Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

ante posted:

Yeah, but instead get a NodeMCU, which is the same module but costs like a dollar more but has all of the power management and programming and header pins so you can actually use it.

Also doing anything reliable with an ESP8266 is probably a losing bet

My ESP8266 devices are way more reliable than my experience with Raspberry Pi's. There is something to be said for dramatically reduced complexity and soldered-on storage. Granted, most ESP8266 devices have 4 MB of storage or less, but sometimes that is enough.

SD cards suck, micro SD cards suck, devices that boot from them suck by extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of which, my nodemcu board arrived yesterday and nodemcu.com refuses to load. It came with 0 documentation, how do I communicate with this thing?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Do this, it's the best method I've found, and you don't have to use the garbage Arduino IDE or too may hacks
https://www.losant.com/blog/getting-started-with-platformio-esp8266-nodemcu

One more thing is that some versions of the NodeMCU use a CH340G chip to bridge USB - It's the largish black rectangular chip near the USB port. If it says that part number, you may need to Google for drivers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think I used this article, or one like it to get arduino IDE hooked up to my esp8266

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huzzah-esp8266-breakout/using-arduino-ide

or maybe this one

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/esp8266-thing-hookup-guide/installing-the-esp8266-arduino-addon

The nodemcu.com site is back up, at least here on the west coast

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks you two, the nodemcu site still doesn't load (Mountain West) so I'll try one of those guides tomorrow.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm thinking of throwing a Pi 3 out in the garage for PDFs and streaming. Is there a go-to small display that supports CEC?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Currently, I drag a laptop to and from work every day to slap in a docking station with KB/m/video so I can hop on the external wifi to YouTube/Shoutcast/Forums. Is there a flavor of pi with the horsepower to replace this so I don't have to lug around a laptop?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Toshimo posted:

Currently, I drag a laptop to and from work every day to slap in a docking station with KB/m/video so I can hop on the external wifi to YouTube/Shoutcast/Forums. Is there a flavor of pi with the horsepower to replace this so I don't have to lug around a laptop?

No, not even close.

You probably want an Intel NUC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Toshimo posted:

No. The Raspberry Pi 1 is equivalent in capability to a smartphone from 2006. The RPi 2 is equivalent to the capability of a smartphone from about 2009 but with worse graphics since they stay the same as the RPi 1. The RPi 3 is equivalent to a smartphone from about 2011 but with worse graphics because the GPU stayed the same as the 1 and 2.

At heart, they're really not capable enough to have music playing in the background while you browse a forum with a decent bit of images and have a youtube video hanging out in another tab. You can force it to do it, but it'll be annoyingly slow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

No, not even close.

You probably want an Intel NUC.

Or an Intel compute stick. It's basically the guts of a midgrade Chromebook, running either Linux or Windows, your choice. Runs about $79-120. It's not much larger than a USB memory stick

That said my mom has a NUC, with a VESA mount on the rear of her display, it's fantastic as her primary desktop PC. It's like a $300 iMac PC

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Toshimo posted:

There are these things called tablets that are right up your ally. Also, smart phones.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You could just buy a cheap laptop and leave it at work..

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

There are these things called tablets that are right up your ally. Also, smart phones.

I've considered using my phone as my main development machine with a keyboard/mouse/monitor and nobody has been able to convince me this is crazy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

xtal posted:

I've considered using my phone as my main development machine with a keyboard/mouse/monitor and nobody has been able to convince me this is crazy

What phone? What development?

There's valid combinations of answers, but most off the top of my head aren't.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

JawnV6 posted:

What phone? What development?

There's valid combinations of answers, but most off the top of my head aren't.

