Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dren posted:

If it were up to me there would be no tab screen. Instead you'd get the list of teams/ult status/hp at the top of the screen like in spectator mode and that's it.
I'd like to have it just so I could have an idea of how I'm doing myself, at least in qp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

It should probably be on the bottom somewhere to prevent blocking your view. Kinda need to be able to see as much as possible.

That's why part two of my genius UX plan is giving players the ability to move hud elements around or even hide them. (Idea totally not stolen from guild wars 1).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

I'd like to have it just so I could have an idea of how I'm doing myself, at least in qp.

Did you win? Then you're doing pretty good.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

It can be kind of okay way to tell if your teammates are hot garbage, like if you have 1 min left on point A and see you as a supp are tied for gold elims with 1, you know conclusively how bad your team is rather than it being just a general feeling.

tied for golds at 1 elim just means you're getting stomped which can be from a whole host of reasons

my favorite thing in this game is matches where your team gets your asses handed to you and whoever has the 4 elim gold medal goes WELL I TRIED MY BEST COULDN"T CARRY YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ok, just beat Expert lore/story version in solo queue with Mercy. I guess people queuing those harder modes are all like minded and are willing to work together, haha. But yeah, definitely need a solid Rein and decent enough Tracer. It's not too bad and is really fun/challenging, especially as Mercy imo. Gonna try Legendary mode this weekend.

[edit] Rein, Bastion, Orisa, Mercy perfectly viable comp for legendary all heroes mode. Super fun to play too. Legendary lore mode is something. Furthest I've gotten was the first two Orisas.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 14, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

phthalocyanine posted:

tied for golds at 1 elim just means you're getting stomped which can be from a whole host of reasons

my favorite thing in this game is matches where your team gets your asses handed to you and whoever has the 4 elim gold medal goes WELL I TRIED MY BEST COULDN"T CARRY YOU

yeah I mean or having gold healing as 76 or w/e just interpret it how you will but my point was when you have an abnormal medal it's kinda clear someone(s) aren't doing their job.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

People gonna chase the numbers/medals/killfeed no matter what. It'd help if you just didn't get recognized for out of role performance like damage as mercy or healing as soldier. Just cut it down to 3 or 4 cards per game end screen and throw up a card for top healing as a healer, top damage blocked, top killshots, etc instead of encouraging dumbasses to do poo poo like play Reinhardt so aggressively as to be dead for half the match and ineffective for half of what's left.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

People gonna chase the numbers/medals/killfeed no matter what. It'd help if you just didn't get recognized for out of role performance like damage as mercy or healing as soldier. Just cut it down to 3 or 4 cards per game end screen and throw up a card for top healing as a healer, top damage blocked, top killshots, etc instead of encouraging dumbasses to do poo poo like play Reinhardt so aggressively as to be dead for half the match and ineffective for half of what's left.

I feel like when you get off role medals it's less cause it was what you were going for and more because the people performing that role were literally just that bad but ymmv

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like when you get off role medals it's less cause it was what you were going for and more because the people performing that role were literally just that bad but ymmv

Yeah that's usually the case but when that happens just skip the card, show something else, and stop including cards just for getting the most medals.

Oh boo hoo lil' Billy Gosu didn't get a happy sticker on his chart today, welp sometimes they run out of stickers Billy you little entitled poo poo

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

"I have a smiley in damage, shut the gently caress up"

I like it
I am now convinced this is the superior system.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

World Famous W posted:

I am now convinced this is the superior system.

They should only have genji and orisa on the smiley system everyone else sees the regular old medals but an 11 year old designed orisa and genji is clearly genji

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah that's usually the case but when that happens just skip the card, show something else, and stop including cards just for getting the most medals.

