Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rygar201 posted:

I'm mad I clicked this thread, this sounded cool and it's never going to be a thing :saddowns:

You've missed the plot twist in the last four pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Rygar201 posted:

I'm mad I clicked this thread, this sounded cool and it's never going to be a thing :saddowns:

ZearothK posted:

You've missed the plot twist in the last four pages.

There is hope!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahahah glad I'm not the only one who missed that twist. Holy smokes!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
After putting this away in frustration for a while in not understanding how single baron subordinate ascensions work, I finally picked it up again and just powered through and won my first victory! (I just ignored and stayed away from countries with single subordinates) It was pretty fun... until I discovered ritual sites and how to use them. Then it became almost trivial to simply slaughter anyone who opposed me with pretty much no downsides at all.

I'm going to repeat my earlier statement: I think political maneuvering should not be power limited. But rituals absolutely should be. Frost is a 10 turn nuclear weapon to destroy nearly any city on the map at any time. That's outrageous.

Switching rituals to needing power, power shouldn't be a 1-per turn thing. Perhaps your enthralled would have to actively gain it for you, and doing so is what generates evidence. Multiple enthralled might even be able to gain you power faster... but attract more attention. Maybe more attention in a non-linear manner?

As for politics... you could make it so you have to spend multiple turns talking to a single target. Make a spell that can cause others to talk to each other (for dark power), but your enthralled can initiate conversations for free-- but it takes your attention. But the key thing would be to allow more political actions... plots, voting alliances, trades... and then allow the NPCs to do all this as well. To that end, unshadowed nobles should have randomly selected goals and aspirations that you can exploit with promises and whatnot, and you should be able to uncover these fairly easily (but not instantly) within your court. I really think the political game is a massive amount of fun, so I think this is where things could really expand a lot.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
gently caress it, backed with 50 bucks if you make a kickstarter. Only got one disappointment in four right now, might as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Iunnrais posted:

After putting this away in frustration for a while in not understanding how single baron subordinate ascensions work, I finally picked it up again and just powered through and won my first victory! (I just ignored and stayed away from countries with single subordinates) It was pretty fun... until I discovered ritual sites and how to use them. Then it became almost trivial to simply slaughter anyone who opposed me with pretty much no downsides at all.

I'm going to repeat my earlier statement: I think political maneuvering should not be power limited. But rituals absolutely should be. Frost is a 10 turn nuclear weapon to destroy nearly any city on the map at any time. That's outrageous.

Switching rituals to needing power, power shouldn't be a 1-per turn thing. Perhaps your enthralled would have to actively gain it for you, and doing so is what generates evidence. Multiple enthralled might even be able to gain you power faster... but attract more attention. Maybe more attention in a non-linear manner?

As for politics... you could make it so you have to spend multiple turns talking to a single target. Make a spell that can cause others to talk to each other (for dark power), but your enthralled can initiate conversations for free-- but it takes your attention. But the key thing would be to allow more political actions... plots, voting alliances, trades... and then allow the NPCs to do all this as well. To that end, unshadowed nobles should have randomly selected goals and aspirations that you can exploit with promises and whatnot, and you should be able to uncover these fairly easily (but not instantly) within your court. I really think the political game is a massive amount of fun, so I think this is where things could really expand a lot.

Needing to have enough enthralled to make a cult to power rituals would be pretty neat. Maybe have a separate hierarchy for your enthralled where they fight amongst themselves to get access to more and more dark powers from you.

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

My first rage-quit. Excellent, another milestone passed. I'll confess, though, many parts of the game could be better explained, and single-baron politics are an irritating edge-case which I hadn't really planned for but seems to turn up all the time.

Rituals are indeed OP in current build. The weather mechanics have gone from "very powerful" to "utterly unstoppable". The global forces of light simply have no AI to handle this, currently, so their best response is to just be unhappy that you're ending all life on Earth. My plan for rituals was to have them create global awareness, and trigger nations to start waging crusades against you, requiring you to either stop them by having infiltrated politicians to swing the vote against it or to have enough military force to resist.

Political actions being power limited is a design choice born from experience. It used to be one-action-per-turn, with probabilistic outcomes for harder stuff, but it was a complete pain. The issue is that multiple enthralled over multiple societies become very difficult to manage if you have to hit end turn each time. With power you can build up a pool and spend it all in a single turn on a single political project. Doesn't require shifting attention all the time. With multiple enthralled in multiple cities you have to give them each orders every single turn and keep track of exactly what they were doing. Realistic? Sure, talking isn't dark magic. Gameplay-wise? I couldn't get it to work so settled on power expenditure.

