Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Ed Leslie had a whole bunch of themes too, same with Big Show.

If we're counting theme's people had while in tag teams Kevin Nash has 16 different theme songs.

1) Master Blasters Theme
2)Terrible Buttrock theme #1
3)Terrible Buttrock theme #2
4)Literally just truck noises
5)Truck noises with a blues riff
6)NWO Theme
7)Fugees Theme
8)Wolfpac Theme
9)Really bad chugga chugga guitar riff theme
10-16)Fuckawful TNA themes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

magnum_valentino posted:

I think the first one might be Shawn Michaels, with the caveat that he briefly used DX's music even when on his own during 97-98 and occasionally later.
It's probably Bret Hart if you count remixes. If inactive years don't count, then it's probably Vince at this point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you count remixes the Undertaker has had like 40 themes.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

It's probably Bret Hart if you count remixes. If inactive years don't count, then it's probably Vince at this point.

I don't remember Lawler's WWE music changing since like 1993, but I could have forgotten something.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Also, Jushin Thunder Liger's used the exact same theme since 1989, and amazingly enough he's still going strong.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ed Leslie had a whole bunch of themes too, same with Big Show.

If we're counting theme's people had while in tag teams Kevin Nash has 16 different theme songs.

1) Master Blasters Theme
2)Terrible Buttrock theme #1
3)Terrible Buttrock theme #2
4)Literally just truck noises
5)Truck noises with a blues riff
6)NWO Theme
7)Fugees Theme
8)Wolfpac Theme
9)Really bad chugga chugga guitar riff theme
10-16)Fuckawful TNA themes

One of his TNA themes was a really obvious ripoff of Still D.R.E, I think?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Can anyone recommend some good Tommy End/Aleister Black matches to check out? I'm really completely unfamiliar with him outside of the little I've seen in NXT and what I've read on message boards and such. But I am v intrigued bc his kicks loving own.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Professor Funk posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Tommy End/Aleister Black matches to check out? I'm really completely unfamiliar with him outside of the little I've seen in NXT and what I've read on message boards and such. But I am v intrigued bc his kicks loving own.

End vs Hero from PWG Don't Sweat the Technique
Johnny Gargano and Drew Galloway vs Heroes Eventually Die (Chris Hero and Tommy End) EVOLVE 53

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

heroes eventually die vs callihan/sabre from some evolve show was really good

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
Why do WWE backstage interviews all end in the interviewer staring into the distance instead of saying "Back to you, Cole"?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Why do WWE backstage interviews all end in the interviewer staring into the distance instead of saying "Back to you, Cole"?

its some sort of weird Vince directive.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They are starstruck because they were in the presence of a WWE Superstar.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Gumball Gumption posted:

They are starstruck because they were in the presence of a WWE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOperstar.

ftfy

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

WWE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOperstar.

I hope the Cookie Crisp guy gets a nickel every time a WWE ring announcer does that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
According to the AIW guys, Matt Riddle was a totally unprofessional rear end in a top hat at one point, but I only heard their side. What was that dust up all about?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

rotinaj posted:

According to the AIW guys, Matt Riddle was a totally unprofessional rear end in a top hat at one point, but I only heard their side. What was that dust up all about?

AIW asked him if he was free for some dates several months in advance. He said at the moment he was free. They took that as them being locked in with Riddle. He didn't take it that way. Riddle backed out and when asked about it started in on how he didn't like his booking, the locker room environment, etc. Thorne posted that Riddle was off the AIW show and would not work for them going forward because he didn't like his booking. Riddle didn't take well to the booking thing getting out.

Basically, Riddle didn't like jobbing to Louis Lyndon, I guess.

In fairness to Thorne and AIW, Thorne said Riddle was about as nice as anyone could possibly be before this dustup and suddenly with the date thing Riddle just started all in on the promotion and various things he didn't like.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A lot of it was Gabe/WWN's doing. They didn't want him working for AIW for whatever reason. Most of Riddle's complaints seemed like were fed to him by a third party. When Matt was interviewed a lot of what he had said made little sense or conflicted with past statements.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Where should I start with ECW? I know absolutely nothing about it other than various tales I have read here and that one Bubba promo. Hardcore TV? What year? I dono!

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Heatwave 98 is a good jump off point. Kinda more or less sums up the company. If you don't like it you probably won't like too much else from them.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
cool will check it out!
https://youtu.be/iy-Llcpeymc <meanwhile checkout sandman's meth sores

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Heatwave 1998 is good but don't make the mistake of thinking ECW was good during the era where they ran PPVs.