The important part I forgot to mention is the remote server that handles editing and compilation. All my Pixel has to do is shell in to an on-demand EC2 server with tmux, vim, Haskell, Rust, etc. This is pretty much an Android thin client since I live inside the console -- all the phone has to use is JuiceSSH. But trying to compile Haskell or Rust directly on the phone is admittedly impractical.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

xtal posted:

Iteratively Googling stuff when youre trying to solve a problem but not sure what to ask google is way faster on a modern computer.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Woot regularly has refurb chromebooks for $99. One of those would probably be perfect for your use case.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

xtal posted:

The important part I forgot to mention is the remote server that handles editing and compilation. All my Pixel has to do is shell in to an on-demand EC2 server with tmux, vim, Haskell, Rust, etc. This is pretty much an Android thin client since I live inside the console -- all the phone has to use is JuiceSSH. But trying to compile Haskell or Rust directly on the phone is admittedly impractical.

If all you're doing is SSH'ing in I see no problem with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's some blog about a guy who SSHes into a beefy VPS via his iPad over 3G, back in 2012. It's certainly doable. Some guy recently came up with a way to run VS Code on a Chromebook so that it looks like a regular Chromebook app (but really it's running through chroot magic). Once that gets sorted out without needing to root your Chromebook, you might be able to use a Chromebook as a dev machine.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I had mentioned it a while ago in this thread, but I've been working on a side project to set up TVs around the office with dashboards and metrics displays driven by Pis. I had to put it on the backburner for a while for various reasons, but I was finally able to put a lot of time into it and hit a good milestone. I also got approval to order a bunch of Pi 3's to replace all the aging Pi 1's someone set up years ago.

I've pretty much gotten things to the point where I can deploy requested dashboards to a TV within an hour using a hand-tailored Raspbian Lite image that boots and automatically displays URLs in Chromium kiosk mode and rotates the tabs. Once I get the networking team to set up DHCP reservations for the Pi's, managing them and updating them is pretty straightforward, although a few of them need to be hand-groomed (mostly playing with browser zoom) since we have all sorts of different TVs on each floor I'm managing.

My next milestone is setting up remote desktop on these, so I would be able to see exactly what's on each display and would make deployment and remote management much easier.

I also wonder if there's a better way to display metrics aside from just calling dashboard URLs scattered around the company network, but maybe I'm overthinking it. :v:

e: Well poo poo, that was easy. I just had to enable VNC via raspi-config and download VNC Viewer. :woop:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 4, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We're using chromecasts viewing a geckoboard in kiosk mode

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi-Finder#adafruit-raspberry-pi-finder

You might find that useful, it'll find a new pi on a network, ssh in and set a load of variables

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Pi-Finder#adafruit-raspberry-pi-finder

You might find that useful, it'll find a new pi on a network, ssh in and set a load of variables

That's cool. I always hate setting up a new Pi and digging around for cables to plug it in etc.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I should probably point out that recent versions of raspian have ssh disabled by default now

Stick a file called ssh with no extension on the fat partition of the card to enable it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You can configure all those things on the sd card before turning it on. Static IP, wifi password, public keys, etc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've got an old nonfunctional MacBook Pro (summer 2009 model, 13"). Is taking the screen out of it and using it for a Pi project something that's feasible, or does Apple pretty much completely lock that poo poo down and make it impossible to reuse this display for any other purpose?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Drone posted:

I've got an old nonfunctional MacBook Pro (summer 2009 model, 13"). Is taking the screen out of it and using it for a Pi project something that's feasible, or does Apple pretty much completely lock that poo poo down and make it impossible to reuse this display for any other purpose?

It's not "locked down" in a DRM kind of sense, but you will need to source an LCD driver board compatible with the panel in order to convert it to a usable signal and connector format. Same steps apply to reusing pretty much any bare LCD panel.

You can get driver boards on eBay, but you'll need to know the exact model of the panel.

