Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kamala dies

Any minority character of some kind dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Tell me about the greater Charlotte NC area.

Get ready to die

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yo

I just read the Secret Empire FCBD book and hoo boy the end is dumb

Take guesses as to what happens I wanna see how low expectations are

Sean Spicer is the protagonist.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lightning Lord posted:

Spicy: Front Line would be a real capper (crapper?) on this event.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

This would be spectacular so no

Does anyone care if I put it in tags because I just realized some connotations that go with it and hooooooooo doggy

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
You may as well, I'll ask, I haven't been by a shop to see it

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yo

I just read the Secret Empire FCBD book and hoo boy the end is dumb

Take guesses as to what happens I wanna see how low expectations are

Steve nukes somewhere, I dunno, Latveria?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Splashpage photo-op of Marvel President Trump shaking hands with Nazi Captain America?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

END ME SCOOB posted:

You may as well, I'll ask, I haven't been by a shop to see it

It's not out till FCBD.

OK SERIOUS SPOILERS COMING UP IN THESE TAGS

DONT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

it ends with cap, who is a nazi, remember, wielding mjolnir, because by beating the poo poo out of the heroes so thoroughly Hydra is now worthy

Which is hysterical considering the whole white supremacist hardon for Norse mythology and the fact that Spencer said Cap would be anti-nazi punching

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Everyone else's ideas are way better than this comic

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm pretty sure the end of the FCBD already leaked a while back? I remember people talking about it in the Marvel thread.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

I'm pretty sure the end of the FCBD already leaked a while back? I remember people talking about it in the Marvel thread.

Oh whatever I don't read BSS really anymore I just saw it and had to pop in and cackle madly

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Jesus, Marvel. I still am in awe of how this got through so many hands without a single "Wellllll..."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh whatever I don't read BSS really anymore I just saw it and had to pop in and cackle madly

Well what you posted is different that what was posted before. Anyway what we know about Mjolnir and being worthy has completely changed in the last few months anyway since we've learned that the hammer is sentient and worthiness apparently depends on the person holding it and how they view themselves in the case of Thor. So who knows what's happening there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

Well what you posted is different that what was posted before. Anyway what we know about Mjolnir and being worthy has completely changed in the last few months anyway since we've learned that the hammer is sentient and worthiness apparently depends on the person holding it and how they view themselves in the case of Thor. So who knows what's happening there.

Shows what I've been missing by not keeping up on Thor

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Shows what I've been missing by not keeping up on Thor

It's from the recent Unworthy Thor mini where it's finally revealed that Thor is unworthy because he doesn't believe he's worthy anymore and that the Gods are a sham.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is it the regular hammer (rectangular) or the Ultimate one (shaped more like an axe)? Because it actually matters with regards to motivation. Still incredibly tone-deaf either way, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CapnAndy posted:

Is it the regular hammer (rectangular) or the Ultimate one (shaped more like an axe)? Because it actually matters with regards to motivation. Still incredibly tone-deaf either way, though.

The former, we sort of know what's going to happen with the latter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

It's from the recent Unworthy Thor mini where it's finally revealed that Thor is unworthy because he doesn't believe he's worthy anymore and that the Gods are a sham.

I guess I didn't realize that meant the hammer was sentient

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah, it's talked to Jane recently. Also it's an even worse look than you realize! Nazi Cap taking Jane's hammer is gonna look real loving bad with the "We hate diversity" wounds still fresh.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
'If you think you're worthy, you're worthy' isn't a stupid idea, and brings potential for some interesting stories, but it makes absolutely no sense within canon, and I do not expect Nick Spencer to handle this as anything but 'pretty dumb' at best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RandallODim posted:

