Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bring back old gbs posted:

The Mick had too many great moments to count tonight.

I just watched it over lunch and that episode is up there with the birthday party. The Mickis so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

I just watched it over lunch and that episode is up there with the birthday party. The Mickis so good.

When the kid leaves the room and comes back with the shot and your brain is already connecting the dots with "...wait she's got poo poo drawn on her face...." and you know exactly where it's going but that drat kid just makes it 100x funnier than it should be. They nailed that casting.

EDIT: Hahaha oh yeah "See, that's how ya do it!"

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 12, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

When the kid leaves the room and comes back with the shot and your brain is already connecting the dots with "...wait she's got poo poo drawn on her face...." and you know exactly where it's going but that drat kid just makes it 100x funnier than it should be. They nailed that casting.

I was waiting for that scene the whole show, they telegraphed it hard but it worked so so well and then Mick with the frying pan. I had to pause it I was laughing so hard.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
R.I.P. Charlie Murphy :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Death took the wrong one again.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Speaking of Powerless, three weeks ago they inexplicably took a week off without any announcement or reason I saw, and then last week NBC last-minute ordered their affiliates to not air the episode originally planned because it involved a poison gas attack.

Except not all of the affiliates got the memo (especially in Canada) so many of them aired it anyway.

Now the gas episode is supposed to air this week, but I guess those other affiliates air the episode aired last week?

:psyduck:

I'm wondering how much flak loving Powerless and NBC would've really gotten if they had done nothing, but knowing how everything becomes a crusade these days I'm guessing someone somewhere would've made a big deal out of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

END ME SCOOB posted:

This is what I say every time the DVR records a new one, yeah

I wasn't aware it even started yet. Based on the promos, the smart move would have been to smother it before it had and quietly pretend it never happened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lately I've been watching The Americans by simply buying each episode off Prime for $3. $3 is a perfect price point for a really good TV show and I think that every good TV show that isn't up for streaming the day after it airs should be sold for $3 because then I would never pirate anything (not that I do now, of course!)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you're paying $40 for the season of The Americans which is like half way to the price for Prime that would get you The Americans and more.

So if its the ONLY thing you're buying I understand your purchase, but that's the very reason I don't buy any shows (on DVD or otherwise) anymore and just sign up to streaming services.

But I also don't mind waiting for a show and not watching it as it airs (I actually prefer it, for the most part).

raditts posted:

I wasn't aware it even started yet. Based on the promos, the smart move would have been to smother it before it had and quietly pretend it never happened.

I tried to watch a bunch of episodes and... yeah.

I've actually stuck with Imaginary Mary longer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Actually to get the current season of The Americans you still have to buy it on prime. But you can just buy the season for $35 instead of buying each episode individually. I'm not sure if you save any money.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you'd save like 1-4 bucks (can't remember if Americans seasons are 12 or 13 eps)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, you're paying $40 for the season of The Americans which is like half way to the price for Prime that would get you The Americans and more.

So if its the ONLY thing you're buying I understand your purchase, but that's the very reason I don't buy any shows (on DVD or otherwise) anymore and just sign up to streaming services.

Yeah I wasn't being clear. I have Prime and 99% of what I watch is on there, Hulu or Netflix. But there are a handful of shows so good I want to watch them as soon as they're available, like The Americans, Bates Motel, Rectify, Fargo, Better Call Saul, etc. and I don't mind paying a few dollars to increase the revenue of people making good art. I consider it pretty great value for money.

When you used to have to buy music, I would spend $10 on an hour long CD or record. Now some albums, yes, I've listened to in excess of a thousand times, but there are somewhere in the neighborhood last I checked of about five thousand albums that I have only listened to a couple times (because time is finite, not because they're bad). So for me at least, $3 for a 40-odd minute TV show (that I own and can rewatch any time) is the sweet spot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but, if you're gonna watch the whole season, why are you buying episodes at a time? Just pay upfront and be done with it...

But I mean, yeah, if you didn't know you were going to watch the whole season until you'd bought the first episode, then I guess you're SOL and need to buy each one to avoid overpaying.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

precision posted:

Yeah I wasn't being clear. I have Prime and 99% of what I watch is on there, Hulu or Netflix. But there are a handful of shows so good I want to watch them as soon as they're available, like The Americans, Bates Motel, Rectify, Fargo, Better Call Saul, etc. and I don't mind paying a few dollars to increase the revenue of people making good art. I consider it pretty great value for money.

