Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Obligatum VII posted:

I agree that I would have loved to see clever group tactics applied to AI for enemies, but frankly, I don't think FROM could pull it off. They barely manage coding aspects as is and good AI is really quite hard. You'd also have to make sure it wasn't TOO good and deliberately made mistakes from time to time.

Maybe so. The wolf pack AI in Ashes of Ariandel is fun and all but it gets a bit annoying when you're just trying to make it through the area without being all that bothered by them.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That anyone would listen to a single word a person this idiotic says is something my mind can't fathom.

iirc what he actually said is that he likes the art style change but thinks the overdone visual effects spoil it, which I would agree with because the bloom in wind waker (especially the HD version) is ugly as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think the lovely church fake boss in 2 is a collection of enemies that compliment each other well. The crawly guys and the shooty guys pressure you so you can't just deal with the other simply, but aren't oppressive. But a fair group encounter is a joke of a boss in a game with that room in iron keep and the second bonfire in shrine.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

CJacobs posted:

iirc what he actually said is that he likes the art style change but thinks the overdone visual effects spoil it, which I would agree with because the bloom in wind waker (especially the HD version) is ugly as hell.

He might say that later in the video but I closed it when he said the game took the series in a cartoony direction

I can't speak for the HD version but wind waker is beautiful how very dare you sir

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think I ever used a lifegem in ds2 and still liked it. I guess I'm an idiot

ds2 had the best souls combat and bosses (fume+alonne+ivory), ds1 the best world, des the best overall atmosphere and individual level (latria), ds3 the best graphics with a number of good bosses , bb the best weapons + combat overall even though I didn't like yarnham at all and only got into the game with hidden village being so cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Ugh that dude. He bitches about wind waker going in a cartoony direction minutes into one of his videos. That whole series is cartoony

I used to like MatthewMatosis but soured on him as of late. A lot of his analysis is actually pretty shallow and not backed up, he makes weird leaps in logic and tries to read the developer's mind.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Any decent faith builds? Trying to find a good faith weapon. Had been using lothric sword, but are there better options?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Augus posted:

He's saying that healing is very fast in DS3. Which it is.

Yeah it's faster, I just think Blood vials being really quick and non intrusive would have been a better fit for DS3 and I brought up how stupid it was that you had to farm them.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Donald Kimball posted:

Any decent faith builds? Trying to find a good faith weapon. Had been using lothric sword, but are there better options?

I think I recall someone posting here that having just enough DEX and STR to wield the Sunlight Straight Sword and 60 FTH actually yields higher AR when buffed than running a 40/40/40 Quality+FTH build. Can't find the exact post, so I might be wrong, but if that's true, that would definitely add some punch to a high-FTH build.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I liked ds2, don't get me wrong. I liked it more than ds1. I think each game makes good improvements, which is why I'm not interested in going back.

Augus posted:

I used to like MatthewMatosis but soured on him as of late. A lot of his analysis is actually pretty shallow and not backed up, he makes weird leaps in logic and tries to read the developer's mind.

That was errant signal for me.
At least bunny hop remains pure and too beautiful for this world

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I really enjoyed Bonfireside Chat when they were making the DkS1 eps and it was more interesting than hearing some nerd just speculate about lore for 45 mins on a masturbatory youtube vid imo

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm trying to fight the spear of the church now.... uh, did they like buff this boss in the last day or so? The painted guardians specifically seem like 100x stronger than when I was fighting as the boss like a week or two ago.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Tallgeese posted:

You know perfectly well what I am actually saying. I am saying that they basically ignored DS2 in DS3, which last I checked was commonly acknowledged.

Wait till you find out what happens if you touch fire my dude. Clearly this means fire is bad and worthless.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I was playing DS3 last night while my kids watched. I told them to go get ready for bed and they went into their room but got too quiet. I checked and they were sitting around a toy. When I asked what they're doing, my daughter said they're sitting at the bonfire.

I think my kids are going hollow...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Catfishenfuego posted:

Wait till you find out what happens if you touch fire my dude. Clearly this means fire is bad and worthless.

Fire Hot Claims Local Darkwraith

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Actually I would in fact go back to DS2 vanilla in a heartbeat if that's where the online population was because that game was cool and good and DS3 is just not very engaging although at least the PvE balance is a lot better now than it was at launch because you can at least play with like, a bandit knife or Vordt's greathammer or w/e

Weapon Arts suck and Bloodborne's transforming attacks are a far better execution of the concept because I'd actually use those constantly as an integral part of weapons' movesets instead of just using them as an extremely uncommon situational thing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I didn't play blood borne but I really like weapon arts and thing they're a great addition to the series.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't really see how they're analogous to BB's switch attacks.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Number19 posted:

I was playing DS3 last night while my kids watched. I told them to go get ready for bed and they went into their room but got too quiet. I checked and they were sitting around a toy. When I asked what they're doing, my daughter said they're sitting at the bonfire.