From a week-to-week basis, 1995-1996 were their best years, and then Paul Heyman ran out of ideas and the booking suffered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Really with a few exceptions, ECW PPVs aren't really worthwhile because ECW wasn't really a workrate fed that put on great big matches, their appeal was the crazy rear end week-to-week booking.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

Alain Post posted:

Really with a few exceptions, ECW PPVs aren't really worthwhile because ECW wasn't really a workrate fed that put on great big matches, their appeal was the crazy rear end week-to-week booking.

Are there any insane must see moments (as in not spots) other than the Bubba heatwave promo?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jerry Lawler invading ECW in '97 was one of the promotion's high points, maybe one of the last really high points that didn't involve Tanaka getting headshotted with a chair.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

astrollinthepork posted:

cool will check it out!
https://youtu.be/iy-Llcpeymc <meanwhile checkout sandman's meth sores

Believe it or not, Sandman is back to looking pretty healthy again (he had knee surgery somewhat recently).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

Believe it or not, Sandman is back to looking pretty healthy again (he had knee surgery somewhat recently).

Christ is he immortal or something?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Also keep in mind that ECW was absolutely a zeitgeist. There's some poo poo in there that's offensively bad by today's standards, but absolutely nobody else was doing anything like it at the time. Might as well just start as early as you can and work your way forward.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
ECW is like Monty Python, in that nerds won't shut up about it and they only made a few hours of stuff that was any good

IN THE CONTEXT OF ITS ERA though it was legitimately mind blowing, though. Having to stay up to 1AM to catch Hardcore TV on the Spanish channel in ther early internet era made it feel illicit, and not just because you had to sit though that "THE NIGHT KIMONA WANALAYA DANCED ATOP THE ECW ARENA"* promo a thousand times

*aka the night Paul E convinced a stripper who they gave a racist gimmick to show her tits to calm down the live audience when they blew a transformer or something then he filmed it and put it on national TV against her wishes! Oh ECW

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
The gimmicky stuff is awful but they also hired a lot of really talented people and just let them do their thing, which was a novel practice at the time. FInd people you're a fan of and watch their matches instead of slogging through entire shows. Tajiri, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko and Steve Austin are some good people to check out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One thing about ECW matches is lots of them had no flow. Within 90 seconds someone already took a chair shot and went through a table and then the same thing in the next match. Foley described ECW as the equivalent of seeing someone getting shot out of a cannon for three hours.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Sometimes the preview channel would advertise ecw ppvs so that's how I learned about sabu before I started buying tapes off of a guy in some geocities site.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

dont even fink about it posted:

Christ is he immortal or something?

He must have switched from coke to food-grade preservatives at some point, because these photos are from earlier this year and he doesn't look much more haggard than your standard 50-year-old.

http://www.ringsidenews.com/2017/01/12/sandman-undergoes-surgery-check-new-knee/

As for ECW, they always had good (or at least interesting) main events, and given that they often had nothing but mediocre East Coast indy guys and WWF/WCW castoffs to work with, they did pretty well. Not to mention that the two main promotions were often worse than ECW was in the mid-90s.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

ECW is the place that took loving Johnny Polo from WWF and managed to get Raven and his subsequent career out of him. Heyman's ability to book around a person's flaws was magical

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They managed to make Public Enemy, who sucked rear end, incredibly over

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

ECW is the place that took loving Johnny Polo from WWF and managed to get Raven and his subsequent career out of him. Heyman's ability to book around a person's flaws was magical

Raven is a bad example since a lot of that was his own ideas.

Compared to subsequent wrestling history which were all Raven, DDP or Vince Russo's ideas.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The Dudleys mostly sucked and got to be all time legends, that had to be good booking.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The Dudleys mostly sucked and got to be all time legends, that had to be good booking.

I agree, Vince Russo was able to get both of them over as singles wrestlers, and thus is better than Paul Heyman.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
https://youtu.be/xrd2mkHyaMM?t=42m25s

I had no idea how much Mankind sounded like Funk.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
What does Day One Ish mean in the context of WWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

King Bahamut posted:

Having to stay up to 1AM to catch Hardcore TV on the Spanish channel in ther early internet era made it feel illicit, and not just because you had to sit though that "THE NIGHT KIMONA WANALAYA DANCED ATOP THE ECW ARENA"* promo a thousand times

*aka the night Paul E convinced a stripper who they gave a racist gimmick to show her tits to calm down the live audience when they blew a transformer or something then he filmed it and put it on national TV against her wishes! Oh ECW

Yes, but can you confirm or deny whether or not Tommy Dreamer vs Primetime Brian Lee was HIGH INCIDENT?