Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So you can't bombard the AI rebellion homeworld to help with an invasion. I guess because you're not officially at war or whatever? :suicide:

edit: Okay, another empire is able to bombard, but I can't. What the heck.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Baronjutter posted:

I like the idea of a non-fixed civ style tree you can plan every game around, but 1993's Master of Orion did this way way better.

The thing is MoO's tech tree is vastly different from Stellaris' tech tree. The big difference being Stellaris you can get all the techs over time, and MoO you have a subset of techs that get revealed as you research more. Having the order be random and stuff not sticking around has led me to having to make choices of "what I need now", which is something that doesn't really happen with other tech systems I've played in games.

I'd like an in-game tech listing so you could look up requirements and if certain guys give you a better chance of rolling it. Some of that hidden info is frustrating, or some stuff unlocking after techs (ship-builder governors behind that stupid army tech).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Strudel Man posted:

So you can't bombard the AI rebellion homeworld to help with an invasion. I guess because you're not officially at war or whatever? :suicide:

Just build a shitload of armies. Defenders are stacksize-limited, attackers are not. Bombarding planets is basically pointless outside of the early game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

The thing is MoO's tech tree is vastly different from Stellaris' tech tree. The big difference being Stellaris you can get all the techs over time, and MoO you have a subset of techs that get revealed as you research more. Having the order be random and stuff not sticking around has led me to having to make choices of "what I need now", which is something that doesn't really happen with other tech systems I've played in games.

I'd like an in-game tech listing so you could look up requirements and if certain guys give you a better chance of rolling it. Some of that hidden info is frustrating, or some stuff unlocking after techs (ship-builder governors behind that stupid army tech).

Yeah an encyclopedia kind of thing or just a button to pop open the tech section of the wiki would be good. I know what techs I need but if you've never played before you will have no idea other than "this tech unlocks a thing. you don't know what it unlocks, but it's something" tooltip.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

PittTheElder posted:

Just build a shitload of armies. Defenders are stacksize-limited, attackers are not. Bombarding planets is basically pointless outside of the early game.

That's inelegant.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Uhhh it's still definitely worth it to bombard planets.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I want to see if I can do a mod that only gives you two tech draws, but makes them stick around permanently. So every time you research a tech, you get two more options, but you can also choose anything you've ever seen before at all (the same way you can off special event techs and salvage techs)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

bombard planets. who the heck wants to build 50 attack armies to attack one planet when 12 and bombarding it is much faster.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Nitrousoxide posted:

You know what's really dumb.

The tech card system.

Most techs have stuff that makes them more likely to be drawn but none of this is exposed to the player. You have to go look at an enormous Excel sheet on a wiki to see.

Not only that, but some techs have prerequisites, but you have no way of knowing what they are without, again, looking at this enormous Excel sheet.

It's just a really awful system and they should have used a regular tech tree.

I can't disagree more. Having randomized, or even semi-randomized techs, as a feature, is more or less completely negated if it's left completely transparent. This is only the start of what a divergent technology system really ought to be for a space-faring game.
~~~~

So, one of my neighbors spawned as Hivemind. Is peace even possible, or will I have to plan long term to extinguish the creepies?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

I can't disagree more. Having randomized, or even semi-randomized techs, as a feature, is more or less completely negated if it's left completely transparent. This is only the start of what a divergent technology system really ought to be for a space-faring game.
~~~~

So, one of my neighbors spawned as Hivemind. Is peace even possible, or will I have to plan long term to extinguish the creepies?

You can have peace with a hive. It's purifiers that will always go all nuts on you.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Roobanguy posted:

bombard planets. who the heck wants to build 50 attack armies to attack one planet when 12 and bombarding it is much faster.

Bombard planets, and use one of my newly-updated-for-Banks mods to do it so that shiny new bombardment stance might actually be worthy of the name (or even just actually work at all.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I can't disagree more. Having randomized, or even semi-randomized techs, as a feature, is more or less completely negated if it's left completely transparent.

this is clearly wrong, and if it were true that would be a reason to scrap randomised techs. any system that depends on the player not knowing how it works is poorly suited for a strategy game designed for multiple playthroughs

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
If you're looking at it as a 4x game, then sure, but if you look at it in the context of other Paradox games, where the main point is to dick around, it's ideal.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So Fallen Empire triggers are still really weird in regards to awakening/Guardian of the Galaxy/etc.

First thing that happened was the Xenophile FE wakes up. Shortly thereafter the Unbidden pop in one of my systems, and I send my 250k fleet over to smash it. I was in the middle of a war, so I couldn't invite the Xenophiles to my federation right away. After squishing the Unbidden and finishing up my war (against the still-stagnant Spiritualist FE, incidentally), I get the Xenophiles in my Federation. They still talk like there's a galactic crisis etc. rather than a proper Awakened Empire.

Then, I get the Guardians of the Galaxy message for the Materialist FE awakening as a Guardian of the Galaxy, except they're not. The Unbidden are gone, and they start pestering me to sign the AI ban. I refuse. And for some reason at this point the Xenophiles also stop being a Guardian and ask me to sign the peace treaty, I refuse, but they're already in my federation so even though they're pissed they can't do anything about it. Now there are two awakened Empires running around, but no War in Heaven, both are pissed at me but the Xenophiles are still a federation ally. The trust growth even knocked them down from Belligerent back to Imperious, even with the Refused Demand.