Oh boo hoo lil' Billy Gosu didn't get a happy sticker on his chart today, welp sometimes they run out of stickers Billy you little entitled poo poo

i dunno i think your anger at these weird perceived e-bullies or w/e is less important than the game just straight up telling me that yeah my teamates were so bad I was doing better than them at their intended role. To me that takes the edge off a loss. Also on odd occasions where I'm the one who got dunked on in my own role it forces me to acknowledge that I was part of the problem. It just seems like a fair system.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ArbitraryC posted:

i dunno i think your anger at these weird perceived e-bullies or w/e is less important than the game just straight up telling me that yeah my teamates were so bad I was doing better than them at their intended role. To me that takes the edge off a loss. Also on odd occasions where I'm the one who got dunked on in my own role it forces me to acknowledge that I was part of the problem. It just seems like a fair system.

Oh I get where you're coming from, it's not that you wouldn't ring up a medal, it just wouldn't be throwing up a card to recognize the healer with the most killshots. If the healer does have the most killshots then that's just not getting a card. Healer still gets to count the medal because you absolutely were tops on the team, it's just that leading your team with kills as a healer isn't really much of an accomplishment if they're such trash that they're being outgunned by the mercy snotblaster.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Is there a tier list for heroes in Uprising? I've been trying to figure out which heroes are particularly good/bad for this mode. So far from what I've seen:

Core to an easy run tier
Reinhardt: Reliable shield that can survive most damage, attacks wide and powerful enough to rip down small guys
Mercy: Few enough allies to micromanage healing easily and access to speed revive
Orisa: Similar to Reinhardt, Orb can help with enemy configurations. Can mow down enemies and pressure shields.
Bastion: Just kills everything

Good tier
Roadhog: On sub-very hard difficulties, he can just eat most damage that isn't from Bastion with his fat and uses this to liberally revive people through mob damage. I ran a normal mode with 3 other DPS and saved my team with my revives and blubber. Ultimate rips up tiny bots with ease, forces crap off the cart. Hook is extremely powerful against the OR-14s if they stumble out from behind shield, and messes up Bastion AI.
Torbjorn and Tracer: Both surprisingly survivable compared to other heroes and liberal area control. The event was pretty deliberately designed around them. One can shoot in two directions at once and the other can generate super-explosions every few minutes.
Junkrat: Just solid AoE and close-combat performance in general. Traps and mines can distract enemies. Ultimate is risky but effective, best used by jumping in and activating it in the middle of enemies.
Ana: Basically Mercy but more utility for damage and sleeping bastions and less wiggle room for error.
Zenyatta: Good healing with good damage, same error deal with Ana.
Symmetra: Can attack through shields and distract enemies with buildings. Requires wildly different thinking than standard play to be effective, Laser chainsaw is not very effective in this mode due to bots having lots of HP and most damage coming from criticals.

OK tier
D.Va: Best used as a big DPS in early parts, soaks up Bastion shots in later parts, but requires considerably more team coordination to take bastions down than other tanks do.
Reaper: Healing gimmick is less reliable but ultimate is extremely good for clearing out and large clip is pretty reliable. Not as much utility as Roadhog.
Lucio: The team has to stay really close together for Lucio to really work in this mode. For some reason every single time a Lucio was present here that was exactly what didn't happen. Most times Boops have caused more issues here than help due to the really strong reliance on criticals in this game mode.
Mei: If the mei is good, can protect team from stuff and is pretty good at reviving. Damage output is poor though. Freeze requires strong paired DPS to be effective.
Sombra: The hack gimmick is cool but every single team I've had with a Sombra above Normal has failed. Control isn't compensated with the loss of a DPS. Needs a specific setup (a Bastion).

Bad tier
Pharah: Main gimmick of surprise aerials don't work well here. Not many opportunities to fly unless you're like really good at Gradius or something. Is basically Junkrat with less abilities and self-damage. Concussion probably can be used to some effect if ballsy with flying around shields. Barrage is still a suicide button. I think the one successful Pharah run I did was the only time I got literally 0 medals.
Winston: Tesla cannon only works well against huge mobs of small bots, is legitimately awful against anything larger. Shield does not have enough staying power to protect against things you'd want a shield for. I just had the idea that the utlimate can probably be used as a buffer to just revive people, probably better than just slapping things around uselessly.
Widowmaker: Ultimate is useless and she cannot work around all the shields. Most stuff without shields doesn't warrant the usage of precision sniping.

