Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Good god, Zach Lowe made a bunch of dumb as gently caress award picks in his article on it

I'm not even going to touch the MVP thing, except he explicitly punishes Westbrook for having worse teammates than Harden

Seriously, I don't see how he can defend giving the COTY to Popvich considering the jobs D'antoni and Spoelstra did this year

6th man of the year to Iggy :wtc:

All of those things seam completely fine to me? Why does coach of the year have to always be some team surpassing preseason expectations? Technically the Spurs did that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

But Iggy didn't? He scored 7.6 ppg, and only had 4rpg and 3apg

Those are good numbers for a bench guy, plus the defense. Giving it to Jamal Crawford every year for chucking is kind of dumb

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Glumslinger posted:

But Iggy didn't? He scored 7.6 ppg, and only had 4rpg and 3apg

No, I'm saying the award usually goes to just who scores more. I think Iggy deserves very high consideration, especially after Durant went down. But traditionally the award will go to Eric Gordan because POINTS (And lou williams kinda cratered after going to Houstin).

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
You should be giving Popovich Coach of the Year every year until you don't think he's the best coach in the league.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
To be fair to Pop, this is his first time to have two 60 win seasons in a row. This year is just stacked with good candidates for many of the awards. (because the NBA is deeper now than in previous eras despite what random old people will tell you.) Basically Pop's job this year showed us Duncan is a system player and once that old center retired, the Spurs kept rolling like they lost nothing. that last part was a joke

Spring Break My Heart posted:

You should be giving Popovich Coach of the Year every year until you don't think he's the best coach in the league.

He doesn't do the best job coaching every year though. That's like giving LeBron the MVP every year even when other people have a better regular season than him.

Shear Modulus posted:

well we had people saying lebron should have won mvp for the past 15 years

I couldn't get my edit in fast enough. Beat me to it. I would say more like every year from 08 onward but it doesn't matter anyway.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 13, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

well we had people saying lebron should have won mvp for the past 15 years

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

euphronius posted:

Wow Hennigan has already been fired .
Congrats Magic fans.

If it weren't for the Mozgov and Noah contracts, the contract Biyombo got would be the one everyone would be making GBS threads on.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Spurs went 61-21 in the West with Kawhi and a bunch of spare parts is it really that hard to understand the case for Pop as COTY

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Congrats Magic fans.

If it weren't for the Mozgov and Noah contracts, the contract Biyombo got would be the one everyone would be making GBS threads on.

Parsons and Deng are still worse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is like maybe 4 other hall of famers on the team besides kawhi

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tae posted:

No, I'm saying the award usually goes to just who scores more. I think Iggy deserves very high consideration, especially after Durant went down. But traditionally the award will go to Eric Gordan because POINTS (And lou williams kinda cratered after going to Houstin).

Okay now it has to be intentional lmfao

Tae with the usual suspects season long troll

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

euphronius posted:

There is like maybe 4 other hall of famers on the team besides kawhi

Disingenuous as fuuuuuuuck.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Old good guys clean up in the regular season

Wow. What a story line.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In hindsight I'm glad Washington drafted Vesely because I feel like Toronto might have drafted him if they hadn't. Obviously, I'm not thrilled they passed on Kawhi Leonard, but he probably doesn't develop into the monster he is if Toronto drafts him, and it's not like Valanciunas sucks, he's pretty decent.

Also, regarding Biz: Nice one, Ujiri. Man, I hope Masai has a couple more good trades left in him, he's really done a fabulous job running this team, Cabcolo was his only real mistake. And even then, there's only a few people drafted after him that have done much in the NBA.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 13, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not saying pop isn't great. He's fantastic .

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

even though kawhi should win the mvp this year i wouldn't call him a hall of famer yet

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

ragle posted:

Spurs went 61-21 in the West with Kawhi and a bunch of spare parts is it really that hard to understand the case for Pop as COTY

Spare parts, LOL.

What would the league do if next season the Mavs don't pick up Dirk's player option, he comes back at minimum, then the next year he retires, and Cuban gives him something like $20 million a year for a random job with the team?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Spacebump posted:

Basically Pop's job this year showed us Duncan is a system player and once that old center retired, the Spurs kept rolling like they lost nothing. that last part was a joke

Obviously it was a joke, he was a power forward :grin:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spacebump posted:

He doesn't do the best job coaching every year though.
People's perception of this differs a lot more than his coaching. It's just become some award of beating out expectations, when they just end up ignoring all other factors that contribute to that and we've already long factored Popovich's coaching into the expectations for the Spurs.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
If Eric Gordon wins 6th man of the year he would legit be one of the worst winners in the history of the award by almost every metric

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
At least half of Lowe's picks seem like he's being intentionally obtuse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Spare parts, LOL.

