Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Westbrook
Go Bear
Brogdon idk
Greek Freek
D'Antoni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Strawberry Panda posted:

So you believe the Heat should have been a 50+ win team?

Of course not. Like everybody else I thought they'd win in the mid 30s. But to give credit for exceeding that in the second half of the season without taking into account that he couldn't win any games in the first half seems needlessly reductive.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
James Harden's bum rear end wasn't even good enough to make an All-NBA team last year and this year he may be the MVP. D'Antoni is a miracle worker

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19144679/2016-17-postseason-award-expert-picks has a bunch of ESPN pundit's picks, looks like Russ will win MVP

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

It's interesting how much better the Hawks are when dumpster tier players Dennis Schroeder and Dwight Howard don't play. They should continue this strategy in the playoffs.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ragle posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19144679/2016-17-postseason-award-expert-picks has a bunch of ESPN pundit's picks, looks like Russ will win MVP

Just lol if draymond gets dpoty

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

Westbrook
Go Bear
Brogdon idk
Greek Freek
D'Antoni
No Beans
Not Healthy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Eh. I can see a reasonable defense for Dray, though I would go bear.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Shear Modulus posted:

even though kawhi should win the mvp this year i wouldn't call him a hall of famer yet

WHY WOULD HE NOT GET INTO THE HALL HE HAS A FINALS MVP!!!
haha he's only like 25 years old it's crazy how winning constantly is somehow not flashy

Fast Luck posted:

What if when Pop retires the Spurs keep rolling along and it turns out Pop is a system coach

I believe the NBA thread would do the right thing and choose not to disrespect the caterpillar by only raving about the butterfly and honor Pop for establishing such a viable system.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I don't know why everyone wants to give Spo coty for coaching a playoff caliber team to a 9-30 start. That seems like the opposite thing the coty should be doing.

Aldridge played like a good defender and third option for a lot of his time on the Spurs. Pop doesn't deserve coach of the year though, he's going to do that thing where he trusts Tony Parker despite him losing the game and it's going to cost the spurs. My worry is that it will cost them in the first round too.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Before the preseason I told a pal on twitter the five best players in the NBA this year were
1. LEB
2. RON
3. JAM
4. ES!
5. Revenge Westbrook

LeBron is about to do his Playoffs LeBron thing and prove all that but I also think the Westbrook thing turned out true and he gets my MVP vote, which is a thing that does not exist.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Spent like ten seconds trying to figure out who RON was.

He's first or second in pretty much any defensive stat, so why would it be weird?

Lots of people giving it to Kawhi when he went through long stretches of not defending real well.

I'd vote Gobert though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

So justise Winslow is a giant bust, yeah?

He's still only 21 and has some NBA skills so I think it's a bit premature. He's a bust though if he can't fix that broken rear end jumpshot. Definitely not starter quality material right now.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

I don't know why everyone wants to give Spo coty for coaching a playoff caliber team to a 9-30 start. That seems like the opposite thing the coty should be doing.

Aldridge played like a good defender and third option for a lot of his time on the Spurs. Pop doesn't deserve coach of the year though, he's going to do that thing where he trusts Tony Parker despite him losing the game and it's going to cost the spurs. My worry is that it will cost them in the first round too.

dokmo posted:

Don't know why he should get credit for the second half but a pass on the first half.
Hah, you guys are bein' silly and out-clevering yourselfs. People aren't ignoring the first half of the season, they're recognizing that Spoelstra improved the team. Taking individually losing players and turning them into a winning team is kinda the Greek Ideal of a Great Coach or whatever. Spoelstra is apparently quite capable of adjusting and figuring out how to make use of the tools available to him.

