Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Human Grand Prix posted:

And considering the 2017 F1 cars, probably better for developing drivers. They are very physical to drive. This is a slippery slope though; Indycar is a Tier 1 racing series so I'm not sure Miles et. al want to position it as an F1 feeder series.

IndyCar would be lucky to have F1 teams willing to throw comparative pennies at them for training seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think Indy is fine in its current position as an "points towards super license" without being officially part of the ladder. In some regards it's like Japanese baseball. It's not a minor league by any means, but you could argue to no end whether or not it's as strong as a league compared to MLB.

The one thing about Indy Car though that I hope never changes is how much they know that fan interaction helps loyalty and thus growth.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

To me, using IndyCar to train F1 drivers is like sending your young NBA talent to go play rugby. Sure, they will be in general shape and they get used to the grind of competition, and the best ones will probably be successful at both by pure talent and dedication, but its not really relevant or transferable on the skills side.

IndyCar is no power steering, no power brakes, ovals, bumpy rear end street circuits, much more downforce, much less tire maintenance, much more setup work, and all the expensive driver aide traction tricks in the diff and drivetrain are banned. Its just really different, and I think that's why youve seen guys struggle going IndyCar to F1 and F1 to IndyCar both.

F2 and reserve driver roles are probably better places to stash people if you are looking to develop them for F1, to me. poo poo with what weve seen lately, there is no 'developing'... you pick them up out of F3 and throw them in the fire.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh yeah, Indy Courses are much more bumpy than F1 courses. That's for sure.

Though it's not Sebring levels of bad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i mean, if McLaren or anyone else wants to do it, i will not stop them. in fact please try to prove that dumbass cygni dude on the internet wrong, what are you a pussy, do it run 5 cars i dare u

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

In any case Super Formula is arguably a better place than IndyCar for F1 teams to stash drivers. No ovals or bumpy street circuits, the cars are faster, etc.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It was Rossi's dream to race F1. Gets to Indy, decides he likes it there and seems to be staying. I think it's sort of a weird dichotomy here. F1 is definitely the premier racing circuit where the huge amount of money lurks if you're good. But it's so drat cutthroat that I think some people view it as suffocating, and decide Indy is the way they want to go. Is there as much fame and fortune in Indy? No, but it also feels more down to earth in a lot of ways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it helps that the 500 itself still has enough cachet to make drivers want to compete in it for the hell of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That too. They sold out last year so popularity is definitely growing.

Sadly TV was down, but Milwaukee was the biggest non-Indy market, go figure!

(:rip: the Mile :smith:)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It'll be interested to see how sales are this year, there were slim pickings in the SW Vista when I ordered my tickets a couple of months ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I will be completely shocked if they aren't sold out at this point.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hearing Calabro say during the driver introductions "Ladies and gentleman, the 2-time World Driving Champion making his first start, hailing from Spain, its Fernando Alonso!" is gonna be so loving cool

hopefully that dude that was doing record scratches during driver intros last year is fired out of a cannon into the sun by then

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of the coolest things they did last year at the start of the broadcast just let the cars roar across the start line and for like a whole lap it was just the sound of the cars.

It probably was completely unintentional but it was sweet as all hell.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

I'm all for IndyCars sounding like screaming chainsaws

and also making literally everyone who does not wear ear protection permanently deaf

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

financially racist posted:

and also making literally everyone who does not wear ear protection permanently deaf

the IRL 4.0 days. I watched NASCAR guys stuff cigarette butts into their ears to try and survive.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

It was Rossi's dream to race F1. Gets to Indy, decides he likes it there and seems to be staying. I think it's sort of a weird dichotomy here. F1 is definitely the premier racing circuit where the huge amount of money lurks if you're good. But it's so drat cutthroat that I think some people view it as suffocating, and decide Indy is the way they want to go. Is there as much fame and fortune in Indy? No, but it also feels more down to earth in a lot of ways.

https://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2012/the_way_it_is_no361.html

quote:

"In Formula One," Fittipaldi wrote, "they are ready to destroy a guy as soon as he makes one mistake. If you make it in the door to F1 you must be prepared for this aspect. Formula One is a very hard-headed form of motor racing. The American mentality is different and it's one of the reasons I enjoyed Indy car racing so much. In F1 they are always looking at who is going to replace this guy or that guy next year. If a young guy is off the pace, for whatever reasons, they will soon be saying something is wrong with his mind, that he can't do it anymore.

