Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Private schools would go out of business!!!!!" -some guy

Harvard has over $30b endowment, MIT has $13b, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Corky Romanovsky posted:

"Private schools would go out of business!!!!!" -some guy

Harvard has over $30b endowment, MIT has $13b, etc.

When they started the whole HBCU thing it mostly just came off as "oh god they're going to go after our precious ivies, figure out something woke to oppose that plan"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dreddout posted:

This is basically libs saying that blacks and Latinos should stay poor and worked to death to protect their culture.

They literally believe this. Ever wonder why liberals are oh-so-concerned about ensuring Latinos can cross the border illegally and remain here illegally, but don't give a gently caress about giving them a path to citizenship, or amnesty, or anything that would make them able to reach their dreams instead of work in the loving fields or cleaning toilets for bullshit wages in dangerous conditions?

It's on the same level of "these beautiful babies... worthy of bombs but not refugee status"

call to action has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Apr 12, 2017

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mugrim posted:

Well and to be fair, many of those stakes are gone. Being pro-woman (outside of abortion) is important now on it's own. When it turned out that a few Republican candidates paid their women with a more egalitarian structure, they mentioned it on every outlet until Trump said something. Abortion is settled federally and most of the fight is on the state level now, where democrats are woefully failing.

I literally know two different people who graduated from the Carter school of journalism who have no idea why someone close to me who also graduated didn't just take an unpaid times internship for 2 years like they did post grad. In their minds it's no biggie to live with no income in NYC for 2 years, until you finally get a 30k/yr job in manhattan that lasts another 2 or 3 years before you make real "live in manhattan" money. Why yes, one of the people comes from an oil family in the middle east and the other comes from a tech magnate in SK, meanwhile my friend comes from a single mother who works as a receptionist in one of the poorest cities in the nation, but in their mind this is just 'mental barriers'.

I know a Stern grad who is super 'woke' who comes from hyper old money. He wanted to pay for his Harvard grad degree by working for it, rather than having his hyper rich parents pay for it. So instead, he found a family friend who owned a hedge fund that Goldman Sachs works with, got a job at Goldman making 160k a year, bought a house in hoboken after a few months using his salary as a down payment, and after two years, sold the house for a profit to pay for his harvard degree, and is going there now.

This guy compares this experience to peers in harvard who went to state universities and came from poverty because he 'worked his way up' to pay for it. He wouldn't say it's the same, but he definitely says "I get where you're coming from".

His parents own a % of costa rica and during this entire time he was travelling around the world on weekend trips, but from his perspective he cast aside the shackles of privilege to prove he can do anything on his own.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly if he's "hyper old money" and owns a portion of Central America, his family probably does actually deserve a guillotine for what they did to get it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this thread just makes me mad now

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CharlestonJew posted:

this thread just makes me mad now

"now"

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I went to school with a dude who hadn't seen a kitchen until he moved into an apartment because he his parents had remodeled theirs out of the house before he was born because they ate out for literally every meal. He also didn't understand how to use a grocery store

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Shear Modulus posted:

specifically, samantha bee fixes racism at home by making sure the other races stay away from her home

out of all the daily show spin-offs samantha bee is the worst

trevor noah is unfortunately just not talented

oliver is alright, colbert is almost as good as he was on his own show

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

mugrim posted:

Well and to be fair, many of those stakes are gone. Being pro-woman (outside of abortion) is important now on it's own. When it turned out that a few Republican candidates paid their women with a more egalitarian structure, they mentioned it on every outlet until Trump said something. Abortion is settled federally and most of the fight is on the state level now, where democrats are woefully failing.

I literally know two different people who graduated from the Carter school of journalism who have no idea why someone close to me who also graduated didn't just take an unpaid times internship for 2 years like they did post grad. In their minds it's no biggie to live with no income in NYC for 2 years, until you finally get a 30k/yr job in manhattan that lasts another 2 or 3 years before you make real "live in manhattan" money. Why yes, one of the people comes from an oil family in the middle east and the other comes from a tech magnate in SK, meanwhile my friend comes from a single mother who works as a receptionist in one of the poorest cities in the nation, but in their mind this is just 'mental barriers'.