What would the league do if next season the Mavs don't pick up Dirk's player option, he comes back at minimum, then the next year he retires, and Cuban gives him something like $20 million a year for a random job with the team?

Likely salary cap circumvention

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Spare parts, LOL.

i dunno. they didnt do poo poo when ak47 and the nets renogotiated his contract lower to free up cap space and also either the nets or prokhorov donated to ak47's shady russian charity, but giving dirk a job with the team might be too low-effort at hiding it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My picks

MVP: (TIE) Harden and Westbrook
ROTY: Malcolm Brogdon
DPOY: Kawhi Leonard
6th Man: Lou Williams
MIP: Nikola Jokic
COY: Erik Spoesltra

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best move if you want to circumvent the cap for a soon-to-retire player would probably be to give them a sweetheart deal on an ownership stake after they retire

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Spare parts, LOL.

I forgot about LaMarcus Aldridge but the rest of the team is spare parts
rounding out their top 5 in winshares is Pau coming off the bench for 12 ppg, David Lee, and Dewayne Dedmon

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MVP: Westbrook
ROTY: Malcolm Brogdon
DPOY: Rudy Gobert
6th Man: Garbage award
MIP: Greak Freak
COY: Pops

Anyone that doesn't vote MIP for giannis is insane. He went from not even the best player on his team last year to a no-brainer all-nba team 2nd team or worse.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Good god, Zach Lowe made a bunch of dumb as gently caress award picks in his article on it

I'm not even going to touch the MVP thing, except he explicitly punishes Westbrook for having worse teammates than Harden

Seriously, I don't see how he can defend giving the COTY to Popvich considering the jobs D'antoni and Spoelstra did this year

6th man of the year to Iggy :wtc:

Iggy being sixth man of the year makes a ton of sense, hes played incredibly well in Kevin Durant's place.

Also why are we so sure that Harden has better teamates?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

By win share 48 Pau is having his 4th best season ever

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Noctone posted:

At least half of Lowe's picks seem like he's being intentionally obtuse.

That's been his whole thing for a while. He's god king of heads up rear end NBA blogger navel gazing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

Iggy being sixth man of the year makes a ton of sense, hes played incredibly well in Kevin Durant's place.

Also why are we so sure that Harden has better teamates?

He explicitly punished Westbrook for creating less points, while at the exact same time saying it was because Westbrook had worse 3pt shooters to pass to

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MVP: Kawhi
Rookie: Brogdon
DPOY: Gobert
6th man: Lou Williams
MIP: Greek Freak
CoY: Pop

The Glumslinger posted:

He explicitly punished Westbrook for creating less points, while at the exact same time saying it was because Westbrook had worse 3pt shooters to pass to

It's almost like this MVP race is incredibly close and people have to make difficult decisions.

The fact that Westbrooks teammates were worse shooters matters. Results matter. Yes Westbrook can't help this but it effects his results and play so it has to be taken into consideration. At least Lowe is being upfront about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Voting for brogdan is drat shameful.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

N: https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/852577141845876737
V: Yes, hope it happens and he passes Wilt.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I want to talk a bit about Brandon Ingram, and how much better he was after the ASB. I know his season stats aren't great, but there definitely looks like a night and day different after the ASB

Before the ASB, he averaged 8 points per game on 36% shooting, in 28 minutes

After the ASB, he averaged 13ppg on 47.5% shooting, in 32 minutes

I know his season stats on the whole aren't great, but he really started to learn how to use his length when driving and finishing around the rim in the last few months, and has been starting to show off a nasty euro-step. His 3pt shooting was a mess all season, but hopefully it can be improved since his jumper form isn't bad.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

MVP: Harden
DPOY: Kawhi
MIP: Giannis
ROY: Dario
6th Man: Eric Gordon
Coach: Spoelstra

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
https://twitter.com/Manny_Navarro/status/852359596052283392
https://twitter.com/ShandelRich/status/852355131781783553

COTY Spoelstra :qq:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Meh. If you can't make the playoffs in the east you don't deserve to be the COY imo.

I'm mostly being flip, as Spo did an insanely good job. But man you guys are talking about giving a .500 coach in the east a COY award

Like even those years we were talking up giving Thibs CoY for coaching those garbage rear end Roseless teams he was making the playoffs at a decent seeding.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Poor Lamarcus Aldridge went from All-Star to spare part in just 2 seasons, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Disingenuous as fuuuuuuuck.

A bit, but calling that team spare parts is also not right. LMA is still playing at a really high level, and they have a bunch of guys who'd be starters on most NBA teams. It's not a team of spare parts.

• Locked thread