Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

May Contain Nuts posted:

When I give a cashier an amount of coins that doesn't equal the amount of the change on the bill and they try to tell me that I'm giving them the wrong amount of money.
Total is $12.32. When I hand you $13.07 don't try to hand me back the nickel, and then when I insist i meant to give it to you, roll your eyes and punch in $13.02, give me $0.70 back, and then when I point out that I gave you 7 cents give me back my nickel.
Even if I were wrong, what harm would it have done to just take the money I give you?
Why would you do this? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Current peeve: travelling with someone who (positive part) is keen to explore a new city with you and go on walks to check out the local area or spend a day trekking around the museums or giant zoological park here, but (negative) packed four pairs of shoes -- all some kind of high heel dress shoes or sandals.

And then complains that I'm walking too fast or that they want to sit down every 10 minutes because their feet hurt. I'm pretty talk and have a long stride naturally, and having to shuffle so that she can keep up with me in her absurd shoes is making my knees hurt :(

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

May Contain Nuts posted:

When I give a cashier an amount of coins that doesn't equal the amount of the change on the bill and they try to tell me that I'm giving them the wrong amount of money.
Total is $12.32. When I hand you $13.07 don't try to hand me back the nickel, and then when I insist i meant to give it to you, roll your eyes and punch in $13.02, give me $0.70 back, and then when I point out that I gave you 7 cents give me back my nickel.
Even if I were wrong, what harm would it have done to just take the money I give you?
congrats, you're an uncommunicative rear end in a top hat, one of my pet peeves from my time working as a cashier.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

there are some children using the stairwell as their playground in our building and their stomping and screaming woke up the neighbor's baby

it's nice outside just go outside

the people below us have thrown dozens of cigarette butts and beer bottle caps all over the grass and it's loving gross. their ashtray is like a foot wide and completely full

e: this was a few days ago, the part visible from our balcony

snoo has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Apr 14, 2017

TMDTN
Oct 10, 2005
This Mixed Drink Tastes Nasty...
When people tell the homeless to "just get a job" or "just go to a shelter."

What groundbreaking advice I'm sure they'd never thought of. Gee golly mister you saved their life!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Why would you do this? :psyduck:

To get three coins back instead of a bunch more

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bring me the head of whoever invented the car alarm.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

docbeard posted:

:same:

Even if someone is under the bonnet disconnecting the battery I wouldn't pay attention

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember a car alarm on my street when I was growing up, that had a synthesized woman's voice saying "help... please help!" It inspired many grim thoughts.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh wow, I haven't thought about voice car alarms in years, talk about a creepy technological misstep.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

To get three coins back instead of a bunch more

Something that would also get you three coins back instead of a bunch more: give the cashier $12.35.

Or, for no coins at all: Use a card.

Or! One more option! Take the coins and put them in something else at the end of the day, like a coin jar or bank, so that you don't wind up in a situation where getting more than three coins back is going to mentally break you or something.

All more valid then giving a seemingly random amount of cash/coins to the cashier and expecting them to read your mind to find out what you want back.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

TMDTN posted:

When people tell the homeless to "just get a job" or "just go to a shelter."

What groundbreaking advice I'm sure they'd never thought of. Gee golly mister you saved their life!
It's funny how the same people tend to get mad when the homeless/really poor have access to things that they would need to get a job.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Celery Face posted:

It's funny how the same people tend to get mad when the homeless/really poor have access to things that they would need to get a job.

People are loving horrible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Homeless/poor people are loving horrible.

I concur

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

more like oldhomeless

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

docbeard posted:

Bring me the head of whoever invented the smoke alarm.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
gently caress all of my local stores for not having decent lemonade selections. All they have is that Simply crap and the hipster flavor ones that are also half tea.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

when people take all of a thing without asking.

I bought some chips for dinner for my family tonight, but my rude aunt decided that her having the munchies was more important than anyone else getting anything for dinner, and ate all of the chips.

rude.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
You eat chips for dinner?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

docbeard posted:

This, except smoke alarms.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You eat chips for dinner?

With hamburgers and hotdogs? Yes. That's like, lazy summer dinner 101

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

MizPiz posted:

gently caress all of my local stores for not having decent lemonade selections. All they have is that Simply crap and the hipster flavor ones that are also half tea.

Half-lemonade half-tea is called an Arnold Palmer and is actually the poo poo. That Simply stuff can go to hell though.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

genetic_knockout posted:

Half-lemonade half-tea is called an Arnold Palmer and is actually the poo poo. That Simply stuff can go to hell though.

Proper Arnold Palmers are the poo poo, what I have a problem with is the half Cran-apple flavored lemonade, half green tea poo poo.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

MizPiz posted:

Proper Arnold Palmers are the poo poo, what I have a problem with is the half Cran-apple flavored lemonade, half green tea poo poo.

Ah yes. I understand now.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
There is one particular youtuber who travels around tasting food from all over the world, I like seeing all the different food he finds and places he visits but one thing drives me loving insane, almost without fail he makes the most exaggerated face of "oh god yes this is the best food ever mmm", stop it! I get the food is probably wonderful but it just irritates the poo poo out of me because it's like he doesn't actually understand how to visually show satisfaction in any other way.
For reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RBtgpC9ZI&t=118s

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Speaking of youtube video habits: why does every single "vlogger" out there feel the need to have a jump cut every 3 seconds? I get that clips need to be edited together but they seem to go out of the way to use them for "humor". It's never funny though, it's just annoying.

