Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Back in 1997, when the show went to the Sci-Fi Network, I had to get satellite service in order to get the channel since my local cable company (who would be absorbed by Comcast) didn't carry it.

This was back when you had to buy the equipment and there were no DVRs. It was over $1000.

Now, I'm getting the Dish Hopper 2 and will be able to stream Netflix . My TV can stream it, but I can record the show with the new DVR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Gaz-L posted:

So you'd be 2 eps deep by midnight if it came out at 9 o'clock?

If it was at 9, I'd watch it at 9.

Point is, I stay up late enough that I don't have an issue about watching at midnight. Brings me back to when I binge watched a bunch of episodes during my undergrad while staying up late to finish oil painting assignments.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Here's another MST3K article I wrote. A look at the "landmark" episodes throughout the years.

Frank retweeted it, so I'm pretty pumped.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

If it was at 9, I'd watch it at 9.

Point is, I stay up late enough that I don't have an issue about watching at midnight. Brings me back to when I binge watched a bunch of episodes during my undergrad while staying up late to finish oil painting assignments.

Oh poo poo, I love to watch MST3k while I paint! I use acrylics, though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've mostly been doing digital art as I listen to MST in the background and pen and ink drawings these days, oil paint is too expensive and messy even though it's a fun medium. I like acrylics too! :)

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 14, 2017

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Compendium posted:

I've mostly been doing digital art as I listen to MST in the background and pen and ink drawings these days, oil paint is too expensive and messy even though it's a fun medium. I like acrylics too! :)

Whoa, I did that tonight!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lotax was flabbergasted that the reboot cost so much money on twitter a few weeks back too.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Re 1104: Riffing was pretty good, but three out of four of the host segments were legit bad. They really seemed to be rushing and not letting the jokes set up or land, except for the post-movie one which JUST WOULDN'T END, so it wasn't just cutting for time. It's like they saved all their effort up for the big musical number.

Fun movie though. "All the other times I killed people, I was right."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Like 10 minutes to new MST3K get hype I didn't even Kickstart it wooooooo

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's going to actually be strange to have an entire season of MST3K just readily available to watch in its entirety, a thing which has basically never happened.

I might skip around like I always have, but I feel like I should watch the season in order now that it's no trouble to do so. Regardless, I'm totally psyched to finally be able to watch this when I get off work in a few hours.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Staying up to watch this is cool because it's kinda like having to stay up to watch the show in the early 90s was

Time to smoke a bunch of weed

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
COME ONNNNNNNN

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
WE GOT MOVIE SIGN

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Where the gently caress is it?

n/m

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Already delighted by the new mads.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I never thought I'd smile at the American International logo, but here we are! :-p

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Man, it's the small riffs that get me.

"You know, an aquarium is just a pet store that doesn't sell anything."

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Compendium posted:

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN

Im still in the opening sequence and I love it. I wish I had known about this when it was still backable. I'd have thrown at least a few bucks. It's, it's widescreen!! Yay!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Watching 1101 and just have to say "Vroom, vroom, I'm driving the freezer!" has undone me.

This is very good.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Watching 1101 and not enjoying Tom Servo flying. Just seems distracting, but maybe I'll get over it in time.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I hate Tom Servo's new voice!

Crow isn't too bad. Sure I'll get used to them soon enough, though.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Crow is fine oh god they can move their hands now but I'll have to get used to the new Tom Servo. Kevin Murphy will always be Servo in my heart.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
So far this is much better then I thought it would be, but I'm usually cynical about reboots/returns. There are only a few things that bother me so far about it, like the sight gags (Tom flying around, etc.), which feel like the little skits they would do on Cinematic Titanic which always fell flat for me. I also think that Patton Oswalt so far is not great, but truthfully, I know that's just me wanting TV's Frank instead. At least it isn't J. Elvis Weinstein.

On the other hand, Baron Vaughn, Jonah Ray and Hampton Yount are great, they have great chemistry and fit the style perfectly.

I am so glad it's back.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

The "Reptilicus Mash" had me dying

Now that it's live, are we still spoilering everything?

I've already had enough laughs that any nit picking is forgiven. Learn to love the changes, it makes everything better that way!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I feel like I never really left even though I became a fan only a few years ago and then waited another good year for this to be a thing. It feels so good to be back.

Goddammit, I laughed at, "Why do they always talk about my bulge :argh:"

Compendium fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 14, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Holy gently caress the Monster song had my dying.

This new rapidfire riff style is amazing, honestly. And as someone who got into MST3k as a small child it's even funnier now because more of the riffs land.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man when they said this was huge fans trying to capture the spirit of a s how they loved they weren't kidding. I could nitpick some stuff and all but this is great already and so clearly a passion project for the people in it.

The higher quality puppets are JARRING though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This is real loving good. Like I'm a kid waking up early on Sunday mornings again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm like halfway through the first episode and the best word I can think of to describe this is "surreal".

Not in a bad way, it's just similar but different enough to be strange

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The guy doing Crow sounds so much like Corbett it's scary.

I'm seeing the things people have been nitpicking about earlier this week but I just can't give a poo poo. It's minor stuff and the riffing is great.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I don't mind either of the bots' voices at all, but I'm honestly having a hard time differentiating between them sometimes. Murphy's lower pitched voice made it easier before.

Am I crazy or do I need a new sound bar

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I don't mind either of the bots' voices at all, but I'm honestly having a hard time differentiating between them sometimes. Murphy's lower pitched voice made it easier before.

Am I crazy or do I need a new sound bar

Everything is like that. I remember when I was a kid not being able to tell which one was Mike and which was Crow. Same with every podcast I've ever listened to that has two guys on it. Eventually you listen/watch enough, and it's weird that you ever couldn't tell them apart.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the entire thawing scene/"THE TEMPERATURE IS 20 DEGREES" bit is one of my new favorites

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

the entire thawing scene/"THE TEMPERATURE IS 20 DEGREES" bit is one of my new favorites

"THE DOOR IS AJAR."

Holy poo poo that arrangement of the Love Theme at the end.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The Danish Army! Cheaper than extras! Less busy!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Episode 1 was good for me. I'm very happy they're doing plenty of musical entertainment. That was always my favorite stuff in mst3k classic and rifftrax.

Gotta start episode 2 to get a proper sample!

Chickety China and the Chinese chicken :smaug:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just finished Reptilicus. God, that Monster Rap is too good.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

"I've shouted at three different boys' schools, is this the right Paul?!"

"We're dogs! We're here to say we love you Paul!"

Going to wake up everyone in the house laughing like this.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 14, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"You know, they never talk about the good things Reptilicus has done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
God 5 minutes in and this movie in episode 2 is loving weird