Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I stand corrected!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've got the contract for our house purchase

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CornHolio posted:

Seriously? Details? I might be interested. Is it in decent shape?

I tend to buy most of my cars from the Chicago area, since it's the closest metro area to me (I'm in Mishawaka, IN).

Seriously, or at least last I heard he was. I'm a little foggy on the details, but I think it's an '83 with 220k on the clock. It's in decent shape, but it will need work eventually, clutch is extremely aggressive and it doesn't mind revving

I'll ask him later tonight about it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Like what?

This is reaching back in memory a bit, but we had a '97 E320 starting around 2001, I think my dad sold it around 2004. I loved that car (and got into trouble too much in said car), especially the noise it made when it got up above ~4k RPM. It was a neverending string of chasing electrical issues. It didn't help that there was seemingly fuckall for DIY info at the time online.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

fridge corn posted:

I've got the contract for our house purchase

Congrats and/or condolences!

Owning a home alternates between amazingly awesome and amazingly stressful.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

Seriously, or at least last I heard he was. I'm a little foggy on the details, but I think it's an '83 with 220k on the clock. It's in decent shape, but it will need work eventually, clutch is extremely aggressive and it doesn't mind revving

I'll ask him later tonight about it

Hrm, I might be interested. Kinda want a later one with the Porschier interior though.

There's one down the street I'm going to look at tonight, but I'm not looking to purchase one

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I bet my co-worker lunch that Furious 8 will out-gross Furious 7. I have high hopes.

What I'm asking is for you goons to buy mangosteen go see F8 so I can win my bet.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Wrar posted:

Charlotte is a decent place to visit and downtownish is fun. There is some hella good beer and food there.

I'd ask The Midniter questions way before me though, I am 2 hours down the road on 85 in Durm.

If you are in South Carolina they have Sand Blast Rally in the Sandhills State Forest which I go to almost annually. ViR is just north of the Carolina/VA border. Asheville is gorgeous. We have beaches but you don't have to go there.

NC is pretty cool mostly. Outside most of the cities is is very much The South though, but you live in Indiana so,

Sand blast is a real good time. I think Ive been marshalling there for 8 years now. I can't recommend setting it up as a tailgate enough. We go out there with 4-6 friends, a reasonable amount of beer, a grill, and have an good drat time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Welp I'm officially engaged!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:woop: Grats!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Magnus Praeda posted:

Congrats and/or condolences!

Owning a home Being married alternates between amazingly awesome and amazingly stressful.

McTinkerson posted:

The 944 S2 also have a loving huge four cylinder don't they?

Edit: 3.0l, yeah that's a lot of displacement for four cylinders.

And they're turbo'd. My first turbo experience was in one of those, the S2 (Edit: It was a turbo S, in "Silver Rose") was a limited edition pink-like color. I took it out to the back lot where I was working as a valet. The first car I had driven with a turbo, and it defined turbo lag. However, I was absolutely not prepared for the push when the turbo hit, and it pushed me back enough to pull my foot off the accelerator. I was sold on turbos at that point.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 13, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We'd actually be living in Lake Wylie (if she gets this promotion) across the river in SC. But if this one isn't a good fit they are building all over NC as well so there's future options.
If your vehicles will be registered in SC, good news, all this state wants is your tax money! No emissions or inspections for any vehicles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nice work duder.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
This thread is killin it. House buyin', getting engaged...

:ohdear: We're becoming domesticated guys. Quick someone buy a track prepped e30 or something!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:ohdear: We're becoming domesticated guys. Quick someone buy a track prepped e30 or something!

How about I get my track prepped e30 to the track at least 3 times this year? It's been almost 3 years since I had it on track and it finally has a roll bar, harnesses and poly bushings

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm working on making a bad decision!