Also every sped-up montage of walking/driving/whatever does not need some lovely techno song playing during it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tarantula posted:

There is one particular youtuber who travels around tasting food from all over the world, I like seeing all the different food he finds and places he visits but one thing drives me loving insane, almost without fail he makes the most exaggerated face of "oh god yes this is the best food ever mmm", stop it! I get the food is probably wonderful but it just irritates the poo poo out of me because it's like he doesn't actually understand how to visually show satisfaction in any other way.
For reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RBtgpC9ZI&t=118s

His O-face is forever burned into my brain and I hate it. There's another guy named The Food Ranger (Trevor James) who makes this stupid Mmmmm noise when he eats. The two actually collaborated on some videos recently too so you can see them both do their dumb gimmicks at the same time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5bu3RFna2Y

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Parasol Prophet posted:

Something that would also get you three coins back instead of a bunch more: give the cashier $12.35.

Or, for no coins at all: Use a card.

Or! One more option! Take the coins and put them in something else at the end of the day, like a coin jar or bank, so that you don't wind up in a situation where getting more than three coins back is going to mentally break you or something.

All more valid then giving a seemingly random amount of cash/coins to the cashier and expecting them to read your mind to find out what you want back.

A. Had I had 35 cents I would have done that. (or paid 37).

B. Go gently caress yourself.

C. The point of this venture was to not have a pocket full of coins for the remainder of the day..

D. They don't need to read my mind to find out what I want back. They're standing in front of a cash register that does the math for them. What I expect them to do is take the money I hand to them, enter that amount in the register, and give me back the amount that is displayed on the screen. It isn't unreasonable for me to try to get my change back in as few pieces of money as possible, but I'm not going to be the rear end in a top hat mansplaining exactly why I'm handing them exactly these coins.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

May Contain Nuts posted:

C. The point of this venture was to not have a pocket full of coins for the remainder of the day..

D. They don't need to read my mind to find out what I want back. They're standing in front of a cash register that does the math for them. What I expect them to do is take the money I hand to them, enter that amount in the register, and give me back the amount that is displayed on the screen. It isn't unreasonable for me to try to get my change back in as few pieces of money as possible, but I'm not going to be the rear end in a top hat mansplaining exactly why I'm handing them exactly these coins.

You might be the only person in human existence who has ever tried to do a transaction like that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

May Contain Nuts posted:

It's not mansplaining you dumb goon, just say "three quarters back please", it's not hard and no cashier in the country will be confused or get angry by it because normal people do it all the time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

May Contain Nuts posted:

Don't make the tired, sad wage slave go out of their way just because you're too much of a grognard to carry some dimes around.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

May Contain Nuts posted:

The cashier has had twelve people before you during that shift who handed them the wrong amount of cash. The job inherently puts you on autopilot, so unless you communicate what your novel and totally normal plan is all about, they're just going to try and give you back the extra money.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I am on a 4 hour train ride, and there is a family with a baby. The baby isn't even crying or anything, but the mom is trying to soothe it or something by making these horrible loud shushing sounds every 10 seconds. Like "sh sh sh sh sh shhhhhhhhh". Omg it's driving me bonkers. It's ten times worse than any sound a baby could make.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BigFactory posted:

You might be the only person in human existence who has ever tried to do a transaction like that.

My dad does this, and so I've picked up the practice as well, with two important differences:

1) I do it with amounts of money that make the whole process a shortcut. For example, the bill is 13.10 and I hand them a twenty and a dime.

2) If the cashier looks confused or tells me I gave them too much, I just tell them what I'm up to and that I should be getting back $7, "trying to get rid of my coins. :)".

I haven't done this years; the only time I use cash anymore is at "cash only" food carts which are pretty rare themselves, and cash only food carts deal in whole-number prices by and large.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The key is to say what you are doing instead of stubbornly remaining silent waiting for them to figure it out. What's so hard about that? It's literally just a few words - "# (denomination) back please" and it eliminates any confusion. The fact that anyone would consider this "mansplaining" is so ridiculous to me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
[quote="Che Delilas" post=""47141901"]

1) I do it with amounts of money that make the whole process a shortcut. For example, the bill is 13.10 and I hand them a twenty and a dime.
[/quote]

Normal people do that. You get a dollar back. Giving some random extra amount of money to get another random amount back is nonsense.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Normal people do that. You get a dollar back. Giving some random extra amount of money to get another random amount back is nonsense.

Also it looks like you might be trying to run a shortchange scam.

Okay so I'll give you $5.60, my bill is $2.30, but wait here is another quarters, no wait you give me back the dime and....

gently caress you.

I hate the lack of patience in people. At work, from 7 to 9, there is ONE person running the center I start my route from, so when I come in about 8, there can be a long line. And people see me wearing the company shirt and instantly ask me questions, or loudly complain I am taking too long to get a register open. I love the looks on their faces when I can one, ignore them, and two, get my gear for outside work and walk right outside to my van, and never even nod to them. I get the idea a lot of our bad Yelp reviews are from this. "Waited in line and was ignored for five minutes!"

And I used to try to help them, but a 'quick question' usually became a 10 minute ordeal. No mam, I don't know how much it costs to make a vinyl banner. No, I don't have access to the register, I can't give you a refund. No, I don't know why your file is hosed up.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

May Contain Nuts posted:

Get a bank account. You will not have a pocket full of coins for the remainder of the day if you pay with a card.

Coincidentally, the bank is also where you can go if you want to exchange your coins for different coins instead of acting like the cashier at a store is a bank teller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Coins are for peasants and in the unfortunate situation I must deal with them I always throw them contemptuously on the counter where they scatter and roll around and I laugh at the shame and cringing manner in which the employee must gather them