I'd see where this goes but conquering the Materialists gave me the last few systems I needed to win the game. First Utopia game down, was actually kinda weird. Fun though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

But a spaceport module that gives them fighters or bombers in addition to their regular armament might be cool.

As you might expect, there's a mod for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=802551283

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you're looking at it as a 4x game, then sure, but if you look at it in the context of other Paradox games, where the main point is to dick around, it's ideal.

I'm looking at it as a 4x game because it is a 4x game, and the designers keep on talking about how they are trying to make this 4x game a good 4x game, yeah

that's also not true for the other paradox games though!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Topic of mods, here's one to let Xenophiles and Egalitarians give robots rights as well, while here is one that just removes the happiness penalty Xenophile and Egalitarian factions receive if you have robots enslaved. Either one, depending on your personal feelings on the matter, seems like a good option for the time being. Personally I prefer the former, as my past posts indicate, but some people might want to keep things the same except for the penalties I guess.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

This is the best world I've come across in my current game, and probably one of the best I've ever seen personally:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

having infinite core worlds with micromanagement is also cheating though, it's just masochistic cheating

How do you get that many core worlds? Some guy said he had 17, I can't figure out how you'd stack it that high.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Magil Zeal posted:

So Fallen Empire triggers are still really weird in regards to awakening/Guardian of the Galaxy/etc.

I'm also pretty far in to my first Utopia game and have also just had a weird experience with Xenophile and Spiritual Awakened Empires kicking off a War in Heaven that got messed up by the Unbidden. The Xenophile FE awoke first with the Spiritualists awakening a little after in response, kicking off the War. While all this was going on the Unbidden spawned in a much smaller neighbour that was wedged between me and the Xenohpiles, but because the smaller empire decided to side with the Xenophiles and I didn't they were really pissed and for whatever reason didn't go in to 'guardian' mode. Unfortunately for my neighbour that meant their borders were forced closed against me and I had to wait for the Unbidden to eat their way through before I could actually access the portal (which left a lot of prime real estate for me to pick up after).

The War in Heaven kinda stagnated from there. Despite agreeing to be part of the Non-Aligned league neither AA empire declared war on me and instead decided to pick on the gigantic empire that happened to have 1/3 of the galaxy to themselves and spanned the area between the two awakened empires. I don't know if something glitched out but both awakened empires seemed to never build any buildings on their newly acquired worlds and constructed very few ships from what I could tell. Neither side made a move against the other and had a hell of a time trying to fight off the regular AI empire that sat between them, all the while the normal empire was falling apart due to internal rebellions and could barely fight a war. They should've been a push over but eventually got a white peace. I then stepped in and took out the Xenophile AA I was next to and ended the War in Heaven. The worlds I took over were a mess; all of them were full but some of them just had the disassembled colony ship and nothing else, others had a few random buildings but I don't know if their previous owners built them or not. After assigning the new planets to sectors the sector AI is building things normally so I have no idea what was holding things back earlier.

With the War in Heaven over the galaxy is now controlled by three separate empires that control close to 1/3 of the galaxy each; myself to the northeast, the empire I was 'allied' with to the northeast that is slowly disintegrating with a steady stream of new diplomatic pop ups letting me know of some single world empire has rebelled and that hates my guts, and a third empire to the south that has a smattering of vassals (that all hate me, too). The Spiritualist AA is on the other side of the galaxy but I need to go through one of the other two empires to get to them. There's also a Materialist FE that didn't awaken during all of this but somehow ended up declaring war on the empire to the south. Neither the FE nor the empire they are at war with have done anything though...

At this point I'm just going through and building mega-structures to pass the time, I've also done the robotic assentions but I'm kinda bumbed out that everything all looks like normal synths - and that my regular synths still count as a separate race (that I can't distinguish between). And also the dozen or so other species in my empire previously are all now the same as my main species after getting shiny new robot bodies. Our differences really were only skin deep this whole time.

The expansion is quite a bit of fun but there's still kinks to be ironed out.

edit:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do you get that many core worlds? Some guy said he had 17, I can't figure out how you'd stack it that high.
It's not that hard - the base is 3, but there's a civic that adds on 2 more. Then there's a bonus from completing one of the traditions, then an Ascension Perk that adds a bunch as well. Add in a few repeating techs and you'll get there eventually.

I like managing planets myself but this can get to be a bit much when you're trying to do other things, like micromanage your fleets in a war and whatnot.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 14, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I may be misunderstanding but I thought lum_ meant using it with a mod that removed the core world cap

otherwise I don't understand what they meant by "cheating" at all

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

You get 3 by default, if you're some form of pacifist you get 2-4 more, exploration tree gives you 2, perk gives you 5, civic can give you 2. That can be 16 before techs, which you get 1 or 2 of before hitting repeatables.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is the best world I've come across in my current game, and probably one of the best I've ever seen personally:

One of my games gave me a 25 tile +10% Minerals planet that promptly got completely filled with robots. That was some insane luck.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kinetica posted:

Uhhh it's still definitely worth it to bombard planets.

