and brother summer to your home visit. we definitely come.my abroad study sister that time also return happening,I think ask, she can not can with us together come? no more write, please on my behalf ask all family well. look forward to early return letter!

wish you new year happy!

cimin

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/aYHbv7P.gifv

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Haier posted:

Double parking is the worst

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Haier posted:

At this point I troll her every time she sends me a message, and somehow this makes her more interested in me. It's not even like "negging," it's simply telling her she's retarded for the way she thinks. She's claiming I am a good friend and I see through all the bullshit. I don't even know what that means. I met her once for a walk like 3-4+ months ago because she lives one street over from me, and she messages me like 5 nights a week asking for sex or to take a walk together, and I have denied her every single time.

UPDATE:
She messaged me at 10pm asking if I can give her a hug. I reply "HAHAHAHA" and nothing else. 30 minutes later she asks if maybe I can also give her a kiss. I tell her I am reading the news (reddit), so I can't. She says if we kissed, she would know whether I am the right one for her, and if we can have sex. I told her I can't.

An hour later she sends me a video chat request. I deny it and ask why. She says I told her I forgot what she looked like, so she wants to remind me. I turn it on and am reminded. I decided to keep my face and voice as plain and monotone as possible. Total poker face, including constantly yawning. She's showing me her stuffed animal collection and talking about her job, and I am answering everything like Ben Stein.
She asks why I am not naked. I asked her why in the heck should I be naked? She said we can both be naked at the same time on video, show each other our bodies. I say OK, and she puts her phone down and gets naked, and I just sit there fully clothed. She comes back and doesn't even mention or ask why I did not strip. She's doing the usual "I am soooooo fat" while being the typical skinny Chinese girl with a tiny paunch. I ask her to show me how much hair she has (continuing my theme), and she refuses until I agree to show her my dick. I take some breathes and pull out the limpest I can muster, and she's thoroughly disappointed. I told her he is offended by her constant complaining.

She takes off her underwear and just starts moaning. She's demanding I imagine her doing all sorts of stuff, and she's laying there moaning into the air for way, way too long. I actually minimized the video and kept reading the article I was on before she started messaging me. It was really weird, and then she put her finger in her mouth and asked me to imagine it is my penis in her vagina. "Why isn't it just a penis in a mouth?" "Because blowjob is dirty. Peepee comes out of there." She finger her mouth for another extended period, with more moaning. It went on for so long I took a screen cap and sent it to her, just for her to lose face.
Then she starts rubbing her stuff, and says she likes putting fingers in there, but if I do it I must wash my hands first. She told me like four times that I needed to wash my hands and the peepee off of my hands and penis if I get anywhere near her.
She abruptly stopped and asked why guys like "the other hole," and if it is bearable for a man to do it. I said it's full of poop and if you do it there, it's like poking a hole in a water bottle and the poop will come out like a faucet the moment the penis is removed. She was shocked and said she mustn't try it.

Finally, she says she has sex toys, but has never used them because when she opened the package they made her upset and wish for a real man. She can't bring herself to use them or throw them out because it was a waste of money.

She's pretty cute, she's weird as hell, and she lives so close I can see her apartment from my balcony (she doesn't know where I live). I told her, as always, I was busy and I don't like people coming to my house. Maybe one of these days, maybe not.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Another episode of the hit show Haier Education

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
This is the best thread there ever was.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mimesweeper posted:

it really is

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

These poor women sound so broken. I cannot stop reading about it though.

Mimesweeper posted:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'm beginning to wonder if Haier even wants to go spelunking in Chinese hair caves again.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Haier posted:

i see this poo poo and wonder how anyone not actually born in China manages to drive there without getting killed within the first 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Baronjutter posted:

.Westerners don't go to China/Asia for school because they are too lazy and stupid, will fail our much stricter and harder system.

Ha, story of my life. Parents immigrated from China to come to the US for its colleges and spent my entire childhood complaining about how easy schooling here is and how if I wasn't so lazy and stupid I'd be able to do math two grades higher without issue. The main way my dad bonded with me was me doing Singapore Math handbooks on the dining room table on the weekends while he checked them over. It had to be Singapore Math since the US math books are to easy!

Of course because American school is so easy not effortlessly getting straight As is seen as a personal failing and you have to intentionally be getting Bs to upset your parents since there's no way even someone as stupid as you couldn't get an A if you were really trying! Then again the Asian kids/parents also had a system where the tests/homeworks from one of the more advanced classes in my high school would be circulated around and everyone would just route memorize the correct numbers to put down for each question. My parents at least had the veneer of getting those so I could "check" my work but then again they didn't beat me or smash my poo poo for getting bad grades so they weren't better than most of my classmates and friends Asian parents.

• Locked thread