Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Grumpy came today:

What's this I hear about youse mouthing off eh.

quote:

Senior minister Christopher Pyne has chastised his Coalition colleagues for publicly debating whether the government should allow first home buyers to raid their superannuation to help pay for a deposit.

Mr Pyne said those MPs seeking to "fiddle" with superannuation in the May budget risked destroying a retirement savings system that was the "envy of the world".

"It's a great pity that colleagues are running these debates publicly," the Defence Industry Minister told ABC Radio.

"Whether they attach their name to them, which I think is much more respectable, or do so anonymously. The budget process should be managed behind closed doors and on budget night it should be revealed to the people."

Don't mistreat the funds in any way...if there's anybody watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Schlesische posted:

Resulting in a post stating that (summarised) "We love Easter (it makes us so much money) we just don't brand all chocolate 'Easter Eggs' or 'Easter Bunnies' during Easter. My loving word, calm the gently caress down guys."

As a sidenote, does anyone know what happened to Easter Bilbies?
Are they still a thing, or did that get killed?

The fine chocolatiers at Haigh's have you covered, friend

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Bogan King posted:

Heinous poo poo.

This guy lacks enough heads for the appropriate amount of guillotining he deserves.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/852303479544487936

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Fair enough, but whatever happened to NTBilby? You don't see him much anymore.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

So the criminal stole 1 million dollars, may need to pay a fine of 12% and keep the other 88% because "he's old"?

Clearly he's making growth and jobs like President Turmball said too.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So is this what it feels like to be the crazy one? everything im reading and looking at online screams to me we are in a giant loving housing bubble yet every single person I talk too is like "nahhh mate safe as houses, theres no bubble its totally normal to buy a 2 bedroom shoebox place in kilsyth for 700k"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Thank you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Scarecow posted:

So is this what it feels like to be the crazy one? everything im reading and looking at online screams to me we are in a giant loving housing bubble yet every single person I talk too is like "nahhh mate safe as houses, theres no bubble its totally normal to buy a 2 bedroom shoebox place in kilsyth for 700k"

Everyone involved has to pretend it's not a bubble outwardly so that they can convince others to start or keep investing until they can make a return. It's essentially a ponzi scheme.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
ABC Radio PM is having one story or interview *every night* this week about it I think. Or it might have been RN Breakfast. Or both, I lost track.

Something strange going on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

So the criminal stole 1 million dollars, may need to pay a fine of 12% and keep the other 88% because "he's old"?

Clearly he's making growth and jobs like President Turmball said too.

Was thinking this but after a short pub crawl was too tired to say it.

They want him to stay in business? A guy who defrauded and stole a million bucks from his customers? gently caress me.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Comstar posted:

ABC Radio PM is having one story or interview *every night* this week about it I think. Or it might have been RN Breakfast. Or both, I lost track.

Something strange going on.

Maybe someone wants to lance the ol' cyst.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Everyone involved has to pretend it's not a bubble outwardly so that they can convince others to start or keep investing until they can make a return. It's essentially a ponzi scheme.

Isn't it also a case of "We're the Liberal party and we so very desperately don't want this bubble to blow up on our watch"?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Schlesische posted:

Isn't it also a case of "We're the Liberal party and we so very desperately don't want this bubble to blow up on our watch"?

And they feel they are going to lose the election. Trying to time it out

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Last thing you want to do is have a bubble burst while you're heavily invested. Best to offload those soon to be depreciated assets onto another sucker first.

So buy now kids! Buy from whoever is tell you to buy. They wouldn't lie to you.

(you might need to hock your own body to an organ bank after burning your super and selling any blood relatives into slavery first though)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Was thinking this but after a short pub crawl was too tired to say it.

They want him to stay in business? A guy who defrauded and stole a million bucks from his customers? gently caress me.

I would be surprised if any one shopped there after the news broke. Small towns can be vicious if you get on the wrong side of literally everyone

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I just can't get over how lucky we are to have our house. We borrowed the deposit off my brother-in-law who got a big compensation payout. We paid him back - with interest - and now we've got a house with 200 thou left on it and 20 thou in savings. There are so many people up poo poo creek I feel some days I don't deserve it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Very same here. We found our house and took out a loan right at the very beginning when prices started to rise here. Now old tiny maisonettes are going up for sale for more than we paid for this whole house. A heap of quick and dirty new houses went up for 400k-500k during the boom when the steelworks was doing great and iron ore prices were high. With the future of the steelworks here now in doubt I feel sick and scared for people who are stuck paying off debts on their houses. There's no way to sell up, pay off the remainder of the debt and move, if you lose your job here. No one is buying, even if you wanted to take a loss just so you could get out. The thought of it is horrific and suffocating and I feel horrible for being glad it isn't happening to me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Scarecow posted:

it's probably a case of cognitive dissonance in action. No one with investment properties wants to believe their multi-million dollar portfolio is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it and that the instant people decide not to pay that much their hard earned net worth will vanish without a trace

The ones who are capable of thinking rationally about it are probably quietly moving their properties on to some other buyer, presumably while claiming how the prices can only ever go up up UP

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sharri Markson with actual (horse-race) journalisms from the daily telegraph:

no im not going to link it posted:

SENIOR Government figures fear the Budget process is in danger of derailing, with Scott Morrison’s authority being publicly undermined by restless ministers, and the party leadership dithering on key policy initiatives.