Praise the son!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I wish they were on a cooldown instead of using the mana because they're cool and fun but not worth giving up heal estus or attunement level points for my non-mage characters, so i basically ignored them for 90% of the game

even something like ds2's finite spell-charge refill consumables would help

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 14, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They're special moves you do with the leftover shoulder button. They obviously don't fill the same role in the player's toolbox though. I would say they are more homologous than analogous. The real problem with them is that many are pretty useless or not significantly better than regular attacks, yet they consume a non-regenerating resource which regular attacks don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

vandalism posted:

Praise the son!

Just keep an eye out for the patches squat

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some weapon arts are cool, but a huge amount of them are completely worthless. Why use a flashy weapon art that costs FP when you deal more damage, can dodge out of and get poise on a regular R1? :whitewater:

Some of them obviously have PvP merit, but as someone who doesn't PvP I really miss powerstancing. The most fun build I had in DS2 was a curved sword/rapier powerstance build where I had a stab, slash, spin2win AND a parry. You simply can't do anything similar in DS3 and that sucks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Number19 posted:

Kids are amazing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm trying to fight the spear of the church now.... uh, did they like buff this boss in the last day or so? The painted guardians specifically seem like 100x stronger than when I was fighting as the boss like a week or two ago.

Their AI is just incredibly inconsistent. I've done that fight over 100 times now and the painting guardians sometimes act like idiots but other times will combo you like pros. Most of my losses in that fight come not from the Spear summon but rather the painting guardians acting like complete maniacs and not giving me a good window to take them out of the fight.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I wish they were on a cooldown instead of using the mana because they're cool and fun but not worth giving up heal estus or attunement level points for my non-mage characters, so i basically ignored them for 90% of the game

even something like ds2's finite spell-charge refill usables would help

I feel like they could of designed the game to have attacks restore a low amount of mana, which would encourage the use of weapon arts more but still keep mages from having tons of casts without sacrificing estus.

However:

Your Computer posted:

Some weapon arts are cool, but a huge amount of them are completely worthless. Why use a flashy weapon art that costs FP when you deal more damage, can dodge out of and get poise on a regular R1? :whitewater:

Some of them obviously have PvP merit, but as someone who doesn't PvP I really miss powerstancing. The most fun build I had in DS2 was a curved sword/rapier powerstance build where I had a stab, slash, spin2win AND a parry. You simply can't do anything similar in DS3 and that sucks.

This is the real problem with weapon arts. Way too many of them are just loving bad, in both PvE and PvP.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
See the major problem with Bloodborne is the use of chores as a balance mechanism. To the point where it feels like they knew precisely how bad the launch day load screens were and they actually went out of their way to inflict them on you as a punishment.

You have to farm vials if you screw up too much. But that's just the tip of the iceberg: farming implies repeated killing of the same enemies. But you can't rest at lanterns to respawn or to restock, you have to warp away then warp back. So you either take the punishment of walking back to the lantern, warping to the Dream (load screen), then immediately warping back (load screen), or you have to use a Bold Mark, but those cost quite a decent amount of echoes each, and you don't get restocked. In fact, the automatic restocking of vials and bullets is a concession! To restock anything else, you have to walk to the storage box in the dream and interact with the storage box menu! what the gently caress? I mean, items you find in the world warp straight to your storage box in the dream, but you can't get items out of that storage box unless you physically go there? And then when you get to the most difficult content in the game your vials and bullets don't even matter because you get enough echoes to completely max out your storage and forget all about them for quite a while. Remember that on launch day the stocked limits for bullets and vials were something like 60 and 60.

Outside the narrow case of farming, why does the Bold Mark take you to the last lantern you lit or spawned at? Nine times out of ten, you're just going to immediately warp back to the dream. Note that "last lantern you interacted with" is not on that list: interacting with a lantern that is already lit does not re-anchor your death or bold mark respawns to it! Player punishment, again. Needless to say being able to warp from lantern to lantern is right out, you have to walk around and admire the cool warp hub headstones maaan. I guess that's kind of a Demon's Souls thing since Bloodborne is basically Demons Souls II in all but name. And of course you never get an Aged Feather or Coiled Sword Fragment type thing, even after Bold Marks stop having a meaningful cost.

Weapon durability exists, and it first seems like a totally pointless chore because there aren't even any enemy attacks that damage durability in this game. When your weapon degrades to the point where you get a durability warning then it immediately loses a bunch of attack power right then and there. So again you're punished twice with chores: once to actually go back to the dream, scrounge up enough bloods to repair your poo poo and then repair it, but also to check your status screen all the time to watch your durability. Only if you go to the deepest chalice dungeons (again, earn your right to do the actually fun ones by trudging through the lovely boring ones at the start, and earn your right to do THOSE by scouring every nook and cranny for every last material needed to open the next layer) do you realize why durability is there: because the strongest blood gems are balanced through the use of random curses (e.g. constant HP drain, reduced damage against certain enemies), and one of those curses is, you guessed it, a massive decrease in weapon durability. Even that is bizarrely mitigated by the existence of 3% stamina "curses" which have literally no actual meaningful effect in combat, because they're never going to make the difference between five swings and four, just one or two extra frames for your stamina bar to go back to full. Which is kind of a perfect microcosm of the stupidity of this balance-through-chores mentality.

