Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ripper Swarm posted:

I literally just did SASO Pro Sapienza last night, so here's the method I hit on that seems fairly reliable. I'll spoiler it in case people want to figure it out themselves.

Start with the Krugermeier, Lockpick, Breaching Charge and whatever you want in the safehouse, think I brought coins but there's enough on the map you can bring what you want - the Baton might be a good pick. Wander around the safe areas hoovering up items, then head to the church and hide in the morgue until the scientist comes. Knock her out and get the dongle + keycard, then head over to the weak wall. Blow it with a breaching charge when no-one's looking and scoot around to the hut with the camera recorder. Lure one guard out with a coin and hit him with the crowbar, stuff him in the container behind the hut (don't worry, the guard up on the ledge can't see you around here). Open the door to the hut and pop the recorder with the Krugermeier, then lure the scientist on the roof down with coins and make him join the guard snoozing in the crate. Shimmy up the pipe and knock out both guards up there once they're facing away and stuff them in the wooden box. Go back to the top of the hut, activate the dongle and wait out the search, then go back up the pipe. This is where I saved. De Santis shows up, drop a stalactite on her as she goes up the steps to the lab building. The stalactite won't show up in instinct from the ledge but you can easily hit it even with the krugermeier. After a few minutes, her guards will leave their position on the topmost ledge, allowing you to go past up the stairs to the observatory. Deal with the one guard on the inside balcony, then use the vhs tape as normal to get Caruso alone. Avoid the temptation to hide as the plague doctor because you're doing this suit-only. Leave via the same route you came in.

I'm sure it can be improved (there's a lot of waiting around), but it's decently safe from RNG nonsense. Good hunting!

My route for SASO Pro Sapienza was similar, but with a different start: I took the bypass scrambler and something else (the baton, maybe) instead of the breaching charge and the lockpick. I started by using the golf ball to blow the hole in the wall, and just waited out the guards searching the area. Since I didn't have the dongle I circled around the cave past the plane to drop the hidden stalactite on the virus, and shot down De Santis' stalactite from the direction of the plane instead of from the ledge. Going that route means you have to pacify the guard by the dock, but you can ignore the scientist on the roof of the security shack and are free to just sneak past the two guards up on the ledge instead of pacifying them. That route opens up the plane and the speedboat by the ruins as relatively clear escape routes once you've taken out the guard by the plane, though going outside to any other exit is still less risky.

It's possible to shoot the security recorder in the shack through the open door while both guards are in there without either of them noticing that you've done it, but it's pretty unreliable and it doesn't save much time; I wouldn't even bother trying it on Pro unless your save is already right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

It can't kill anyone but her (that's literally what Silvio designed it to do) so it's perfectly safe. I've thrown it at her while she's got like 3 people near her and only she will die. The object itself is perfectly harmless (it will break on contact with something but it can't hurt anyone) so if it can be auto-broken like nitroglycerin when it falls off something it should still be totally risk-free to use. It's basically the best assassination item in the entire game because it is outright only capable of killing a target no matter the circumstances.

I only ever found out about it well after I'd played Sapienza to death, so I had no experience with it. I went and tested it after posting that and unfortunately you can't place it, only throw. Apparently it doesn't matter though because the death field persists long after the animation ends.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mondian posted:

That entire wing is a pain in the rear end and I frequently get techs and housekeeping staff spotting stuff happening on the levels below and often they'll just see crimes happening in the basement with their xray vision too.

I'm here to defend that wing: it's crowded and busy, but it works brilliantly by giving you an intricate maze to navigate - and it reminds me a lot of Paris, which is a really good, complicated level on its own. There are three ways into the wing: through the guards, up the pipe into the balconies, and across the easily accessed roof area. You do have to be careful thanks to the open balcony areas inside the building (one time a techie saw me and literally came down the stairs to stare at me while I was moving a housekeeper's body) but it all makes sense, architecturally speaking?

...I guess a lot of why I like it is that it feels naturally complicating and fun to move around in - not like a videogame maze, but like I'm actually infiltrating a busy recording studio full of drunken crew members. For contrast, while Colorado makes sense-ish, it feels more game-y in that ayup, this sure is an artificial military compound stocked with guards. Never seen one of these before.

