Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Episode 1: I was laughing a ton watching the Servo bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Episode 1: I was laughing a ton watching the Servo bit

Yeah that was cracking me up. I wish they'd spent more time on it. I was hoping for 6 Servos in the theater.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Despera posted:

God 5 minutes in and this movie in episode 2 is loving weird

...Rowsdower!
That's Zap Rowsdower.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Despera posted:

Just you wait.

Finished episode 2, calling it a day. Definitely good stuff.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
LETTERS! It's such a little sweet little detail.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Despera posted:

Uh they're kinda hard on the animals in this movie too :stare:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It is frankly incredible that this remake is as good as it is. So glad they kept the kitbashing styling of the original show.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think what's weirding me out is that its three totally new people but the beats and flow are identical to classic MST3K

it's like these guys were doing this all along

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Cry Wilderness is a really weird movie to watch at 2 in the morning guys especially when apparently the goddamn pendant is magical???

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
They are knocking it out of the park with this first episode.

Oh he's purging, Bullemicus!

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Compendium posted:

Cry Wilderness is a really weird movie to watch at 2 in the morning guys especially when apparently the goddamn pendant is magical???

BANG!

E: WHAT WAS THAT? HOW WAS THAT A MOVIE!

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 14, 2017

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Well it looks like it isn't available on netflix in the Netherlands...poo poo.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

too many freakin songs!!!!!!!!!!!!

ii dont like the intro but i liked reptilicus and thought the rift was pretty good tho not quite as good as rifftrax has been.

i dont like felicia day tho because i hated her character on eureka tho

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Uh I too am watching Cry Wilderness in the wee hours and what a delight. I enjoyed Reptilicus but this feels like vintage mst.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm watching 1107 now, and I really liked the reveal that the Mads' inventions are just ripped off from stuff in Jonah and the bots' riffs. I'd noticed a couple of these, but not all, and thought it was just a case of recycled material.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Tom's and Gypsy's voices 😐

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Clouseau posted:

Uh I too am watching Cry Wilderness in the wee hours and what a delight. I enjoyed Reptilicus but this feels like vintage mst.

It really does.

"I saw you sealed up in a cave!"
"Well, Happy Easter."

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

oh my god Cry Wilderness :stare: what the gently caress

i dont mind toms voice in the riff part but its really weird and offputting in the skits. I also find the commercial transitions really abrupt and its weird to have tvs son of tvs frank say moon 13, the moon all the time. very weird

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Weird how there are ad-break fade to black moments in a Netflix show.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm like fifteen minutes into cry wilderness and uh

you guys weren't kidding

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Blockhouse posted:

I'm like fifteen minutes into cry wilderness and uh

you guys weren't kidding

it seriously only gets weurder and weirder and weirder

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why is the kid's dad overdubbed in like half his scenes?!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cry Wilderness is definitely my favorite so far. Spoiler for the end of the movie: the teacher's sudden enthusiasm at the prospect of being able to meet Bigfoot is totally out of nowhere and just makes absolutely no sense. It's brilliant.

Grant Baciocco, who is one of the main puppeteers on this season, posted this on the MST Discussion Board about the episode:

quote:

When we were filming this, I instantly realized that the cinematographer listed in the credits lived upstairs from me in my first apartment. By chance, I saw him walking down the street a couple months ago and told him they'd be riffing this film and he flipped out. He said, "I didn't think anybody remembered that film." He said it was the first project he worked on in Hollywood and the whole crew thought that the director was going to be the next Spielberg...until they started filming.

This was the film that had all the puppeteers quoting lines from it. The gifts that Russ and I gave the other puppeteers after we wrapped had a card that read MERRY BIGFOOT. Many laughs were had during the filming of this one.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Cry Wilderness is definitely my favorite so far. Spoiler for the end of the movie: the teacher's sudden enthusiasm at the prospect of being able to meet Bigfoot is totally out of nowhere and just makes absolutely no sense. It's brilliant.

Yeah I just finished this and ahahahaha.

That and the fate of the big game hunter seemed a little out of place for what was ostensibly a kids' film :stare:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Oh my god the ending of Cry Wilderness :psyduck: That might be the most insane movie from rifftrax/mst3k outside of I dunno, santa and the easter bunny. What on earth did I just watch.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the one thing that is off for me is that the original episodes had this level of sleepyness to them. Especially with Mike, it felt like a group of friends just incredibly bored with the movies who were just lazily entertaining themselves. Still getting a good amount of laughs, and I adjusted to the new voices pretty quickly. "Now you're Mr. Cabinet" also got more of a laugh out of me than it should have.

It really should just have commercials.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I love how at the start of the third episode Max is wearing the Bigfoot pendant from Cry Wilderness

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I might really tempted to install Netflix on my phone am just listen to the new episodes while I work. I wanna watch them sooooo bad. :cry

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Just finished the third episode. Cry Wilderness was so, so good. The punishment for the "Stallone" was bananas

It's nice having more contemporary references now, I found it a lot more accessible. Also the new opening is great! I think they've done an amazing job

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I might really tempted to install Netflix on my phone am just listen to the new episodes while I work. I wanna watch them sooooo bad. :cry

Yeah, I can't believe there's new MST3K, that I can watch, right now and instead I'm at worrrrrrrrrk

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

It's nice having more contemporary references now, I found it a lot more accessible. Also the new opening is great! I think they've done an amazing job

The syncopation of the theme to fit the new meter of the lyrics is odd, but not bad. It's just harder to sing along for now.

We Know Catheters posted:

Tom's and Gypsy's voices 😐

It's jarring, but I like Gypsy's voice now being done by an actual lady, not a guy doing a terrible falsetto. She comes off less like a caricature, more like a nice lady superintendent fixing up the SoL.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 14, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
holy crap. 5 minutes into the first episode. Loving it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

The syncopation of the theme to fit the new meter of the lyrics is odd, but not bad. It's just harder to sign along for now.

It's jarring, but I like Gypsy's voice now being done by an actual lady, not a guy doing a terrible falsetto. She comes off less like a caricature, more like a nice lady superintendent fixing up the SoL.

On the one hand, I miss Gypsy's old voice. On the other hand, it's now just sort of like having Magic Voice just be given robot form, so :shrug:

It is weird having the host segments be relatively brief.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I'm only at the beginning of the first new episode, but the
code:
Bones?
Jim!
Fossil Bones?
Fossil Jim!
gag is the perfect kind of dumb that works really well for me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's great how, even as rapid-fire as the riffing is, there's still so many great lines that stand out.

"Fire in an aquarium? That'll sort itself out."

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm so happy this is as good as it is.

The Monster song in episode 1 might be my favorite song in MST3k history, I think I need a download of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ohvee posted:

I'm only at the beginning of the first new episode, but the
code:
Bones?
Jim!
Fossil Bones?
Fossil Jim!
gag is the perfect kind of dumb that works really well for me.

yea that joke felt right out of the original. I'm really glad they remembered that 90% of the riffs were corny/dumb jokes like that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just caught Patton reusing a joke from his standup in the riffs

<:mad:>

(For reference, it's the jokes about Fudgey the Whale, and turning the cake pan)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The voices take a little time to get used to but the jokes hit the mark PERFECTLY. The newspaper gag in episode 1 is pitch perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I pre-cringed when Crow asked Jonah to rap but that monster song was actually good and not embarrassing.