Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This doesn't seem great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i was sincerely expecting it to cost 4R so i'm cool with that aspect of it

also hella sweet art

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This doesn't seem great.

it's no flame-tongue kavu, but then again, what is *leaves oragami manticore on your doorstep*

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fling with flashback.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It could have just said "a creature" and been a cool variant of ftk

but no, it has to be a different creature, because...

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Everything is "another creature" instead of "a creature" with Wizards these days. From a design and flavor perspective I think it's the right call. Something weird about so many creatures sacrificing themselves outside of Black, and even then...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

GeneX posted:

I feel like in a Limited game, the player who has a 4 mana removal spell that can also be an attacker and can be cast twice, is probably going to win.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mossyfisk posted:

I feel like in a Limited game, the player who has a 4 mana removal spell that can also be an attacker and can be cast twice, is probably going to win.

I don't give a poo poo about limited

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Flametongue Kavu can only hit creatures and not players, and has to hit a creature so it will destroy itself on an empty board or kill another one of your guys if your opponent has none.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Flametongue Kavu can only hit creatures and not players, and has to hit a creature so it will destroy itself on an empty board or kill another one of your guys if your opponent has none.

I know this

I also know that I want the modal 4 mana burn spell with flashback in standard

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

I don't give a poo poo about limited

Mods?! Shouldn't this be ban-worthy?!

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Mods?! Shouldn't this be ban-worthy?!

If the mods banned everyone who made bad life decisions there wouldn't be anyone left to post

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Firebatgyro posted:

If the mods banned everyone who made bad life decisions there wouldn't be anyone left to post

Worth it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This set looks really neat in a "not full of broken bullshit" way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I just realized...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Firebatgyro posted:

also the mods don't care about the magic: the gathering thread

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Smashing Link posted:

Everything is "another creature" instead of "a creature" with Wizards these days. From a design and flavor perspective I think it's the right call. Something weird about so many creatures sacrificing themselves outside of Black, and even then...

The notion of slitting your own throat just to fizzle a Lightning Helix and spitefully prevent the gain of three health is Black as gently caress, so any black sac outlet at instant speed should be self-applicable.

Meanwhile, the notion of existing only for the purpose of suicide assault is Red as gently caress, so red ETB sacs or anything else where a creature's entire lifespan could end up being less than Ball Lightning's should be self-applicable.

And in the event that you do one of the above but for reasons other than being a total dick, you're WX gold card.

IMHO.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

I just realized...

It's too bad these two cards don't recur each other

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

ShaneB posted:

This seems to indicate something like a Goblin Rabblemaster would not need to be continually acknowledged, but Surrak's would: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2016/10/18/do-not-pass-go/

Hahaha that article completely contradicts how they ruled at the Pro-Tour

quote:

Triggers Are Still Around

The default when moving to beginning of combat is to move there with the non-active player having priority. It’s important to realize that this doesn’t mean any triggers have been missed. Once the non-active player passes back, “OK, Toolcraft Exemplar’s trigger resolves, I crew this Renegade Freighter” is a fine line of play, even if the non-active player didn’t realize this was going to happen. It doesn’t generate a priority that wouldn’t be there naturally.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
2RR for a 4/3 is already a pretty good deal, the Fling is a nice bonus and Embalm is excellent icing.

A+ for limited.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

St0rmD posted:

Yeah isn't this like entirely opposite? I'm so loving confused.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Eikre posted:

The notion of slitting your own throat just to fizzle a Lightning Helix and spitefully prevent the gain of three health is Black as gently caress, so any black sac outlet at instant speed should be self-applicable.

Meanwhile, the notion of existing only for the purpose of suicide assault is Red as gently caress, so red ETB sacs or anything else where a creature's entire lifespan could end up being less than Ball Lightning's should be self-applicable.

And in the event that you do one of the above but for reasons other than being a total dick, you're WX gold card.

IMHO.

A few years back I remember them saying that black cards would stop being able to sacrifice themselves to emphasize the selfish part of black. See Blood Bairn vs Nantuko Husk. I haven't been paying close enough attention to know if they've kept to that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The rule was that creatures could still sacrifice themselves if that would do something (e.g. viscera seer) but not if it wouldn't (e.g. nantuko husk). Not sure how well they've stuck to that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've lost more than one game online where I click a bloodthrone vampire and because MODO sucks you can't tell if it worked or is just lagging so you click again and it eats itself to pump itself. So adding another is mostly just a practical consideration.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The rule was that creatures could still sacrifice themselves if that would do something (e.g. viscera seer) but not if it wouldn't (e.g. nantuko husk). Not sure how well they've stuck to that.

Quickly scrolling through recent black sac outlets, looks like you're right. Defiant Salvagers can sacrifice itself but that's probably because revolt is in the same set and everything else back to M14 at least that's not in a reprint set seems to follow.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol I wonder if this is Wizards trying to "fix" blink creatures so that they can't be used in infinite combos.
E: wait, it already doesn't come back til the end step, so I don't even know what the combat-only restriction is about. A blinker that you can't use to save your guys from removal for some random reason? OK.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I've lost more than one game online where I click a bloodthrone vampire and because MODO sucks you can't tell if it worked or is just lagging so you click again and it eats itself to pump itself. So adding another is mostly just a practical consideration.

A cool thing I've noticed playing MM3 online is that anything that is able to sac itself to its own ability has an extra dialogue ask if you want to do that for sure. Probably to prevent issues like the one you described.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

So you can use this at end of turn and the creature won't come back until the end of the next turn, correct? Probably still not good enough.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It resets your exert guys, mazes an attacker and surprise blocks another, saves a dude when they spend a trick to win combat, or just rebuys an ETB trigger. Seems fine.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

So you can use this at end of turn and the creature won't come back until the end of the next turn, correct? Probably still not good enough.

Correct on both counts, assuming you meant constructed. It'll be fine in limited.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It resets your exert guys, mazes an attacker and surprise blocks another, saves a dude when they spend a trick to win combat, or just rebuys an ETB trigger. Seems fine.

Also if the creature blinked has revolt, it triggers itself (I'm thinking about Deadeye Harpooner, Vengeful rebel and Renegade Rallier)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Don't forget that that card permanently kills embalm tokens

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

So I'm going to assume there will be some day zero errata for Glorious End since, as it stands, the 'lose the game' clause never happens.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mikujin posted:

So I'm going to assume there will be some day zero errata for Glorious End since, as it stands, the 'lose the game' clause never happens.

Yes it does...?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't forget that that card permanently kills embalm tokens

Seems like a good limited card at least.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Isn't it just a delayed trigger that goes on the stack at the end of your next turn? The card still resolves in order to activate the "End the turn" effect in the first place.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheMaestroso posted:

A cool thing I've noticed playing MM3 online is that anything that is able to sac itself to its own ability has an extra dialogue ask if you want to do that for sure. Probably to prevent issues like the one you described.

It does now. It didn't until very recently.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

St0rmD posted:

Wasn't the issue this: The head judge said that cesar was attempting to, during the beginning of combat step, crew his Heart of Kiran and pump it using the welder's ability. This is not a legal play.

So basically it was a targeting issue, NOT the crewing issue? He didn't declare a target at all with the trigger when it went on the stack when he went into combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There's some sort of Amonkhet Preview Show going on according to my twitch notifications, no idea what's in it

• Locked thread