Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

precision posted:

why not both?

Because any money they have available to spend making more NES classics would be better spent on switches.

I'm not saying they're being forced to not make em, but it's clear how they could make more money by dropping one for the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I will never, ever understand that company's decision-making process.

an actual dog posted:

Because any money they have available to spend making more NES classics would be better spent on switches.

Uh yeah that doesn't really seem like a safe bet to me. Switch's future is still a big question mark, and NES classic is still very sought after.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Uh yeah that doesn't really seem like a safe bet to me. Switch's future is still a big question mark, and NES classic is still very sought after.

You also can't sell more games for the NES classic though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You also can't sell more games for the NES classic though.

It's just that, in the incredibly unlikely event that Nintendo couldn't afford to manufacture the cheap and incredibly popular thing as well as the Switch because they're that bad at running their company, they're still picking "maybe money later" over "definitely money now".

There's no way to look at this that doesn't involve dozens of really bad decisions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
To my tiny brain, this makes the most sense if they are planning to release the entire library of the NES Classic on the switch. As like a bundle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

To my tiny brain, this makes the most sense if they are planning to release the entire library of the NES Classic on the switch. As like a bundle.

That still doesn't make sense to me because I know for a fact there's a bunch of people who would've bought or did buy a NES classic who have zero interest in a Switch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's more likely is that they're going to sell an NES classic II with different colors and a slightly different library next holiday

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Switch is sold out everywhere, lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:lol: at Nintendo discontinuing the NES Classic. I don't think much can even be added to that.

Anyways, finally beat Nier Automata and did everything. Got all endings, all trophies (I only bought the upskirt and play without pants ones), fully upgraded everything, beat all three hidden bosses and did all quests. Now I just have to read through the documents and I can FINALLY allow myself to move on to Persona 5.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tap my mountain posted:

Since we're posting hot takes, Super Metroid is the citizen kane of games

Citizen Kane is the Citizen Kane of Games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/385030/

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

It's like you don't know Nintendo at all

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

an actual dog posted:

The Switch is sold out everywhere, lol

People say this but I see them in my neighborhood Target from time to time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

loving beautiful.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Sorry thread title, I'm trying :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

People say this but I see them in my neighborhood Target from time to time.

Same.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

one day I'll go back and finish Vanquish and Binary Domain :sigh:

I played vanquish last year and binary domain now and its the wrong order.

Both are cool and very similar in tone, but vanquish plays like nothing else

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lurdiak posted:

I will never, ever understand that company's decision-making process.

Probably something like: we have 10 plants. 5 make Switch stuff. 1 makes NES Classic. 4 make <something else>.

Ok, we need to ramp up. Let's get another Switch plant on line. Let's run the numbers...boop beep calculating...due to some non-obvious factors (run rate, margin, yields, whatever) NES Classic plant is the least profitable. Mothball the NES Classic and retool its plant to make Switch stuff.

(Please note this is super duper simplified and totally not real but the basic concepts are there)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I hope that them discontinuing the NES classic means they are going to unveil switch VC soon

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

In Training posted:

What's more likely is that they're going to sell an NES classic II with different colors and a slightly different library next holiday

The NES Classic II will be a Switch dock in the shape of the NES Top Loader:

It comes with a wireless dogbone controllers and a voucher to redeem NES Classic games volume 2 on the Switch Virtual console store. However, the Classic II is only available for the winner of the Nintendo World Championships which is held once every ten years.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Probably something like: we have 10 plants. 5 make Switch stuff. 1 makes NES Classic. 4 make <something else>.

Ok, we need to ramp up. Let's get another Switch plant on line. Let's run the numbers...boop beep calculating...due to some non-obvious factors (run rate, margin, yields, whatever) NES Classic plant is the least profitable. Mothball the NES Classic and retool its plant to make Switch stuff.

(Please note this is super duper simplified and totally not real but the basic concepts are there)

Nintendo doesnt own plants they buy production runs from chinese contractors

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I wouldn't have expected that. Well, egg on my face.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I wouldn't have expected that. Well, egg on my face.