Then again, I'm married and have children and oh my god this is my midlife crisis isn't it

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm old, never married and no prospects for marriage, although I do live in a house I pretend is mine (it's the bank's). Most days I am pretty happy with the situation.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Prepare to spend 1/6 of the cars MSRP in service annually if its an AMG. 1/10 or so otherwise. IMO the early mercedes mod engines are poo poo.

This right here. Also, if it has an "environmentally friendly" wiring harness sitting smack dab in the middle of the engine, run far and fast as it'll cost you the same to replace that as you paid for the car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Locator posted:

I'm old, never married and no prospects for marriage, although I do live in a house I pretend is mine (it's the bank's). Most days I am pretty happy with the situation.

Kinda the same, but renting.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You Am I posted:

Kinda the same, but renting.

I often wish I was renting, as I'd be able to move much closer to work and get back many hours of commute time per week, not to mention the fuel/vehicle costs.

On the other hand, there are a lot of nice things about owning a home, like my own garage to park in, and the ability to turn an entire room into a hardwood floored hobby room.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are garage door openers strong enough to keep out thieves? If not, is there a kind of garage door opener that will also lock the door?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

Are garage door openers strong enough to keep out thieves? If not, is there a kind of garage door opener that will also lock the door?
What kind of door?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I know mine will hold the door shut until the metal bends. But a roller door is only as strong as a stolen commodores bumper as its rammed into it to pop it out of its runners.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

What kind of door?

I dunno. Just hypothetically. Was thinking about security if my parents bought a house and they end up travelling or whatever.

Ferremit posted:

I know mine will hold the door shut until the metal bends. But a roller door is only as strong as a stolen commodores bumper as its rammed into it to pop it out of its runners.

Well...a deadbolt wouldn't make much of a difference against that :P

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

There's a reason that tool shops with roller doors have big gently caress off removable bollards in front of them...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, I'm having a roller door fitted following my break in. The door fitter said the only more secure option for "normal" garage doors is the heavy duty segmented type.

Up and over doors are all less than wonderful.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
RIP Shop 3609 (they were recently re-numbered to 5-digit national shop numbers, but we still all know it as 3609).

You served me well

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Normally wouldn't be RIP, but new rules with our AMR overlords it that any truck with over 500k miles goes until it's first major maintenance, and gets scrapped. Kind of like Top Gear's "no new parts" rule.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How the gently caress do you manage to rear end an ambulance? Even while drunk? :stare:

Also uh... 500k? Don't you guys (where you're at anyway) get staged around town and wind up idling? That seems like a shitload of miles for an ambulance to me, but every city I've lived in had the fire department handle EMS instead of outsourcing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh, yeah, most of us dont' have stations, and spend 12 or 24 hours in the truck, staged around town, like you said.

But the fleet is just that old. That one particularly has 674k miles. It's been to the Mexican border many times, and up to Olympia, WA once. And that's just with me on it, in the last 3-4 years.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've just put my battery on charge and one of the smd LEDs in the aftermarket DRLs started emitting the smoke.

Hasty fuse pull.

That's not right!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

But the fleet is just that old.

What year was that thing? I thought Ford had moved away from that front clip, even on their cutaways, a long time ago. I'm guessing 2005 or older?

(sorry, my inner sperg is coming out)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's actually a 2006 MY, according to door sticker and insurance card. Ford made available a lot of older styles for fleet-only use, a la the Crown Vic, during refreshes. Like how the E350 was, and I could be wrong on specific years, discontinued in 2007-2011 (dependent on market) for normal sale, but was available until 2015 for fleet use. And how they only offered the 7.3 diesel for normal sales, but crunched and smashed and hammered the 6.0(hno) engine into fleet sales until 2014.

Long live 3609!