I don't know/haven't done a run, but they're probably good with the right setup
Zarya
Soldier 76

I don't know but they're probably just ok
Genji

I don't know but they're maybe bad
McCree
Hanzo

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
On Winston, he can eat up the big bombs pretty good. Not enough of a reason to bring him, but I do any ways cause I like playing him and gently caress you.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Torb should be top tier. He's incredible in the PVE event. Place the turret in the right spot and it does constant, uncontested damage while you run around shot gunning robots and throwing armor to teammates. His ult is super useful as well.

Torb, Rein, Bastion and Mercy is the dream team.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I tried Zarya but it's a pain trying to keep her energy up; even with it fully charged, it still takes awhile to kill enemies. Her right click is the most effective and her ult is good for dealing with enemies..

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Medals actually DO matter in a match as markers of performance.

Win rate matters LESS than folks think it does re: hero selection.

Team composition matters far, far less than team competence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah I mean or having gold healing as 76 or w/e just interpret it how you will but my point was when you have an abnormal medal it's kinda clear someone(s) aren't doing their job.

Doesn't show why they aren't doing their job, though. It's not terribly difficult for Soldier to outheal Lucio if the team is being a bunch of dopes, not sticking together, and trickling into battles. It's just that when the Soldier is tunnelvisioned and tilted, it's easier to see the medal and start blaming everything on the healer instead of noticing how long it's been since he's seen three members of his team in the same place at the same time.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Orisa is dope as gently caress, holy poo poo. The way she plays speaks to me on a deep level now I just have to stop being poo poo and learn how to aim ahead of people consistently so the travel time doesn't gently caress me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thanked someone for switching from Hanzo to Reinhardt because we had no tanks and he switched back to Hanzo for the match as soon as I said it lmao

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Thanked someone for switching from Hanzo to Reinhardt because we had no tanks and he switched back to Hanzo for the match as soon as I said it lmao

that'll learn ya to treat pubbies like humans

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Sounds like you got hanzowned

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Sounds like you got hanzowned

Sadly. I played some more of the event on normal for easy exp but people keep dropping out. Started with a Bastion, Mercy, Reaper, and Rein and by the time the payload unlocked only my Mercy and Bastion were still playing. I hadn't let anyone die so I dunno why they left, me and Bastion got pretty close to the doors too, lost on the last wave.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My first game had a S76 bitching about the team having no healers, rushing into the first hack point, dying and then RQing. We still won handily. gently caress that guy.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I chose Mei on hard and won! Using m2 for headshots and m1 for detonators and bastions worked out great. The wall even comes in handy for blocking cart damage!

The rest of the team was bastion, orisa, and mercy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bluhman posted:

I don't know but they're maybe bad
McCree
Hanzo

McCree is in the 'OK' tier if you're good at headshotting and otherwise in the 'bad' tier. FB stun just doesn't last long enough against most enemies, his ult is great though especially if you get like 20 enemies in it.

Hanzo is definitely in the 'OK' tier IMO. His sonic arrow is mostly useless, scatter arrow is OK against Bastions though it won't one-shot anything larger than a nulltrooper. Mostly though because the bots have critboxes the size of the moon (And of course his tree-trunk arrows are so ridiculously easy to crit with) and since his ult charges fast as hell and murders the living gently caress out of the spongebots he can do extremely well. It one-shots anything below an orisa if they're caught in the full duration (Tank bastions have a tendancy to run out of it sadly) and even the orisas walk away from the ult with like 20% or less health.

S:76 is great for high burst damage against important targets, even if his overall DPS is lower than Bastion I'd put him solidly in the 'Good' tier. Extra healing is never a bad thing, and in many cases can let him survive just long enough for a rez when necessary.

