Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
North Korea may have launched several missiles Wednesday: Kyodo

I'd say this is in response to the Rex Tillerson's recent comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
According to the BBC, they laid a huge fart.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39300275

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/us/politics/north-korea-nuclear-trump-china.html

quote:

The online ad reads like something only a metallurgist could love: an offer to sell 22 pounds of highly pure lithium 6 every month, set for delivery from the port of Dandong, China.

But it caught the attention of intelligence agencies around the world for a simple reason: Lithium 6 offers a fast way to turn an ordinary atom bomb into a hydrogen bomb, magnifying its destructive power by up to 1,000 times. The seller listed in the ad — who even provided his cellphone number — was identified in a recent United Nations report as the third secretary in the North Korean Embassy in Beijing.
[...]
But experts say the lithium ad — with its implication that the North is happy to sell an excess supply of the precious material — suggests that it is far too late to prevent the nation from becoming an advanced nuclear power.
Were they seriously trying to sell the lithium? Or was this just a weird way to advertise their nuclear capability?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mystes posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/us/politics/north-korea-nuclear-trump-china.html

Were they seriously trying to sell the lithium? Or was this just a weird way to advertise their nuclear capability?

If the best the NYT has is "this unverified online ad on an unspecified site had the name of a North Korean official on it", there's no guarantee it's even a real North Korean ad. Even if it is, it's almost certainly elaborate posturing rather than a real attempt to sell nuclear materials - especially as many reports on the subject note that other than this ad, there isn't any particular evidence that North Korea actually has lithium-6.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am very disappointed that none of the article links to aaid craislust ad.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

If the best the NYT has is "this unverified online ad on an unspecified site had the name of a North Korean official on it", there's no guarantee it's even a real North Korean ad. Even if it is, it's almost certainly elaborate posturing rather than a real attempt to sell nuclear materials - especially as many reports on the subject note that other than this ad, there isn't any particular evidence that North Korea actually has lithium-6.

Even if they did have some that is a lot of it to be selling every month.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

mystes posted:

Honestly it wouldn't be surprising if they put it on there as a lark and a giant middle finger. I think there was the UN ambassador quoted as saying a while back something like "You can put new sanctions on us but we'll just find ways around it anyway", which sort of explains their mentality on poo poo like this. If they didn't want it advertised, there's many ways they could have masked it instead of putting a drat craigslist ad out there. Instead, they chose the way that garners the most attention, which, if true, was their goal all along.

Then again, who knows! It's the internet and it could have been someone bored.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It is such a bizarrely specific thing to fake post though, if it was fake it might've been a honeypot or something.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

True, so it could be a totally f you - wouldn't be totally out of line for the DPRK

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So how many pounds of lithium 6 would a typical country with a nuclear program like the US or Russia be expected to have on hand? I'm trying to get context for how much having access to 22 pounds of it to sell each month is in relation to that.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

fishmech posted:

So how many pounds of lithium 6 would a typical country with a nuclear program like the US or Russia be expected to have on hand? I'm trying to get context for how much having access to 22 pounds of it to sell each month is in relation to that.

So let me preface this by saying I am absolutely NOT an expect on nuclear weapons or the like, but I found a couple of articles about lithium as a whole (apparently you can do some sort of crazy physics to get to Lithium-6, and I can't really find anything that says how much stockpile each country has):

https://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/lithium/mcs-2016-lithi.pdf - this is the amount of lithium on hand worldwide (I think)

http://isis-online.org/isis-reports/detail/north-koreas-lithium-6-production-for-nuclear-weapons - this is a report about NK's lithium-6 production (doesn't have huge data because hell, you can't get poo poo out of the country)

According to people who study this and are vastly smarter than I am, 22 pounds suggests they at least have a robust production facility, but not at the levels of Russia and China (the US ceased Lithium-6 producting in 1963 apparently)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Informative article about a shopping center for the small middle class in NK
http://38north.org/2017/04/rfrank040617/

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fishmech posted:

the most fishmech post

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Informative article about a shopping center for the small middle class in NK
http://38north.org/2017/04/rfrank040617/

I liked this tidbit:

quote:

It seems that notes smaller than 100 Won are not being used; instead, locally made chewing gum is offered to customers as small change, each stick worth 50 Won.