I know a Stern grad who is super 'woke' who comes from hyper old money. He wanted to pay for his Harvard grad degree by working for it, rather than having his hyper rich parents pay for it. So instead, he found a family friend who owned a hedge fund that Goldman Sachs works with, got a job at Goldman making 160k a year, bought a house in hoboken after a few months using his salary as a down payment, and after two years, sold the house for a profit to pay for his harvard degree, and is going there now.

This guy compares this experience to peers in harvard who went to state universities and came from poverty because he 'worked his way up' to pay for it. He wouldn't say it's the same, but he definitely says "I get where you're coming from".

His parents own a % of costa rica and during this entire time he was travelling around the world on weekend trips, but from his perspective he cast aside the shackles of privilege to prove he can do anything on his own.

haha no wonder people vote trump when those guys probably voted clinton this election

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bushiz posted:

I went to school with a dude who hadn't seen a kitchen until he moved into an apartment because he his parents had remodeled theirs out of the house before he was born because they ate out for literally every meal. He also didn't understand how to use a grocery store

loving hell

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bushiz posted:

Really, he never saw a kitchen anywhere? He was never in a house which wasn't his own until he moved out?

That's not a rich people thing, that's a weirdo thing. Hell, kitchens are showpieces in expensive homes.

EDIT: Having a kitchen is required by building code in much of the US. Unless you built or remodeled your house completely off the books you must have a kitchen.

The_Franz has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Apr 13, 2017

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bushiz posted:

Grocery stores are a scam. Go to a farmers market and pay a pittance as the farmers desperately try to sell off their stock

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Grocery stores are a scam. Go to a farmers market and pay a pittance as the farmers desperately try to sell off their stock

Farmer's markets generally have higher prices than grocery stores now unless you live out in the country somewhere.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mugrim posted:

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Farmer's markets generally have higher prices than grocery stores now unless you live out in the country somewhere.

Bad dems in my state shut down the wholesale section of the farmer's market.

You used to be able to get an entire box of tomatoes for $10, turn around, and split it with two random guys you never met.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How can you poo poo down the wholesale section of a farmers market

isnt it all supposed to be wholesale?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

i just want to save a good typo

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Depends on the market. Some farmer's markets are basically a series of stalls where they sell stuff to individual consumers, some are farmers making bulk deals with consumers, some are a mix.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

call to action posted:

They literally believe this. Ever wonder why liberals are oh-so-concerned about ensuring Latinos can cross the border illegally and remain here illegally, but don't give a gently caress about giving them a path to citizenship, or amnesty, or anything that would make them able to reach their dreams instead of work in the loving fields or cleaning toilets for bullshit wages in dangerous conditions?

It's on the same level of "these beautiful babies... worthy of bombs but not refugee status"

I've started to realize the ole "LIBERALS ARE THE REAL RACISTS" lines by :911: tea party types is a half truth. It's a bunch idiotic upper class white idiots that think all minorities dress alike, act alike and engage in similiar behaviors.

It really is as disgusting as an any rear end in a top hat who flies the stars and bars, but in it's own unique flavor.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've started to realize the ole "LIBERALS ARE THE REAL RACISTS" lines by :911: tea party types is a half truth. It's a bunch idiotic upper class white idiots that think all minorities dress alike, act alike and engage in similiar behaviors.

It really is as disgusting as an any rear end in a top hat who flies the stars and bars, but in it's own unique flavor.

You need to watch Get Out

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

i mean king and malcolm and many others lamented the white moderate who says they support the struggle in theory but block it in the name of stability or whatever. its not exclusively a critique from cross-burning nutjobs

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dreddout posted:

You need to watch Get Out

That I do.