Foxconn specializes in making electronics of all sorts for many brands. They control labor, factories, etc and can get space tooled to make your product on demand. They have competitors too but everyone knows them because of the iphone suicide jumpers

Idk who nintendo got to make the classic but if they wanted more they would just have to pay for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well I was just taking my knowledge of the semiconductor industry (where when we drop product lines, it's because of what I just said, basically) and applying it to Nintendo, a company whose business side I know nothing about. More evidence that knowledge in Subject A does not translate to Subject B. At all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im talking outta my rear end btw

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Is there a word for that inability some people have to watch old black-and-white movies? I have that but for pre-SNES games

There's plenty of legit reasons to dislike old stuff beyond superficial reasons. Lots of old movies are objectively terrible by modern standards because of the Hayes code neutering their scripts and the way that most of them were glorified stage plays until Citizen Kane schooled everyone, lots of old games are similarly terrible because they were intentionally made obtuse and challenging as a way of combating rentals and selling players guides and hint hotlines on top of being broken messes that couldn't save your progress and had never been proofread by actual native English speakers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

There's plenty of legit reasons to dislike old stuff beyond superficial reasons. Lots of old movies are objectively terrible by modern standards because of the Hayes code neutering their scripts and the way that most of them were glorified stage plays until Citizen Kane schooled everyone,

you literally dont know what the hell you're talking about you loving dipshit

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Did Citizen Kane have one of the first jump scares in cinema?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

i guess the parrot counts, so yes

but lol at saying james cagney movies were neutered

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

guy mann, while watching pepe le moko: this is poo poo because it was made before citizen kane, the first ever good movie

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I think it was the one with the train going towards the audience

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Good one. This is Nintendo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
holy poo poo i had a dream of great detail and now i wanna make an rpg type game that's western and wild arms but without the :psyduck: japanese parts, which is good, but also with kemonos, which is maybe not so good

but i don't jump ship on projects so it's gonna have to wait a few years

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The most likely answer is that Nintendo is getting ready to roll out their Virtual Console, and continued NES Classic sales will cut into that market.

No, that doesn't make any sense, you're right, but that's Nintendo baybee

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

corn in the bible posted:

guy mann, while watching pepe le moko: this is poo poo because it was made before citizen kane, the first ever good movie

Gonna try to help him out by saying he did say they were "objective poo poo by modern standards" and maybe he thinks modern standards are bad? Don't get me wrong I think that's terrible phrasing and ultimately meaningless since I don't think anyone agrees on what "modern standards" are. Modern conventions maybe...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

holy poo poo i had a dream of great detail and now i wanna make an rpg type game that's western and wild arms but without the :psyduck: japanese parts, which is good, but also with kemonos, which is maybe not so good

but i don't jump ship on projects so it's gonna have to wait a few years

Write it down anyway. Maybe it will be your next cool project.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

There's plenty of legit reasons to dislike old stuff beyond superficial reasons. Lots of old movies are objectively terrible by modern standards because of the Hayes code neutering their scripts and the way that most of them were glorified stage plays until Citizen Kane schooled everyone, lots of old games are similarly terrible because they were intentionally made obtuse and challenging as a way of combating rentals and selling players guides and hint hotlines on top of being broken messes that couldn't save your progress and had never been proofread by actual native English speakers.

You are retarded my man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Curious. What is objectively terrible? If your argument is that something is terrible because legal or social pressures ban certain material then modern media also suffers from it and is objectively terrible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Some of the best Hollywood movies ever made were in the late 30s which is before Citizen Kane. Also glorified stage plays, what

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Some of the best Hollywood movies ever made were in the late 30s which is before Citizen Kane. Also glorified stage plays, what

A lot of American films of first decade of the 20th century were just filmed stage plays, but that's not what he's talking about probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Guy Mann probably hasn't even seen CK, it's just a movie people say was important so he picked it for his idiot statement without realizing why it was important or how ignorant that makes him look

• Locked thread