Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Cool game, its funny how sneaking around with and without shoes just ends up with you sounding like youre stomping though. Doesnt seem like it matters much as not many people pay attention to that in the open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well I've been trying to get into gunfights more to get my aim etc a bit better, as I haven't used a mouse and keyboard since the 90's.

Ran around the entire match looking to slaughter and didn't see a single person. A few vehicles drove by as I looted houses.

Got to the final sector as the wall was closing in and people started arriving. 11 people left, finally I hear a vehicle approaching. It flies over a small berm and plows over me.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Damaged helmets reduce less of the damage than undamaged helmets.

A level 3 with about 150 left is equal to a fresh level 2.

A level 2 with about 90 left is equal to a fresh level 1.

The more damage armor takes, the less good it does. It's not a flat modifier.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

jonathan posted:

Well I've been trying to get into gunfights more to get my aim etc a bit better, as I haven't used a mouse and keyboard since the 90's.

Ran around the entire match looking to slaughter and didn't see a single person. A few vehicles drove by as I looted houses.

Got to the final sector as the wall was closing in and people started arriving. 11 people left, finally I hear a vehicle approaching. It flies over a small berm and plows over me.

Drop down to high loot areas. You're bound to immediately run into at least 3-4 people in a frantic search for a gun.

I could swear after todays patches, the game now runs a whole lot smoother than before.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

jonathan posted:

Last night I landed up on some radio tower station. Got a bunch of sweet guns. Was about to head down the cliff when I saw some guy a couple hundred meters below me how stopped right as I did. I carefully took aim, fired off probably 6 shots and didn't hit him once. gently caress I suck at this game. Then I go to reposition and realized it was my own shadow.

It must be this place, yeah? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC4yN1YoV5c&t=706s (about 11:45)

I've always heard that fresh helmet/armour always beats a smashed up one.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I feel you, I'm pushing 40 and I'm the same way. This game, though, is one of the few games that proves the sage advice "old age and treachery beats youthful exuberance" as mostly true. I dunno how many hours you have in the game so far, but you'll get better at the aiming. Concentrate on strategy and positioning and the rest will come in time.

Similar age, and true advice. Only about 20 hours so far with a round or two a day. Just not a lot of room for mistakes after a long round of effort, so it's slow for accumulating experience as I go from overcautious to overconfident and back.

I realized my mouse sensitivity is way higher than I usually use for marksman mode, so lowering it a good bet has helped. I almost have a 1:1 k/d now! I usually save the recording of my deaths to see what I did wrong and I'm often hitting just to the sides of them or it's a latency thing since I have crappy internet. I dunno if it's like that for everyone, but in my pan kill video you can see the delay from my swing to the hit registration seems a bit long. Shooting seems similar so it makes leading a bit wonky and I usually lose in CQC.

I deleted and had the .ini files refresh and my game performance seems much better than it was, too.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
That might be the greatest kill I've seen in PUBG so far, it should be in the OP IMO

Orv
May 4, 2011
But did they stick the landing?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Part of me wants a the *bong* of someone getting killed by a frying pan to be server-wide.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

AzureSkys posted:

I dunno if it's like that for everyone, but in my pan kill video you can see the delay from my swing to the hit registration seems a bit long. Shooting seems similar so it makes leading a bit wonky and I usually lose in CQC.

It's like that for me as well, and as far as I know, everyone else for that matter. The tickrate seems very low. Or maybe the player pings are generally just high. You might have killed someone on your screen, but if the server sees that your opponent killed you 0.3 seconds before you killed him, then the game rolls back on your screen and shows that you didn't actually kill him. That's why dudes seem to take +7 hits to die when it should only take 4 shots to kill. Likewise, if you win a CQC fight, odds are your opponent had killed you on his screen and is getting upset.

In practice the low tickrate / high lag also means that you should always focus on peeking and being the aggressive player in CQC fights. Low tickrate prefers the peeker since the peeker can shoot at his opponent for free before that opponent even sees him on his screen

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 13, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Also mouse smoothing is on by default.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

Similar age, and true advice. Only about 20 hours so far with a round or two a day. Just not a lot of room for mistakes after a long round of effort, so it's slow for accumulating experience as I go from overcautious to overconfident and back.

I realized my mouse sensitivity is way higher than I usually use for marksman mode, so lowering it a good bet has helped. I almost have a 1:1 k/d now! I usually save the recording of my deaths to see what I did wrong and I'm often hitting just to the sides of them or it's a latency thing since I have crappy internet. I dunno if it's like that for everyone, but in my pan kill video you can see the delay from my swing to the hit registration seems a bit long. Shooting seems similar so it makes leading a bit wonky and I usually lose in CQC.

I deleted and had the .ini files refresh and my game performance seems much better than it was, too.

