Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well since we did the Squadron and there's been talk of him. I think we'll just go ahead and knock this one out.

Day 51: Nighthawk

Here's both Nighthawks as written up in the Marvel Handbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They both got their powers from drinking strange concoctions that somehow gave them both the same powers.

Psychosomatic telekinesis does it again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As I understand it, and I don't, really, Grandmaster created the Squadron Sinister by gathering, manipulating and empowering random people that he happened to know were heroes in an alternate earth, because he thought that'd be the best way to beat the mightiest heroes of this earth. So it's not quite a coincidence so much as a cosmic entity being a plagiarist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only real important difference you need to remember between the two Nighthawks is that one likes to show off his butt.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'm sad that the Supreme Power versions never got to be in a Handbook.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

NorgLyle posted:

I'm not. :getin:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The very beginnings of the book were pretty good and fun. It's just a shame that JMS went crazy or whatever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NorgLyle posted:

I'm pretty sure they got this in 2005 and then nothing else until the Fact Files series.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I have nearly the entire run of Defenders, and Nighthawk II is the most boring, generic character ever. The only thing notable about him is how long he managed to stick with the Defenders when the membership was changing every other month or so.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So did these two ever meet in a diner or what

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Selachian posted:

I have nearly the entire run of Defenders, and Nighthawk II is the most boring, generic character ever. The only thing notable about him is how long he managed to stick with the Defenders when the membership was changing every other month or so.

I actually kind of love that about Nighthawk; he tries so hard to turn the Defenders into a legit superhero team, and it never works.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What I like about Nighthawk is that he's a guy who tries really hard to be a superhero but deep down he's more of an accountant or a CEO. But darn it, he really wants to be Batman!

TripleU
Jun 25, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I actually kind of love that about Nighthawk; he tries so hard to turn the Defenders into a legit superhero team, and it never works.

Lurdiak posted:

What I like about Nighthawk is that he's a guy who tries really hard to be a superhero but deep down he's more of an accountant or a CEO. But darn it, he really wants to be Batman!

Nighthawk's dad was the CEO of some Big Pharma company, too, wasn't he? That would be an interesting take -- the rich boy who became Batman Lite because he could, since he never had to work & had a ton of money. He's trying to make his mark on the world by building a superhero team but deep down he's a staid, corporate type and dealing with the kinds of people who'd fall into superheroics isn't really his deal. I think you guys figured out a way to make non-Straczynzski Nighthawk worth reading!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TripleU posted:

Nighthawk's dad was the CEO of some Big Pharma company, too, wasn't he? That would be an interesting take -- the rich boy who became Batman Lite because he could, since he never had to work & had a ton of money. He's trying to make his mark on the world by building a superhero team but deep down he's a staid, corporate type and dealing with the kinds of people who'd fall into superheroics isn't really his deal. I think you guys figured out a way to make non-Straczynzski Nighthawk worth reading!
So you mean Nite Owl?

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Was that Nite Owl's background? I really don't remember anymore. He was the least awful character in Watchmen, from what I can recall, so maybe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe he was an engineer (built all his own tech) who also wrote articles for ornithology journals.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe he was an engineer (built all his own tech) who also wrote articles for ornithology journals.
He was some independently wealthy geek who got permission from Hollis Mason to use his tag. He was able to build the owlship and poo poo (which was apparently remarkable if not shockingly futuristic by Watchmen standards) out of his family money. After they shut down the superheroing he decided to become fat and impotent, and write articles about birds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 52: Slug

He's really fat. So yeah.

His distinguishing feature is his long torso? OK Handbook.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So basically he's the Kingpin without the physical fitness.

Special Skills and Abilities posted:

The Slug's high percentage of fat enables him to float effortlessly in water.

It's not a special ability if large swathes of America have it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another very wide man.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
The most impressive one is:

Special Ability: Somehow doesn't have diabetes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cactus Jack posted:

The most impressive one is:

Special Ability: Somehow doesn't have diabetes.

That's totally an assumption your part sir! I'm sure there's an insulin based story with Slug sitting in a desk somewhere at Marvel HQ.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, the fact that his light sensitive eyes rate above his weighing a thousand pounds as a limitation is his super power.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I feel like I should know why that guy is a Party Nazi but it's escaping me atm.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Seeing Cap face down in an obese man's tit, I'm finally over the classic Cap costume.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Slug randomly show up in New Avengers only to be revealed to be a Skrull?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rirse posted:

Didn't Slug randomly show up in New Avengers only to be revealed to be a Skrull?

Do you think Skrulls back in their empire are worried that people are secretly humans?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rirse posted:

Yeah, during Secret Invasion he was one of the many c-list villains in Hood's gang. Hood used Dormammu-vision to figure out he was a skrull and ganked him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

gently caress. Now I want Mystique to infiiltrate the Skrulls. I'm just going to put Mystique Agent of S.W.O.R.D. out there.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 14, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

gently caress. Now I want Mystique to infiiltrate the Skrulls. I'm just going to put Mystique Agent on S.W.O.R.D. out there.

Honestly the skrulls are so beaten down at this point that it'd be pretty mean to go and gently caress with them. But that's still a fun premise.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mystique copies Death and fools Thanos. An escalating series of events where she's in over her head.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lightning Lord posted:

I feel like I should know why that guy is a Party Nazi but it's escaping me atm.
Stop me if this sounds familiar, but Nomad III gets brainwashed by a long-time foe of Captain America's into believing that he has actually been a Nazi his entire life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nomad's life is a really depressing journey.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I had that Web of Spider-Man annual with Slug on the cover as a kid and he literally puts a random thug underneath his fat folds and smothers him to death in it. hosed me up as a child.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Ever since I first saw him in some book I've been curious about how the Slug came to exist. Marvel already had Kingpin, the original Stay Puft Crime Boss and they also had the Blob whose power is literally superfat. What possessed them to say 'You know what? We need one more enormous fat dude but I feel like we should rastafy him by about 10 percent or so."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tato posted:

I had that Web of Spider-Man annual with Slug on the cover as a kid and he literally puts a random thug underneath his fat folds and smothers him to death in it. hosed me up as a child.

There is absolutely no way this isn't a fetish thing. Not even Garth Ennis went there in Preacher.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
No, but Garth Ennis DID write the Marvel Knights Punisher storyline where a kid's obese mom falls on top of him and dies, forcing him to eventually eat his way through her decaying giant body. He then develops an intense fetish for it and starts murdering homeless folk in the subway so he can build a giant mountain of dead bodies to dig inside of.

I don't know what else to say besides "Garth Ennis"

Tato fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 14, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving Garth Ennis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really should have known better.

• Locked thread