["Senior Government figures" = backgrounding campaign, most likely from Morrison's staff]

The Treasurer, whose May 9 Budget will determine the immediate fate of the Government, dismissed as “complete rubbish” any suggestion of problems.

But The Daily Telegraph has been told of his growing “frustration” at the indecisiveness from the top of Government and that Malcolm Turnbull has instructed him to consult with Peter Dutton over housing affordability measures.

While Mr Dutton, the Immigration minister, has no economic responsibilities, he has become the head of the right wing of the Liberal Party, and is considered a potential Coalition leadership rival to Mr Morrison.

[Somehow this is supposed to explain why a potato would have any economic insight.]

While Mr Morrison’s office played down suggestions of unrest, several ministers and key insiders told The Daily Telegraph tensions between him and the Prime Minister had escalated in the past fortnight.

One MP expressed concerns Mr Turnbull’s edict to Mr Morrison to reach consensus on housing policy with Mr Dutton, who does not sit on the powerful Expenditure Review Committee, left the Treasurer in danger of being “emasculated”.

And insiders were yesterday stunned, and Mr Morrison was said to be unhappy, that Cabinet ministers and Mr Turnbull were publicly canvassing policy measures.

[The Right don't like where Morrison wants to go with some bits of the Budget and are trying to bully him into changing it. At the same time, they want to keep the bits they like very quiet.]

“I’ve never seen a thing like today where there’s an open discussion about a measure that may or may not be in the Budget a month out,” one source said.

Defence Industry Minister Christopher Pyne and Mr Dutton were both disparaging of a proposal to allow young people to raid their superannuation yesterday — a day after Mr Turnbull also dismissed the measure publicly, rather than in a private meeting of Cabinet.

Traditionally, Government ministers do not discuss, never rule in or rule out Budget initiatives so close to the Treasurer’s speech.

Key economic ministers met in Sydney yesterday to thrash out measures, and discussed changes to Capital Gains Tax concessions, but The Daily Telegraph understands they failed to reach an agreement.

[This means he has no state government support, lol what a surprise.]

Mr Dutton has strongly opposed budget measures Mr Morrison has been exploring, including changes to negative gearing and allowing first-home buyers to access superannuation, and his opinion has been sought in discussions around changes to Capital Gains Tax.

One Liberal MP described Mr Morrison as in danger of being emasculated as Treasurer.

[Despite the fact that, as we know, potatoes know nothing about economics but know the value of their investment properties.]

The MP said while Mr Dutton did not hold an economic portfolio, he was a senior Cabinet minister who could be consulted on economic policy.

“I don’t blame Malcolm for that but at the same time the Treasurer needs to be the captain of that ship and you can’t emasculate him,” the MP said.

“The Treasurer can’t be answering to too many other people.”

Another MP said there were tensions between Mr Turnbull and Mr Morrison but also said they were “common” ahead of a federal Budget.

Mr Morrison dismissed colleagues’ descriptions of strained relations with the PM and frustration at having to run economic policy by Mr Dutton as “complete rubbish”.

Senior figures from the Howard government said former prime minster John Howard and treasurer Peter Costello were on the same page with economic policy and, while they may have discussed a measure with Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, he was not a central part of the decision-making process ahead of Budget.

[Clearly intended to embarrass Turnbull.]

Mr Morrison was exploring change to negative gearing by limiting the deductibility of interest on residential investor mortgages until Mr Turnbull made it clear privately he needed consensus from Mr Dutton and Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, senior figures in the Right of the party.

Both fiercely opposed the measure, and it was subsequently ruled out.

Mr Pyne yesterday said it was a great pity colleagues were running Budget debates publicly. He then gave his own view on a housing measure.

Mr Turnbull is understood to have asked Mr Morrison to reach a consensus with Mr Dutton and Mr Cormann in an effort to avoid a showdown with the Right after the Budget.

Former PM Tony Abbott has already indicated, in an interview with The Daily Telegraph this week, that he would not support cutting Capital Gains Tax concessions, which he said would amount to a covert tax.

[Like anyone gives a gently caress what you think Tony. But the "showdown" would appear to be on anyway. Clearly no one thinks its a winning Budget.]

Mr Morrison was also re-examining whether it’s worth keeping the Work for the Dole scheme, which he viewed as too expensive at an annual cost of $650 million, with little results.

His push to axe the program was quickly exposed in the media, with the government forced to confirm it would keep the mutual obligation scheme.

I'm also hearing disturbing BasicsCard rumours on twitter but can't find anything tangible. But the Budget seems to already be pre-cooked

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Crikey posted:

We’ve done some digging on One Nation’s weird tanty over the ABC and Andrew Probyn’s “leaking” of a pending trip to Afghanistan by a parliamentary delegation consisting of two government, two opposition and two One Nation MPs.

