Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's from walmart, they would have just left it in processing for months because gently caress walmart.

Real surprised they managed to not scalp their own stuff this time for higher than MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is the European version the same as the US?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
No.

It comes with a different plug and the box is a little different :downs:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

But the actual system is identical? They are on Amazon from a third party for $69 right now.

Edit: and can I add games like the US version?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm currently in Europe traveling, should I bring some back to the US?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You can't get them here either.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RodShaft posted:

But the actual system is identical? They are on Amazon from a third party for $69 right now.

Edit: and can I add games like the US version?

The actual system is identical, yes. Doesn't include an AC adapter at all but usb powering is easy to solve.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Awesome. I ordered this morning. My 2 coworkers who have been looking as well decided not to, and now they're back up to $150.

Hows the wireless controller solution? Aliexpress has a few 2.4 GHZ ones for under $10, are these ok? Can you use 2 at once? There's also a MyArcade brand one on amazon for $15. I'm in no hurry since I have old wii classic controllers. If it becomes a staple in the living room, I'd like to go wireless eventually, but doubling the cost of the system to get 8bitdo's seems overkill to me if others work.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
And it's gone...

quote:

Nintendo will discontinue the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition and the last shipments will go out to retailers throughout this month.

A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

“Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.”

Additionally, a representative told IGN, “NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.” The company has no plans to produce more NES Classic systems for North America. This announcement includes the discontinuation of the NES Classic Controller. As for third party accessories, Nintendo said the decision whether or not to continue production of accessories will be up to each individual manufacturer.

Nintendo of America would not confirm whether this announcement meant the discontinuation of the NES Classic/Famicom Mini worldwide. Nintendo said it had nothing to announce at this time regarding the future of the Nintendo Classics brand or the lifetime sales of the short-lived plug and play system.

The NES Classic Edition launched on November 10, 2016 and included 30 retro games from Nintendo's past. It immediately suffered from terrible supply issues at stores and online retailers. At the time, Nintendo said, “There will be a steady flow of additional systems through the holiday shopping season and into the new year,” and advised customers to check availability at retailers.

In January, Nintendo announced that the NES Classic Edition sold 1.5 million consoles at the company’s 3rd quarter fiscal results meeting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Selling more of those in six months than the WiiU over its lifetime would have been embarrassing as hell and also hilarious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

womp womp

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's Nintendo's angle here? Are they just unwilling to manufacture more of these hot, in demand devices? I want you to have my money, Nintendo. Why must you do this to me?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Probably because they'd rather just have Virtual Console sales, and less warranty/support to deal with.

That, or they'll take the criticism levelled at the NESC and correct it in a new "dedicated to old games" product. So instead of SNES or N64 Classic, it'll be a whole new box, with its own controller, SD card or SSHD options, supports every VC and WiiWare title, etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why the gently caress does everyone want one of those so bad NES games are hard and suck not to mention you can play them on like 20 different platforms

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK well I wasn't expecting that...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

SettingSun posted:

What's Nintendo's angle here? Are they just unwilling to manufacture more of these hot, in demand devices? I want you to have my money, Nintendo. Why must you do this to me?

Production isn't as simple as a call to the floor from the upstairs office. It takes time and money to produce the components, time and money to assemble them, time and money to ship and store them. I don't even know if Nintendo has their own dedicated production facilities, more likely they subcontract this stuff out of larger assembly focused companies like Foxconn. Instead of spending resources on a bundled system that they only sell for the cost of a game, they are probably more interested in shifting those resources to making the Switch and trying to convince people that rebuying these games individually (at a higher profit than an NES Classic) online is a better alternative.

I agree that these things should be all over the place but there are more factors than just Nintendo is being Nintendo at play.

e: I just want another loving controller without having to spend $60 or get a 3rd party one. I doubt that's ever going to happen at this point, though.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 13, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Meh give it like 4 minutes, someone will make a fairly convincing knock-off with all the games.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

univbee posted:

Meh give it like 4 minutes, someone will make a fairly convincing knock-off with all the games.

With literally all the games, this time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Maybe longer controller cables?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can already hack a legitimate NES Classic to inject all of the NES game ROMS available online into it, and have it auto search online for cover art and it drops them into the menu like they were always there. And you can look online and see 3d printed NES mini forms that people have been making since the thing launched in November. For the same price (probably cheaper) and some effort you can make a better one yourself.

Of course you won't get the awesome retro poster that comes with the real one but if you're gonna go through the effort to make your own you can probably get a high quality print of that poster as well.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

TheScott2K posted:

Selling more of those in six months than the WiiU over its lifetime would have been embarrassing as hell and also hilarious.