Of course this is all in constant development so things will change massively. I'm currently finishing up a first pass on populations and city-building. Got me some pie charts of how much of your population are fish-men and how many are preparing to rise up in revolt against the prospect of being turned into said underwater horrors.

Still, thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit too close to get an objective view of the game, so it's good to hear people's responses.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
On the subject of multiple enthralled... why can you only control your first? The others aren't allowed to vote the way you like and whatnot. I mean, sure, you can use them to dump suspicion, or if you are king, you can force your enthralled duke to change his vote at your whim, but why not just be able to control them in the first place?

Also, why can 100% shadowed NPCs join the forces of light?

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 15, 2017

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008
Alright folks. Please swarm in your millions to this here social medium: https://twitter.com/bobby2hands
I am informed by wiser minds than mine that kickstarter is slightly harder than just "push button get money", so must now do social media nonsense. I'll probably be using the twitter to mention weekly updates, since this technically isn't my thread or about my game at all.

I've also made a new version, which features populations and cities. It's pretty basic but the fundamental structures are there. You can fill folks with eggs then explode them from within to harm neighbouring cities, dull their minds so they don't rebel, or turn them into horrific warbeasts. Great times for the whole family. Peep this utilitarian yet pleasing city-screen:

Seen in version 3 here: https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne

Iunnrais posted:

On the subject of multiple enthralled... why can you only control your first? The others aren't allowed to vote the way you like and whatnot. I mean, sure, you can use them to dump suspicion, or if you are king, you can force your enthralled duke to change his vote at your whim, but why not just be able to control them in the first place?

Also, why can 100% shadowed NPCs join the forces of light?

Only one enthralled can vote again simply for UI reasons. Because it throws the voting screen up immediately it's almost impossible to tell what's going on if you've got many high-placed lords. When I put the new message system in (hopefully within the next couple of weeks) it'll allow you to pan to where the lord is, so you'll have a better idea of what's going on. I'll probably give every enthralled lord the vote when that occurs.

Shadowed NPCs can join the forces of light for the same reason smallpox patients can join vaccine research; because it's an infection of the body not the mind, so they can notice it upon themselves and try to fight it. Enthrallment was seen as enshadowment of the soul, while shadow is just the body.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Have you thought about the amount of shadow someone has giving a discount to enthralment?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bobby Two Hands posted:

Alright folks. Please swarm in your millions to this here social medium: https://twitter.com/bobby2hands
I am informed by wiser minds than mine that kickstarter is slightly harder than just "push button get money", so must now do social media nonsense. I'll probably be using the twitter to mention weekly updates, since this technically isn't my thread or about my game at all.

I vote 'gently caress it, lets turn this into a thread for a game that really exists.' There's not gonna be any news for TWS any more so we might as well.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
If you're gonna do that, just make a new thread?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
stay in this thread it's funnier this way

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Cannibalizing this otherwise dead and worthless thread for a new game seems fitting. Also this way we can still get the occasional entertaining scam message from that fuckface, what's his name, to contrast with this real and existing game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The down side to using this thread for it is that new people who come to the thread are going to see the lovely stuff about TWS and confuse it for Bobby Two Hands actual game that exists. I mean, it works fine for having it contained in here right now, but I'd say once stuff starts getting serious prior to the kickstarter, it might be worth making its own thread.

Oh, and if you do make your own thread, remember to consult the mods about whether its okay to have a dev and discussion thread even if the plan is to eventually have a kickstarter.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
rename thread, update op, leave intact for the odyssey

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The op is still active in here yeah? I don't see why an amusing summary update and a threat title can't be arranged.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Bug Report in V3 unstable Bugfix1: "Alter Vote" is telling me that my subordinate thrall is already voting the way I want. However, my subordinate is NOT voting the way I want. The vote goes against me in the end.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As funny as it would be to just cannibalize this thread, if he's actually going to go through with Kickstarting this thing it needs to be free of people misunderstanding that it's directly related to TWS.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Rituals require a certain % shadowing in the region of the ritual stone to be used. Why not allow various effects to be directly cast on NPCs with a certain % shadow?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
nobody is getting out of here alive

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7SuBBpLX-A

Though I think Josh is in Chicago? Whatever.

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

Bug Report in V3 unstable Bugfix1: "Alter Vote" is telling me that my subordinate thrall is already voting the way I want. However, my subordinate is NOT voting the way I want. The vote goes against me in the end.

Okay, time to actually fix the voting system. I've gone an uploaded a new version with a new "alerts" feature. Allows you to address each vote one-by-one by zooming to the societies needing attention. All enthralled should now be able to vote normally. It's a quick and not-thoroughly tested patch, and the button isn't as prominent as I'd like on many resolutions, but it's there.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So turning a city into fishmen or blowing it up into a worm swarm is cool and good. Any chance we'll be seeing fishmen cities and worm hives as an endpoint of that soon?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Orv posted:

As funny as it would be to just cannibalize this thread, if he's actually going to go through with Kickstarting this thing it needs to be free of people misunderstanding that it's directly related to TWS.