'If you think you're worthy, you're worthy' isn't a stupid idea

It super is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also while Cap is definitely a villain, there's no two ways about that he's a bad guy now, he's not a Nazi. In fact the entire story they've been telling in his book is about him trying to kill Red Skull and take Hydra back from him because of how Cap thinks Skull has completely sullied it by aligning with Nazi ideals. Kobik made Steve loyal to the ancient order of Hydra not to Red Skull. I know it's a lot more fun and sensationalist to just say that Cap is a Nazi because it's an easy joke but that's not what's actually in the story. Cap is absolutely a bad guy though so there's no arguing that.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That was revealed in Jane's book.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Pretty sure Nick Spencer is gonna do some stupid poo poo that's a hamfisted metaphor for all the political nonsense going on in the world today that he thinks is a super, super clever reversal of all the Nazi Cap stuff and he'll be all "Now wasn't that payoff worth it guys?" and everyone will be "gently caress no" and in response Marvel will launch an X-Men Gold/Blue style back to basics meat and potatoes Captain America where he's punching Nazis.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

Also while Cap is definitely a villain, there's no two ways about that he's a bad guy now, he's not a Nazi. In fact the entire story they've been telling in his book is about him trying to kill Red Skull and take Hydra back from him because of how Cap thinks Skull has completely sullied it by aligning with Nazi ideals. Kobik made Steve loyal to the ancient order of Hydra not to Red Skull. I know it's a lot more fun and sensationalist to just say that Cap is a Nazi because it's an easy joke but that's not what's actually in the story. Cap is absolutely a bad guy though so there's no arguing that.

That was revealed in Jane's book.

It's all loving stupid

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's all loving stupid

I'm not going to argue that point with you. I completely understand why people don't like it or want to read it. Personally I'm a fan of the inversion trope in comics and I love when by circumstance a hero is forced to be a villain and villain is forced to be a hero. I loved how this story started out in Cap's book but the middle kind of lost me with the last few issues getting me back into it. I clearly see why a lot of people don't like it though so I wouldn't try to argue that the story is worth reading to someone who has written it off. I do feel that it's kind of important to get the details of it right though when talking about it whether you like it or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

This used to be the story for how Hydra aren't nazis too. Red Skull was working with them out of convenience, wasn't a true believer etc.

But now Skull's just the nazi guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There aren't enough differences between what Cap is and what a Nazi is for me to be ok with this story.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

I'm not going to argue that point with you. I completely understand why people don't like it or want to read it. Personally I'm a fan of the inversion trope in comics and I love when by circumstance a hero is forced to be a villain and villain is forced to be a hero. I loved how this story started out in Cap's book but the middle kind of lost me with the last few issues getting me back into it. I clearly see why a lot of people don't like it though so I wouldn't try to argue that the story is worth reading to someone who has written it off. I do feel that it's kind of important to get the details of it right though when talking about it whether you like it or not.

It's all been loving stupid since minute one and "well actually Cap isn't really a nazi" is like the least of the problems

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

X-O posted:

I prefer when like, the Sandman realizes being a villain is dumb rather than a space cube making Captain America Actually, A Nazi All Along

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

This used to be the story for how Hydra aren't nazis too. Red Skull was working with them out of convenience, wasn't a true believer etc.

But now Skull's just the nazi guy.

Skull has always had the ties to Nazis in the books though. Hydra was originally just another spy organization like SHIELD. I mean there's been no shortage of Hydra stories that have nothing to do with Skull or his allegiances. Stories with Bob from Deadpool or that really fun Secret Wars one shot about a Hydra agent wouldn't be as fun as they were if there Nazi connections always hanging over them. The MCU is largely where Hydra and Nazis are indistinguishable. In the comics Hydra goes all the way back to ancient Egypt and has been a foe of SHIELD since then. After the Pleasant Hill stuff Hydra leadership was pretty much wiped off the table and very few pockets of the original organization remained. The current incarnation of Hydra in the books was reassembled by Red Skull after that and does indeed draw primarily on hate groups and that's why he and Steve are at odds now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

I prefer when like, the Sandman realizes being a villain is dumb rather than a space cube making Captain America Actually, A Nazi All Along