When you used to have to buy music, I would spend $10 on an hour long CD or record. Now some albums, yes, I've listened to in excess of a thousand times, but there are somewhere in the neighborhood last I checked of about five thousand albums that I have only listened to a couple times (because time is finite, not because they're bad). So for me at least, $3 for a 40-odd minute TV show (that I own and can rewatch any time) is the sweet spot.
You watch all of those shows with the $25/month Sling TV Blue package except for Rectify which would be another $5/month for the "Hollywood Package".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gobbeldygook posted:

You watch all of those shows with the $25/month Sling TV Blue package except for Rectify which would be another $5/month for the "Hollywood Package".

What the hell, why have I never heard of this before

it even has a 7 day trial I am on the case

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

What the hell, why have I never heard of this before

it even has a 7 day trial I am on the case

Dude there's a few of these and they all have some ups and downs. I have PSVue which is $5 more but imo has a better channel selection and also has a sort of DVR function. Sling I think doesn't have that yet but does have ondemand stuff. Directv also has one and youtube is slowly rolling one out.

It's a great time to be ditching cable, especially if you don't give a gently caress about sports. Those are the expensive packages.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was going to look into PSVue since the vast majority of our television comfort watching is done in the bedroom, which is also where the PS4 is. The living room is too full of guitar poo poo and LEGOs :v: :j:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Anyone else watching The Missing tonight?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of shows, last night's the The Americans... poo poo just got real.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Imposters finale was great. Kept me guessing and swerving all the way up to the end and left me with a big goofy smile on my face. This was a really great show and honestly one of the most fun watches I've had of any show in awhile. This is probably my show of the 2017 right now, including Legion.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I was going to look into PSVue since the vast majority of our television comfort watching is done in the bedroom, which is also where the PS4 is. The living room is too full of guitar poo poo and LEGOs :v: :j:

I subscribed to Sling before PSVue brought out an Android TV app. PSVue has its issues but it is faaaaaaar superior.
The only reason I could think of to get Sling is because they still carry Viacom stations, but according to the most recent promo they mailed me to get me to re-subscribe, you have to pay extra for them now, :laffo:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone watching Making History? We watched 3 episodes and it's mildly amusing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aaaaaaah, the season finale to Imposters was just perfect. Definitely the best new show of this year so far.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

wormil posted:

Anyone watching Making History? We watched 3 episodes and it's mildly amusing.

"Mildly amusing" is basically as far as I'm willing to go as well. Its the sort of sitcom I'll watch out of habit and then forget all about between seasons or shrug when I find out it was cancelled.

But like, I like Pally and there's potential for the way they're playing with the wacky time travel stuff. But I don't have a lot of hope.

edit: And I just googled Adam Pally's name to see if I was spelling it right and found out he got arrested for cocaine possession last week. So maybe that's why there didn't seem to be an episode this week? RIP Making History?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 13, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I mostly liked how they riled up the colonists by threatening to take their guns. It seems like Leighton Meester is putting in the most effort but I'm only 3 eps in. My daughter says they made her into the perfect girlfriend. I said that's because only nerds watch the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm sick of scenes where a man is shaving and the camera zooms in real close with the sound being super exaggerated. Then of course he accidentally nicks himself and some blood starts to come out. What a bad omen!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm sick of scenes where a man is shaving and the camera zooms in real close with the sound being super exaggerated. Then of course he accidentally nicks himself and some blood starts to come out. What a bad omen!

Hey, if we'd listened, we'd have never watched Dexter in the first place.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Longbaugh01 posted:

Speaking of Powerless, three weeks ago they inexplicably took a week off without any announcement or reason I saw, and then last week NBC last-minute ordered their affiliates to not air the episode originally planned because it involved a poison gas attack.

Except not all of the affiliates got the memo (especially in Canada) so many of them aired it anyway.

