Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Looks like speech to text or something is turned on. I know I've seen that box when some accessibility features are on.

Thought it might be something like that but everything I can think of is switched off

e.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Also after the newest updates I have a work laptop I'll have to have our desktop guys reimage, another work laptop that I can no longer select icons from the start menu with, and my brand-new home PC restarted itself endlessly all night. Thanks Microsoft :waycool:

We're still stuck on 1511 at work because anything later won't work with WSUS on 2008R2 - I guess this may be a bit of a blessing

dissss fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dissss posted:

Thought it might be something like that but everything I can think of is switched off

The box is a highlight; I got it to appear by pressing the tab key with that pane open.

Get out of it and go back into it and it shouldn't be there anymore (until you hit tab again).

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Helith posted:

How long is this update supposed to take? Because mine has been sat at 24% for 45 minutes now and it took ages to get to that point. It's been updating for about an hour and a half so far. It's doing something (I hope) because the circle of dots is spinning, but I'm getting worried.

ETA: after 1hr 20 mins it jumped to 30% and it's now rebooting. At least it's doing something. This is going to take all loving night at this rate :negative:

Edit 2 Done, only took 4 1/2 hrs, wtf! That was seriously the slowest install I've ever had. I don't know if the issue was something on my computer or something on microsofts end. At least it's done.

Pretty much the same thing happened to my work laptop. Good thing I was able to grab a spare or I'd have just been sitting around all day doing nothing instead of reading the forums.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My internet works fine, but somethin' ain't right here.

Do you use a 3rd party Firewall like from Comodo? It's a known issue with them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

that is impressively hosed up!

neat

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

man nurse posted:

Maybe it's too early for a verdict, but is this "game mode" thing worth leaving on? Is it even known what exactly it is that it does?

Ars Technica did a write up on it. Supposedly, it prioritizes the game providing very very minor improvements on CPU intensive stuff.

Probably going to need a few revisions before its worth it.

Don't quote me on it, but I think it only works in Window-Borderless mode, and I know I get better performance on Fullscreen, so there's that too.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snuffman posted:

Ars Technica did a write up on it. Supposedly, it prioritizes the game providing very very minor improvements on CPU intensive stuff.

Probably going to need a few revisions before its worth it.

Don't quote me on it, but I think it only works in Window-Borderless mode, and I know I get better performance on Fullscreen, so there's that too.

It has a far higher impact on low end machines, so if you are running overclocked pentium-g's or similar it's going to be worth it, but a 7700k or similar isn't going to see as much impact.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Looks like a missing MUI file. Try running sfc /scannow and see if it fixes things.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

The box is a highlight; I got it to appear by pressing the tab key with that pane open.

Get out of it and go back into it and it shouldn't be there anymore (until you hit tab again).

I should have mentioned this is on a Surface Pro and happens even when the keyboard is disconnected.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dissss posted:

I should have mentioned this is on a Surface Pro and happens even when the keyboard is disconnected.

On-screen keyboard can tab too. Or some other input could have caused it. Does it keep happening?

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Upgrade went OK for me, although it completely maxed out our home lovely ADSL all day when it decided to update (thanks MS!). However, post-install, it looks like whatever mystery group policy I used to remove OneDrive is now ignored. Is there a new way to strip out OneDrive? I have absolutely no interest in ever using it, and I don't like how it shows up everywhere.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dolby Atmos for Headphones is finally available for testing. Sounds pretty drat nice, even with stereo content. Probably gonna spring the money for it ( :| )

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I use EDGE and sometimes when I'm browsing the forums, the page will refuse to scroll. Keyboard doesn't work, using the scroll bar doesn't work. The only thing I could do to be able to move the page down is click the mouse wheel and pull the mouse down but now that has stopped working too. It's on a per tab basis too so if I switch to another tab, it'll scroll fine but that particular tab doesn't scroll. The links on the frozen page are still clickable, it just doesn't let me scroll.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Seems to happen more often on pages with lots of posts.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Biodome posted:

I use EDGE and sometimes when I'm browsing the forums, the page will refuse to scroll. Keyboard doesn't work, using the scroll bar doesn't work. The only thing I could do to be able to move the page down is click the mouse wheel and pull the mouse down but now that has stopped working too. It's on a per tab basis too so if I switch to another tab, it'll scroll fine but that particular tab doesn't scroll. The links on the frozen page are still clickable, it just doesn't let me scroll.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Seems to happen more often on pages with lots of posts.

I wonder if it might be the same issue that is affecting some Chrome users, especially if it is only on the forums. AFAIK nobody has actually figured out what is causing it yet? Rogue ad would be my first guess, but nothing more than a guess.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I forgot if Win10's media download/creation tool makes a UEFI USB or if I still have to use Rufus every time I want to make install media.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Biodome posted:

Huh, I'm occasionally having exactly the same issue in Chrome.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Windows 10 just hijacked my screen and said something about an update and let me "choose" my privacy settings, i noticed everything was disabled except for a sneaky new setting about gathering data and tailoring ads that it had kindly enabled for me. I just canceled and clicked ask me later.

What's up with this?

Having Windows 10 feels like being engaged in trench warfare with my own computer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You're about to get the big update. Make sure you set aside some time for it, it takes about half an hour in my experience (not including download time)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

I forgot if Win10's media download/creation tool makes a UEFI USB or if I still have to use Rufus every time I want to make install media.