According to Defence, such delegations are “open to all Federal parliamentarians who can apply to take part … In the event an activity is oversubscribed, a ballot is conducted to determine the participants. A ballot was not required for this particular activity.”

That is, only the government, the opposition and One Nation applied to participate in the trip — at least according to Defence. The trip was planned to coincide with Anzac Day — which presumably explains why Pauline Hanson and Brian Burston are so furious about its cancellation, because the trip would have provided images of Hanson spending The One Day of the Year with Australian soldiers, kitted out in body armour on the frontline against jihadists.

But who leaked the trip to Probyn? Someone in Defence, or one of the other four participants, or perhaps their staff? Even someone in One Nation? We understand the source is someone at Parliament House, not at Russell Hill, but it’s not clear exactly who. But it gets a little more interesting: Defence actually has a brochure on its website about the parliamentarian program, including details of the trip to what is called “the Middle East”. Unlike other activities, there are no dates indicated for that one in the current brochure, which makes sense from a security point of view.

Except … Google Cache shows the brochure used to have the dates indicated for the Middle East trips.

So Defence itself was advertising publicly that Australian parliamentarians would be visiting the region on specific dates. Maybe the enraged One Nation should be demanding that Defence’s funding be cut, not the ABC’s.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/852657862786428928

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Turns out dogfucking rots your brain.. who knew..

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

Turns out dogfucking rots your brain.. who knew..

https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/842523355764813824

That is his pinned tweet. He tried to warn you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LBwAMF4680
lmao, okay this is good.

Wtf NSW

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Has anyone seen any predictions about when the housing bubble might pop? I mean I know nobody can put a specific date on it, and we're at the when, not if, point, but are we probably talking like within the next say five years? Possibly less?

Personally I'm kind of excited for it to go. Not for all the people who'll go bust, which is sad, but because I finish uni this year (touch wood), and I already have a great job and healthy savings account, but just lol at the idea of buying now. Incidentally most of my friends are struggling to find work and can't even rent, let alone begin to think about buying.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Stop hawking your Labor mates work in this thread.

Whitlam posted:

Has anyone seen any predictions about when the housing bubble might pop? I mean I know nobody can put a specific date on it, and we're at the when, not if, point, but are we probably talking like within the next say five years? Possibly less?

Personally I'm kind of excited for it to go. Not for all the people who'll go bust, which is sad, but because I finish uni this year (touch wood), and I already have a great job and healthy savings account, but just lol at the idea of buying now. Incidentally most of my friends are struggling to find work and can't even rent, let alone begin to think about buying.

Depends on a lot of factors, governments continuing to do gently caress all to slow things down, Trump and which way interest rates go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Whitlam posted:

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent is a saying for a reason.

People predicted the US housing bubble 5+ years before it happened but that's not to say they were predicting it for the right reasons (lol Peter Schiff).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 14, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Whitlam posted:

You probably won't have that great job anymore if there's a housing crash

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
You still have plenty of time to make the wrong prediction when it comes to the housing bubble like with Steve Keen.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
All good points. Personally I'm in no rush to buy, but it would be nice to see it pop on the watch of da best economic managers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

my favourite labor moment is where they got elected in QLD on the back of preserving the reef and now they are actively hatefucking it

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Recoome posted:

my favourite labor moment is where they got elected in QLD on the back of preserving the reef and now they are actively hatefucking it

I agree

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We will be fine. Trust the market.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
If you keep negative gearing it's not really a bubble in the traditional sense, invester money will always be pouring in.

The only way it realistically bursts anytime soon is if negative gearing is removed across the board, which is not going to happen. At best they'll grandfather it meaning prices hold as investors stop buying however hold onto their remaining stock.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
After sitting on a deposit and waiting for the burst 'it'll happen any day now!'

We've decided to buy.

No one really knows what's going to happen, the best you can do be smart with the money you do have, have a backup plan, and don't over leverage yourself.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm keen on the Aussie dollar finally dropping down, but not a massive housing bubble crash.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I don't see it bursting and the housing market crashing. I can absolutely see it deflating like an old balloon just farting away for 2 years.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Yeast posted:

After sitting on a deposit and waiting for the burst 'it'll happen any day now!'

We've decided to buy.

No one really knows what's going to happen, the best you can do be smart with the money you do have, have a backup plan, and don't over leverage yourself.

Yeast posted:

I don't see it bursting and the housing market crashing. I can absolutely see it deflating like an old balloon just farting away for 2 years.

gay picnic defence posted:

it's probably a case of cognitive dissonance in action. No one with investment properties wants to believe their multi-million dollar portfolio is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it and that the instant people decide not to pay that much their hard earned net worth will vanish without a trace

The ones who are capable of thinking rationally about it are probably quietly moving their properties on to some other buyer, presumably while claiming how the prices can only ever go up up UP

just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm not saying that prices won't go down, they absolutely will. They have to. It's unsustainable to think any differently.

I'm just saying that fall will be slow, filled with massive periods of stagnation and fluctuations.

• Locked thread