Also to the first thing, Bashez is always doing silly anti-Spurs Greatness trolling. Pop should get COTY every year until he retires because:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4hxm6DDTFs
is a beautiful symphony that requires a standing ovation until the moment he is not longer performing

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

God just look at what they're doing to LeBron. Haha who called it watching John Henry lose to the steam drill?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"If you're going to skip one game to decrease the frequency of injury, you might as well skip the whole season!"- future Orlando Magic coach Jeff Van Gundy

that was a real ear beating but I'm glad I stuck it out for JVG's description of his halftime routine

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Best/worst shooting for the season:

code:
Player			NP
Isaiah Thomas		440.44
James Harden		435.36
Stephen Curry		396.72
Karl-Anthony Towns	393.68
LeBron James		376.36
Kevin Durant		360.04
Kawhi Leonard		342.48
Bradley Beal		306.52
Giannis Antetokounmpo	305.72
Rudy Gobert		304.56

Ish Smith		-35.88
Cameron Payne		-36.52
Malcolm Delaney		-37.92
Brandon Ingram		-40.16
Michael Carter-Williams	-42.88
Rajon Rondo		-45
Kris Dunn		-45.96
Stanley Johnson		-49.32
Justise Winslow		-49.68
Semaj Christon		-53.64
While PG shooting has been more dominant than ever KAT also had one of the better shooting seasons for a C:

code:
Player			NP	  Season
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	480.92    1972
Amar'e Stoudemire	473.96    2008
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	453.36    1971
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	441.56	  1980
Artis Gilmore		437.12    1982
Wilt Chamberlain	421 	  1967
Artis Gilmore		418.92	  1981
Shaquille O'Neal	412	  1994
Artis Gilmore		409.76	  1985
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	395.12	  1981
Amar'e Stoudemire	394.2	  2005
Karl-Anthony Towns	393.68    2017
David Robinson		393.12	  1991
Patrick Ewing		388.88	  1990
David Robinson		378.32	  1995
Artis Gilmore		372.76	  1983
Dennis Rodman Reveals How Pearl Jam Saved His Life
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/dennis-rodman-reveals-pearl-jam-saved-life-062448382.html

Steph Curry And The Warriors Re-Write The Record Books Again
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steph-curry-warriors-write-record-134655130.html

So justise Winslow is a giant bust, yeah?

I'd say to give him a few more years of awful shooting for confirmation.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Also to the first thing, Bashez is always doing silly anti-Spurs Greatness trolling. Pop should get COTY every year until he retires because:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4hxm6DDTFs
is a beautiful symphony that requires a standing ovation until the moment he is not longer performing

It's somewhat recency bias but the 2013-2014 (and also the 12-13 one) team is my favorite Spurs team ever and I was heartbroken when Manu, Diaw, and Parker all got a lot worse in 14-15 and the whole thing fell apart and the offense got a lot less pretty because now the best play every possession is to rely on Kawhi and/or Aldridge (yes I know this is spoiled Spurs fan bitching).

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 13, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It's kinda funny to see Westbrook dinged for his efficiency, because he put up the most FGA of his entire career (and the most since Kobe in 05/06!) and still finished with a career-best true shooting percentage

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Zogo posted:

code:
Ish Smith		-35.88
Cameron Payne		-36.52
Malcolm Delaney		-37.92
Brandon Ingram		-40.16
Rajon Rondo		-45
Kris Dunn		-45.96
Stanley Johnson		-49.32
Justise Winslow		-49.68
Semaj Christon		-53.64

Love a metric that shows Bulls PGs with 3 of the worst 9 shooting seasons this year, and another one they highly coveted at #4. What a weird little front office

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Imagine how much better OKC would be trotting out Cam Payne instead of Semaj Christon

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

Love a metric that shows Bulls PGs with 3 of the worst 9 shooting seasons this year, and another one they highly coveted at #4. What a weird little front office

Fred Hoiberg for COY. He coached this garbage fire of a roster to the playoffs something that alleged COY candidate Spo couldn't do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

xbilkis posted:

It's kinda funny to see Westbrook dinged for his efficiency, because he put up the most FGA of his entire career (and the most since Kobe in 05/06!) and still finished with a career-best true shooting percentage

I think the "ding" is just in comparison to Harden and Kawhi, who put up all-time great efficiencies. No one should be seriously arguing Westbrook didn't massively help his team. The agrument isn't "Is Westbrook great or not" it's "Is he the best player this season or the 2nd/3rd best?"