(Background: There are multiple coach builders of ambulances. Braun, Horton, Wheeled Coach, Medix, Leader, etc. Braun are, IMO, the best. They're the ones that are regularly featured in shows like Night Watch, and their poo poo is actually the best. You can usually recognize a Braun by their curved, domed roofs, though a lot of new ones have square roofs. They just have better creature comforts. However, Braun usually works exclusively with Chrysler and Chevrolet chassis, and most of our fleet is Ford. There are, however, a few Braun retrofit boxes, where they put a Braun on a Ford chassis. 3609 was one of the last two of these in our fleet. All the other Brauns are 911-only ambulances on Chevrolet chassis, that have DEF systems and other poo poo that break down constantly. The rare Braun-Ford ambulances are revered, and honored, by our interfacility crews [which I am one of]. Braun boxes just do things better. They have speakers in the box, with the optioned Front/Rear/Left/Right head units, so we can blast tunes at patients [most ambos don't have rear speakers]. They have reverse cameras as nearly standard, whereas most of our fleet doesn't have them. They have rear LED dome lights, AND fluorescent light boxes. Their A/C-Heat systems have automatic reversing valves, so you can set a set temperature. Every other ambulance in the fleet, regardless of make, has a 1/4 turn ball valve you need to open for heat, or close for A/C, underneath the ambulance between the cab and the box [coolant hose valve]. The guy in the back of a Braun can turn the emergency lights on or off from his rear control panel --he can, in fact, control nearly the entire ambulance-- versus every other make, where the guy in the box can only control the interior lights and HVAC fan speed. Instead of having two "Open Cabinets" (read: shelves with seatbelt straps holding equipment down), Braun boxes have one big cabinet with three shelves, with a loving roller door like a garage door that covers everything. There are rear radios as standard in a Braun, versus cab-only radios in other makes.

As you may read/see, not necessarily requirements, but Braun ambulances are Just Better (tm) )

:911:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God loving dammit. So I've been getting rides from classmates since my car died. One of them was supposed to get my this morning at 7, way earlier than I normally wake up (he has 7:30 class); I set three separate alarms with overlapping snooze repeat times, so it would slowly build to an endless cacophony.

So of course my phone dies overnight despite being plugged in. And in my sleepiness I flipped my alarm clock switch to the wrong position so that didn't go off either. So after waiting an unknown time at my place he obviously left and may or may not have been late to class because of my stupidity. And I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get an uber or some poo poo.

Why am I such a fuckup?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I've just put my battery on charge and one of the smd LEDs in the aftermarket DRLs started emitting the smoke.

Hasty fuse pull.

That's not right!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Enourmo posted:

God loving dammit. So I've been getting rides from classmates since my car died. One of them was supposed to get my this morning at 7, way earlier than I normally wake up (he has 7:30 class); I set three separate alarms with overlapping snooze repeat times, so it would slowly build to an endless cacophony.

So of course my phone dies overnight despite being plugged in. And in my sleepiness I flipped my alarm clock switch to the wrong position so that didn't go off either. So after waiting an unknown time at my place he obviously left and may or may not have been late to class because of my stupidity. And I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get an uber or some poo poo.

Why am I such a fuckup?

This is not a big deal, mistakes happen, you are a fallible human being. Don't dwell on it, just apologise to him and move on.

Regarding e55 AMG chat, my cousin owns one and they're great cars and much like most old mercedes aren't half as unreliable or expensive as people claim they are. If you like them, go for it, just make sure you get one that's been taken care of. Be aware that e55s built before 1997 had the wiring harness issue but that it isn't as big a deal as people make out - the primary cost of replacing these is the harness itself as people tend to buy new ones from mercedes for big bucks but you can find perfectly good used ones for a fraction of the price - here it's 2k for a new harness for an m104 from mercedes or 300 for a JY one that's virtually indistinguishable.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I often think we British have a far better understanding of what "these colours don't run" really means.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I bought a Razer glowing multicolor keyboard and fancy mouse to play starcraft2, and I am a 37 year old male. Plz send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Why am I such a fuckup?

You were only late to class, no biggy. As was said, apologize and move on with your life. I've done that when I was supposed to be at work for an important meeting. Life goes on, and people sometimes sleep through their alarms.

• Locked thread