Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arcturas posted:

I always forget, what's the best native coexistence policy? (If it matters, I'm running a Uesugi game and going to colonize the spice islands. I thought about building tall but I'm not sure how that's exclusive with colonization.)

Native Trade gives bonus goods produced based on the native size of a colony, which is really nice. Unless for some reason you can't afford to spare a couple regiments for guard duty, that's the go-to choice. The one that adds +20 growth is nice though if your growth is otherwise terrible.

TorakFade posted:

So as Japan I have colonial nations in the random new world and Castille wants to steal their land. When they declare colonial war I don't get called in, I have to try to enforce peace, they say no, I boat my super Japanese Samurai over to their colonies, crush them and seize their poo poo

Is this how it's supposed to work? If I declare on a colonial nation their overlord gets auto called in, but I don't if they declare on my colonial subjects

I read on the paradox forums that CN call to arms are bugged right now, and that CN player overlords aren't properly receiving them. I'd advise against playing as a new world colonizer until that's fixed, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Arcturas posted:

I always forget, what's the best native coexistence policy? (If it matters, I'm running a Uesugi game and going to colonize the spice islands. I thought about building tall but I'm not sure how that's exclusive with colonization.)

Well I enjoy the pacific coexistence (the one that gets you no attacks). You lose out on goods produced, but you're in a position to colonize literally all of the spice islands before Euros arrive so it doesn't matter as much and I dislike having to garrison places and remember to have at least some army maintenance up.

If you're min-maxing and have the will to manage garrisons though, the one that gives you +goods produced because high population provinces + valuable trade goods makes you tons of money

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ethiopia is fun. Beating up all the nearby Muslims and getting cool Coptic bonuses. Right next door to two gold provinces. Is it possible to rush to the Cape of Good Hope too?

Yes it is, I did it in my last Ethiopia game, I got all coastal Cape in my pocket before Euros showed up at all. That meant I could freely colonize up to the spice islands, Ethiopian Australia is a sight to behold

Edit: my current Japan game - I am a tributary of Ming, I was waiting for russia to show up and pose a threat for them but it looks like it won't be happening this time around, they're getting beaten up by Lithuania, a terrifying Denmark and the hordes

Oh well, that means Siberia and Manchuria are all for me

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 13, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks folks. I can micro some garrisons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arcturas posted:

Thanks folks. I can micro some garrisons.

One benefit they didn't mention - your armies will not be attacked by natives as they march through uncolonized territory with the -100% uprising policy. It makes exploring the new world significantly safer and easier.

+20 settler growth is really good, especially early game, because it can almost double your base colonization speed, and it also helps to the effects of colonizing in inhospitable terrain.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'd choose the +20 settlers/year native policy if I could mark my colonial armies as exempt from lowered army maintenance costs. It's too much of a pain in the rear end to shuffle four armies around when you have four colonies running, and never being able to lower army maintenance.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Node posted:

I'd choose the +20 settlers/year native policy if I could mark my colonial armies as exempt from lowered army maintenance costs. It's too much of a pain in the rear end to shuffle four armies around when you have four colonies running, and never being able to lower army maintenance.

I ran min army maint as Portugal and armies sitting around in Africa, Asia, America, etc. (this is part of why I took quantity)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Node posted:

Absolutely. They already have the ability to mothball navies, why can't I mothball my home armies while I leave my colonial troops fully maintained?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Half maintenance full tech armies handle natives with ease, really.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Sure, but it's still a bit dumb that it's so all-or-nothing.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

I'm pretty sure they said on a stream this was why they had no intention of adding mothballed armies, it would just end up with one army funded and the rest all mothballed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I take native repression if I'm primarily colonizing the new world; the populations there are all too small for the trade good bonus to matter, and it's more important that I get colonies down on all of the provinces with high trade power

I take native trading if I'm primarily colonizing Africa/India/SE Asia because the population density in many of those provinces is pretty high and I can probably colonize without much competition if it's early enough

I never take coexistence but that's a pretty useful one for preserving manpower. Also saves you some hassle

