Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

That's not exactly true. It has a long half life, but you definitely clear it out of your body. If you managed to not ingest or inhale any mercury whatsoever, you would eliminate all the mercury in your body in about a year.

Actually no:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0041008X13005644

quote:

Estimates from modelling studies appear sensitive to model assumptions, however predications based on a long half-life (27.4 years) are consistent with autopsy findings. In summary, shorter estimates of half-life are not supported by evidence from animal studies, human case studies, or modelling studies based on appropriate assumptions. Evidence from such studies point to a half-life of inorganic mercury in human brains of several years to several decades. This finding carries important implications for pharmcokinetic modelling of mercury and potentially for the regulatory toxicology of mercury.

The exact "half-life" isn't clear and needs more study but research shows older estimates that mercury is eliminated after a year or two are inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

At my grandfathers brothers funeral a couple years ago one of his friends is making a speech about what a great guys he is and just drops the fact that he used to steal gravel lmao.

lol victimless crime.

when my grandfather had the heart attack that would kill him four days later, he casually admitted he had another family over the mountain he never told my dad about.

luckily they'd all died by that point but things were super awkward for a while

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My uncle shot himself in the head in the basement...

I never went down there again...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

Actually no:

The exact "half-life" isn't clear and needs more study but research shows older estimates that mercury is eliminated after a year or two are inaccurate.

On a phone now, but there is a ton of evidence that mercury elimination doesn't take that long. And the year to eliminate figure is based on an impossible thing, which is no absorption of mercury, so its a theoretical limit. Your body reaches a steady state where ingestion is about equal to excretion, so you claim that mercury is never removed from the body is inaccurate.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I love Leperflesh but I think I might side with the medical doctor on this one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

On a phone now, but there is a ton of evidence that mercury elimination doesn't take that long. And the year to eliminate figure is based on an impossible thing, which is no absorption of mercury, so its a theoretical limit. Your body reaches a steady state where ingestion is about equal to excretion, so you claim that mercury is never removed from the body is inaccurate.

I'm not an expert on this so I'm interested in learning. No doubt I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing with quick and easy googling.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Dear God

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah...

That photo is so loving sad. The photographer killed himself after he took it.

Anyways....

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah...

That photo is so loving sad. The photographer killed himself after he took it.

Anyways....

gently caress dude, it's just a steak.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leperflesh posted:

Actually no:

Ok, that study is for inorganic mercury. So time to science up this bitch!

Mercury is absorbed into the body in three different forms: inorganic, ionized, and methlymercury (also called organic mercury). Regardless of the form ingested, ultimately they are converted to ionic mercury, which binds to suflhydryl groups and is ultimately excreted in poop. Now, where does it come from? Organic and ionic mercury come from the earth and industrial processes, where microorganisms convert it to methylmercury and that is how it enter the food chain. So mercury from fish is methylmercury. Inorganic mercury is a pollutant and found in tons of industrial and even household chemicals. While inorganic mercury isn't absorbed through the GI tract well, it vaporizes easily and the lungs absorb it quite well. So depending on where you live and your diet, the total mercury content in your body can vary depending on the sources. Inorganic mercury doesn't move through the body well, and it it ends up in a certain environment, it can basically be trapped, which is why you see such a huge half life for that. Still, the body has mechanisms to turn into an ionized form and clear it out with proteins that it disrupts.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

"Tacos can't look good" - 31 year old waiter 10 years into the job

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Guy who can't get over himself.

Discord man*

:golfclap:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

Ok, that study is for inorganic mercury. So time to science up this bitch!

Mercury is absorbed into the body in three different forms: inorganic, ionized, and methlymercury (also called organic mercury). Regardless of the form ingested, ultimately they are converted to ionic mercury, which binds to suflhydryl groups and is ultimately excreted in poop. Now, where does it come from? Organic and ionic mercury come from the earth and industrial processes, where microorganisms convert it to methylmercury and that is how it enter the food chain. So mercury from fish is methylmercury. Inorganic mercury is a pollutant and found in tons of industrial and even household chemicals. While inorganic mercury isn't absorbed through the GI tract well, it vaporizes easily and the lungs absorb it quite well. So depending on where you live and your diet, the total mercury content in your body can vary depending on the sources. Inorganic mercury doesn't move through the body well, and it it ends up in a certain environment, it can basically be trapped, which is why you see such a huge half life for that. Still, the body has mechanisms to turn into an ionized form and clear it out with proteins that it disrupts.

Wow OK! I knew there were different molecular forms of mercury but I wasn't aware of the differences in retention.