Shear Modulus posted:

i mean king and malcolm and many others lamented the white moderate who says they support the struggle in theory but block it in the name of stability or whatever. its not exclusively a critique from cross-burning nutjobs

I like the fact that MLK Jr. wanted to create a poor's person campaign on DC (with people of all backgrounds), made points about how Jim Crow also hosed over poor whites as well and such...but this is all swept under the rug in favor of some sort of white washed version of what he wanted to accomplish. Harry Belafonte even made a point about how MLK Jr's ultimate mission wasn't done because he said "it felt like I integrated my people into a burning house".

The "Wolf and the fox" quote by Malcolm X also (sadly) rings true in this day and age..

MLK Jr. is amazing btw. I think it's sad he's thought of as just a "civil rights icon". He's so much more than that.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Apr 14, 2017

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

It is one that the white "moderate" will SCREEE at you for implying that are not the best at anti-racism. Forget how actual economic policies go, because those are racist (because whites also benefit).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I like the fact that MLK Jr. wanted to create a poor's person campaign on DC (with people of all background's), made points about how Jim Crow also hosed over poor white's as well and such...but this is all swept under the rug in favor of some sort of white washed version of what he wanted to accomplish. Harry Belafonte even made a point about how MLK Jr's ultimate mission wasn't done because he said "it felt like I integrated my people into a burning house".

The "Wolf and the fox" quote by Malcolm X also (sadly) rings true in this day and age..

MLK Jr. is amazing btw. I think it's sad he's thought of as just a "civil rights icon". He's so much more than that.

The quasi-deification of MLK jr. by white America is distressing for a number of reasons. Certainly what you're talking about, but also how it sanctifies non-violent resistance to the point where only that intentionally-misunderstood and shackled version of protest is deemed as morally valid (and in practice even it gets written off as too aggressive, see also any protest ever).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The quasi-deification of MLK jr. by white America is distressing for a number of reasons. Certainly what you're talking about, but also how it sanctifies non-violent resistance to the point where only that intentionally-misunderstood and shackled version of protest is deemed as morally valid (and in practice even it gets written off as too aggressive, see also any protest ever).

I'm more on the non-violence side, but you're correct in this matter. (I'm a very flawed believer in pacifism).

Unfortunately...sometimes the other route is more successful. I'm just more upset that MLK's message has really been boiled down to what we're seeing today..

Grognan posted:

It is one that the white "moderate" will SCREEE at you for implying that are not the best at anti-racism. Forget how actual economic policies go, because those are racist (because whites also benefit).

I often wonder if those that are well off and from rich families actually benefited from slavery more so than the people they finger point at.

(Also the odds are also good that their ancestors were the types that probably hosed over ethnic groups like Italians, Irish, Catholics, etc).

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just want to say that I have a degree in "Journalism and Media Studies". I think I took the major because I had some vague fantasy about wanting to work in television, perhaps up my way into a position where I had the power to "say things that nobody else in the media is saying". It was 2009 when I graduated college. I now consider myself underemployed at 30.

I'm willing to mostly blame myself for my failures. But still... that story of all those rich rear end cosmopolitan liberals working at a respectable media establishments, while looking down on poor people disappoints me, to say the least. I'm not white, so I can't use those magical White People Connections to break into the industry at this point.

I'm still disappointed that, even after the election, there hasn't been a stronger bid within milquetoast liberal media channels to court or co-opt the anger of disenchanted left-leaning people under 35. Based on my personal experience, I see the mission of dismantling the current economic oligarchy as 100% compatible with dismantling white supremacy and patriarchy. And I'm annoyed just how well many liberals (and to a lesser extent, the fringe on the Left that doesn't care much about social issues) were able to play identity politics and economic justice against each other. I'm pretty sure there's nothing special about this sentiment here. But I wanted to air it out.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

You gotta wait a few hours, buy stuff a couple hours from closing

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain_Maclaine posted:

See the folks in other threads that had a literal conniption fit, including a request to the mods to probate her/him if she/he continued to talk to me, when I suggested that arming black folks was a good idea. And it came from a self-described leftist progressive.