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickRoweFillea posted:

Westbrook
Go Bear
Brogdon idk
Greek Freek
D'Antoni

This is correct. Maybe Saric.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lockback posted:

I think the "ding" is just in comparison to Harden and Kawhi, who put up all-time great efficiencies. No one should be seriously arguing Westbrook didn't massively help his team. The agrument isn't "Is Westbrook great or not" it's "Is he the best player this season or the 2nd/3rd best?"

Yeah, I get that you have to make tough distinctions to judge who had the best season this year. Before I looked it up, I just hadn't realized the degree to which Westbrook had managed to maintain his efficiency while putting up the highest USG% of all time

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/_MarcusD2_/status/852364387935539200

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

xbilkis posted:

In the same way the world's tallest midget is not something to be celebrated, a career best that is still below league average is not that big a deal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I mean if you want to say stats don't matter just give it to the coolest dude just be upfront about that and don't use dumb stats to support the case.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MVP: Kawhi Leonard
Harden
Westbrook
Lebron
IT

DPOY: Gobert
Draymond
DeAndre Jordan

ROY: Saric
Brogdan
Hield

MIP: Giannis
Jokic
Westbrook

COY: D'Antoni
Popovich
Spo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

code:
Player			NP
Isaiah Thomas		440.44
James Harden		435.36
Stephen Curry		396.72
Karl-Anthony Towns	393.68
LeBron James		376.36
Kevin Durant		360.04
Kawhi Leonard		342.48
Bradley Beal		306.52
Giannis Antetokounmpo	305.72
Rudy Gobert		304.56

Ish Smith		-35.88
Cameron Payne		-36.52
Malcolm Delaney		-37.92
Brandon Ingram		-40.16
Rajon Rondo		-45
Kris Dunn		-45.96
Stanley Johnson		-49.32
Justise Winslow		-49.68
Semaj Christon		-53.64
While PG shooting has been more dominant than ever KAT also had one of the better shooting seasons for a C:

I'd say to give him a few more years of awful shooting for confirmation.

poor Ish. He was shooting a decent percentage during the time when KCP/Leueuer/Morris weren't shooting like 30% from three as a collective , and Drummond was still trying. He's not a good shooter but he really goes out of his way to not shoot, but because of Reggie Jackson's knees becoming like camel bones scraping against each other as a haboob blows in, had to play and shoot much more than anyone expected.
Stanley Johnson is a haircut away from a decent shooting percentage, Justice too. You can even say that for cam payne. Semaj Christon has very short hair and so does Kris Dunn.

I think the Nets will still offer Caldwell Pope a max offer sheet, but his shooting really plummeted once Drummond gave up, and that's with Drummond still not having any idea how to pass out of double teams, just his gravity as a roll man. Or other teams gathering to laugh at his post ups. I think Shaq might have had the same secret conversation with Drummond as he had in public with Dwight Howard.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 14, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Ish actually had a career shooting year. He's still not particularly good but it's uplifting to see a guy persist as much as he has and kind of make it

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

xbilkis posted:

A lot of dumb people are consumed with trying to seem like the smartest person in the room

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MVP Westbrook
COY Pop
Rookie Embiid

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Bad news for the Grizz. https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/852636005798731779

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Wow Hennigan has already been fired .

It seemed like an obvious case of ownership demanding playoffs NOW, a GM scrambling to put together a win now team from a team of developmental young players with flaws, that team floundering, GM fired. The Ibaka trade showed they either really believed in the Gordon as sf thing, which failed totally and he played really well as a 4 once Ibaka was traded, or that he figured he was gone and was just doing a favor for his old boss so he'd have a job somewhere

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mharrisCSN/status/852590804778573824

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

One day I'm going to take and pass the MCAT based on poo poo I learn from nba tweets

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The amount of Brogdon support is bizarre, but it's TYOOL 2017 and fake news lives.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

xbilkis posted:

the key words there are "career-best" He's a great player, but he's also a shameless chucker

Harden scored almost as many points as Westbrook while taking 400(!) less shots. Harden also led the league in assists.

I really don't see how a 29/11/8 stat line (with extreme efficiency) is less impressive than a 31/10/11 stat line with lousy efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lockback posted:

this

• Locked thread