Yeah, It's fine for right now. However, the absolute last thing you want while trying to crowdfund this is to be associated with that flaming clusterfuck.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'd say that the moment a kickstarter goes up would be a good time to migrate this into a thread of its own.

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008

NewMars posted:

So turning a city into fishmen or blowing it up into a worm swarm is cool and good. Any chance we'll be seeing fishmen cities and worm hives as an endpoint of that soon?

Soon is now. https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne
As a first pass at least. Cities get their graphics changed if they become predominately fishy.

Update features "Fish and Lights":
-Many imbalanced bits disabled so the rest is actually balanced
-Game now losable, giving the game a fix timeframe
-Lightbringers now exist. Arise when a lord gets wind of dark powers. Lightbringers glow, have their own city graphic, and can drive out the shadow from their lands. Will also try to convert others to lightbringers. They are good and kind and must be stamped out before they spread.
-Fishmen have a variety of buildings, including a variety of rituals they can use to attack coastal cities, for war, assassination or dragging people beneath the waves to return to your cities as dribblers, abnormal and abhorrant parahumans which can be turned into more fish men.

I'm pretty pleased with it, it's slowly getting towards what I was hoping for.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it supposed to be a .rar or a .zip file?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bobby Two Hands posted:

Soon is now. https://bobbytwohands.itch.io/shadows-behind-the-throne
As a first pass at least. Cities get their graphics changed if they become predominately fishy.

Update features "Fish and Lights":
-Many imbalanced bits disabled so the rest is actually balanced
-Game now losable, giving the game a fix timeframe
-Lightbringers now exist. Arise when a lord gets wind of dark powers. Lightbringers glow, have their own city graphic, and can drive out the shadow from their lands. Will also try to convert others to lightbringers. They are good and kind and must be stamped out before they spread.
-Fishmen have a variety of buildings, including a variety of rituals they can use to attack coastal cities, for war, assassination or dragging people beneath the waves to return to your cities as dribblers, abnormal and abhorrant parahumans which can be turned into more fish men.

I'm pretty pleased with it, it's slowly getting towards what I was hoping for.

I hope you are rewarded for your work with more than two thoracic appendages.

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Is it supposed to be a .rar or a .zip file?

It's a zip again. I blame winrar. It loves rars. I should have seen it coming. It's in the name.

Sorry to the four people who downloaded the buggy version. Make version, test version, upload version, post about upload, immediately notice issue (costs no power to subdue populace), panic and rush to fix and upload. This game dev stuff is terrifying stuff.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Sorry for the unrelated question, but does anyone know how to summon The Devourer in Solium Infernum? I had the relic in a ritual slot but couldn't find any command to summon the thing.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
it would work like a ritual i think. If it was your only ritual slot you had the artifact slotted into thaen it wouldn't work. Try moving it to a stronghold

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks. The game is great, and I'd pay for a patch to handle higher resolutions, but I'm rather terrible at it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shadows updated again, in case anyone didn't catch it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

Shadows updated again, in case anyone didn't catch it.

Patch notes?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Patch notes:

- Game continues to exist.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Patch notes?

quote:

Enthralled now come in various flavours. Currently has:

Generic basic: Generic and basic.

Discount enthralled: for cheaper enthrallments of non-key lords.
Vampires: for political mastery through charm and persuasion.

Lords of the Broken: to ensure conquered lords remain loyal, and populations remain war-hungry.

Political views should spread between populations, so you can turn the peasants against the aristocracy, with a bit of work. This will serve as a framework for later expansion.

Bobby Two Hands
May 7, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Patch notes?

Depends when you last checked. Been a couple of versions since I posted here. Newer features are:
-Pick type of enthrallment (vampire, monstrosity, dark warlord type affair)
-Added in a bit more population control button to soc screen
-Lightbringers exist, to form an actual opposition, and will slowly convert others to their cause as you gain power
-World map introduced, to actually see what's what
-Threat board UI so you can know what's going down
-New buildings with new rituals

Was going to push a small new version today, with improved worm mechanics, so you can spawn egg devils which will form entire colonies of worms which grow as they invade other nations.

Edit: beaten to my own patch notes

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008
Nthing the call for a Kickstarter. Bobby, hurry the gently caress up so I can throw money at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively do not hurry b/c it is a lot of work to put together a business plan (which is essentially what you want for a kickstarter) and better done well than swiftly

• Locked thread