As for xray vision, welp. Thanks, bugs.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Fneeb posted:

Anyone got any advice for doing Pro SASO on Sapienza? I've pretty much got the soup kill down (I don't know why I didn't just go with the video tapes but my one save is in the kitchen now), I'm just trying to work out the best way to deal with the lab under the assumption that I can kill De Santis with a stalactite after I use the dongle. Better to use the breach charge or go in through the observatory? I figured getting SASO's out the way first would make things less frustrating in the long run, jury is out on that one!

my strat was to poison the soup, run out towards the front of the house and enter the sewers through the little water feature just inside the mansion gate (theres a guard who can see you pretty easily though, plus some cameras)

i then looped around to where you can shoot the dinner bell, then entered the lab and saved my game

shot the virus (took ages because i thought it was bulletproof glass) then shot the stalactite when francesca came down to investigate

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Poison kill works fine but I find dropping the orrery on Caruso to be cleaner and safer.

Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

Poison kill works fine but I find dropping the orrery on Caruso to be cleaner and safer.

i did the orrery and the thrown poison and when i finished the level i earned no mastery or challenges

so i did it again with the soup poison stalactite and it worked

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Weird. You can get at least SA/SO and the related challenges for that. I usually just did those ~4 challenges separately and then did the kill-specific ones when I wasn't pressured to get SA.

Aug 24, 2011

i like to be efficient so i check how many challenges i can realistically knock out SA/SO, which i also do as my first run

after that, i usually have a couple of extra starting locations unlocked, at which point the fun can begin

if pro mode was a bit less horseshit (read: allowed unlimited saves) it would have more replay value to me, but as it stands i'm not touching stuff like colorado because ha ha ha no

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

where the red fern gropes posted:

i like to be efficient so i check how many challenges i can realistically knock out SA/SO, which i also do as my first run

after that, i usually have a couple of extra starting locations unlocked, at which point the fun can begin

if pro mode was a bit less horseshit (read: allowed unlimited saves) it would have more replay value to me, but as it stands i'm not touching stuff like colorado because ha ha ha no

Colordao's not too bad aside from the SASO. You can save after hitting a couple targets, then use the save to clear out the challenges for the remaining targets.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 13, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Plus you get the Ave Maria Gun™ for Colorado pro, don't you?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pilchenstein posted:

Plus you get the Ave Maria Gun™ for Colorado pro, don't you?

Yes! Good point!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Which makes it worth it. Too bad it doesn't keep playing after you've murdered.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Call me uneducated in Hitman lore, but why is Ave Maria the theme song of the franchise? What game made it iconic?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
W

StrixNebulosa posted:

Call me uneducated in Hitman lore, but why is Ave Maria the theme song of the franchise? What game made it iconic?

Well, it was the main menu (and, if I'm not mistaken also final mission) theme in Blood Money and you definitely had to listen to it a lot.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oscarthewilde posted:

Well, it was the main menu (and, if I'm not mistaken also final mission) theme in Blood Money and you definitely had to listen to it a lot.

Ah, simple enough. Thanks!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I never try for a SO for my first run. How can you explore different areas if you have to be careful to never get spotted?
Hell, most of the times I don't even get SA in the first run.
I try to not look too much at all the challenges, since I find they sort of push you in a general direction.
It's more fun if you stumble across them yourself.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah running a level for the fst time, without opportunities and challenges, is magical

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I can see the justification for limited saves, I'm just not entirely sure they should be as limited as they are. One manual save plus an autosave might strike a good balance between save-scumming and the frustrations that come with buggy/weird behavior loving you over.

Boiled Water posted:

Which makes it worth it. Too bad it doesn't keep playing after you've murdered.
It should keep playing while you carry it in your hands, at the very least.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Pro mode should have one manual save and an autosave slot that gets updated just after every completed objective.

Aug 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

i believe it's the theme song because it's one of those things you think "this song just doesn't work in this environment", specifically a environment about brutally murdering people while this angelic tune plays

and yet, when you actually experience it in context, it works completely. the dichotomy/dissociative themes, when used correctly (in any medium) can strongly amplify a user's experience, which is what happened with ave maria in blood money

in the context of hitman, its best use was of course blood money, and i think its worst use was in one of the hitman movies where they literally just stuck it in because "hey guys, hitman!!". however it's also a nice callback with the sniper rifle, and a hilarious one with the ICA explosive phone, both of which are using it correctly

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The only place I've seen Ave Maria used in Hitman so far is Hitman Go and it really works to highlight the target levels. Super atmospheric and...almost intimate?