"There is a lot of bull like that in Formula One. There is a lot of talking behind peoples' backs. It takes the smallest thing and they will start calling somebody a wanker. They'll say that somebody else is too old, too set in his ways to do it any more. If you are not hard-headed enough in Formula One, they will destroy you very quickly."

Believe what you will, but any young driver--American or otherwise--and their sponsors or patrons should pay heed to these lessons in how F1 works. It's an extremely tough, hard-edged world, as any young American who tries to break into F1 and the promoters at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin and Weehawken in New Jersey are sure to learn.

quote:

Indianapolis is, of course, the spiritual home of racing in the US, and probably always will be. The Indy 500 was first held there more than 100 years ago, in 1911 to be precise, and, apart from a few years missed during World War One and World War Two, it’s been a national racing institution in the US ever since. I won the race twice - in 1989 and and 1993, both times in a Penske-Chevy - and the day I was inducted into the legendary Indianapolis Hall of Fame was a proud day indeed.

In time, that would change, and in the 1980s and 1990s I actually won considerably more Indycar races - 22 - than the 14 grands prix I’d won in F1 from 1970 to 1980. In so doing, I had some great times and made some great friends - most particularly the grandees of the great American racing dynasties - the Unsers (Bobby and Al), the Andrettis (Mario and Mike), AJ Foyt, Johnny Rutherford, Rick Mears, Bobby Rahal, Danny Sullivan and many more. They were all wonderful guys. And, perhaps principally as a result of those friendships, although F1 will always be foremost in my affections - because it’s the pinnacle of our sport, with the most challenging circuits and the most sophisticated cars - I’ll admit that I enjoyed Indycar even more, for its warm ambience, for its friendly rivalry, for its sporting ethics, and, yes, for the purity of its enthusiasm and respect for its own sporting heritage.

But, if you’ve never been to the Indy 500, here’s why. The Indy 500 is utterly sensational. The spectacle of sitting trackside in the Turn One grandstand, watching big heavy powerful single-seaters thunder past your nose at around 400km/h (249mph), is quite unlike anything that any F1 fan has ever seen. The word ‘awesome’ is often over-used by sports fans and in particular sports writers, but undoubtedly the Indy 500 deserves that accolade: it’s truly awesome. As a result, US racing fans, who had grown used to having their minds blown and their guts wrenched by the Indy 500 on an annual basis, found F1 races at Indianapolis very disappointing.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/blog/emerson-fittipaldi/emmo-can-austin-build-a-us-legacy/

I've heard similar comments from quite a few drivers who came overseas to here. The respect towards the ladder series here is very good, (Stephen Gregoire: "Had I known :911: racing was this good and with the ladder system they have here? I'd have not bothered with europe"). Same with Rossi, Montoya who have said teammates in IndyCar are truly teammates. Not "rivals" in which your goal is to beat them and laugh when they fail.

Rossi has said he loves how friendly guys like Daly, Hinch and Marco are to him. He said that doesn't happen in F1.

And I mean for Rossi? I imagine it worked out even better than he could have dreamed. I've never seen a guy go from being "meh' about the series, the 500....to being in TEARS doing the post race pace car drive thanking all the fans.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2012/the_way_it_is_no361.html

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/blog/emerson-fittipaldi/emmo-can-austin-build-a-us-legacy/

I've heard similar comments from quite a few drivers who came overseas to here. The respect towards the ladder series here is very good, (Stephen Gregoire: "Had I known :911: racing was this good and with the ladder system they have here? I'd have not bothered with europe"). Same with Rossi, Montoya who have said teammates in IndyCar are truly teammates. Not "rivals" in which your goal is to beat them and laugh when they fail.

Rossi has said he loves how friendly guys like Daly, Hinch and Marco are to him. He said that doesn't happen in F1.

And I mean for Rossi? I imagine it worked out even better than he could have dreamed. I've never seen a guy go from being "meh' about the series, the 500....to being in TEARS doing the post race pace car drive thanking all the fans.

The other issue is that there's so many talented drivers, and so few of them even get a chance in F1 because all the spots are taken up for decades by proven guys.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

IanTheM posted:

The other issue is that there's so many talented drivers, and so few of them even get a chance in F1 because all the spots are taken up for decades by proven guys spoiled rich kids and oil money boys.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Cygni posted:

hearing Calabro say during the driver introductions "Ladies and gentleman, the 2-time World Driving Champion making his first start, hailing from Spain, its Fernando Alonso!" is gonna be so loving cool

And then Nando screaming YEEHAW when he wins it. :swoon:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Eyud posted:

And then Nando screaming YEEHAW when he wins it. :swoon:

https://youtu.be/tdBwgwU7R6E

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

The other real big difference I feel between F1 and Indy is fan interaction. "Oh, test day is canceled? Let's load up the drivers and do a meet and greet instead!" Like F1 is so secretive in the paddock and Indy is all "Eh, we don't care."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My friend scheduled his wedding on Indy 500 weekend.