Every Genji I've seen has been on par with Pharah in the Bad tier. His mobility is offset by bots aimbotting, his damage is poor compared to others, zero survivability since he can't snatch medkits, everything is burst-shot so his reflects are super mediocre and everything has way too much health for his dash to be really effective.

khy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 14, 2017

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I ran Zarya and it's really tough to keep energy above 10% on the first two stages. You just don't take enough damage or draw enough aggro.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

I ran Zarya and it's really tough to keep energy above 10% on the first two stages. You just don't take enough damage or draw enough aggro.

I'd definitely put Zarya into the 'Bad' category, I've tried time and again and just can't seem to spit out enough damage or shielding to make a real difference. Her Ult isn't even that impressive since the most difficult/dangerous times are usually when there's a large number of bots in all directions, and the area of effect on her ult is somewhat smallish. Bots don't dodge so they aren't likely to get picked up by the graviton after it's fired.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

3v3 and I'm the last remaining player on our team and take out their Orisa and Symmetra to win. I was mercy :coal:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D.Va is like the only character I'm semi-competent with but I think she's more than okay for Uprising. Very effective and easy to charge ult, the barrier is good against enemy bastions, and she's almost completely self-sufficient since it's trivial to call back your mech if you get ejected. Her damage isn't so hot but she doesn't get torn up on the second half of the map like Winston.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

on normal I think it might actually be impossible to die as d.va with a mercy healing you. it's kinda funny

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Can now confirm S76 is pretty good. For a lot of hitscan characters you have to be pretty precise on criticals to lay into big targets though.

Totally forgot about Deadeye's coverage. Hanzo and McCree's ults are crowd wipers.

khy posted:

I'd definitely put Zarya into the 'Bad' category, I've tried time and again and just can't seem to spit out enough damage or shielding to make a real difference. Her Ult isn't even that impressive since the most difficult/dangerous times are usually when there's a large number of bots in all directions, and the area of effect on her ult is somewhat smallish. Bots don't dodge so they aren't likely to get picked up by the graviton after it's fired.

I reflected upon that after making the post; there really isn't a good middle-ground of damage in that event for Zarya to effectively use. Either enemies do like no damage or do unreasonably huge amounts, so the charge issue is a big problem among everything else noted.

The general verdict of good hero for uprising seems to be 'sturdy high-DPS dudes that work around heals'.

exquisite tea posted:

D.Va is like the only character I'm semi-competent with but I think she's more than okay for Uprising. Very effective and easy to charge ult, the barrier is good against enemy bastions, and she's almost completely self-sufficient since it's trivial to call back your mech if you get ejected. Her damage isn't so hot but she doesn't get torn up on the second half of the map like Winston.

Almost every run I did as Dva had her with gold damage, probably because I spent most of the first half of the fight boosting into the face of bots and just point-blank gunning them. Inversely most of those runs failed around the cart since my teammates just wouldn't hit the drat bastion while I'm eating all the bullets in the 5 second time window of my defense matrix. For some reason genjis like showing up when I run Dva and we end up just having a genji uselessly attempting to reflect bastion bullets that I'm vaporizing.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Has anyone run into the exploit that stops the bots spawning if you run to the door and stand there once the cart starts moving? Had some pubs doing it last night.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lowness 72 posted:

Has anyone run into the exploit that stops the bots spawning if you run to the door and stand there once the cart starts moving? Had some pubs doing it last night.

You can do this, and you can also stop the bots from spawning on the right set of stairs in the attackers spawn room by standing there. I feel like they'll probably hotfix the payload segment

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Genji is OK for non-legendary uprising. He gets pretty quick dash resets, but his value comes from being able to reflect bastion units and annihilator shots.He can also easily get to the critbox on the back of the annihilators as well. Sword is useful as well on the bombs if you can get a plate knocked off.

Arguably the unit he's weakest against its the standard null trooper, their crit box is too small to really make use of, so a lot of the damage you do against them is pretty incidental.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Lowness 72 posted:

What door?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

woops

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Presuming he means the gate at the end of the payload sector, the one you blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.