Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's a 2014 Rambo game on the 360, PS3 and PC. There's also a separate and unrelated Rambo arcade machine released in 2008 by Sega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Don't forget the Apple II/DOS Rambo: First Blood Part II text adventure!

It looks terrible.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
There's one for c64 too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHQFbyOzwBc&t=140s

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think there's also a Rambo game for DOS PCs - I think Rambo 3, but it might be First Blood II - that has the unusual distinction of being one of the few DOS games that supports a non-standard EGA mode that's 320x200, but can change the 16-color palette as if it were in 640x350 mode. (Typically, you can only change the palette in 640x350 EGA mode; 320x200 EGA mode is hardlocked to the familiar 16 color palette that pretty much every EGA worth a drat used.)

EDIT: Yup, Rambo III, "EGA Enhanced Color". No idea how they pulled this off - specialized hardware, I'm going to assume.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 13, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RodShaft posted:

I used to duel wield on house of the dead 2(maybe3?) At Ameristar in STL. It was badass with the shotguns. And something to do while the DDR Extreme was full up.

Dual-wielding the auto-shotguns in HOTD Overkill is very satisfying :allears:.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

NES Classic has been discontinued. Congrats to those who got one.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dual-wielding the auto-shotguns in HOTD Overkill is very satisfying :allears:.

And difficult to reload. My friend and I would try to like, flip it up, catch the reload bit, cock it, and flip back, but it didn't yield good results.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like the only light gun game where that's practical.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

NES Classic has been discontinued. Congrats to those who got one.

I'm going to assume this is because a 2.0 version will be out in three or four months.

In fact that discontinued is so abrupt for a product in demand I have to assume that they had a contract with one of the third parties for a year's license (which would be weird but that's Nintendo for you).

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Now I want this for all my genesis games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to assume this is because a 2.0 version will be out in three or four months.

In fact that discontinued is so abrupt for a product in demand I have to assume that they had a contract with one of the third parties for a year's license (which would be weird but that's Nintendo for you).

More likely Nintendo doesn't care about it and will instead have more Switch production runs.

Not like the NES Mini is anything terribly impressive considering all the other ways you have to emulate NES games.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Elliotw2 posted:

More likely Nintendo doesn't care about it and will instead have more Switch production runs.

Not like the NES Mini is anything terribly impressive considering all the other ways you have to emulate NES games.

This. I don't think there will be another run at all, it was a holiday holdover.

vv you are being a weirdo butthurt baby

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 13, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a crock of loving bullshit. Maybe advertise the loving thing as limited or something. gently caress! It was almost impossible to get in Canada.

And yeah, I could have loving made a Raspberry Pi emulation box but I liked the aesthetics of this little thing.

Nintendo is bullshit. gently caress em. After Zelda on the Wii U (which is fantastic) I am refusing to buy anything from them.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There are a lot of ways to play nes games on an emulator but it's more work than most people want to put into it.

Most people want to just plug something in and play without the hassle of setting things up. The nes classic was nice because it was plug and play and had a decent collection of games for casual fans.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

What a crock of loving bullshit. Maybe advertise the loving thing as limited or something. gently caress! It was almost impossible to get in Canada.

And yeah, I could have loving made a Raspberry Pi emulation box but I liked the aesthetics of this little thing.

Nintendo is bullshit. gently caress em. After Zelda on the Wii U (which is fantastic) I am refusing to buy anything from them.

I mean, you could just do the Pi box as noted, and shove it into a broken NES scrounged from Ebay or a yard sale or something. Then you get your aesthetics, too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If I put a NES in an oven will it shrink like a chip bag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bcfp5_8bz4

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

mariooncrack posted:

There are a lot of ways to play nes games on an emulator but it's more work than most people want to put into it.

Most people want to just plug something in and play without the hassle of setting things up. The nes classic was nice because it was plug and play and had a decent collection of games for casual fans.

Nobody who is really upset about this being discontinued is a "casual fan" and I assure you it's really easy to transfer games onto an SD card and pop them in a Retro Freak, or hook up a Retron 5, or for the more technically minded hook up their PC to a TV or make a Raspberry Pi box.

also, like half of the appeal was that it got hacked to poo poo and could play more than 30 games, which... yeah.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are people online who make turnkey Retropie images with a Hyperspin-like frontend and stuff, like ones for 128 and 200 gig microSD cards. You just configure the inputs and you're done. As an NES Classic (and Famicom Mini) owner I definitely think a Pi3 with RetroPie and maybe a 3D-printed case is the way to go.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you want to play emulated NES games check out https://www.google.com

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For a thread dedicated to playing things on original hardware there sure is a lot of bullshit being thrown out right now.