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Am i missing something or can you no longer declare through your vassals claims? My first game this patch was with Japan and I just assumed you couldn't do it with Daiymo which seemed fair enough. However I'm now playing as Ayutthya and I can't seem to declare using Ligor's claim on Pattani. It just says no CB. Annoying as I will have to take Pattani myself to claim on Malacca. Am i just being dense or what?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So I'm playing the Aztec, and I've managed to flower-war my way to unlocking all the bonuses, and now I just need a neighbour with some kind of institution. Seems like developing a territory to feudalism and releasing it as a vassal doesn't make that vassal adopt feudalism by default anymore?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In my current game, countries aren't coming to the defense of their colonial nations at all. I'm at war with the colonial nation but not with their overlord. And yes, it still says that the colonial nation is a subject. Anyone else experience this? It's really making my Sun God run easy, but it's pretty obviously a bug.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I fulfilled three objectives, but the begin a golden era button is still greyed out. Is this seriously because I'm a tributary? I loving wish it would say so when hovering over it.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Can anyone tell me how to get vassals now? Both the diplomatic option and war goal are missing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Can anyone tell me how to get vassals now? Both the diplomatic option and war goal are missing.

Are you a tributary?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone figured out how institutions decide where to spawn, from among the eligible locations? I'm crossing my fingers as Japan that I can snag Colonialism. I have a port capital, a colony that satisfies one of the new world requirements (Palau, apparently?), and all that jazz.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
There needs to be a "Random Institutions" (which should not work for achievements) option like Random New World. The Renaissance started in Tidore!

Node fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 14, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It picks randomly from among all eligible provinces.

Since the europeans are usually a few years late on actually becoming eligible for it, you should be able to force it to appear in your land by being the only one actually eligible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Node posted:

There needs to be a "Random Institutions" (which should not work for achievements) option like Random New World. The Renaissance started in Tidore!

That sounds like it wouldn't be too terribly difficult of a mod to make.

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.
I'm pretty new to the game and am playing as scotland with all the expansions except for Mandate but I'm kinda stuck.

I'm trying to take over as many OPMs in Ireland as I can but England is wither allying with them or getting into royal marriages with them and I'm not in a position to pick a fight with England yet. Since I only have like 15k troops and running a monthly deficit where should I focus? I need to start bringing in money and I was trying to by making my trade power in the node increase by getting more land.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Has anyone figured out how institutions decide where to spawn, from among the eligible locations? I'm crossing my fingers as Japan that I can snag Colonialism. I have a port capital, a colony that satisfies one of the new world requirements (Palau, apparently?), and all that jazz.

You need to have discovered the New World, you don't even need to have a colony there. Just explore the coastline of the Americas. It's one of the objectives for Age of Discovery so it will show as completed in the Ages interface.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Fister Roboto posted:

Are you a tributary?

I was, actually, thank you.

Seems strange to have those options just disappear rather than make them unavailable and like have a tooltip.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That sounds like a bug, didn't they say that you're supposed to be able to have your own vassals as a tributary?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

That sounds like a bug, didn't they say that you're supposed to be able to have your own vassals as a tributary?

You can have non-tributary vassals as a tributary. A dumb thing about it is you cannot break a vassalage, should you want to, no matter what, if you're a tributary. I took a vassal that I had 500 AE with (oops) so I'd never be able to annex him. I was stuck with him until I broke off from Ming because of that.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Would that be the same reason I can't use my vassals claims to war as a tributary?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jpparker55 posted:

Would that be the same reason I can't use my vassals claims to war as a tributary?

I ran into that exact problem too and I'm guessing its because of that reason.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lifetime77 posted:

I'm pretty new to the game and am playing as scotland with all the expansions except for Mandate but I'm kinda stuck.

I'm trying to take over as many OPMs in Ireland as I can but England is wither allying with them or getting into royal marriages with them and I'm not in a position to pick a fight with England yet. Since I only have like 15k troops and running a monthly deficit where should I focus? I need to start bringing in money and I was trying to by making my trade power in the node increase by getting more land.