It really isn't. Assuming you can afford the armies (and they are not expensive), you can just accumulate them over time. Once you have a stack of about 40-50 armies, you can just drop them on the planet, without any bombardment, and they'll melt the enemies morale so fast you don't take any damage. I don't even bother to give mine attachments because it's too fiddly, and it still works. The fact that you can always be sure that you'll vastly outnumber the enemy defenders, it actually doesn't matter if they have a big damage reduction.

Roobanguy posted:

A guy who doesn't want to wait around for my fleet to wear down a planet when it could be clearing the way to the next target. Bombarding isn't faster, because you just build your grand army once and you're done. Wars go insanely fast when you do that.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Vermain posted:

One of my games gave me a 25 tile +10% Minerals planet that promptly got completely filled with robots. That was some insane luck.

I immediately went to war with the empire who had this planet in their borders. It's absolutely ridiculous, in addition to the 50% minerals modifier it has 18! natural minerals. The other planetary modifier is natural beauty for +5% happiness and +25% migration attraction. No mods, just a 1000 system galaxy with habitable planets turned to 1.25.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Why did you put the Planetary Administration in such a dumb place? You're throwing minerals away.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Slave setups can get a lot of minerals. 15% industrious, 15-25% from tech (exoskeleton+mineral processing plant), 10% slave guilds, 10% slave processing plant, 10% mining guilds, 10% slavery gov. I think happy synths beat it out, but you can get this way before you get synths.

edit: also slave armies are like 1/3 the cost of an assault army, making it easy to dump out a bunch of them.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 14, 2017

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Tile blockers I think? My namelist apparently ran out of room halfway through the game, so I'd actually lost the planet for a bit believe it or not . I have at least 4-5 identically named planets and it got thrown into a sector accidentally. Just started building it up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You should really move it though. You're losing a bunch of minerals having it in the corner there.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just had a stagnant ascendancy make contact, declare war, and warp an 80k strong force into my home system in the space of about 30 seconds. I only just started researching cruisers :gonk:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't put baby in the corner.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

It really isn't. Assuming you can afford the armies (and they are not expensive), you can just accumulate them over time. Once you have a stack of about 40-50 armies, you can just drop them on the planet, without any bombardment, and they'll melt the enemies morale so fast you don't take any damage. I don't even bother to give mine attachments because it's too fiddly, and it still works. The fact that you can always be sure that you'll vastly outnumber the enemy defenders, it actually doesn't matter if they have a big damage reduction.

A guy who doesn't want to wait around for my fleet to wear down a planet when it could be clearing the way to the next target. Bombarding isn't faster, because you just build your grand army once and you're done. Wars go insanely fast when you do that.

Ahh, the Zap Brannigan approach to space warfare.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i learned a similar lesson after converting into synths and finding myself with over 50 android armies that had previously been sector built defense garrisons

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Horizon Signal is easily one of the best quests I've ever played in a video game. It's weird and lovely and had enough sacrificial choices that it felt dangerous.

Utopia is an amazing DLC. I spent an entire day off playing it and I'm still looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Anyone know of a mod that makes ring worlds actually obtainable? I banked an ascension slot to get Galactic Wonder builder, but the technology never came up late, late in the game. It's such a cool idea but in 3 different playthroughs to victory I haven't been able to build anything.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Hope this helps.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Which galaxy settings do folks like to play on?

I think I've settled on:
- Small (400 Stars)
- Galaxy Shape: Spiral (2 Arms)
- AI Empires: 6 (default)
- Advanced AI Starts: 2 (default)
- Max Fallen Empires: 2 (1 more than default)
- Habitable Worlds: 1x
- Hyperdrive only FTL
- Empire Placement: Clusters (default)
- Advanced Neighbors: Off

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
What's the best way to win wars against groups that don't have fleet power? I have the biggest fleet and the galaxy through itself at me in a war where I wanted 3 systems. I would up having to go invade almost every single system and take every planet of the guy I declared war on just to get a 60% war score.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

What's the best way to win wars against groups that don't have fleet power? I have the biggest fleet and the galaxy through itself at me in a war where I wanted 3 systems. I would up having to go invade almost every single system and take every planet of the guy I declared war on just to get a 60% war score.

If they straight up don't have any fleets, just blockade all their planets till you hit 100%.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

One thing the AI seems to be better at now is setting war goals. My federation proposed war a few times against a huge block of rival empires with defensive pacts, and in over half of the instances set up a nice set of war goals where they would get a few planets near them and I would vassalize a major nearby power (or in the case of a defensive war on one of my federation allies when they pissed off the Xenophobe FE, the ally in question set it up so I got ceded most of their planets). Used to be they'd give me nothing in war goals but maybe some humiliate influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

It's quite unlike reddit to have any good ideas, but you really haven't lived until you conquer a few of your neighbours planets, gene mod their pops into delicious livestock and sell that excess food back to the empire you just took the planets from.

• Locked thread