Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

jivjov posted:

I mean...it kinda sorta was. A live action film not part of the main saga and lacking any of the existing main characters? It wasn't at risk of failure, but it was at risk of not being a huge freaking monumental success.

No. It had SW imagery, it tied in to the OT, it had X-wings and the Death Star and Darth Vader. There is no loving way it was going to not be huge.

They'd have to do a musical remake of AotC with an all Philipino cast and no sets like in Dogville to not have a $175 million opening weekend. And it might still manage it.

IronSaber posted:

I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time it feels like you could tattoo the words STAR WARS on James Earl Jones' left buttcheek and people would pay out the nose to go see it.

What he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

No. It had SW imagery, it tied in to the OT, it had X-wings and the Death Star and Darth Vader. There is no loving way it was going to not be huge.

They'd have to do a musical remake of AotC with an all Philipino cast and no sets like in Dogville to not have a $175 million opening weekend. And it might still manage it.

What he said.

I'd say that if they removed Star Wars from the title that might help, but even then... There's really no way I can think of to make Star Wars risky. You could use the property to make risky movies, sure, but their success would never be in question.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Ok, but who is writing the music?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jesus. This whole thing is so cringeworthy, I had to put it on mute.

I hate organized fandom.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Barudak posted:

Ok, but who is writing the music?

Chris Martin.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

feedmyleg posted:

Jesus. This whole thing is so cringeworthy, I had to put it on mute.

I hate organized fandom.

I dunno. I find it kinda cute. Everyone is just excited for more Laser Swords In Space(tm).

Serf
May 5, 2011

drat dude Mark Hamill is looking good. That's that Disney money at work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fine, but ill only watch it once.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
drat Daisy Ridley stone cold denied Jon Boyega's hug. That's the most interesting thing I've seen so far.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Serf posted:

drat dude Mark Hamill is looking good. That's that Disney money at work.

I like how he elevates Rian Johnson as his personal Best Director.

Eat it, JJ.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I said it yesterday but Mark is such a saint.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Danger posted:

drat Daisy Ridley stone cold denied Jon Boyega's hug. That's the most interesting thing I've seen so far.

Waiting on GIF.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I said it yesterday but Mark is such a saint.

:agreed:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

I'd say that if they removed Star Wars from the title that might help, but even then... There's really no way I can think of to make Star Wars risky. You could use the property to make risky movies, sure, but their success would never be in question.

Success and failure are relative terms, and Disney is in a position where a successful use of this property means billions of dollars. So it makes sense that the executives who are making these decisions are thinking in that context, that a Star Wars release that makes under a billion at the box office has to be defined as a failure because its an opportunity lost. Another, different Star Wars film could have been made instead and potentially made more money for the studio.

So I do think that there are ways to make a "risky" Star Wars film, but Rogue One sure wasn't it. It was packed with fan service and was purposely set during one of the most well-known, yet unseen periods of time in the Star Wars timeline.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

HERE IT CO-

teaser poster....

And it's loving rad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

That poster is rad as gently caress.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

that poster loving rules

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is that Hayden Christensen?

I will pay lots of money for one of those.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Kylo

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

TRAILER TIME

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/852912773910548480

Awesome.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ah yes my bad

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Teaser was dope.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's-ah one-ah big-ah lightsabah.

Serf
May 5, 2011

holy poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

shitttttttt that red exhaust was so loving awesome

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Last line has me intrigued also the exhaust ports on those ships were rad as hell.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Last line has me tentatively thinking that the writers might just actually... get it??

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

"It's time... for the Jedi to end."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IronSaber posted:

"It's time... for the Jedi to end."

Very promising

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Heard Yoda when focused on those texts.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dat space battle :flashfap:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

First thing I thought of.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I can already hear the complaints that it looks too similar to ESB.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Raxivace posted:

First thing I thought of.
Closer to home:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

the different giant head sizes is confusing. Am I not seeing some imagery there or is it a reference to something?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think we gonna get 100% goon consensus on the movie poster

Serf
May 5, 2011

The saber going from blue to red with white in the center is very, very good.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

This was another reminder of the power of this stupid kid's franchise. I'm old enough to have seen Star Wars in theaters on its original run. I have no difficulty viewing them as an adult and recognizing their many flaws. I'm a cynical old gently caress who should be way past this kind of stuff, but I actually got a chill from the teaser poster. The poster. I will probably never be able to explain why these movies and the stuff in their periphery still work on me 40 years, a marriage, and two kids later because I can't even explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Shots in the trailer looked beautiful, including what looks like the first book to appear in the Star Wars franchise

• Locked thread