It works with 47's Catholic background, too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

StrixNebulosa posted:

The only place I've seen Ave Maria used in Hitman so far is Hitman Go and it really works to highlight the target levels. Super atmospheric and...almost intimate?

It works with 47's Catholic background, too.

I've always connected it back to this as well. Obviously, the end of Hitman 2 has him abandoning the church/religion and embracing what he was made for, but he also mentions he'll never forget his friends. I like to think this is why Landslide has the Savior 47 opportunity, too.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
47 is known to have a soft spot for preiests, nuns, and orphans. To whatever extent he has a soft spot for anything. That's one consistent thing from Hitman 2 through '16, though most prominent in 2 and (sigh) Absolution.

Curiously, he seems to have no problem killing parents to create orphans, though there are only a few targets known to have kids and none with young kids. Strandberg has a college age daughter, but she hates him. Everyone else has had adult children as far as the game tells us.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Except for literally the best mission in Blood Money. In "A New Life", the mobster and his wife are getting ready for a kid's birthday party. The clown isn't JUST there to spray his seltzer all up in Mrs. Microfilm.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I mean you don't have to kill Vinnie's wife, so the kids'll still have one parent. You usually do kill her though since it can be an easy accident for the necklace and Blood Money is really accident-friendly.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

On this ET I learned two things I really should have tried in normal missions first.
1) Breaching charges will destroy speakers instead of dropping them.
2) When you set off a breaching charge, make sure you aren't standing on the second one.

I should have learned my lesson with the last ET, where not understanding how car explosions work made me have to improvise and get shot.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 14, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man getting 47 to play the drums in Bangkok was so great, I figured he was going to be terrible which would piss off Cross and allow me to get him alone. What they did instead was way better :allears:

Aug 24, 2011

the hitman tv show should involve 47 showing his high level of expertise at various things with the actual murder being an afterthought

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

the hitman tv show should involve 47 showing his high level of expertise at various things with the actual murder being an afterthought

Season finale: 47 must infiltrate a Dance Dance Revolution convention to face his greatest foe yet.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

It's basically a travel show, but during the talking-head interviews with whoever's being featured you can occasionally see a pair of limp feet being dragged away through an open door in the background.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

The Kins posted:

It's basically a travel show, but during the talking-head interviews with whoever's being featured you can occasionally see a pair of limp feet being dragged away through an open door in the background.

In scene changes halfway through the interview clips sometimes the subject mysteriously becomes bald.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Am u missing something? I just reached level 20 mastery on Sapienza but the morgue starting location still isn't unlocked?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Am u missing something? I just reached level 20 mastery on Sapienza but the morgue starting location still isn't unlocked?
You need to actually go to the morgue and get in the open coffin.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah that's a special unlockable start point, same with the Consulate Garage on Marrakesh. I think those are the only two that are uniquely unlocked by challenges.

Note this also means they are not available on Professional for whatever reason.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm so poo poo at Paris

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

julian assflange posted:

I'm so poo poo at Paris
The trick is to realize that the facade of the palace is full of frisk-free shortcuts, and people will only notice you if the guards are already out to kill you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I have a bad idea. Where can fire accidents occur in Bangkok?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a bad idea. Where can fire accidents occur in Bangkok?
There are only two sources, both oil drums outside in the back area. One's in the back corner near where the trio of employees is on break and one's the barrel next to the tuk-tuk. The tuk-tuk one will cause said tuk-tuk to explode so it's not ideal, but the other one works fine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nakar posted:

There are only two sources, both oil drums outside in the back area. One's in the back corner near where the trio of employees is on break and one's the barrel next to the tuk-tuk. The tuk-tuk one will cause said tuk-tuk to explode so it's not ideal, but the other one works fine.

Excellent. Gonna make a stalker fire and a chef electrocution and a hotel manager electrocution contract. The Sheraton Migration.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
This one should be simple and reasonably fun. The bonus conditions aren't required, I just added them for an additional layer of Fun™ if you wish. There's also Suit Only but I can't imagine this would be all that much faster with a disguise honestly.

I Know Paris Inside & Out (Paris-PC): 1-02-9249288-02
A simple Any/Any contract in and around the front entrance of the palace. For bonus style points, use default equipment, and for super style points don't go into the palace at all.