The other big problem with Bloodborne is that so many weapons are only available in the late game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Physical hits regenerating slivers of FP would be fantastic actually

I can't see how this would break the game because you're going to be forced to engage, kinda like the mechanic in Hollow Knight

Hollow Knight is super good btw

Sneak edit: I've never had a problem with farming blood vials (cept for maybe super super early) or weapon durability in my multiple playthroughs of bloodborne, to the point where I'd confidently regard them as total non-issues. But yeah the weapons being locked away sucks

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There already is a system in place for attacks restoring FP, it's just ring-based and only applies to criticals rather than being a core part of the design. A version that applied to all attacks would be interesting, but might have to be pretty weak to balance: if every attack restored as much as Aldrich's Sapphire does now, there'd be no reason to use ashen estus.

Ultimately the problem with the FP system is that it just encourages the player to find the most cost-efficient attack and use it exclusively, so they can devote the minimal amount of flasks to ashen estus. For melee builds that means not using weapon arts more than a couple of times per bonfire. For casters it means a repetitive experience with no incentive to mix spells up. Hollow Knight for example doesn't really have this problem because you'll be constantly collecting Soul through melee combat but also because all the spells have pretty distinct functionality and the game expects you, though doesn't require you, to make use of all of them.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

From Soft is weirdly opaque even for a Japanese Company. Remember, these are the people that hid the DS1 DLC through a random series of events you can kinda never come back to nor read up on ingame. Which lead to people being enraged and demanding refunds.

Which is why I think the expectations in regards to the lore they are making up on the spot are ridiculous.

They always do their own thing, seldom listen to user feedback, never admit mistakes and lose face and give no shits

The gating stuff behind the endgame and offering the most boring of NG+ experiences is what I hate about the series and it turned me off super hard after Bloodborne.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah the Mana system sucks and is only a step up compared to the vancian nonsense.
They're there so noncasters have something to do with Mana, but they don't need spell slots so they'll always have poo poo Mana. They could have big stamina drains instead probably.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Donald Kimball posted:

If you're not adverse to using straight swords then the Sunlight Straight Sword is a fantastic choice for Faith builds now. It has strong Faith scaling (~380 AR at 40 Faith) and can also be buffed with SLB/DB.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah the Mana system sucks and is only a step up compared to the vancian nonsense.
They're there so noncasters have something to do with Mana, but they don't need spell slots so they'll always have poo poo Mana. They could have big stamina drains instead probably.

Shoulda just gave FP for every level like the way they do with HP and defense skills. Or at least some attributes.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Strength builds were butt rear end trash a patch ago so I don't see how "the only way to play the game" Quality is suddenly nonviable now that fat weapons got buffed. Strength builds are typically really really bad at being aggressive. It's boring being passive, but you can be defensive without being passive.

Is the exile greatsword cool? That thing deals more damage sharp infused than refined believe it or not.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Is the exile greatsword cool? That thing deals more damage sharp infused than refined believe it or not.

Heavy and sharp infusions were buffed (and the egs nerfed right after because it was too good.) I think curved greatswords are in a good place but haven't been so people are sleeping on them. People tend not to go for str or Dex weapons that needs a fair bit of the other to use.
Since so many infusions were buffed anything is probably good that was passable before. And a lot of things were passable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I think Murakumo might be better than the Exile when sharp infused on a dex build. Lighter, too. It's actually worth using a curved greatsword other than the Exile for once.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I really miss the "Wag your finger" gesture :saddowns:. The game doesn't feel complete without it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Node posted:

I really miss the "Wag your finger" gesture :saddowns:. The game doesn't feel complete without it.

Same but "Look Skyward" from DS1. Picard gesture best gesture.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ugh highwall is so harsh on a lovely starting character. I just want to be SL 80 already

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Go kill dancer then roll around in the blood of your lategame enemies

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I wonder why they cut out that one DS2 "wind up arm" gesture.

My personal favorite gesture to use is the DS2 "covenant prayer" gesture. It even makes the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I always do a No Shield, No Summon Two-Hander playthru on Souls games. For DS3, I decided to do that on NG+ with Ledo's Hammer. Not exactly a pure skill exercise this way, but whatever.

Ledo's Hammer+5 shits all over every enemy and boss, forever and ever amen. I'm SL125, so I have plenty of stamina and equip weight, so I'm a poise monster and a multi-swing motherfucker and just a specter of doom for the inhabitants of Lothric. So far, the most trouble I had was Abyss Walkers until I just facetanked phase 2 and went shot for shot. Sullevayn gave me a little trouble but the Spin2Win helps make fast work of his shadow. The only boss I'm not really looking forward to is Aldritch, just because it's my least favorite fight in the game.

If you want to do a victory lap of DS3 where you feel like the baddest person on the planet, by all means do a Ledorun.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 14, 2017