Didn't you hear he's not actually a nazi

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Unrelated I should be allowed to give a stone cold stunner to anyone who asks if we price match

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
do you price match

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

It can be fun either way. Carnage being a hero in Axis wasn't a sudden change of heart and it's really fun. This Cap story isn't fun though I'll grant you that. There's nothing fun about it at all. And that's why I kind of lost interest midway through. The last few issues picked up but I'm also at the point where I'm ready for Secret Empire to just go ahead and happen so we can get back to basics with Cap as well. I'm just afraid that also means Sam going back to being Falcon which I don't really want to see.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RandallODim posted:

do you price match

Get ready for a stunner

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SPOILERS

https://imgur.com/nCSDk4T

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The issue with "oh ho but Captain America is loyal to Hydra, not the Nazis" is kind of immaterial where the Secret Cosmic Cube History That Is the Real History Now is that:

1) HYDRA was formed by evil reptile aliens hoping to form a "legacy of evil".
2) Thousands of years ago, these evil reptile aliens corrupt a secret Japanese society and one of them became The Beast, the demon that runs the Hand.
~~a really long time passes~~
3) The Hydra Society is a murderous fascist organization in the 1920s intent on ruling the world as a totalitarian dictatorship.
4) The Hydra Society murders Steve Rogers's parents and take him in to indoctrinate him into their fascist order.
5) The Hydra Society really wants to use WWII to their advantage for their plan to take over the world, so they join the Axis.
6) A few people, including Steve Rogers, go "I don't know, that HItler seems like a bad fellow" but they're outvoted.
7) Throughout WWII, Hydra acts on behalf of the Axis powers and work directly with the Nazis to try to conquer the planet. This include Steve, who is basically a deep cover agent for the Axis against the US/Allies, and in doing so Steve does his best to secretly help the Zemos who are working with Nazis to blow up Allies forces.[/b]
8) Near the end of the war as the Axis falls apart, the Red Skull comes in and is all "ha ha I am taking over Hydra to make it more Nazi-ish, just try and stop me!"
9) Steve's immortal demonic surrogate mother tells him that yeah, Nazis are kind of bad but you know, this is all part of a master plan, so let's just go along with the Nazi co-option of Hydra because eventually we'll still take over the world.
10) In the present day, Steve Rogers's grand vision of a totalitarian fascist Nazi Hydra Led Future involves
a) Nazi concentration Hydra Confinement Camps for undesirables
b) Nazi Hydra-run media where newscasters are held as gunpoint to deliver propaganda
c) Giant Nazi Hydra rallies where enemies of the state are executed
d) Hitler Hydra Youth indoctrinated in schools and set loose in the streets to brutalize undesirables

Hydra in Nick Spencer's narratives aren't Nazis in the same way that having a hate group called the Sons of the Serpent who wear white green robes and white serpent hoods and burn crosses snakeheads on black people's lawns and lynch people isn't the Klan, or how talking about wanting to kill niggers urban feral Amish isn't racism.

So yeah, Steve Rogers isn't a Nazi. He's just nationalist fascist dictator who works for immortal alien demons intent on rule of evil, and who engage in alliances of convenience with Nazis. And has pretty much the same goals as Nazis. And uses Nazi tactics. But he doesn't even LIKE Nazis!

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 14, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever written a comic about all the B- and C-list supervillains who were scientific geniuses, doctors, inventors, and engineers banding together and deciding that robbing banks is stupid, and they could make more money actually using their brains and their ingenuity for something productive and good? They could be competitive with the superheroes who used to beat them up and send them to jail by creating things to help and even save the world, to be thought of as even greater heroes by the general public. It could be kind of a redemption story, but redemption almost out of spite.

That's a story I've always wanted to see or even write. Has it been done before, either by Marvel or DC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That kind of happened in 52. I think as part of the Black Adam plot?

Well, not the doing good part.

• Locked thread