Making your currency edible seems like a risky move in NK.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

the most fishmech post

it's also relevant though???

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trump planning to make US sailors see a second sunrise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i remeber hearing were are sending a fleet there and now it seems like even more, sounds like trump is trying to goad NK into attacking it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Any likelihood that the Norks will take the bait? For once, they're not the only irrational actor in this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Any likelihood that the Norks will take the bait? For once, they're not the only irrational actor in this.

thats what worries me. in the old days, we would just ignore them or have china bribe them off. now we have president tiny dick sending the imperial fleet with all the poo poo to sit over there while screaming openly for decapitation of the NK government. if there is any president that shouldn't handle poo poo like this, its him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

The one thing that's kept North Korea from pulling any really stupid poo poo has been that nobody has actually wanted to go to war with them. The regime remains (relatively) comfortable by using the constant existential threat of an invasion that never comes to keep its citizens in line and supportive, and nobody wants to invade because Kim is constantly at risk of pulling the trigger on either a nuke of some sort or all the guns pointed at Seoul if the threat becomes legitimate.

Trump is currently running the risk of going too far with his intimidation. If the North Korean government actually has legitimate belief that an invasion is going to occur, I don't think they'll wait to shoot back.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

when is the fleet going to arrive there?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I honestly sort of doubt Trump is really making the plans here. I imagine the military brass is flattering him and presenting response options where plan A is to do nothing and plan B is to execute the courageous manly plan that effete Obama never had the courage to carry out. :rolleyes:

That said, a world where the State Department no longer exists and the military is leading a moronic president around by the nose is not in any way comforting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not a big fan of the U.S. military, but I'm not sure they're licking their lips at the idea of regime change in North Korea. Now, an attack to put the regime in its place, that I can believe.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Another nuke test inbound

either tomorrow or the day after'

maybe the 15th for the big boy's big day

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The US military and North Korea posture at each other like this all the time. It's not exactly big news.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Except no president ever said they were sending in an armada.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

The US military and North Korea posture at each other like this all the time. It's not exactly big news.

True.

What's making people nervous is Kim and Trump are in charge now and the risk of either of them doing something that leads to war is higher than if others were in charge.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

chitoryu12 posted:

The one thing that's kept North Korea from pulling any really stupid poo poo has been that nobody has actually wanted to go to war with them. The regime remains (relatively) comfortable by using the constant existential threat of an invasion that never comes to keep its citizens in line and supportive, and nobody wants to invade because Kim is constantly at risk of pulling the trigger on either a nuke of some sort or all the guns pointed at Seoul if the threat becomes legitimate.

Trump is currently running the risk of going too far with his intimidation. If the North Korean government actually has legitimate belief that an invasion is going to occur, I don't think they'll wait to shoot back.

Victor Cha style analysis usually gets laughed out of this thread, hth.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Unconfirmed as yet, but...
https://twitter.com/pearswick/status/852374410400899072

Edit:
https://twitter.com/pearswick/status/852375675524628480

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

i'm more worried Trump will go Gulf of Tonkin as an excuse

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kim trolling the news media. Cool

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
IIRC, "big announcements" that turn out to be mundane puff-pieces have been a feature of covering NK since the 70s.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

nm posted:

Kim trolling the news media. Cool

Mods rename me to Kim Jong Trollun tia

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 13, 2017

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Those sabers, get them a-rattlin'.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/852648458402115587

To be clear, this refers to their next nuclear test. Which is rumored to be Saturday.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

and weirdo rich dudes run for president all the time but they dont win. its 2017 mutherfucker!!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Teddybear posted:

To be clear, this refers to their next nuclear test. Which is rumored to be Saturday.

see. this is whats scary because its trump and his people saying it. so i honestly believe we will probably do it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe Trump just wants his own version of Obama's red line.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

It's much more than usual from the US side. North Korea, though, yeah they make absurd threats and provocations constantly. Of course they also try to keep on the "don't actually start something" side of the line while extorting aid/money so they might actually dial things back a bit if they think the orange man might really respond to this round of bullshit with more than words.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Well that's one way to make their feelings about the birth of Seth Rogan felt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Reading through the article it states South Korea must consent to US strikes for them to happen.