In Japan, the Famicom Mini sold more in 2016 than the Wii U.

SettingSun posted:

It's not unusual for companies to cull seemingly successful products if they feel that the product line has limited growth or those resources can be spent on higher margin products. Imagine you have three product lines:

1.) 3DS - A mature product with high margin software and some opportunities to upsell customers on online services/DLC but limited growth. It's an aging product line

2.) NES/Famicom Mini - A successful niche product with low margins and no ability to upsell customers on online services/DLC. It's purpose is to fill a gap in the lineup in the holiday and target lapsed Nintendo fans

3.) Switch - A successful new product with high margin software, a strong opportunity to upsell customers on online services/DLC, and potential for high growth. It's a new product

Now, the product #2 could be successful on its own but it doesn't have high margins or an opportunity to monetize users. Third-party partners have to be paid royalties for their licensed games. Its supply chain includes parts from a discontinued product (Wii). Do you throw more money behind it when you have a new and successful system with high growth? The NES Classic has already fulfilled its purpose of getting people interested in the Switch:

For another example, Microsoft under CEO Nadella cancelled/downsized products and services that were profitable but underperforming or just threading water. The reasoning was that resources could be shifted to products and services with extremely high margins or strong growth, such as Microsoft Windows, Office, and Azure. Microsoft is thought of as a company with unlimited capital but it too has to focus its resources to minimize opportunity cost.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The WiiU distraction console's production has ended :confused:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My guess? They will announce at E3 a special digital bundle version at E3 for $50. Also a SNES classic for next fall. That way every year the little hard ware is a nightmare to find, six months later, its "cheaper" to go digital with the switch.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Why the gently caress does everyone want one of those so bad NES games are hard and suck not to mention you can play them on like 20 different platforms

Because the presentation is great it only cost 60 bucks and you didn't have to deal with Linux or any other bullshit, and also not needing 20 different platforms to play 30 different games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Because the presentation is great it only cost 60 bucks and you didn't have to deal with Linux or any other bullshit, and also not needing 20 different platforms to play 30 different games.

Pretty much this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
"Low margin products"

Yeah there's no way Nintendo could up the price to say $70 or $80 considering they've been and are still selling online for hundreds of dollars a piece.

And this really isn't just a "kind of more successful than expected" product, either. It is so wildly successful that it flies off the shelves within minutes literally everywhere it is stocked, and has been doing that since the first day it was introduced.

Nintendo is literally throwing away a license to print money here. It is a staggeringly, dumbfoundingly retarded and frankly indefensible business decision.

This goes doubly so if Nintendo is not directly manufacturing them with their own plants because if that's the case, all it takes from Nintendo is to email the design documents and generate a PO for the manufacturer and they're done. No resources lost at all if the product is profitable, which it is. All the production tools are already in place as evidenced by the fact that these things have been produced already.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 13, 2017

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
nintendo dumb, so what

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I honestly just want a second controller. I managed to get one day of but I haven't seen any second controllers ever.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The_Rob posted:

I honestly just want a second controller. I managed to get one day of but I haven't seen any second controllers ever.

This is what's most surprising, I wanted to get like 10 of them for emulation boxes but they never got those in stock much so I only snagged one.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nintendo just killed the best-selling console of 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Nintendo just killed the best-selling console of 2016

It's the PSTV all over again. :smith:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

It's the PSTV all over again. :smith:

People actually wanted the Mini NES and it wasn't cleared out for $20.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dehry posted:

People actually wanted the Mini NES and it wasn't cleared out for $20.

They manufactured more than 6 PSTV's, I guess that's where they went wrong.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Vita TV was just a warehouse of Vita 1000 parts and PS3 controllers they had to clear out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lmao Nintendo is a profoundly stupid loving company

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Like a few people have said, Nintendo is an incredibly successful company. If they genuinely thought the return on invested capital was high enough, they absolutely would continue making them. They could sell a bajillion more but if the margin and long term return (DLC, accessories) isn't what they want it to be, I can very easily see them stopping production and moving on.

I agree with others that they see the demand and will investigate alternatives - whether it's NES like controllers that connect to the Switch with access to the Virtual Console, or even creating a mini NES like extension so the look is there.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Risky Bisquick posted:

The WiiU distraction console's production has ended :confused:

They're producing 16 million Switches this year?

That's where they'll focus Virtual Console from now on, anyway.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Are there any sources for a 2nd controller? 3rd party or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mutata posted:

Are there any sources for a 2nd controller? 3rd party or whatever?

There are a bunch on Amazon but they may have poo poo d-pads