Can you imagine how glorious it would be if some revived Huey P. Newton Gun Club showed up in 100+ numbers to every protest where white folks were open carrying?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It would be great. The white people open carrying would welcome their brothers in arms. Only racists would be upset.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Terror Sweat posted:

You gotta wait a few hours, buy stuff a couple hours from closing

My local market is only open 3-7pm on tuesdays :wtc:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

call to action posted:

See the folks in other threads that had a literal conniption fit, including a request to the mods to probate her/him if she/he continued to talk to me, when I suggested that arming black folks was a good idea. And it came from a self-described leftist progressive.

Can you imagine how glorious it would be if some revived Huey P. Newton Gun Club showed up in 100+ numbers to every protest where white folks were open carrying?

massive gun control regulations would pass within the hour

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

call to action posted:

Realistically? It would be a terrible idea and any armed black groups that emerged, no matter how spotless they actually were, would get labeled as domestic terrorists almost immediately and violently suppressed in exactly the same way that the Bundy's weren't.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

CharlestonJew posted:

massive gun control regulations would pass within the hour

Well, the cops would run them over with APCs first, maybe go shoot some of their families while performing illegal searches of their homes for evidence of terrorist organizations, then the regulations, then we'd talk about how bad it was and how this was going to being the big moment when people wake up, then the public would forget about it.

Then a little while later "Hey, what if WE tried getting MORE guns?"
---
I was the it that had the conniption, by the way. That dude is a horse-dog-maniac & I knew the only end position of this moron arguing with that moron is both of us locked in a hateful nerd bitch embrace as the thread burned down around us.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

mugrim posted:

I gotta tell you, I never realized how loving poor my family grew up until I met these fucks. To me being rich meant your family eats out (even fast food) at home when it's not anyone's birthday. And mind you, we were white working poor, not even the kind of working poor who also have racism on top of it.

Then I met people who legitimately thought that you were poor if you didn't travel outside the country each year, or if you *gasp* rented.

The internship issue with journalism is going to be our generations Achilles heel. Outside a very small select group of millennials, if you read someone's article chances are their parents have real real money. Granted, I'm sure it's always skewed rich, but now with the massive unpaid internship requirements in select locations like DC and NYC, I have to imagine it's a whole different beast where the only people able to do these programs are those with family paying rent and bills for years straight.

We'll have dozens of pundits collectively asking "Wtf is a fish fry" as we collectively think of creative ways to get rid of them.

That's a pretty good point, and it's not just in journalism but all over media. I don't know half the people that've been pushed as the voice of my generation, and those I do know are irritating twits that I have little in common with. I never really thought of that as a side effect of most media centers being in areas with high costs of living and having a lot of unpaid internships, but it makes sense.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacons_for_Defense_and_Justice

"Pacifism, the preaching of peace in the abstract, is one of the means of duping the working class." - Vladimir Lenin

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

call to action posted:

"I don't favor violence. If we could bring about recognition and respect of our people by peaceful means, well and good. Everybody would like to reach his objectives peacefully. But I'm also a realist. The only people in this country who are asked to be nonviolent are black people." Malcolm X

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

got any sevens posted:

My local market is only open 3-7pm on tuesdays :wtc:

mine is on weekends

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX3n24BMApo&

I keep thinking about this ad Kyle talks about here, and there was another one where he uses Hillary's words against her.

I swear to god I saw one air in Ohio several times where it played her comments calling Sanders supporters "Millennial basement dwellers", Blacks "Super Predators" and the old "Basket of Deproables" line. At the end Trump kinda goes "gently caress this poo poo. vote for me". She and her campaign really were incredible in throwing the birds at anyone that wasn't in her personality cult.

I don't think I've seen a campaign insult it's side of the aisle so drat much before.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I guess the Hillaryites' loathing of everyone who doesn't love her makes sense if they're just imitating her.

• Locked thread