Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sit on my Facebook posted:

Ah man I was on your side till this post

It's pretty true. Delver's generally not considered a tier 1 deck in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Ah man I was on your side till this post

I don't understand the appeal of playing Delver in a format without Brainstorm and Ponder. Do you just really like 1/1's for U?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

Is Aristocrats a deck in modern?

I posted an Aristocrats list in the Eternal thread (that I cribbed from MTGGoldfish) but I haven't actually been able to play it yet. No idea if it's good or not but it was fairly cheap.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Grixis shadow is so much more powerful than delver right now it's not even funny. It's just a better use of the shell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

Grixis shadow is so much more powerful than delver right now it's not even funny. It's just a better use of the shell.

Its not even close.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Grixis Delver has pretty consistently been floating between t1 and t2 status for a while now, y'all probably shouldn't be underrating the card Delver of Secrets as much as you are. The deck is good and has a bunch of results.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sampatrick posted:

Grixis Delver has pretty consistently been floating between t1 and t2 status for a while now, y'all probably shouldn't be underrating the card Delver of Secrets as much as you are. The deck is good and has a bunch of results.

Nah, it's bad.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mcmagic posted:

You can't play it on T1 and attack with it on T2 as a 3/2 like you can with delver.

Seems like you didn't think of the classic: Godless Shrine, Ornithopter, Slaughter Pact, Bone Picker -> upkeep Angel's Grace.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I posted an Aristocrats list in the Eternal thread (that I cribbed from MTGGoldfish) but I haven't actually been able to play it yet. No idea if it's good or not but it was fairly cheap.
Does the vulture slot in anywhere? Sac dudes, play birds.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

it's easily the worst card in the deck

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Siivola posted:

one card for one body with no synergy is not where the sacrifice deck wants to be

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This looks nuts, Morbid buzzard is a house, limited should be fun. Hopefully an inexpensive r/b or b/w aggro deck shakes out for Standard, seems like there's enough stuff here to pick from to open up some new viable decks.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Today I learned that young pyromancer is worse than worse delver despite yp being better than good delver in that deck. It's a wild wild world.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This card is sick for limited:

all the multicolor uncommons are sweet.

Never mind Limited! I've got a Kangee EDH deck, and I am seriously considering putting this guy in there. I would get a little less value since all of my creatures already have flying, but Vigilance in EDH isn't that bad either, especially since I've got a bird that taps other birds to draw cards.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

this works with persist, right? :staredog:

oh I guess it's not any better than melira

here we go...

]

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

you might not care but others do

very glad the creative team is focusing on what's important in the story

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This looks nuts, Morbid buzzard is a house, limited should be fun. Hopefully an inexpensive r/b or b/w aggro deck shakes out for Standard, seems like there's enough stuff here to pick from to open up some new viable decks.
My very pessimistic guess is that there's a couple of weeks of shakeups as Felidar gets banned and people figure out if there's enough hate to answer Mardu or not, but then the Internet hivemind settles on a ~best deck~ and everyone plays either that or the deck that goes 50/50 with it.

Then everyone complains a lot, moves over to Modern and the same thing happens with Death's Shadow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

here we go...

]

Does that work if it's a cost?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

little munchkin posted:

here we go...

]

A 2mana infinite mana combo? Interesting... But wasn't this infinite with Melira too?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

A 2mana infinite mana combo? Interesting... But wasn't this infinite with Melira too?

Melira just stops the ability from working.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mcmagic posted:

I think Melira prevents you from paying the cost whereas the new one replaces your cost with cost-1

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

End of Life Guy posted:

I think Melira prevents you from paying the cost whereas the new one replaces your cost with cost-1

Oh Ok...

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Why would a demon care about estrogen??? Or literally anything other than its pact??

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Vizier-druid could be a modern deck, you can go T1 mana dork T2 druid T3 vizier and kill them with walking ballista.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 14, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

here we go...

]

FYI, if you want some of these you better get them right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

Not really, since you're just draining your opponent with Blood Artist/Zulaport Cutthroat. In a perfect world that deck wins without ever needing to swing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The neat thing about that combo is you can CoCo into it.

E: that kind of deck probably needs Ulvenwald to work though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

The neat thing about that combo is you can CoCo into it.

E: that kind of deck probably needs Ulvenwald to work though

And then you kill them with a Billion/Billion Walking Ballista!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Foils are either gone or jacked up already. I snagged a set of non-foils from eBay for $2.50 though.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It's even got the upside, compared to legacy food chain, that you can do it with a ballista on the board rather than in hand. Traverse is probably the best way to glue things together since you can't chord/company for the ballista or any other good infinite many sinks.

EDIT: maybe you can get away with it in a chord deck, since you can do the chord -> witness -> resto -> kiki thing immediately with infinite mana.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 14, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Oh hey they actually did put in an uncommon Limited build-around for cycling!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

uninverted posted:

It's even got the upside, compared to legacy food chain, that you can do it with a ballista on the board rather than in hand. Traverse is probably the best way to glue things together since you can't chord/company for the ballista or any other good infinite many sinks.

EDIT: maybe you can get away with it in a chord deck, since you can do the chord -> witness -> resto -> kiki thing immediately with infinite mana.

Another loving deck that wants 4 Bauble

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

black potus posted:

Today I learned that young pyromancer is worse than worse delver despite yp being better than good delver in that deck. It's a wild wild world.

Pyromancer is frequently cut from the deck nowadays.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what's your win-con with infinite G? Genesis Wave into other infinite combos with Finks, Redcap, Viscera Seer, etc?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

So what's your win-con with infinite G? Genesis Wave into other infinite combos with Finks, Redcap, Viscera Seer, etc?

Tutor up Ballista and smoke them for a billion.

As a bonus using a ballista to ping something before doing that, or even just hitting it off of like a CoCo helps push you towards Delirium on Ulvenwald.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Sickening posted:

Aaaaaaand done. Isle of Cards, incidentally, is my new favorite place to order from.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

Oh hey they actually did put in an uncommon Limited build-around for cycling!

Oh poo poo

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

little munchkin posted:

this works with persist, right? :staredog:

oh I guess it's not any better than melira

What happens if you have this and Winding Constrictor both on the Battlefield?

They're both replacement abilities, not triggers, but they're both replacing the same effect, so do they both take place simultaneously and negate each other, or can you choose which one applies first, and get away with shenanigans, claiming the vizier reduces the number of counters to 0, negating the Constrictor's effect?

Edit: the closest I can find to this case in the Comp. Rules is:

quote:

614.6. If an event is replaced, it never happens. A modified event occurs instead, which may in turn
trigger abilities. Note that the modified event may contain instructions that can’t be carried out, in
which case the impossible instruction is simply ignored.
614.7. If a replacement effect would replace an event, but that event never happens, the replacement
effect simply doesn’t do anything.

So...shenanigans it is?

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 14, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This seems like a decent enough sideboard answer to Copycat Combo. Then again, Authority of the Consuls hasn't really held it back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Looks like a copy editor hosed up.

• Locked thread