:negative:

Who does that?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Someone not worth the time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

Someone not worth the time.

This.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to sit at the 500? Or is it all pretty decent?

I sat in Upper H Stand, Sec 22, Row Z last year, and was quite happy. It was too far away to see the pole, but the view of turn 4 and the pit entrance was excellent. I just did a search for Upper H Stand, and came up with Sec 24, Row Y (approximate view - the fence is closer in reality), which is even further from the pole, but would compensate with a better view of the turn 4 entrance.

Tip: If at all possible, get a seat close to the aisle (at least in regards to H Stand, numbers closer to 1 - sections there are paired, with each one being 15 seats long). The bleachers are crammed like sardines. Also, absolutely wear sun protection, hearing protection (unless you're half-deaf already), and bring or rent a cushion. Plenty of water too. A covered seat is far preferable, if you can find one. In fact, I also did a search for C Stand, and found some covered, high row seats (approximate view). Better pit viewing than H Stand for sure, though I personally prefer seeing the turns up close.

I've only been once, so you'll need ask/look around for info not about turn 4 or the front straight. Try futzing around with that 3D viewer, this guide, and the available tickets until you find a sweet spot.

And don't forget about parking. You can buy a pass, though be warned that the closer to the lots you get, the worse the traffic is. If you want to park quicker, there's a good amount of unofficial parking available (people's front yards), at similar prices to the official parking.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 16, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Alonso's gonna be at Barber to start the hype train rolling.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Alonso's gonna be at Barber to start the hype train rolling.

:allears:

I really wonder how much culture shock he's going to have coming over here, even with the fan interaction at a random race out in Alabama.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the real shock to him will be racing on an oval for the first time ever.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

financially racist posted:

the real shock to him will be racing on an oval for the first time ever.

He will be fine.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I think it was Pagenaud who was asked how much coaching Alonso would need, and he replied, "Coaching? It's Fernando Alonso."

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: http://racing.ap.org/article/column-so-what-alonso-racing-indy-500?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports
V: :fuckoff:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jenna Fryer has such weird/bad opinions sometimes.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I hope she's just trolling... right?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

NASCAR only matters to NASCAR writers.

It's really obnoxious. The "everything I like is cool and everything you like is lame" mentality that NASCAR and it's press corps have regarding any other racing not owned by NASCAR is childish. Its animus and ridiculous.

I can understand the press not biting the hand that feeds, but if you're so concerned over getting checks than, I don't know, being good at your job, go write about something else.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 18, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

t

Minto Took posted:

NASCAR only matters to NASCAR writers.

It's really obnoxious. The "everything I like is cool and everything you like is lame" mentality that NASCAR and it's press corps have regarding any other racing not owned by NASCAR is childish. Its animus and ridiculous.

I can understand the press not biting the hand that feeds, but if you're so concerned over getting checks than, I don't know, being good at your job, go write about something else.

She is hyper focused on tv ratings for non-indy 500, indycar races too in terms of successs.

it's really surreal because people like her, track forum seem to think that historically Indy car used to get insane ratings that were Cup like back in the day. This....was never the case. It's just kinda like the "JEFF GORDON TO INDYCAR" myth that gets pushed and is kinda easily dispelled if you look at what actually happened there.

As for Fryer? I mean...Okay? This was the sort of stuff I can recall reading in archives about how there was no :911: talent and no one cared about IndyCar in 1992-1993ish. Yet, CART/IMS were probably at their full commercial strength at this point.

It's been also said that the "EVERYTHING S COOL IN NASCAR" attitude you described has actually caused a lot of Cup fans to get even angrier at this sort of crap.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:10bux: says she'd say the 500 was irrelevant if Lewis was coming over since it wasn't Daytona.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Getting angry about Internet posting itt.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shes now engaging in the time honored tradition of trying to defend the article to every person on twitter who tells her the article is bad

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Even David Malsher told her the article was poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Somebody invite Jenna to the F1 thread. She'd fit right in.

• Locked thread