Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any idea what's up with fallen angels' site btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
FA changed their layout recently. If it was wordpress they probably got owned because wordpress is a piece of poo poo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hagakure's quirk actually is invisbility, but she and the rest of her family are all seething extradimensional horrors whose very visage brings terror and madness, and she leaves it on all the time so she can live the carefree, happy life of a student instead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Don't look at me. My money was on astral projection, and that was debunked pretty early on.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kyte posted:

There's no reason to believe it'd make her visible just like it wouldn't unfroggify Tsuyu.

He originally thought he topped out at bike speed, which is not very fast at all.

that's the point. why did he think he could only go at bike speeds or have trouble stopping? because he seemingly never put any effort into understanding his power. it's strange to me

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elfgames posted:

that's the point. why did he think he could only go at bike speeds or have trouble stopping? because he seemingly never put any effort into understanding his power. it's strange to me

I think until he was pushed into more dangerous situations, those perceived limits were enough for him. It's like how Deku used his powers a certain way prior to learning Full Cowl, he was limited until he changed his way of thinking about it it. I do understand why it wouldn't make as much sense as a reader though, since if we had powers (presumably) we'd try out everything we could think of ASAP. I'm sure he crashed into plenty of walls as a kid before he decided bike speed was his safe max.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Elfgames posted:

Every aspect of his society tells him that only heroes and villains use their powers. He's still zipping about like an office chair because of course he is, but he's still doing something society and authority tell him not to, so it's no surprise he wasn't giving it 100%.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Real Hagakure's Quirk is convincing everyone she existed in the first place :v:

Elfgames posted:

There's this thing called a paradigm. To us it's weird that he never experimented with his Quirk because we don't have Quirks and thus we're able to think up all the questions and experiments we'd try if we were to develop them. That's our paradigm.
For him, he's had the power ever since it was discovered (assuming at the earliest, in grade school.) It's much like walking. After you learn it and troubleshoot it a bit you don't really think about it ever again. You just accept your ability to walk and get on with it. That's his paradigm.

So really all Ingenium told him was 'hey you know the way you walk? You might be able to moonwalk, you should try it.' And he did. Thus his paradigm shifted.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Isn't it the case that most quirks in the MHA world actually are fairly weak and narrow in application, like deku's mom or the glowing baby, and that they only seem powerful on average because the majority of characters we see are people who either got lucky with the power lottery or have spent a long time training their quirks? If the setting runs on the principle of "yeah, four in five people have superpowers, but nine out of ten times it's a dud that won't ever actually affect your day to day life in a meaningful sense" then it makes sense he would never actually see how powerful his quirk really is, especially since it's discouraged for normal people to do so.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

she's the invisible girl

quirk unrelated

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

where the red fern gropes posted:

she's the invisible girl

quirk unrelated

I mean, tokoyami has A Literal Stand as his quirk and also is a bird for unrelated reasons, so I can dig it

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 13, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mystic Mongol posted:

Every aspect of his society tells him that only heroes and villains use their powers. He's still zipping about like an office chair because of course he is, but he's still doing something society and authority tell him not to, so it's no surprise he wasn't giving it 100%.

Given how you're not supposed to just fly if you can fly and so on--he must have felt "if I go faster then I can handle, I'll get really obvious injuries and it will be very embarrassing, at a minimum." So he would still be zipping around but never push his limits.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
An aimless youth in a society that limits individuality not developing his capabilities? This documentary's not very accurate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Fowl posted:

Given how you're not supposed to just fly if you can fly and so on--he must have felt "if I go faster then I can handle, I'll get really obvious injuries and it will be very embarrassing, at a minimum." So he would still be zipping around but never push his limits.

I really want to see future quirk America one day in the comic. I want to see what type of gadsden flag waving assholery and good ol' boy tomfoolery we get up to when we're all mutants.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 134

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I believe in Red Riot.

Also lol @ the "oh this quirk drug is a Chinese knockoff- the American stuff usually lasts longer."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Look how loving happy he is on page 12. Look at him :allears:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Red Riot is my hero

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Glad to see the tradition of mystery chinese internet drugs is going strong in quirk world.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Americans make the best drugs.

Also haha at Bakugau grinding his teeth.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the others in his class should just ask red riot to come up with their super hero and special move names

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This drug also doesn't seem to turn the user's tongue back (I think he showed it in the last chapter at least)

Everything was p. cool this issue but I love the panel of Iida vibrating in place.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Tsuyu and Uraraka: packing both good looks AND cuteness!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blackheart posted:

This drug also doesn't seem to turn the user's tongue back (I think he showed it in the last chapter at least)

Everything was p. cool this issue but I love the panel of Iida vibrating in place.

We never saw his tongue.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/851998498199404545

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pnumoman posted:

He thought he had to limit himself to bike speeds because he couldn't stop himself all that well so he was scared to really push it because of that.

As a mobility quirk, it might just be incredibly overpowered; he's already maneuverable as hell, and if it turns out he can go exceptionally fast, he could be one of the best speedsters out there.

I feel like he would benefit immensely from having a costume that compensates for his weaknesses (for instance something that allows him to control his speed and stop more easily).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

the others in his class should just ask red riot to come up with their super hero and special move names

He's the best

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's really good at it yeah

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tomorrow: Tetsutetsu appears in the news for having saved civilians from a villain who can shoot spears from his skin.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
TetsuTetsu's powerup is almost certainly going to be him looking like Colossus.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fabricated posted:

TetsuTetsu's powerup is almost certainly going to be him looking like Colossus.
There is no doubt. He's gonna be all smooth and shiny compared to Red Riot being all jagged and rocky, but otherwise it'll be pretty much the same thing.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like he would benefit immensely from having a costume that compensates for his weaknesses (for instance something that allows him to control his speed and stop more easily).

except that's actually his specialty not his weakness i think he's do better with some protective gear so he can like ram people and objects without getting hurt

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I believe in Red Riot.

Also lol @ the "oh this quirk drug is a Chinese knockoff- the American stuff usually lasts longer."

This was probably my favorite detail in this chapter. I'm now imagining that Quirk-America has a Super-Meth problem now in addition to the garden variety.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/LossThief/status/851999652987768832

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Red Riot's deal isn't so much that he forms a hard "crust" on top of his skin, but that his skin itself becomes hard, right? Like, if some his hard material is damaged it's just like damaging his skin, as opposed to just damaging some casing on top of his skin?

edit: I wonder if the power-ups people get from the drug represent what they could also achieve through a bunch of hard-work, or if they represent a power-up unachievable through normal means.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 14, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That would be kind of weird, seeing as how he takes blades right to the eyeballs last chapter.

Or maybe not, I will allow that the lines going through his eyes are from using his quirk and not damage.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 14, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm pretty sure the essence of his powerup is that he's normally only hardening probably like his skin and his powerup is hardening his entire body - which probably explains why he can only do it for so long.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

This was probably my favorite detail in this chapter. I'm now imagining that Quirk-America has a Super-Meth problem now in addition to the garden variety.

Imagine how crazy Florida is in that world!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Say Nothing posted:

Imagine how crazy Florida is in that world!

How many heroes would be named Florida Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
So wait... is Sasuke still powerless?