I'm happy to learn that my life-long fish addiction probably hasn't excessively poisoned my brain from accumulation over all that period.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Thanks for posting the world's saddest taco RG3. I'm going to nola in 2 weeks and I was afraid I wouldn't fully appreciate the food.

Now I can compare what I could be eating to what I am eating

So hyped for some Brothers Food Mart fried chicken though

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

MLB the show is good

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ZenVulgarity posted:

MLB the show is good

The ramp up in difficulty kills me. I don't mind it being harder exactly, but my RTTS guy goes from a 380/410/700 hitter in triple A to like a 250/313 (IMPROVED PLATE DISCIPLINE, KINDA!)/350 major leaguer.

I don't understand why my power disappears so much on pitches I do manage to make good contact with

Having said that, yes, it is good..

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Couterpoint: John Denver is okay, Country Roads is cool. Did you know that Country Roads isn't about West Virginia, but the western part of Virginia? I'm not hundred percent sure that's true but my best friend told me that when we were 18 and blind drunk on Wild I so shut up it is absolutely true.

The swath of Appalachia from Asheville into like Knoxville, up through western Virginia,, eastern Kentucky, West Virginia, and through central Pennsylvania is some of the most beautiful landscape in the world imo

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The swath of Appalachia from Asheville into like Knoxville, up through western Virginia,, eastern Kentucky, West Virginia, and through central Pennsylvania is some of the most beautiful landscape in the world imo

Very much agreed.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'd toss in greater East Tennessee to that list. I just drove across country hitting around 10 states and the portion of blue ridge parkway was the most beautiful part of the trip. Arkansas was by far the most depressing.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Grittybeard posted:

If you're going to wear hats of teams that you aren't directly a fan of minor league baseball is the way to go. Tell him to get a Lugnuts or Lookouts hat.

Chattanooga owns. It OWNS

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd toss in greater East Tennessee to that list. I just drove across country hitting around 10 states and the portion of blue ridge parkway was the most beautiful part of the trip. Arkansas was by far the most depressing.

Chattanooga owns. It Owns.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Would it be possible to have a multi-sport portfolio of teams with friendly cartoon bird mascots, like Oregon Ducks and the Orioles? All the NFL birds look angry I think, and Anaheim Ducks sadly abandoned the Disney hockey mask.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I love my dumb gay football team but the Ravens emblem sucks. That original weird shield with bird wings was pretty alright but I'm still holding out hope for a photo-realistic Raven a la 90s orioles.

Sidenote: The Ravens original emblem was stolen from a fan who only wanted notice for his contribution. They also made his idea shittier.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Got side swiped last night. They left all their info at least. What in the fucken heck

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Got side swiped last night. They left all their info at least. What in the fucken heck

is this you're car

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Arkansas was by far the most depressing.
You can't spell "Arkansas" without "Kansas"

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I drive a Lesbaru Outback.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
5 Ring Shrimp I'm sorry you almost died last night in a car accident.

I'm glad you survived.

Happy Friday guys!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

weekend plans:

play with dogs

play video games

continue orange is the new black binge

kill myself

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ehud posted:

weekend plans:

play with dogs

play video games

kill myself

continue orange is the new black binge

That's probably a better sequence of events for you.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ehud I love the "We work in an office" thread in GBS.

Especially on Fridays.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That's probably a better sequence of events for you.

does the show get bad because I am 6 episodes in and it's good

A Man and his dog posted:

Ehud I love the "We work in an office" thread in GBS.

Especially on Fridays.

yeah that took on a life of its own. I started it because this guy I work with always seems so miserable but tries to put a smile on and deal with his crappy life and then somehow it just became the office crew thread.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you like that office thread, read the corporate bitching thread in bfc.

That thread got me through a lot of hard times.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can you link it please?

I have to read this.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I love my dumb gay football team but the Ravens emblem sucks. That original weird shield with bird wings was pretty alright but I'm still holding out hope for a photo-realistic Raven a la 90s orioles.

Sidenote: The Ravens original emblem was stolen from a fan who only wanted notice for his contribution. They also made his idea shittier.

He was actually a security guard for the team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

does the show get bad because I am 6 episodes in and it's good

The show is really good.

Piper becomes unbearable after awhile, but she's supposed to and the show stops focusing on her at a point.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Kalli posted:

Piper becomes unbearable after awhile, but she's supposed to and the show stops focusing on her at a point.
This is good to know but I'm not going back. I watched two seasons and blah. Not worth it.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Eli Wiggum posted:

You can't spell "Arkansas" without "Kansas"
have you seen the Arkansas flag? Utter garbage.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hi i see yall talking a lot about fish god bless

also mst3k out today :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Stfu Mel you live in PA.

• Locked thread