Oh, that was supposed to not show? I saw the description in the recordings and winced but was not nearly high enough to want to watch it.

raditts posted:

It's just amazing how I love most of the cast and yet someone decided in 2016/2017 that the best thing to do with a concept that could be some fun and a cast of proven entertaining comedians was "stock sitcom plots played completely straight like it was a TV Land marathon in spandex".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Predator does it the best.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's just amazing how I love most of the cast and yet someone decided in 2016/2017 that the best thing to do with a concept that could be some fun and a cast of proven entertaining comedians was "stock sitcom plots played completely straight like it was a TV Land marathon in spandex".

I saw one episode, the A plot was one of them trying to befriend her standoffish co-worker, the B plot was the boss trying to figure out who deuced in his toilet. :sigh:. And the whole time I found 'or blown up by one of Jack o' Lanterns bombs!' 'I fell in the garbage because I had to jump out of the way of one of Jack o'lantern's bombs', 'MY COUSIN BRUCE' to be really jarring. When credits rolled, all I could say was 'that wasn't funny at all.'

Any Detroiters fans in the thread? I think Sam and Tim are one of the most endearingly dorky duos I've seen in a long time, and the Husky Boys episode was slaying me. And I mean, come on, any show that has The Fat Boys cameo as orderlies as a nod to their 1987 movie Disorderlies is really something else.

Plus, Mort Crim:
"Earlier today the ghost of a pedophile was spotted haunting the old Boblo Amusement Park; here’s the interesting thing — the ghost was, get this, a woman."

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 13, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, I'm going to be annoyed when Powerless is inevitably cancelled. I think it has legs. The dialog isn't quite as sharp as Better of Ted was, but it gives me the same vibe.

What I'm mostly enjoying (aside from Alan Tudyk) is the way the tone is played with. It's constructed as this bubbly work place comedy, but some of the jokes are pretty blue/spiteful for the tone it wears upfront. It's not super brilliant or subversive or anything, but it does have a blink and you'll miss it bite.

Also, the rest of the DC universe takes itself too drat seriously and this doesn't. It also didn't seem like any characters are off limits.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Escobarbarian posted:

Had only finished the first one. I'm not uninterested, but it seemed like it could end up being super typical teen drama-y (and the central concept is a bit too ridiculous for me). Will carry on with it, though.
I thought the show was a good watch but the central concept is actually sort of hosed up when you think about it. It's suicidal wish fulfillment, that fantasy where the suicidal person dreams about how everyone will be sorry when they're gone, will realize the error of their ways and repent or pay, and it basically works!!

Also is there going to be a s2? I was pretty sure it was going to be one self-contained story but when it wrapped up I wasn't sure anymore.

One final thing thought on that show, I thought it let Clay off the hook too easy in terms of his tape, in that despite the fact that I get why he'd feel guilty, what they actually had him do was really innocuous. Seems like they really wanted to preserve his good decent guy status a bit too much there. The offhand comment he made after Justin's picture got passed around was actually worse and I thought the show would do something more like that, with Clay arrogantly judging her the way he tended to do with people. Instead he just backed off when she screamed at him to go away. Oh, and lastly, :laffo: the secret hidden tape recorder. No show or movie ever needs to do that trick again, please

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone object to my putting up a thread for American Gods? I'm pretty psyched for it, and I don't think there's a thread yet.

Also! New picture:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please make an American Gods thread! Nobody's posted in the Hannibal thread for months. Also I would like a one-stop shop for gifs of Gillian Anderson's Marilyn Monroe impression.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a The Leftovers thread/enough people who watch it on here to support one? I just started binging my way through a few days ago and it's excellent. Makes keeping my HBO subscription on Amazon worth it on its own.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a The Leftovers thread/enough people who watch it on here to support one? I just started binging my way through a few days ago and it's excellent. Makes keeping my HBO subscription on Amazon worth it on its own.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801253

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thanks! Must have seen the all caps Lost in the title and kept scrolling.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thanks! Must have seen the all caps Lost in the title and kept scrolling.

Some earlier in this thread said to absolutely not read it until you've seen the premiere.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Some earlier in this thread said to absolutely not read it until you've seen the premiere.

I'd still check it out. It didn't seem bad to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The Mick had too many great moments to count tonight.

The scene of the other boy's father drowning someone in a toilet bowl was shot like something out of Breaking Bad.

• Locked thread