If you tell it to do USB, it does that by itself. It can also make an ISO.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hows the creators update with the latest nvidia drivers? I read about a bootloop problem on the gpu thread and wondered if it was still a thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hows the creators update with the latest nvidia drivers? I read about a bootloop problem on the gpu thread and wondered if it was still a thing.

No issues here on my 940.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The USB media it creates is bootable with both UEFI and BIOS, same for the ISO.

In fact, UEFI bootability does not depend on any magic boot sector like BIOS, it just requires a specific file to be in a specific folder on the file system. (And that the firmware in the machine knows how to read the file system, FAT32 is always safe but NTFS is not.)

Shibawanko posted:

Windows 10 just hijacked my screen and said something about an update and let me "choose" my privacy settings, i noticed everything was disabled except for a sneaky new setting about gathering data and tailoring ads that it had kindly enabled for me. I just canceled and clicked ask me later.

What's up with this?

Having Windows 10 feels like being engaged in trench warfare with my own computer.

Supposedly, until you set those and click Accept, you won't get the Creators Update. At least not until they start forcing it out regardless. (If the update installs without you choosing those settings beforehand, you will be forced to choose a set of settings before you can log in.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 15, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

No issues here with SLI 970s.

nielsm posted:

In fact, UEFI bootability does not depend on any magic boot sector like BIOS, it just requires a specific file to be in a specific folder on the file system. (And that the firmware in the machine knows how to read the file system, FAT32 is always safe but NTFS is not.)
Correct, but a warning to those trying to install as EFI: Some firmwares have their BIOS compatibility set up to take priority, so it can be hard to be sure you've booted in UEFI mode on media that could go both ways. There are some giveaways early in the boot process, but the easiest way to tell is if it creates a ~200MB "EFI System Partition" when you tell it to format the hard drive.

If you're doing something more complicated like multi-booting I'd recommend installing a bootloader like rEFInd and using that to manually launch the EFI loader.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 15, 2017

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Used the upgrade assistant to install on my dual booted retina macbook pro. Took about 1 epsiode worth of The Expanse to complete. Works fine, no problems. Yall have cursed hardware or something to be having this many problems all the time.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dolby Atmos for Headphones is finally available for testing. Sounds pretty drat nice, even with stereo content. Probably gonna spring the money for it ( :| )

I tried it, and it seems to be a more subtle effect than Windows Sonic. Whether it's worth $15 or not over Sonic, I'm not sure yet, but you get a month free to test it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So apparently some push updates with the Creator update hosed up USB 2.0 ports on older motherboards? I didn't even get the update and suddenly all my ports and drivers don't work outside of the BIOS. Tried new firmware on my board, but it was discontinued in 2012, so... (Sandy Bridge represent)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So about a minute after booting up my computer, everything (save the taskbar) went black for a few seconds. Everything seems to be running normally. is this some fuckup with my Nvidia drivers or just windows loving up

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did you update to nVidias latest 381.65 drivers? They're the only ones currently 100% compatible with the Creators Update.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 16, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did you update to nVidias latest 381.65 drivers? They're the only ones currently 100% compatible with the Creators Update.

Ill check, but it seems geforce needs to update again

edit: Yes, i am on 381.65

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Probably still some bugs with nVidias drivers. It'll probably take another revision or two before everything is squared away.

I'm on the latest as well, and just today the display bugged out when I got the the Windows login screen. Thankfully nVidia is fairly quick with their releases, so it probably won't be much of a wait.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
If anyone else is running an Education version - Cortana is now installed and enabled in the Creator's update. Before it wasn't even an option to turn on, due to the fact that showing ads to kids in a school environment is kind of bad. Maybe they've updated it so that it doesn't show sponsored content to Education versions?

If you don't like it, you can set the group policy "Allow Cortana" under "Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search" to Disabled. I had to restart my computer for it to take effect; gpupdate /force changed the search bar text, but Cortana was still working.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'd love to check which version I'm on, but GeForce Experience is stuck offscreen somewhere and I can't get it back; it still runs fine and shows up on the taskbar with a preview pane, but Win+Arrow doesn't work and Cascade Windows doesn't work either.

Edit: Okay, got it back, snapping a window let me select it. It is one of many delightful display quirks I have had since installing the Creators update.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been bitching about AMD RX480 with Windows 10 connected to a 4k TV (samsung). You turn the TV off and Windows would resize all windows into the upper left of the screen as if the monitor had been unplugged. It was driving me loving nuts.

Upgraded to the new Creators update. Updated the AMD gpu drivers to the latest supposed compatible with the Creators update and HOLY poo poo, window fuckery seems to have stopped. I think it's specifically HDMI 2.0 TVs along with AMD graphics cards. Thank god.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

so just completed the windows update and now I cannot activate my copy of Windows (Windows 10 Enterprise, legit key from work) any ideas?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Photex posted:

so just completed the windows update and now I cannot activate my copy of Windows (Windows 10 Enterprise, legit key from work) any ideas?

Contact your work IT department.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Photex posted:

Take your computer to work and hit activate while connected to your network.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
What's a good zip opening app I can get out of the microsoft store? Preferably free.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subways Jared posted:

What's a good zip opening app I can get out of the microsoft store? Preferably free.

Why would you do this? ZIP support has been built in to Explorer since before Windows Vista.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fishmech posted:

Why would you do this? ZIP support has been built in to Explorer since before Windows Vista.

Won't open most password protected zip files for one.

Anyway I use 7 zip, but it's not a store app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

dissss posted:

Won't open most password protected zip files for one.

Anyway I use 7 zip, but it's not a store app

Same.

WinRAR is also still a thing.