I'd just sell the whole laptop as "For parts." You would probably make more than enough cash to cover a ready-to-use display.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Drone posted:

Here's the process in a nutshell:

https://youtu.be/6SOXMDb4cjI

Could be something fun to do if you like tinkering.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Drone posted:

I have an old PowerPC mac mini - last power on was working - no idea what to do with it except use as a door stop

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheresaJayne posted:

I have an old PowerPC mac mini - last power on was working - no idea what to do with it except use as a door stop

The only thing those are good for is selling to people who need to keep running obscure PowerPC-only software.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I'm going to be hooking up an old 1TB 3.5" External Hard Drive (via USB -> SATA) hard drive enclosure. I'm obviously going to need a powered USB hub for this right? Or will a Pi3 power this by itself? If the former, is there a de facto Pi USB Hub recommended, or just buy whatever?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

eightysixed posted:

I'm going to be hooking up an old 1TB 3.5" External Hard Drive (via USB -> SATA) hard drive enclosure. I'm obviously going to need a powered USB hub for this right? Or will a Pi3 power this by itself? If the former, is there a de facto Pi USB Hub recommended, or just buy whatever?

All the 3.5" enclosures that I know of require external power, but maybe they exist and I'm just bad at searching. That being said, a pi3 should be able to provide 5v output on its USB ports but I don't know the max amperage. Either way a powered hub is probably not necessary, I would definitely try it out before spending money.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eightysixed posted:

If it's USB powered you will definitely need a powered hub, 3.5 inch hard drives draw upwards of 1.5 amps at load from a 5 volt supply. This is why most enclosures for them use their own power adapters. A Pi 3 just can't handle that, even a lot of full on computers will have trouble serving that load.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Maybe more recent ones can run on 5V only but I just checked the label on one of my 3.5" drives and it needs up to 0.35A of 12V, so unless you have a transformer no amount of 5V current from USB is going to get you there anyway. I don't think I've ever seen a 3.5" enclosure that didn't require a 12V adapter to operate.

e: Actually, no - I have seen a recent Seagate external 3.5" with only a Type-C port but I think it either needed USB-PD support or something really high like 4A, don't remember for sure.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 10, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eletriarnation posted:

Maybe more recent ones can run on 5V only but I just checked the label on one of my 3.5" drives and it needs up to 0.35A of 12V, so unless you have a transformer no amount of 5V current from USB is going to get you there anyway. I don't think I've ever seen a 3.5" enclosure that didn't require a 12V adapter to operate.

HDDs require 12 V, 5 V, and 3.3 V supply, so there are multiple DC–DC converters in the enclosure no matter how you slice it.

If you’re designing an enclosure that plugs into the wall, 12 V from the brick with internal stepdown is the clear best choice, but if you want it to be bus‐powered, you have to accept whatever the bus provides.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 10, 2017

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

e: Actually, no - I have seen a recent Seagate external 3.5" with only a Type-C port but I think it either needed USB-PD support or something really high like 4A, don't remember for sure.

Not counting conversion losses, .35A of 12V is only .84A at 5v, so it's still not crazy high. Pi 3 is rated at max total peripheral draw of 1.2A, so if that was the only thing hooked up, it could theoretically do it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I want to stop using Raspbian for my little projects and switch to using plain Linux with init=myprogram and no process management. Is there anything that exists that takes in a binary program and gives me a bootable Linux image with it as pid 1? (Would it be helpful if I made it or are there better ideas?)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I haven't used it but Intel's Yocto project is meant to build custom linux distributions and has support for the Pi: http://www.jumpnowtek.com/rpi/Raspberry-Pi-Systems-with-Yocto.html

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

zharmad posted:

Not counting conversion losses, .35A of 12V is only .84A at 5v, so it's still not crazy high. Pi 3 is rated at max total peripheral draw of 1.2A, so if that was the only thing hooked up, it could theoretically do it.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/

Yeah, my memory was more pessimistic than reality about the Seagate USB-C external. Turns out it only needs 1.5A, not bad at all. The integrated LiPo battery probably helps a lot with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

I haven't used it but Intel's Yocto project is meant to build custom linux distributions and has support for the Pi: http://www.jumpnowtek.com/rpi/Raspberry-Pi-Systems-with-Yocto.html

Or just take a Raspbian image and overwrite /sbin/init? :shobon: