Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Understandable - the only reason I know they hit the two week mark exactly is because it felt like it had been a really long time since the last one, so I went and checked and was actually surprised to see that it had only been two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I felt the urge to hop back into this game and just read about the upcoming Mass Transit DLC, holy poo poo this is exactly what I've been wanting for ages in this game, more/better mass transit!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I just picked the game up again after being out since vanilla.

Wasn't there something that let you change the building types for the map? Or even per-district (so you could have skyscrapers in one area and European style in another)? I thought it would be pretty cool to make a map with like, a big modern city on one part, and smaller differently themed towns on the edges. I see how this works now, I was missing a step.

Also, I remember in the long, long, long ago, people posted a build that treated sewage without dumping it back into the water, for those maps where like, you don't want to create a disgusting poo poo-beach. Is that still a thing? I looked on the Worskhop but I mostly saw upgraded treatment plants. I though there was a different name for the ones people used to use, but I can't remember what it was for the life of me. A wastewater basin or something?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 9, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

JerikTelorian posted:

I just picked the game up again after being out since vanilla.

Wasn't there something that let you change the building types for the map? Or even per-district (so you could have skyscrapers in one area and European style in another)? I thought it would be pretty cool to make a map with like, a big modern city on one part, and smaller differently themed towns on the edges. I see how this works now, I was missing a step.

Also, I remember in the long, long, long ago, people posted a build that treated sewage without dumping it back into the water, for those maps where like, you don't want to create a disgusting poo poo-beach. Is that still a thing? I looked on the Worskhop but I mostly saw upgraded treatment plants. I though there was a different name for the ones people used to use, but I can't remember what it was for the life of me. A wastewater basin or something?

Everything you need for sewage is in Avanya's modular sewage treatment facility. His/her water pumps are good too.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Everything you need for sewage is in Avanya's modular sewage treatment facility. His/her water pumps are good too.

This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

O-Unit
Oct 22, 2005

Dev Diary 3 is up. This one's about blimps and cable cars.

Key things:
Blimps have a higher capacity than ferries
Blimps are routed using pathways like ferries
Cable car cables cannot "pass over houses" (presumably this also includes other zone types, but not sure if it also includes things like plazas and parks)
Cables can be placed over water (the cable-supporting pylon gets a concrete base that stands in the water)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

There's a release date and price - May 18th, $12.99

https://twitter.com/Cities_PDX/status/852507185674366976

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ollie74656 posted:

Dev Diary 3 is up. This one's about blimps and cable cars.

Key things:
Blimps have a higher capacity than ferries
Blimps are routed using pathways like ferries
Cable car cables cannot "pass over houses" (presumably this also includes other zone types, but not sure if it also includes things like plazas and parks)
Cables can be placed over water (the cable-supporting pylon gets a concrete base that stands in the water)

Sounds like they act similar to power lines.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any word on if this update is going to have performance improvements for large cities? I really liked playing this game a year and a half ago when it came out, but performance really started to suffer once you got past about 90,000 find population. Mass transit seems like the kind of expansion pack that I would buy but doing a Subway or blimp network for a village of 20,000 cims seems like overkill

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hadlock posted:

Any word on if this update is going to have performance improvements for large cities? I really liked playing this game a year and a half ago when it came out, but performance really started to suffer once you got past about 90,000 find population. Mass transit seems like the kind of expansion pack that I would buy but doing a Subway or blimp network for a village of 20,000 cims seems like overkill

I don't think that there's a whole lot that CO can do to boost performance in larger cities.

For what its worth, 90k people is probably around the point where the simulation starts hitting agent limits.

Only 16,000 vehicles and 65,000 pedestrians can be active at the same time.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm a bit flabbergasted that blimps are a major feature of "mass transit". Sounds like a joke to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mandalay posted:

I'm a bit flabbergasted that blimps are a major feature of "mass transit". Sounds like a joke to me.

But it's so kewl and steampunk.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Do blimps hold more people than ferries IRL? Also, I have never seen a blimp that wasn't a flying billboard for a sporting event.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

Do blimps hold more people than ferries IRL? Also, I have never seen a blimp that wasn't a flying billboard for a sporting event.

No, nowhere in the world ever used or blimps for in-city transit and it's not even some elon musk style idiotic future idea anyone is proposing. It's extremely stupid for a game not set in some steampunk fantasy world. Put the blimp dev budget into making trams better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't think they're going for super mega ultra realistic here, who cares, just enjoy moving your goofy little sims around in a steam workshop hindenburg mod

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

No, nowhere in the world ever use blimps for in-city transit. It's extremely stupid for a game not set in some steampunk fantasy world. Put the blimp dev budget into making trams better.