E: I understand the irony of saying that since the NES classic is just an emulation box but it was official.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

this thread is dedicated to retro gaming in general, and a lot of us prefer original hardware, but to say that this thread is dedicated to playing games on original hardware is a bald-faced lie.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

For a thread dedicated to playing things on original hardware there sure is a lot of bullshit being thrown out right now.

E: I understand the irony of saying that since the NES classic is just an emulation box but it was official.

As a person who owns an official Neo Geo X, official ain't always what it's cracked up to be. Get a wii and hack it if you want your emuNES to say Nintendo on it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm a nintendo fanboy.

Things I have purposely not bought because I buy new products based on functionality, value, and fun......

NES Classic
Switch

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

The thing is that nobody discontinues a wildly successful product that can't even keep up with demand unless there's some significant reason for doing so. Yearly revisions of it with new ones each holiday season, for example, makes sense.

Even if everyone here is aware of that there are other options for emulation boxes, it was still a pretty cool product and obviously the general public really responded to it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shlomo Palestein posted:

As a person who owns an official Neo Geo X, official ain't always what it's cracked up to be. Get a wii and hack it if you want your emuNES to say Nintendo on it.

This.

Some people believe, and frankly I'm shocked Nintendo didn't do this going back to the OG Wii, is releasing an "NES Classics" compilation of sorts on Switch.

And speaking of hacking a Wii, I set one up at my mother's place, and since it's in a French town for fun I made a challenge for myself to include as many French NES games, both official and unofficial, on it. That was an interesting little project, as a bunch of games would have two different releases done by different people and comparing them had some interesting results, like there was one for River City Ransom that was more or less a verbatim translation of the English, and another which was super-creepy because the dude rewrote the "hostage" letter at the beginning and said something to the effect of Alex's girlfriend's virginity being at risk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm in the "2.0" camp as it gives Nintendo an excuse to rebrand it and patch it up. The thing sold several hundred thousand copies and the presence of the Switch isn't going to damper that demand even if they re-released the Classic's lineup at once. The target audience WAS the casual fans, the 80s kids who are parents now and remembered playing Mario in their parents' wood panel basement. Like my step dad who calls me and says "Hey, boy! Get me that Tecmo Bowl on Nintendo, son!" and never touches any other game.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

yeah uh the point of real hardware isn't that it's official it's that it doesn't suck in the particular ways emulation does. the NES mini isn't even designed by nintendo it's some european company's emubox with nintendo's seal of approval on it. like this is some really dumb poo poo to get mad about mang

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

But basically other than their bog-standard console stuff, never attempt to get Nintendo hardware, that way lies tears and madness.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

"I'll happily love Nintendo's brand-new good games BUT WHEN THEY MESS WITH 30 YEAR-OLD GAMES I'VE ALREADY PLAYED A BUNCH?!? GRRRR NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!!!@#"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So does anyone sell NES-style USB controllers (like with just B and A, not YXBA) that aren't pieces of poo poo?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

And speaking of hacking a Wii, I set one up at my mother's place, and since it's in a French town for fun I made a challenge for myself to include as many French NES games, both official and unofficial, on it. That was an interesting little project, as a bunch of games would have two different releases done by different people and comparing them had some interesting results, like there was one for River City Ransom that was more or less a verbatim translation of the English, and another which was super-creepy because the dude rewrote the "hostage" letter at the beginning and said something to the effect of Alex's girlfriend's virginity being at risk.

That second one sounds par for the course when it comes to fan translations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

That second one sounds par for the course when it comes to fan translations.

Definitely, but I went with the classic literal translation from the English version, if you can believe that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reminds me of this custom boxart oneida on NeoGAF got from his girlfriend:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Let's not forget this very thread's Secret Santa classics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Reminds me of this custom boxart oneida on NeoGAF got from his girlfriend:

The very lightly penciled flaming head doesn't show up very well, I'm afraid.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Also:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

edit: fixed hotlink

falz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 14, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The way I viewed the whole NES Classic getting discontinued was:

I have $60 in my pocket, over five Raspberry Pi in my home, not to mention an Everdrive N8 and so many other options. I thought the idea was cute. Hell, even $60 cute, sure. If I saw it on a shelf, I'd buy it. If it's not on a store shelf (online or otherwise) at the MSRP, I'm not gonna buy it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I mustered a "that kinda sucks, oh well" - there's just so many other options out there, and personally I haven't heard the "casual market" really bitching about not getting one - the people who have cared the most (IN MY EXPERIENCE) have all been pretty heavy gamers one way or another (be it retro, PC or current console) - largely not people who couldn't emulate otherwise.

:sax:

e: most of the casual market I know has also mustered a "that sucks, oh well"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The NES Classic is a neat little toy, and I am sad that people who want one won't be able to get one without paying stupid eBay money for it.

• Locked thread