I thought bioware fixed the combat cutscenes.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The lag's been a lot worse lately. I've been getting hit a lot way after I'm in cover. Hell, I've even shotgunned people with massive blood splurts and been given no hit points.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yeah im done lol

welp

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Despite the lag, I did win my first solo today. I had two chance meetings with other dudes in the hill south of Pochinki, after I looted power plant. I won both of the close range spam feats by having my my m16 on burst. The second guy gifted me an AR silencer and sniper silencer for the decked out m24 I got from a crate earlier. The circle ended up near the south shore of the main island, so I tucked myself into the rocky area, silenced headshot sniping two guys with the m24 and taking out the unaware last guy with my M16, who was kind enough to prone facing away from me after I shot him twice. Silencers help a lot and I finally was able to get kills with the m24 despite it always feeling wonky to me.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
With almost 200 Rounds I went the first time to Zharki today.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
God my fov is like looking through a tube and mouse smoothness is back on now wtf

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Scarecow posted:

God my fov is like looking through a tube and mouse smoothness is back on now wtf

fun over

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

https://webmshare.com/play/QYrO1

Shot a dude out of a window during a lag spike. :byewhore:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was getting good (140 +) fps on medium settings until today's patch. Now it jumps around all over the place. Tried resetting the settings to default. Maybe I'll delete some .ini's

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
My FPS has been sitting at 60-70 on my laptop since day one

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Well, my squad and I just won #7, poo poo is intense every loving time.

e- awww yeah top 500 in squad now

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 14, 2017

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Logged back in for the first time since the patch, and my guys' shaved head has grown a miraculous amount in just a couple days...

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Minorkos posted:

It's like that for me as well, and as far as I know, everyone else for that matter. The tickrate seems very low. Or maybe the player pings are generally just high. You might have killed someone on your screen, but if the server sees that your opponent killed you 0.3 seconds before you killed him, then the game rolls back on your screen and shows that you didn't actually kill him. That's why dudes seem to take +7 hits to die when it should only take 4 shots to kill. Likewise, if you win a CQC fight, odds are your opponent had killed you on his screen and is getting upset.

In practice the low tickrate / high lag also means that you should always focus on peeking and being the aggressive player in CQC fights. Low tickrate prefers the peeker since the peeker can shoot at his opponent for free before that opponent even sees him on his screen

Have you guys played any ARMA based game before?

At this point I think the lag/tickrate is build into the engine

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
The second worst experiences with lag come in close quarters combat. The absolute worst experiences come when you make a mad dash for cover while taking lots of fire, make it to that tree/rock alive, only to keel over dead because you haven't made it to cover yet on his screen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

abigserve posted:

Have you guys played any ARMA based game before?

At this point I think the lag/tickrate is build into the engine

But this game doesn't use the ARMA engine?

I'm pretty sure that having 90 players on a single instance is challenging from a technical perspective and that this forces the game to delegate many calculations to the client, which both makes cheating easier and has the potential of introducing massive desync between the clients.

Indeed all these issues exist in ARMA, but I think PUGB had to re-invent them all on their own rather than inherit them from the engine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, it's the 100 players & big map thing. Every other Unreal 4 game I've played has had fantastic smooth netcode. The game gets a lot better in regards to lag when most of the people die off.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But this game doesn't use the ARMA engine?

I'm pretty sure that having 90 players on a single instance is challenging from a technical perspective and that this forces the game to delegate many calculations to the client, which both makes cheating easier and has the potential of introducing massive desync between the clients.

Indeed all these issues exist in ARMA, but I think PUGB had to re-invent them all on their own rather than inherit them from the engine.

gently caress me this entire time I thought it was based on ARMA.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Somehow the unreal engine might be worse.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Somehow the unreal engine might be worse.

Look at this wrong opinion

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
3rd person was such a perplexingly stupid decision for this game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

a first person only mode is coming

someone probably says this once per page

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
They say next week is the first monthly patch which will bring in some new content (they said a new gun is gonna be in there) but it's also their first optimization patch and I really hope it smooths some things over, because I feel like I'm at the point where I'd rather put the game down for now and come back at a later time when it runs better. Hopefully I won't have to wait long!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

It's a holdover from the DayZ/Arma mod days. I don't mind it really, it is what it is.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

This game can be pretty fun sometimes:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/135524260

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Anyone knows if it's possible to force the game to output audio in surround somehow?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think the 3rd person stuff is a bit lame but at a certain point there's so many other factors at play in gunfights that being able to peek someone over a wall or window is really the least of your problems. It would certainly make it more interesting though if you couldn't scout without exposing yourself.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I was hiding behind a concrete wall and saw a guy on the other side.. I was in perfect position to blast his head off when he comes around the corner.... Oh he can jump above the wall and shoot me... gently caress.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How do I turn mouse smoothing back off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

fyallm posted:

I was hiding behind a concrete wall and saw a guy on the other side.. I was in perfect position to blast his head off when he comes around the corner.... Oh he can jump above the wall and shoot me... gently caress.

This is literally how I lost one of my solo games where I came 2nd place.

• Locked thread