Blimp technology will make helicopter taxis easier to do, so w/e.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mandalay posted:

I'll say it again but they make exactly as much sense as airplanes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

No, nowhere in the world ever used or blimps for in-city transit and it's not even some elon musk style idiotic future idea anyone is proposing. It's extremely stupid for a game not set in some steampunk fantasy world. Put the blimp dev budget into making trams better.

Can anyone imagine being this joyless

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Control Volume posted:

Can anyone imagine being this joyless

except that post is correct~

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I like to think that the ~ tilde is a piss stream at the end of a post, since this usually makes the preceding words understandable under that context

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
My trams :qq:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Like, blimps are whatever, I'll just not use them for the same reason I don't build roller-coaster railway grades and give my highways and ramps nice big realistic radius curves, because I think this game looks and plays way better when you try to kick the realism up a notch.

It just seems strange that with so many other possible forms of transit missing or underdeveloped in the game they'd add something purely fantasy and silly like blimps. It just seems like a weird thematic direction to take when so far they've stuck with a contemporary setting. Why not add local helicopter taxi service, a thing that actually exists in some very big cities for the wealthy and fits the same role as their blimps? Why not have car ferries as well as passenger ferries? Why not fix tourism and airports and cruise ship ports and make them meaningful? Anything but blimps.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm totally cool with blimp transport as long as there is an option or mod to make them spontaneously combust like 20% of the time because I like watching the people in my cities suffer. Make an isolated mountain office hub with no transport but blimps so the cims have to roll the dice every time they go to and from work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

I'm totally cool with blimp transport as long as there is an option or mod to make them spontaneously combust like 20% of the time because I like watching the people in my cities suffer. Make an isolated mountain office hub with no transport but blimps so the cims have to roll the dice every time they go to and from work.

Omg I hope someone mods this in along with a Hindenburg skin

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The reason blimps aren't used more in real life is probably because of the safety issues. We haven't been told that blimps in game can catch fire, so using them makes sense within the game. Now if they in fact can catch fire then they are a waste of time, as no one will use them.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Lorini posted:

The reason blimps aren't used more in real life is probably because of the safety issues. We haven't been told that blimps in game can catch fire, so using them makes sense within the game. Now if they in fact can catch fire then they are a waste of time, as no one will use them.

No, modern blimps are actually quite safe. The reason they're not used for transit is because they're huge, verrrrry slooooooooow and have a tiny passenger capacity.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lorini posted:

Now if they in fact can catch fire then they are a waste of time, as no one will use them.

I will!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ripper Swarm posted:

No, modern blimps are actually quite safe. The reason they're not used for transit is because they're huge, verrrrry slooooooooow and have a tiny passenger capacity.

Also the slightest wind makes landing or securing the or even flying impossible.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

tbh I am hoping there's some sort of zeppelin mod for blimps asap, also I want a blimp station that's actually the Empire State building like they meant it to be.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm sure someone is already working on a mod to change blimps to helicopters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

tbh I am hoping there's some sort of zeppelin mod for blimps asap, also I want a blimp station that's actually the Empire State building like they meant it to be.

I also am disappointed that you can't build zeppelin moorings. Or that tall buildings do not automatically come with them. Really all the skyscraper ploppables should also function as transit points for blimps.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zero One posted:

I'm sure someone is already working on a mod to change blimps to helicopters.

Helicopters were added to the game with Natural Disasters. I'm not sure if the code is in the vanilla game, but with an AI change you could have helicopter blimps pretty quickly.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lorini posted:

If they can't catch fire then I probably won't ever use them. An efficient and safe city is a boring city.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gobblecoque posted:

If they can't catch fire then I probably won't ever use them. An efficient and safe city is a boring city.

if a flaming blimp lands in your poo crater, it'll put itself out, problem solved.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hadlock posted:

It might stealth improve the performance because new public transit means new ways to trap and consolidate agents. If you want to save up a bit, an i7 lets you get far enough into the 100ks that agents run into memory handling issues instead of computational issues.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Ripper Swarm posted:

Why bother? Some broad gets on there with a staticky sweater and, boom, it's "oh, the humanity!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's a fun extra feature for people who might enjoy it, and people who don't don't have to use it. I imagine that the systems were already in place from ferries and planes in such a way that implementing blimps was basically trivial and they could throw it in.

The real mass transit improvements are the ferries and the cable cars and the compound crossover stations and the build tools.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm looking forward to monorail myself.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
We haven't had too many screenshots shared in here recently.

Population is about 130,000. Usually try and build ultra-dense cities but this time around opted for some American-style urban sprawl with two cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there a good mod that lets you put elevated roads above ground roads? I remember early on some mod that removed pylons but I don't want the road to just magically float.