Scotland is a reasonably tough start. You pretty much need all of Ireland to meet England on anything like equal terms and you usually aren't going to get that without a fight. Your best bet is to buddy up with France as early as you can so that when England declares on France for Maine, you can get called in and seize some of northern England while their army is across the channel. If that doesn't work you can also try and ally with other continental mid-powers that dislike England (Burgundy is usually a safe bet) and take advantage of the inevitable war with France. The key is to tie them up on the continent so you can get a free hand in Britain. Comedy option: no-CB declare on East Friesland, annex them, and then buddy up to the emperor so you can join the HRE. You still need to find an opening but England can't just dogpile you as long as the emperor has your back.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Man, was it made significantly more common to not get stuck with a weak/no heir? I've played 3 games now in 1.20 as a diplo-monster and been utterly unable to get my dynasty on the throne of ANY kingdom, literally just sitting there spamming Royal Marriage with anyone that pops up heirless. Absolutely no bites and I've done nothing else. I don't remember it ever being remotely this hard before.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Has anyone had success with Rise of the White Sheep? I've had attempts where I will beat Qara Qoyunlu and even take Tabriz but then the Ottomans DOW me despite being me allied with the Mamlukes and Crimea and Arabian minors.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
The Ottomans seem to have benefited the most out of the more War trigger happy and extra opportunistic and reckless AI changes, given the hideous abilities and position they are in to annihilate anyone nearby without causing massive coalitions against them. By 1550 in most of my games the Ottos have eaten most of the Mamlukes, large chunks into Persia, Crimea, Hungary, and sometimes Poland, Venice and Austria. They still tend to ally France at the first opportunity for extra immunity to retaliation.

Other than lucking into them getting involved in a hell war with a European alliance where you may or may not be able to help crush them or somehow managing to get a stable alliance with them, the games where I have bordered the Ottomans recently have mostly ended in tears.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Contingency Plan posted:

Has anyone had success with Rise of the White Sheep? I've had attempts where I will beat Qara Qoyunlu and even take Tabriz but then the Ottomans DOW me despite being me allied with the Mamlukes and Crimea and Arabian minors.
I would give them their core that you own back once you take some other land - that may keep them off of your back long enough.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Looking forward to French Britain...those are Ottomans hiding behind the french up there. :allears:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

So, what's the best way to play Ming? I've been doing my first game as them, and I have the Renaissance embraced thanks to developing one of my 3 development farmland provinces, and every single neighbour of mine is a tributary.

However, I do think I hosed up a bit - I started off by converting some of my animist provinces right off the bat, then I started harmonising with one of the buddhist religions. My harmony hit 0 before it was done - I'd advise everyone else to not convert provinces at all, and to let your harmony hit 100 before you start harmonising with one of your religions.

I kinda feel like I should be expanding, though. Should I invade Japan?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gort posted:

So, what's the best way to play Ming? I've been doing my first game as them, and I have the Renaissance embraced thanks to developing one of my 3 development farmland provinces, and every single neighbour of mine is a tributary.

However, I do think I hosed up a bit - I started off by converting some of my animist provinces right off the bat, then I started harmonising with one of the buddhist religions. My harmony hit 0 before it was done - I'd advise everyone else to not convert provinces at all, and to let your harmony hit 100 before you start harmonising with one of your religions.

I kinda feel like I should be expanding, though. Should I invade Japan?

The Ming are currently overpowered as hell. Literally do whatever you feel like doing, and it'll probably work out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

for the record i think it's 16 that's the ideal starting dev for developing. starting at 7 rather than 3 saves you 200 monarch points at least

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The ideal switches based on the exact development cost discount you're dealing with but yeah it's generally in the teens somewhere.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In terms of total monarch point cost for just seeding the institution, the best will be 16 if you have less than a 34% development cost reduction, and 7 if you have more. However, if you start from a 1/1/1 province, it will cost you more total points, but you'll get much more development per point spent than in any other province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

In terms of total monarch point cost for just seeding the institution, the best will be 16 if you have less than a 34% development cost reduction, and 7 if you have more. However, if you start from a 1/1/1 province, it will cost you more total points, but you'll get much more development per point spent than in any other province.
This is why I buck up and pay the extra if the province is in the right spot.

• Locked thread